• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love you, Gaf.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I love the Newgaf too. Don't forget to check some amazing classic threads like:

1-"The one with the guy showing is asshole to his girlfriends parents in the stairs" 10/10
2-"The one with the cover art of streets of rage" 10/10
3-"The one with the faceswap app" 9/10

*Names of the threads not acually like that.

Ok, I never usually delve into the internet world of crazy too much, but what is the first thread? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't like the idea of eliminating useful terms and adopting more neutral language in order to avoid potential polarization. I like words that do the job, that have specificity and weight to them. SJW is one of those. It's popular for a reason -- it captures and ridicules a certain type of person. It's a good term. I'll keep using it until there is a better one which captures that type of person (politics, ideology, behavioral patterns, etc).

I personally don't think it's a very useful term and especially because it's popular low-effort thing that's spouted out in frustration. More so since you already acknowledge that it's a term that attempts to ridicule. That said, I can't really force you to use a different word, just come with my objections to the word, why I'm not a fan of it and my desire to have people speak to each other with more civility. I guess it's something we'll respectfully disagree on, as anything else would be retarded.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
pimentel1 pimentel1 Cheers man!

I'd buy everyone in this thread a shot of Rye if I could!

You know, sometimes I Like posts just because they have two opposing viewpoints. It's almost kind of sad how refreshing it is to see two people arguing in a civilized manner.

Boy have things sure escalated these last 10 years...

I love it too. I wasn't a huge fan of old gaf(resetera) as people like me weren't allowed to have opinions without catching a ban for going against the extreme left give mind.

This new GAF is much more friendly. People have discussions and even GASP disagree sometimes and argue their points to each other. Is it slower? Yep. But it's much more substance now that there are more points of view expressed and discussed.

Here's to you, NewGAF:messenger_horns:

Still lovin' Gaf, this place has honestly saved my mental health, it's just so refreshing to be able to talk and blow off some steam.

I see I joined Jan 25, 2018 which was a little longer ago than I thought (I said February), hard to believe it's already been that long, but of course I've only really become a real active poster in more recent months.

Seriously though, I needed a website like this.

ramuh

It's definitely been a change and it is slower paced now. I also have noticed traffic picking up. I'm actually enjoying reading threads now. The old days I would just get angry. 👍

Full disclosure, the other community I mentioned was the AV Club, anyone familiar with that site?

I joined exactly 8 years ago in October of 2010 and it used to be a GREAT community for several years, but over the last couple of years it's gotten worse and worse and now it's almost a ghost town with maybe only 5 users that I recognize from years prior and everyone else a total SJW knucklehead.

Not to mention the quality of the articles themselves have gone way downhill, with no contributors who were there when I started left, it's nothing but left wing propaganda now.

I've almost stopped posting there entirely but it's really hard to let go of a community I was a part of for 8 years and there's people I'm gonna miss but most of them have stopped posting anyway, so what am I doing there?

I'm just very happy to have found a new internet home.

Grimmrobe

I don't see "plenty" of speech policing on the right. It seems to come almost entirely from the left. Maybe it's there on the right somewhere, but I haven't seen it. Certainly not at the level it comes from on the left.

The reason the left tries to police words much more than the right is that the left tends to be physically weak. To compensate for that, they HAVE to be verbally strong - or at any rate to try to be.

In a real community of right-wingers, you wouldn't be verbally abused, you'd just be beaten.

Last edited:

JonesTheTerrible

Neo Member
The reason the left tries to police words much more than the right is that the left tends to be physically weak. To compensate for that, they HAVE to be verbally strong - or at any rate to try to be.

In a real community of right-wingers, you wouldn't be verbally abused, you'd just be beaten.

What?
It isn't a matter of verbally or physically strong/weak, it's a matter of ideological differences and due to those, which aspects of the Constitution are viewed as immutable. You can make a case for your side without insulting the other needlessly.

Grimmrobe

What?
It isn't a matter of verbally or physically strong/weak, it's a matter of ideological differences and due to those, which aspects of the Constitution are viewed as immutable. You can make a case for your side without insulting the other needlessly.

I am kinda insulting both sides.

One is physically weak, the other intellectually. From my point of view, they are both pathetic.

Is this point of view okay to express on GAF?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I am kinda insulting both sides.

One is physically weak, the other intellectually. From my point of view, they are both pathetic.

Is this point of view okay to express on GAF?
Nah, it’s ok. Most humans are dumb.

oilvomer

Funny thing is ResetEra has become what most members said they hated about Gaf, power crazy mods, a sense of self importance, hive mind where nothing but far left policies are accepted, members acting like 2 years olds when the admin dared change something.. the list goes on, I remember all the promises that were made.

Last edited:
Funny thing is ResetEra has become what most members said they hated about Gaf, power crazy mods, a sense of self importance, hive mind where nothing but far left policies are accepted, members acting like 2 years olds when the admin dared change something.. the list goes on, I remember all the promises that were made.

yno4weh.jpg

Freeman76

The people that made GAF intolerable have built another site, and have actually managed to make it WORSE and helped GAF become better. GAF has only benefitted from the meltdown, ironically. The 'other' site has already got a terrible reputation, while GAF improves in the background. I could have listed 50+ users easily who made GAF unbearable, and every one of them has done exactly the same over there. Glad I stayed a member of GAF:)

While GAF was terrible before, it wasn't because it was too left wing, but because it was too right wing (which was the reason I left it, well before the melt down). And, yes, "SJW" is a ridiculous term that anybody should be embarrassed to ever use. People who complain about "SJW" may feel legitimate grievances from a certain political faction. Some elements of the establishment have exploited the anti-racism (and general social justice) movement as a cover to advance finance capitalism (I'm talking about establishment Democrats here), and some working people have been fooled into denigrating the social justice movement because of that. But being anti-racist and anti-sexist is not really a political issue. It's just being a decent human being.

hecatomb

Banned
Well maybe SJW is just a word, if it offends people, there a good chance you might be one. Though maybe I should go back and starting calling people politically correct, like I did in the 90s.

I don't agree with miss treating women, and I don't agree with racist people, though SJWs take things wayyy to far. To a point that only 1st world problems matter, like whens that last time you saw a SJW helping anyone? They should be off in 3rd world countries helping people, and helping homeless people, instead hiding behind a computer and complaining that everything is societies fault.

Last edited:
Top Bottom