• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I LOVE 2D Platformers! (56Kers Beware?)

Tabris

Man, I played some of the old school 2d platformers I loved recently (star wars snes) and they make me realize how weaksauce I am now. I used to be able to beat those games no problem. RPGaming and modern games have made me weaksauce :(

bearcatjosh said:
So is Yoshi's Story worth $10 on the Virtual Console?

Depends on if you can find a copy of the N64 cart for cheaper... any N64 game is better on the N64 than on VC, if just because of how poorly the GC and CC controllers do at trying to be an N64 controller (and that reset-to-retry-the-level trick would take a lot longer on Wii too). But perhaps.

As far as N64 side-scrolling platformers go it's not as good as Mischief Makers or (the N64's best sidescroller) Goemon's Great Adventure, but it is better than Kirby 64 or the other couple licensed sidescrollers on N64. It's definitely not as good as Yoshi's Island... don't expect something the equal of that masterpiece. Even so, it's a good game that definitely gets somewhat under-rated. You just need some tolerance for collection. You finish levels by collecting enough fruits, not getting to the end... even so, it's worth playing. I didn't pay $10 for it though, getting the cart used a year or so ago. It'd probably be worth that much.

Tabris said:
Man, I played some of the old school 2d platformers I loved recently (star wars snes) and they make me realize how weaksauce I am now. I used to be able to beat those games no problem. RPGaming and modern games have made me weaksauce :(

This is absolutely true...

As for platformers go, it's not one of the alltime greats or anything, but recently I was playing Smartball for SNES. Nice, somewhat innovative platformer... I almost finished it, but then accidentally reset my SNES (on the second to last level... darn touchy power connection, I know better than to touch the system while it's on... it's too easy to bump it and have it reset.). There is a level-skip cheat, but it only gets you halfway through the game... oh well. Pretty good game anyway. The "you are a blob that sticks to walls" mechanic keeps it interesting.

Iam Canadian said:
Wait, is that a hack or something? I don't remember that ever happening in the game.

The game has several paths and multiple endings, you know. Did you get all the endings?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
beelzebozo said:
opnxgw.jpg

Wait, is that a hack or something? I don't remember that ever happening in the game.

A Black Falcon said:
Depends on if you can find a copy of the N64 cart for cheaper... any N64 game is better on the N64 than on VC, if just because of how poorly the GC and CC controllers do at trying to be an N64 controller (and that reset-to-retry-the-level trick would take a lot longer on Wii too). But perhaps.

As far as N64 side-scrolling platformers go it's not as good as Mischief Makers or (the N64's best sidescroller) Goemon's Great Adventure, but it is better than Kirby 64 or the other couple licensed sidescrollers on N64. It's definitely not as good as Yoshi's Island... don't expect something the equal of that masterpiece. Even so, it's a good game that definitely gets somewhat under-rated. You just need some tolerance for collection. You finish levels by collecting enough fruits, not getting to the end... even so, it's worth playing. I didn't pay $10 for it though, getting the cart used a year or so ago. It'd probably be worth that much.

Thanks for a really in depth answer! I think I'll give the game a go. It's one of the few Nintendo platformers that I've never played.

Sciz

Iam Canadian said:
Yeah, hack. Couldn't tell you which one, but neither the location nor the boss are in the game normally.

nincompoop said:
Well it wasn't a great game but its still a lot better than some of the crap in this thread, like Gex for example.
Have you even played the original Gex? (not the sequals, or lol gex 64 lol)

And this thread is a "post your favorite 2d platformers" thread, not "post Nincompoop's favorite 2d Platformers."

YYZ

props for picking DKC2, amazing and challenging game. Too bad DKC3 is completely forgettable, ugh.

I really have to wonder what the fuck happened there.

toff74

Just my 2p's worth..

The Great Giana Sisters (Amiga) great SMB rip off.. Played to death..

Magical Turbo Hat Adventure (Megadrive) Fun and Quirky. just how i like'em.

Not too sure how to class these, but will add them anyway.

Rainbow Islands (Amiga) Wow.. what a great port of the arcade

finally

New Zealand Story.. Cute and fiendish!!

The Keen games were my first proper platformers, even before SMB. I remember my best friend used to bring all the Apogee games over on floppy disc for me to play (Wolf 3D, Keen 1-3 etc) and we loved them all. Good times, good times.

Scribble

Asmik-kun Land (NES)
33o39cg.png

1zcl7wk.png

SMB1-style platformer in which you can BUY
abilities using collectables you obtain by defeating
enemies. For example, if you have five eggs, you can
buy wings, which you can use for a limited amount of time.
Nice idea, and you can even buy SCORE. Lol.

Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa (NES)
zk1f6h.png

Konami platformer in which you control a baby. Solid
game that's both fair and challenging. You attack enemies
by shaking your rattle at them, which stuns them temporarily.
You can then use them as platforms, or bop them, kind of like
Koopa Troopas.

Choujin Sentai - Jetman (NES)
2wdd3x1.png

2zywocx.png

Action side-scroller in which you control members of a sentai team. If you die, you have to choose another member to play as.

Wai Wai World 2 (NES)
2j2hnye.png

2w7gtft.png

2qch3ma.png

2hgu3x2.png

2zpmn43.png

Konami crossover platformer game in which you can transform into various Konami characters, including Upa (From above), Goemon and Simon Belmont.

Yume Penguin Monogatari (NES)
4tucra.png

o10fnn.png

VERY unique and cool platformer, in which enemies throw food at you to make you fat. Gameplay varies depending on how fat the penguin is, which is neat.

Princesstual Orgy (NES)
15yiyxi.gif

Capo

The Simpsons: Bart vs. the Space Mutants (NES)

g06424mv18p.jpg

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
256px-Tmnt-box.jpg

Hook (NES)
4ebe_1.JPG

(I don't care what anyone says it was one of my first nes games and I loved it. :D )

Oneself

Lots of "average games" listed here. For those who think that Silhouette Mirage is a platformer, well sorry but it's not. It's a shooter. The PSone version can be found quite easily for around 20$.

ASTAL is overrated. It's shitty. It only looks good.

Try Pandemonium (I don't really remember, but try the 2nd one at least).

Nander

Two Megadrive platformers that I really loved and that haven't been mentioned yet (I think).

Kid Chameleon:
YRkUmDozb.gif

James Pond 2: Codename Robocod:
zaVeJNfWc.png

haowan

Have you been back to play Robocod recently? I have, and let me put it this way, I wouldn't be listing it here.

Teasel

haowan said:
Have you been back to play Robocod recently? I have, and let me put it this way, I wouldn't be listing it here.
YOU FLIED AROUND IN A BATHTUB,THAT ALREADY MAKE IT AWESOME! :mad:

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
JoeMartin said:
Game was fucking awesome for a free game. Played the shit out of it.

Then I got to the end and found out it had the most terrible/abrupt ending in gaming history.

You do all this work and go through all this story and you're building up to the final climactic end and you're like "YES MY QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED!" and then it's all like "The End. <lame cutscene>"

And I was all like "THE FUCK?"

But for a free game it was alright.

do some research. are you suuuuuuuuuuuure you actually beat it? there are several endings. . .

Oneself said:
For those who think that Silhouette Mirage is a platformer, well sorry but it's not. It's a shooter.

Oh, stop splitting hairs - it's a 2d platformer with shooter elements, or a shooter with platforming elements if you like, that doesn't make it any less relavent to this thread, despite what you might think.

Scribble

Mashing said:
Ugh, how could you forget the awesome Chip n' Dales: Rescue Ranger's? That game was sweet.

I've....never played it? You DO know that I haven't played every platformer in existence, right? I played most of the Disney stuff when I was like, five or six, and I certainly didn't go out and buy my own games.

(Wait a second, how the heck did my mother have such good taste to to buy most of the AAA Genesis games? I owned around 40 Genesis games throughout my childhood, and all of them except Talespin and Fantasia are all highly regarded)

Kuran

Banned
I'm a big fan of Bonanza Brothers, which received a nice facelift in a recent Sega Ages release. Making the graphics very clean and crisp. Can't find anything about it online though...

batbeg

I know the game gets a lot of hate here on GAF, but fuck the haters, this is one of my favorite platformers ever:

2hzshuo.jpg

Amazing game, really pushes to me to finding everything in the world and I enjoy every minute, even the ones of absolute frustration and losing.

OnPoint said:
Looks intersting. I'll have to try this.

Make sure you check out the Knytt Stories forums as there are a ton of amazing custom levels for download, some of them are pretty huge too, with some great custom tilesets, custom music etc and alot of inventiveness - Knytt was amazing, but thanks to the level editor Knytt Stories is so fullfilling.

klausbert

No Plok ITT makes my heart hurt.
Plokbox.jpg

SNES_Plok_ScreenShot_3.png

SNES_Plok_ScreenShot_2.png

It looked great and had an awesome awesome Soundtrack. It made my heart not hurt, unlike this thread :( .

Top Bottom