• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just had maple syrup, real canadian maple syrup for the first time

Culex

Banned
Living in CT I guess I'm lucky having easy access to CT, Vermont and Canadian maple syrup. PS- venison and maple syrup is amazing.

Fuchsdh

Welcome to the Light

Sadly finding real syrup at a restaurant or store when you're somewhere away from the north can be tough. Easy in Boston, not so much the further south you get. To my surprise even grocery stores in some southerny areas have nothing but the corn syrup stuff.

Now the next step for you is try all the grades. Maple syrup grades aren't about quality but instead about the darkness/flavor. Darker it is, the more maple-ly. Grade B is da bomb, but it can be really weird if you're used to fakey stuff. Grade A Light is the easiest to start with.

I've personally never much liked Grade B, save for cooking and baking where I need some intense maple flavor. Prefer Grade A for my waffles (because when I can eat waffles, why bother with pancakes.)

But either way, the real stuff is so much better I don't understand why you would bother with the fake stuff... I'd rather not have pancakes and waffles than eat it with far worse syrup.

Never had a problem finding it in the DC area, but I haven't ever needed to look further south (or west) than that.

sunofsam

I've personally never much liked Grade B, save for cooking and baking where I need some intense maple flavor. Prefer Grade A for my waffles (because when I can eat waffles, why bother with pancakes.)

But either way, the real stuff is so much better I don't understand why you would bother with the fake stuff... I'd rather not have pancakes and waffles than eat it with far worse syrup.
The real stuff does take up real estate in the fridge and can spoil/mold if not used quick enough.

Living in CT I guess I'm lucky having easy access to CT, Vermont and Canadian maple syrup. PS- venison and maple syrup is amazing.

Yeah, Maine checking in, we just use local stuff. Although when we lived in California we always used the real stuff too, they'd have to pay me to put "pancake syrup" on anything. If you can't afford the money for maple syrup, you're pouring way too much diabetes sauce on your pancakes anyway.

Two years ago we tapped some of our maples and made our own, it was a tremendous amount of work and we haven't gone back again yet.

maple-syrup-1.jpg

maple-syrup-2.jpg

maple-syrup-3.jpg

Those are 5g buckets of syrup, would fill one of those in a couple of days and you'd have to store it and then boil it all down.

Redd

Paying $20 or more for good maple syrup is something I just can't do consistently for some pancakes/waffles that are CRAZY CHEAP to make.

If anyone here can recommend some good quality maple syrup in the $5 range that would be greatly appreciated.

Machine

Every year when sap starts to run, my city has to issue a notice not to tap trees on city property. Too many hipsters want to make their own syrup and don't care that they're damaging the trees in the process.

Aske

it's the most disgusting food on the plant, i wouldn't serve it to a homeless person.

To be fair, neither would I. I'd eat the poutine, and give the homeless person money, or clothes or whatever.

What do you find disgusting? The gravy/cheese curd combo? I feel like beef and cheese go together beautifully, but YMMV.

The fake stuff is trash. Literally just sugar water.

I had real maple syrup sent straight from Canada when I was a kid. It made a huge difference with how much I enjoyed pancakes. I never had the same for years and years till I recently found a store that sold legit maple syrup in glass.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
We got maple trees here in America too op.

I use maple extract more than the syrup though. It's great to add to any dairy or bread recipes. Or over meat before you cook it. Or.... really anything.

Paying $20 or more for good maple syrup is something I just can't do consistently for some pancakes/waffles that are CRAZY CHEAP to make.

If anyone here can recommend some good quality maple syrup in the $5 range that would be greatly appreciated.

jesus, that's expensive. A bottle of locally-made stuff here in NY state costs half that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's pretty easy to find if you live in a bigger city.

partime

Mrs.-Butterworths-Syrup.png

I grew up on this stuff.
So much so when I was in Elementary school I spent the night at a friends house and the next morning they took pride in having this thin syrup that was supposedly "real", I thought it tasted like horse shit.

The corn / sugar industry just completely devoured our entire food chain, luckily there are more and more documentaries giving light to just how corrupted it is. Watch King Corn and Fed Up on Netflix!

GhaleonEB

One of the first decisions I made after I graduated college and got my job was, only the real stuff from then on. I'd always known it was amazing, but couldn't afford it. I've never gone back. It's nice that you don't need very much to get great flavor, too. Had it on waffles this morning with a criminal amount of butter.

The Costco jugs vary in price by season, but we stock up on 2-3 when they are cheap and make them last.

99Luffy

Banned
Im canadian and I dont think ive ever had real maple syrup. Every time I see it on the store shelf the sugar content scares me. 60g+ per serving.

You rich folk and your fancy real maple syrup. You can take this out of my cold dead hands.

original.png

That stuff's BS. It isn't even made out of real Aunt Jemimas.

I have a pair of maple trees shared with a neighbor. Tapped them last year and got a pint or so of syrup after boiling, with a leftover quart of maple sap that fermented over the next year and became a sweet but surprisingly pleasant maple wine/vinegar fusion. This year, the weather was wonky and gave us less sap, and I overboiled the sap and ended up with maple sugar instead of syrup. I expect it'd be nice in a cocktail.

R0ckman

I actually have to be in a specific mood to take maple syrup on my waffles or cakes. I mostly use it in recipes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One of the first decisions I made after I graduated college and got my job was, only the real stuff from then on. I'd always known it was amazing, but couldn't afford it. I've never gone back. It's nice that you don't need very much to get great flavor, too. Had it on waffles this morning with a criminal amount of butter.

The Costco jugs vary in price by season, but we stock up on 2-3 when they are cheap and make them last.

I often find them in remainder stores in MA for a few bucks off of the normal market price. Stuff doesn't go bad so as long as I can make sure the stuff is from a reputable distributor I end up buying it in bulk.

The richest person I know was a college drop out who started his fortune selling this very product in China for a huge markup.

GAF, my whole Log Cabin syrup on pancake life has been a lie.

What the fuck is the garbage they serve us, put on our shelves.

Goddamn, I had no idea real maple syrup was so different.

So, what say you GAF, what do you think of real maple syrup birthed from the proud tree loins of Canada?

I say it tastes like fucking revelation.

I said this in the thread about maple syrup vs fake syrup.... aunt jemima can suck a fat one, real canadian maple syrup all day ery day

p2535748

This is the exact same thing I did. I don't eat that many pancakes/waffles, so it's not a huge line item in my budget, which makes it a no brainer. It's just so much better than the alternative.

My wife used to think there wasn't that big a difference, but after being with me for a while (and therefore using the real stuff), she tried the fake stuff recently and was horrified.

Elandyll

Banned
Just tried the real stuff this morning for the first time ever, and honestly I thought it was really good.

This being said, I really can't justify the price, or the 53g of sugar per serving (vs 8g of sugar alcohol for the one I normally use), for something that is pretty much pure liquid sugar with a slight caramel/ earthy taste.

The taste being very subtle though, I am surprise that some might find it 'horrible'.

Trojan X

Banned
Yup. It's hugely different and massively expensive if imported. Uk prices average of £5.50 instead of the £2.75 knockoff, Japanese prices average around 700yen instead of 300yen. I don't know the US prices but yeah it cost a lot if you are not in canada.

akira28

Yup. It's hugely different and massively expensive if imported. Uk prices average of £5.50 instead of the £2.75 knockoff, Japanese prices average around 700yen instead of 300yen. I don't know the US prices but yeah it cost a lot if you are not in canada.

7-10 dollars for a glass bottle of heaven versus 2.75 for a plastic bottle of shit.

Any of you guys heat up maple syrup and add butter, making it butter syrup.

It's divine.

I won't use maple without melted butter.

Like you OP, I had real maple syrup about a decade ago. Haven't bought a bottle of that fake stuff ever after. And I plan to keep it that way.

The fake stuff is GROSS!

KarmaCow

I honestly had no idea that fake maple syrup was a thing until very recently. I'd rather have nothing than whatever the fake shit is.

Love maple syrup, its like 5 quid a little bottle over here in the uk but its so so good, really love it in coffee ocassionally, gonna have to buy a new bittle soon cos just looked and my half full bottle got like mold or something in it

digdug2k

Canada actually has different types of syrup. Light, dark, ... I have no idea what else. I just know the first time I bought it I bought some expensive light shit at a flea market and thought I'd found heaven. It's never been that good again.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
People who prefer the fake stuff are not real people confirmed. They should be reported for being hostile alien invaders.

Are cans that expensive where you're at (assuming the US)? Over here cans (540 ml, or around 18 oz) are typically $8-9 CAD, I've picked them up for as low as $6 CAD or 3 cans for $21 CAD when on sale.

louiedog

My dad has a client who has a small commercial maple syrup operation. Apparently my dad regularly gets a small bottle of the really good stuff, like the top 1% that these people keep for themselves that you can't really buy anywhere and it's always gone by the time I visit. It's not fair.

Real maple syrup is indeed delicious.

Everytime my uncle comes down from Canada we have him smuggle at least 2 jugs of maple syrup that we try to ration until his next trip.

Top Bottom