• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need a new monitor--some quick questions

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Hey GAF, unfortunately my old Acer S202HL's just developed a handful of dead pixels, so it looks like it's finally time to upgrade. Problem is, I need a display that looks as vivid at 0% brightness, as my eyes are real sensitive to light. I have a secondary monitor, and it's even a higher resolution than my current 900p, but at 0% its shit gets dull as fuck, the life's sucked right out. So I gotta get something new.

I've got a couple options lined up right now: the Acer SB230 Bbix, and the Acer R240HY bidx, but these are IPS displays, and I've been used to TN. Will I be seeing a huge difference? Will these displays offer the same vivid colors at 0% brightness?

Do you know which technical aspects I seek in my search for a monitor with 2,073,600 living, breathing pixels?

Last edited:
I don't know about the brightness but there's a noticable difference between tn and ips panels.
Ips has so much more color and vibrance. And the viewing angles are awesome on IPS.

n0razi

I think you want a VA panel and not IPS.... IPS have great color reproduction but terrible black levels (ie contrast) which will be exacerbated with low brightness settings. IPS panels really need high brightness to maximized their potential. VA panels are second to OLED for black levels which will help with vibrant colors at low brightness.

You also want to make sure your monitor doesnt use PWM for brightness control which will cause flickering and headaches at low brightness settings. You will probably have to look up a review (tftcentral, etc) to see if a particular monitor uses PWM.

Last edited:
For some reason I can’t copy the link on my phone right now but I’m hearing the Samsung UH750 is a great monitor on sale for around 250 bucks on Amazon currently

Looks like it has great image and quality and decent gaming performance

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
For some reason I can’t copy the link on my phone right now but I’m hearing the Samsung UH750 is a great monitor on sale for around 250 bucks on Amazon currently

Looks like it has great image and quality and decent gaming performance
Oh nah, I'm not considering anything at that price point. Not bothering with 4K--if my resolution's lower than others, at least I'll have an easier time maxing out the settings.

Armorian

Banned
Go ultrawide, 2560x1080 doesn't require that much more power and experience is on a different level. And make sure monitor support Freesync/Gsync with at least 40hz as the lowest value, another gamechanger.

Mahadev

The only modern feature you need to care about is 144Hz, it'll fucking change your life especially if you're gaming, please chekc it out before buying a monitor.

Btw regarding your problem I think you're kind of screwed, most modern monitors are bright as fuck and still are at 0% brightness which means that you have to reduce contrast as well and make colors less vivid. My solution to this is a combination of monitor settings and AMD display settings (Nvidia has those as well iirc) to eventually find a sweet spot.

Armorian

Banned
The only modern feature you need to care about is 144Hz, it'll fucking change your life especially if you're gaming, please chekc it out before buying a monitor.

Btw regarding your problem I think you're kind of screwed, most modern monitors are bright as fuck and still are at 0% brightness which means that you have to reduce contrast as well and make colors less vivid. My solution to this is a combination of monitor settings and AMD display settings (Nvidia has those as well iirc) to eventually find a sweet spot.

I think high refresh gaming is important only if you play with m+k and mostly in multiplayer. With gamepad I barely felt any difference between 60 and 165fps (when I had high RR monitor).

Mahadev

I think high refresh gaming is important only if you play with m+k and mostly in multiplayer. With gamepad I barely felt any difference between 60 and 165fps (when I had high RR monitor).

I disagree, even when scrolling sites it makes a huge difference and it's better for your eyes imo. Now I got used to 144Hz monitors even the mouse pointer seems choppy to me on 60hz monitors. Even if I wasn't playing any multiplayer games I wouldn't even consider it an option buying a 60Hz monitor now.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic

Wish Best Buy was still nearby, could at least demo some units before buying :(

Armorian

Banned
I disagree, even when scrolling sites it makes a huge difference and it's better for your eyes imo. Now I got used to 144Hz monitors even the mouse pointer seems choppy to me on 60hz monitors. Even if I wasn't playing any multiplayer games I wouldn't even consider it an option buying a 60Hz monitor now.

I think desktop is the area where high refresh rate shines the most, Windows is finaly smooth above 120Hz (or maybe even 100?). It was tough to return to ~60Hz after experiencing that but it's possible :)

Top Bottom