• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Is a Phenom X6 1055T and an MSI 880 GMA-E45 Motherboard along with 4GB of DDR3 Ram for 200~ a good deal?

My gut says yes, but just want to know your guys thoughts.

Izayoi

Banned
Okay, so the bluescreen I'm getting is:

0x000000F4

Some googling turns up a bunch of different results.

The weird thing is that it's not an immediate crash. My system sort of locks up first, but some applications (like Steam, for example) still work just fine so long as they were active before the freeze. Ctrl+Alt+Delete does not work, and will occasionally turn the screen black. It generally takes about two to three minutes in this semi-frozen state before it finally bluescreens.

Is this in any way related to my overclock or is it an issue somewhere else? Totally random when it happens, but weirdly enough it's never happened to me while I was doing anything stressful like playing games or compiling code or anything like that, just during down time (like using Firefox or watching movies).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
(._.) said:
thanks!

you JEALOUS?! or did I just make this page hard to load? :\
Stretches page. Can't see whole image without clicking, pointless resolution since quality is bad and no real detail to care about.

MSIMagus said:
Is there one time of the year or another that is better to order a new PC? I have been holding off for the last 6 months or so to buy/build a new PC and currently I am still thinking I may try and wait till really close to Diablo 3's release, but if there is a certain point in time thats really good to order I may bite then.
If you have $1k, build now. If you have $6 or 700 it may benefit you to wait till BD comes out in 2-3 months.
Izayoi said:

0x000000F4

The weird thing is that it's not an immediate crash. My system sort of locks up first, but some applications (like Steam, for example) still work just fine so long as they were active before the freeze. Ctrl+Alt+Delete does not work, and will occasionally turn the screen black. It generally takes about two to three minutes in this semi-frozen state before it finally bluescreens.

Is this in any way related to my overclock or is it an issue somewhere else? Totally random when it happens, but weirdly enough it's never happened to me while I was doing anything stressful like playing games or compiling code or anything like that, just during down time (like using Firefox or watching movies).
Cut back OC to stock settings to eliminate the easy problems first. See if it continues.
Run a memtest too.

For the AIO water crowd, the Asetek's WaterChill 2011C is up for pre-order. Doesn't seem like Antec, or anyone else, is going to be re-branding this version or the 2 fan 240mm rad anytime soon. So, it's this or the Corsair H100.

Asetek Re-Introduces WaterChill Cooler Line
http://www.asetek.com/press-room/ne...d-preorder-dates-for-240mm-super-cooler-.html

5P6IF.jpg

Their new universal mounting kit. Adds Intel LGA 2011 compatibility to the mix, and should be compatible with older models. So any Corsair H50 and H70 owners looking to transition to Sandy Bridge-E can pick one up.

5FjSz.jpg

Shambles said:
Yes, and yes. (I think that image breaks the horizontal even for 30" panels) :p I am still relying on my trusty old Q6600 4870 until I upgrade last this year, but even waiting to see what product is out by november GTX 580 type performance still won't be in my price range. After buying a house yesterday who knows, I might be running my 2008 rig for another 5 years, I feel so poor now.
Congrats on the purchase, Shambles.

Nothing wrong in still rocking an OC Q6600.
Besides, owning property > renting your own place > having roommates > being at home with family.

(._.)

Banned
ughh, god. I'm installing the heatsink and it is really bothering me. I applied the gel at the bottom and what I put it onto the CPU some of it spilled out a bit and dripped down a bit. Pulled it off am im trying to figure out how to put it on. should this be a problem? am I fucked? I have never had this much trouble with a heatsink.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I posted this in the Steam Announcements thread, but no one seems to know the answer. Thought I'd try my luck here.

I've been having this weird graphical issue with Hitman: Blood Money on Steam ever since I installed the game:

hitman1.png

That's what it looks like in-game. You can't see shit.

hitman2.png

When I bring up the options menu, you can see where the character is supposed to be, but even then the game has zero color.

Anyone know wtf is going on?

The Teachinator said:
I had similar issues with a superclocked 580. No reason not to contact your manufacturer as I'm sure you're still under warranty. Good luck!

Thanks. Yeah, I'm still under warranty. It's frustrating! lol

comrade

Izayoi said:

0x000000F4

Just popping in the thread but did you do any stability testing to make sure your OC is stable? If not run Prime95 small FFT's for a couple hours at least to test. I personally run Prime95 for about 8-10 hours to ensure stability. If any of the threads error or you get a BSOD you most likely need more vcore.

(._.) said:
ughh, god. I'm installing the heatsink and it is really bothering me. I applied the gel at the bottom and what I put it onto the CPU some of it spilled out a bit and dripped down a bit. Pulled it off am im trying to figure out how to put it on. should this be a problem? am I fucked? I have never had this much trouble with a heatsink.
Make sure to clean it up. It could be a problem if the paste you're using is conductive. You're supposed to apply a grain of rice sized dot to the middle of the CPU. Read the instructions that came with the heatsink and it should clearly explain how to apply the paste. There are also YouTube vids on applying paste.

MrOogieBoogie said:
I posted this in the Steam Announcements thread, but no one seems to know the answer. Thought I'd try my luck here.

I've been having this weird graphical issue with Hitman: Blood Money on Steam ever since I installed the game:

When I bring up the options menu, you can see where the character is supposed to be, but even then the game has zero color.

What GPU?

(._.)

Banned
comrade said:
Just popping in the thread but did you do any stability testing to make sure your OC is stable? If not run Prime95 small FFT's for a couple hours at least to test. I personally run Prime95 for about 8-10 hours to ensure stability. If any of the threads error or you get a BSOD you most likely need more vcore.

Make sure to clean it up. It could be a problem if the paste you're using is conductive. You're supposed to apply a grain of rice sized dot to the middle of the CPU. Read the instructions that came with the heatsink and it should clearly explain how to apply the paste. There are also YouTube vids on applying paste.
The guide just said apply a thin layer and the image showed a big glob spread on the heat sink part that makes contact with the CPU. Dammit, and I just got it to fit onto the CPU perfect. Guess I'm going to have to dismantle it but I'll look at the instructions first.

MrOogieBoogie

comrade said:

What GPU?

ATI Radeon 4670 1GB

First time I've encountered an issue like this with any of my games.

(._.)

Banned
could this gel actually be conductive? Only a little tiny bit splashed outside the area of the cpu. a little bit of it dripped down around the cpu also. Idk if I should take the cpu out and clean it. I'm using a cloth that is used to wipe HD tv's. any tips for cleaning it up?

comrade

MrOogieBoogie said:
ATI Radeon 4670 1GB

First time I've encountered an issue like this with any of my games.
A quick google search doesn't show any problems with that game and your GPU. Are you forcing any settings through CCC or RadeonPro?

(._.)

Banned
I am not sure what kind. The instructions for the fan are very simpe. It is a gray gel and it says COOLER MASTER Thermal Compund Kit on it.

http://i.imgur.com/QtTYd.jpg

This is an image of what I am working with. I honestly don't know how to clean this up.

I do have some alchohol though. I have been wrapping that HD tv screen cleaner rag around a jeweler screw drive and it is doing ok so far. Is this sever?

Aselith

Anyone know a good quality monitor for less than say $150? Obviously I'm not looking for the sky here at that price and size doesn't matter too much except more than 20". I would like it to be capable of 1920x1080 also. I was looking at a couple that got solid reviews if anyone has any experience with the specific monitor or the brand, I'd appreciate any input.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-21.5-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor-STB2210/15939790

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

(._.)

Banned
Wallach said:
Uh, damn. That's kind of a LOT
updated my post w/ what I'm working with. Gonna take a pic of the instructions. I applied what it looks like in the pic. It literally just says "Apply a thin layer of thermal grease" and what I added sure as hell looked thin to me.

comrade

(._.) said:
Definitely clean it up and start over. You basically want a paper thin layer on the CPU. The way I've always done it is to put a small dot in the center. The same size as the picture in the guide shows. Put the heatsink on top and gently twist it to spread the paste around and then screw down the heatsink.

applyingpaste.jpg

(._.)

Banned
I think it is possible to clean it all up. This is going to take forever though. I'm guessing I'm supposed to use an incredibly tiny bit of 99% iso alcohol.

EDIT: damn, a hair thin super tiny bit is under the cpu. Is it ok to touch alcohol to that part of the CPU?

comrade

(._.) said:
I think it is possible to clean it all up. This is going to take forever though. I'm guessing I'm supposed to use an incredibly tiny bit of 99% iso alcohol.
Don't put the alcohol directly on the CPU/Paste. Apply it to a microfiber cloth or coffee filter. If you don't have either you can use other things. I've used paper towels in a pinch but you don't want to leave any lint on the CPU.

Van Owen

Banned
What's the best way to overclock AMD cards beyond what CCC/Afterburner allows? My 6950 seems to max out at 840mhz for the core but i've read people are going higher and it's stable...

(._.)

Banned
comrade said:
Don't put the alcohol directly on the CPU/Paste. Apply it to a microfiber cloth or coffee filter. If you don't have either you can use other things. I've used paper towels in a pinch but you don't want to leave any lint on the CPU.
damn, a hair thin super tiny bit is under on the cpu. Is it ok to touch alcohol to that part of the CPU?

Arsenic

MrOogieBoogie said:

hitman1.png

hitman2.png

I've never seen anything like that before. Have you tried the Eidos Forums? or perhaps the forums of your GPU maker?

comrade

Van Owen said:
What's the best way to overclock AMD cards beyond what CCC/Afterburner allows? My 6950 seems to max out at 840mhz for the core but i've read people are going higher and it's stable...
I use MSI Afterburner.

Fredescu

The best article I've seen on applying thermal paste: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1

Basically, unless you've lapped the shit out of it, a small dot is not going to do the job for a Direct Heat Pipe cooler (which the 212+ is, which most people have). That article goes through various methods for the different types of coolers and shows the ways that gets the best coverage for your cooler type.

This is what they recommend for direct heat pipe coolers:

HDT_TIM_Application_Two_Lines.jpg

comrade

(._.) said:
damn, a hair thin super tiny bit is under on the cpu. Is it ok to touch alcohol to that part of the CPU?
I've honestly never had the problem myself, but I would. Is it right over the edge? I'd use very little alcohol on the cloth and wipe it off. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Fredescu said:
The best article I've seen on applying thermal paste: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1

Basically, unless you've lapped the shit out of it, a small dot is not going to do the job for a Direct Heat Pipe cooler (which the 212+ is, which most people have). That article goes through various methods for the different types of coolers and shows the ways that gets the best coverage for your cooler type.

This is what they recommend for direct heat pipe coolers:
I have the Noctua NH-D14 and tried a few methods. When applied correctly every method was within 1-3C so I've just used the dot method since it's the easiest.

TheExodu5

Banned
I usually clean my CPU with Q-tips + 99% alcohol.

There shouldn't be any issue using alcohol anywhere. It tries up and leaves no residue.

(._.)

Banned
I'm using 91% iso. Think that should be a problem? Should I drive out and get some? I have some coffee filters so I'm good there.

There isn't any left on the motherboard. So thankful none of it went down onto the area where the cpu makes contact with those super tiny pins. Just the cpu I have to clean up now.

Wallach

(._.) said:
I'm using 91% iso. Think that should be a problem? Should I drive out and get some? I have some coffee filters so I'm good there.

There isn't any left on the motherboard. So thankful none of it went down onto the area where the cpu makes contact with those super tiny pins. Just the cpu I have to clean up now.

No, 91% is fine. Just make sure to give it a few minutes to evaporate/dry completely.

clav

(._.) said:
I am not sure what kind. The instructions for the fan are very simpe. It is a gray gel and it says COOLER MASTER Thermal Compund Kit on it.

http://i.imgur.com/QtTYd.jpg

This is an image of what I am working with. I honestly don't know how to clean this up.

I do have some alchohol though. I have been wrapping that HD tv screen cleaner rag around a jeweler screw drive and it is doing ok so far. Is this sever?
Have you ever used glue and glued paper? You're not supposed to use that much. Only a thin layer.

Same concept applies here.

As to clean it up, use a tissue or use a q-tip. If the rest doesn't come off, then use isopropyl alcohol with a q-tip and clean it off. Dip the q-tip in the isopropyl alcohol bottle once and then rub.

If that doesn't come off, then you'll have to find some acetone (i.e. old school nail polish remover) or some goo gone or goof off.

MrOogieBoogie

comrade said:
A quick google search doesn't show any problems with that game and your GPU. Are you forcing any settings through CCC or RadeonPro?

Not that I'm aware of. What settings might cause such an issue?

(._.)

Banned
damn, this was scary. fucking up and then having to spend an hour dealing with the situation. Cleaning an object as small as the cpu for 20 minutes isn't fun. Just about all of it is up and everything is 99% spotless. Hope this didn't have an affect on the cpu. Thanks a ton to everybody who chimed in and gave me advice on this situation.

comrade

Van Owen said:
Is there a way to clock past the low limits...?
Navigate to the folder where it's intalled and open MSIAfterburner.cfg in notepad.
Scroll down to UnofficialOverclockingEULA =
Set UnofficialOverclockingEULA field to the following text: I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
Set UnofficialOverclockingMode to 1 to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path

pyvy3.png

MrOogieBoogie said:
Not that I'm aware of. What settings might cause such an issue?
If you have changed settings in Catalyst Control Center. Make sure everything under 3D Appliucation Settings is set to default. Also have you tried updating to the newest drivers for your graphics card?

Wallach

(._.) said:
damn, this was scary. fucking up and then having to spend an hour dealing with the situation. Cleaning an object as small as the cpu for 20 minutes isn't fun. Just about all of it is up and everything is 99% spotless. Hope this didn't have an affect on the cpu. Thanks a ton to everybody who chimed in and gave me advice on this situation.

What cooler are you using? 212+? If so use the method Fredescu showed you, where you put thin lines on the cooler between the pipes. Filling in the gaps with grease is optional but very easy to do.

comrade

(._.) said:
I've fucked up way worse. Was putting a PC together while drinking and spilled beer on a Motherboard and two SLI'd GTX 275's. Was a very expensive mistake.

Izayoi

Banned
I've returned my RAM and CPU to what they were right out of the box. We'll see if the issue goes away (I miss all of those frames in Bad Company ;_;).

Hazaro said:
Cut back OC to stock settings to eliminate the easy problems first. See if it continues.
Run a memtest too.
Let memtest go through four complete iterations (while at 8-8-8-24), zero errors.

comrade said:
I ran Prime95 and 3DMark11 for four hours simultaneously with no flickering, crashes, or errors of any kind. Prime95 reported a clean test with no errors.

(._.) said:
You'll be fine.

comrade

Izayoi said:
Let memtest go through four complete iterations, zero errors.

I ran Prime95 and 3DMark11 for four hours simultaneously with no flickering, crashes, or errors of any kind. Prime95 reported a clean test with no errors.

You'll be fine.
4 hours may not necessarily be long enough. I've had it error after 8+. I also had a similar problem where under load/gaming my system was fine but when it was idling at 1.6ghz just browsing the web I would randomly BSOD. Upping the vcore a tick gave me stability.

Izayoi

Banned
comrade said:
4 hours may not necessarily be long enough. I've had it error after 8+. I also had a similar problem where under load/gaming my system was fine but when it was idling at 1.6ghz just browsing the web I would randomly BSOD. Upping the vcore a tick gave me stability.
Damn, my vcore was at 1.325v. That seemed awfully high for only 4.5GHz. I'd hate to up the voltage even further at this point, I'm afraid that I'm going to cook my processor (32nm scares me). I'll see how it goes with stock clocks for a few days.

comrade

Izayoi said:
Damn, my vcore was at 1.325v. That seemed awfully high for only 4.5GHz. I'd hate to up the voltage even further at this point, I'm afraid that I'm going to cook my processor (32nm scares me). I'll see how it goes with stock clocks for a few days.
I've been running a lot higher vcore 1.424 @ 4.8ghz (i5 2500k) for months without issue but I'm also willing to buy another chip if I fry it.

Izayoi

Banned
comrade said:
I've been running a lot higher vcore 1.424 @ 4.8ghz (i5 2500k) for months without issue but I'm also willing to buy another chip if I fry it.
Yeah, that's something that I'm not in a position to do right now so anything that high is completely out of the question. If I have to I'll just shoot for a lower clock ceiling.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Izayoi said:
All chips are not equal. I'd set a good mark to aim at 4.4Ghz on ~1.3V set

Your 4.4 to 4.5 jump might need extra pll voltage, extra regs on, or a large jump in volts. You just don't know.

ElyrionX

My PC is 7 years old and I'm dying to build one now and even have most of the components I want in my head already. But goddamb Battlefield 3 is making me hold back.

MUST...HOLD.....OUT......HNGNNH

Izayoi

Banned
ElyrionX said:
My PC is 7 years old and I'm dying to build one now and even have most of the components I want in my head already. But goddamb Battlefield 3 is making me hold back.

MUST...HOLD.....OUT......HNGNNH
That demo you saw was recorded on currently available hardware, which isn't the top of the line anymore.

The more you know.

evanft

Microcenter has a deal where you get the i5 2500k and the Asus P867 Pro mobo for $330 before tax. That sounds like a deal to me, as even with tax, the mobo comes out to about $160, which is cheaper than anywhere online.

I think I'm gonna bite.

ElyrionX

Izayoi said:
That demo you saw was recorded on currently available hardware, which isn't the top of the line anymore.

The more you know.

Wasn't it running on a GTX 580? Isn't that pretty much top of the line already?

Van Owen

Banned
comrade said:
Navigate to the folder where it's intalled and open MSIAfterburner.cfg in notepad.
Scroll down to UnofficialOverclockingEULA =
Set UnofficialOverclockingEULA field to the following text: I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
Set UnofficialOverclockingMode to 1 to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path

pyvy3.png

If you have changed settings in Catalyst Control Center. Make sure everything under 3D Appliucation Settings is set to default. Also have you tried updating to the newest drivers for your graphics card?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom