• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just had maple syrup, real canadian maple syrup for the first time

jet1911

People who prefer the fake stuff are not real people confirmed. They should be reported for being hostile alien invaders.

Are cans that expensive where you're at (assuming the US)? Over here cans (540 ml, or around 18 oz) are typically $8-9 CAD, I've picked them up for as low as $6 CAD or 3 cans for $21 CAD when on sale.

5$ at Maxi las week! :p

jayu26

I can honest to goodness say that I have never actually tried the fake stuff. I see people buying them here in Canada, because it is cheaper, but I just can't bring myself to try it.
Now you need to try some maple walnut cake.

54ea73da7bd1d_-_maple-walnut-h7ei5g-xl.jpg
When I moved to Canada and tasted a maple walnut pastry for the first time I witnessed heaven on Earth for the first time.

Alex

I dunno, I like both maple syrup and brown sugar based syrup.

I use maple syrup more for baking than for pancakes or waffles

One of those rare food items that can easily cost you 4x as much as the fake stuff but is worth every single penny. Pancakes and waffles become an event with real maple syrup.

Unison

Is Canadian Maple syrup some special shit?

I get Costco real maple syrup... sometimes in special bottles. Seems fine (think it's from Vermont). Is that substantially worse?

I live in Ohio, so it's easy to get the real stuff, and it's great.

But I still like the fake stuff too. They're good in different ways.

-Minsc-

When I lived in Colorado none of my friends knew that the syrup they grew up on was not the real stuff. And once they got to try some they preferred the fake corn syrup stuff. Really bizarre to me.

Sometimes what person grew up with is what they'll always like best.

Rule of thumb, forty litres of sap to make one litre of maple syrup.

I'm not sure if I've never had real maple syrup or if I've never had fake maple syrup. People always talk about it but I don't know.

This is what I have in my house right now:
jKOeJbv.jpg

I put it in my oatmeal.
It's basically like every maple syrup I've ever had. Have I been living the high life all this time and not knowing it, or is there another world out there for me to discover?

Maple is probably my favorite flavor. I did a maple syrup walk with my kids last year and got to try the sap directly from the tree. It was pretty interesting. Like a vaguely maple hinted water.

please tell me the Costco/Kirkland stuff is the good kind. In the UK, it's the only cost effective (£14 for a 1 litre plastic bottle compared to £6-7 for a much smaller bottle in the supermarkets) maple syrup I can get. I ran out and tried one of the store-branded ones which turned out to be maple-flavoured for a back up and it wasn't great.

Steejee

I'm not sure if I've never had real maple syrup or if I've never had fake maple syrup. People always talk about it but I don't know.

This is what I have in my house right now:
jKOeJbv.jpg

I put it in my oatmeal.
It's basically like every maple syrup I've ever had. Have I been living the high life all this time and not knowing it, or is there another world out there for me to discover?

That's the real stuff - you can see the 'Grade A Dark Amber' grading on it. Plus you'll basically never USDA Organic with anything that has HFCS in it - I think it's possible, but expensive/difficult.

You could try a darker grade if you want to compare flavors, but you're already in the happy place.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I've had it before, I'm cool with Aunt Jemima's. I don't eat enough pancakes or waffles to care tbh.

Aim_Ed

My Finnish friend sent me an image of "Maple Flavoured Pancake Syrup" and told me it was nasty. Afterward he went to a Canadian specialty shop and found authentic maple syrup then went through a similar revelation.

It always surprises me that maple syrup isn't a commodity in most places.

Buggy Loop

I live in Quebec, maple syrup is in my blood.

When i was in 3 to 6th grade, i was in a private school in a remote place where we stayed there all week and returned home on weekends. One of the activity in the spring was to actually make maple syrup, from taping into the trees, to collecting the sap and then boiling it. It was amazing.

Actually, i find that there is a part in the process where the product is BETTER than the syrup, it's after a few hours when the sap has been boiling, it's some kind of warm sugary water, but not too much, like you could actually hydrate yourself with this. I don't recall the name but it's AMAZING.

GAF, my whole Log Cabin syrup on pancake life has been a lie.

What the fuck is the garbage they serve us, put on our shelves.

Goddamn, I had no idea real maple syrup was so different.

So, what say you GAF, what do you think of real maple syrup birthed from the proud tree loins of Canada?

I say it tastes like fucking revelation.
We don't play.

Dali

That's the real stuff - you can see the 'Grade A Dark Amber' grading on it. Plus you'll basically never USDA Organic with anything that has HFCS in it - I think it's possible, but expensive/difficult.

You could try a darker grade if you want to compare flavors, but you're already in the happy place.
Also when I went shopping it doesn't have ingredients listed... because the product name is the ingredient presumably. That said I think honey says "ingredients: honey" on the bottle, so who knows.

Anyway I didn't see anything particularly amazing about it. It tasted similar to the stuff I had growing up or what they have at IHOP.

Is Canadian Maple syrup some special shit?

I get Costco real maple syrup... sometimes in special bottles. Seems fine (think it's from Vermont). Is that substantially worse?

I wouldn't wash my dogs asshole with the swill they pass as maple syrup in Vermont.

Canadian gold or death

Trojan X

Banned
7-10 dollars for a glass bottle of heaven versus 2.75 for a plastic bottle of shit.

I won't use maple without melted butter.

7-10 dollars?! Wow. Looks like everyone around the world other than Canada gets it bad in respect to the amount we have to pay for Real Canadian Maple Syrup. The things we do for yum yum... Damn.

Trojan X

Banned
I love maple syrup, but my heart will always belong to Golden Syrup. Yes, that's a rotting lion carcass on the can.

Golden Syrup is:

Heaven when covered on Rasin Rock Cake/Bun.
Heaven when covered and cooked with gammon ham along with pineapple chunks
Heaven when cooked with Bacon
Heaven when cooked with Chinese style chicken dish
Heaven when mixed slightly with honey and used as a dip with hot Fried Chicken/Karaage and with a slice of lemon on the side (THIS IS THE SHIEEEET!!!!)
Heaven when cooked with Japanese style tofu dish.

Gold Syrup is not heaven when used as a sauce for pancakes. That's sugar overdose and the taste isn't heavenly when compared to Maple Syrup. Canadian Maple Syrup all the way.

LOL! You see it as a rotting lion carcas on the can too? Same here! Death to that lion and all the flies that festering over it. According to the can, a dead lion plus tons of flies equals sweet sweeeeeet Golden Syrup carcas juice!

biggoldentin.png

Hari Seldon

Sorry Canada gaf, poutine sucks ass. I don't want my french fries to squeak like little bugs when I eat them. I order it with just gravy. I absolutely don't understand the point of the curds other than to squeak. They offer no taste relative to the gravy.

Sorry Canada gaf, poutine sucks ass. I don't want my french fries to squeak like little bugs when I eat them. I order it with just gravy. I absolutely don't understand the point of the curds other than to squeak. They offer no taste relative to the gravy.

And Halloumi, Kefalotiry and Paneer have no flavour?

I see the Canada haters are starting to come out of the woodwork.

First you disrespect out maple trees then you insult our poutine... Might as well throw in a diss about our bagged milk..

I'm telling you we won't stand politely by as you continue these atrocities, the Canadian uprising is coming folks

It's a comin

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Real food >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mass produced garbage

inkls

What kind of bug squeaks and why did you eat them?

Hari Seldon

And Halloumi, Kefalotiry and Paneer have no flavour?

I don't know what those are, I get mine from a few little poutine stands when I go fishing up there. The only thing that the curds add to it in my mind are a strange texture/sound that feels like you are eating bugs when you are just trying to enjoy some gravy fries lol.

Edit: Perhaps I shouldn't say it sucks ass. Of fucking course gravy fries are awesome. I just don't understand why the curds are there lol.

I don't know what those are, I get mine from a few little poutine stands when I go fishing up there. The only thing that the curds add to it in my mind are a strange texture/sound that feels like you are eating bugs when you are just trying to enjoy some gravy fries lol.

Trust me, bugs are crunchy. Except fleshy grubs, they're 'juicy'. Nothing like some good ole QC curds. The curds add the creaminess. The fries add the saltiness and fullness. The gravy adds the savory. I literally had one meal of poutine a day when I was homeless. It's a special food to me.

Dali

Golden Syrup is:

Heaven when covered on Rasin Rock Cake/Bun.
Heaven when covered and cooked with gammon ham along with pineapple chunks
Heaven when cooked with Bacon
Heaven when cooked with Chinese style chicken dish
Heaven when mixed slightly with honey and used as a dip with hot Fried Chicken/Karaage and with a slice of lemon on the side (THIS IS THE SHIEEEET!!!!)
Heaven when cooked with Japanese style tofu dish.

Gold Syrup is not heaven when used as a sauce for pancakes. That's sugar overdose and the taste isn't heavenly when compared to Maple Syrup. Canadian Maple Syrup all the way.

LOL! You see it as a rotting lion carcas on the can too? Same here! Death to that lion and all the flies that festering over it. According to the can, a dead lion plus tons of flies equals sweet sweeeeeet Golden Syrup carcas juice!

biggoldentin.png
Is it not supposed to be a rotten lion corpse?

Is it not supposed to be a rotten lion corpse?

To quote Wikipedia:

The tin bears a picture of the rotting carcass of a lion with a swarm of bees and the slogan "Out of the strong came forth sweetness". This is a reference to the Biblical story in chapter 14 of the Book of Judges in which Samson was travelling to the land of the Philistines in search of a wife. During the journey he killed a lion, and when he passed the same spot on his return he noticed that a swarm of bees had formed a comb of honey in the carcass. Samson later turned this into a riddle at a wedding: "Out of the eater came forth meat and out of the strong came forth sweetness".

Wow!

Top Bottom