• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldsnap

So I'm getting some money monday and sort of want to get something for my PC. Right now I have 4 gigs of ram in my computer (two sticks) and thinking about getting another 4 gigs. Can I just buy two of the same sticks and just plug them into the motherboard? Last time I did just this my computer would BSOD all the time.

Coldsnap said:
So I'm getting some money monday and sort of want to get something for my PC. Right now I have 4 gigs of ram in my computer (two sticks) and thinking about getting another 4 gigs. Can I just buy two of the same sticks and just plug them into the motherboard? Last time I did just this my computer would BSOD all the time.

Yeah, make sure they're the exact samething.

Shambles

·feist· said:
Nothing wrong in still rocking an OC Q6600.
Besides, owning property > renting your own place > having roommates > being at home with family.

It does me well but I definitely notice performance issues in newer games like JC2 or CPU dependent stuff like SC2 and Civ5. My 2011 build is also going to be just about as much as getting my woman off her Athlon 4400+/X1500 to something that she can actually play stuff with me without choking back low framerates on minimum settings. However with the house and wedding coming up it's going to be hard to justify spending on components. I'll be renting out the basement and depending on cash flow might even rent out the garage as well. I've slowly been collecting minor parts this year during killer sales. So far I've picked up 8GB of DDR3 for 58$, a TPN-650 for 30$ and a hyper 212+ for 10$. Stuff like the MB/CPU/GPU will wait until i'm ready to buy. In the meantime if I can find a good midcase with a couple of USB3 internal headers I might jump on that. I probably won't touch storage until November either. Both HDD and SSDs are only getting cheaper with time.

ElyrionX

I'm looking at the Dell U2711 monitor and it's a 27" monitor with a resolution of 2560*1440. Now the rig I'm planning to build won't be able to run games at acceptable settings and FPS with the res that high. So what is it going to be like running games at lower resolutions scaled to full screen? And I'm guessing running in windowed mode would defeat the point of buying a huge monitor for gaming?

RS4-

TheExodu5 said:
Killer deal.
Lol yeah. Was close to pulling the trigger on the X760 that was retailing for 150 + tax. Glad I came across the AX750 instead.

So, 4x4 ripjaws or 2x4 vengeance? It's only and $30 difference between them; no harm in just getting 16GBs?

Shambles

ElyrionX said:
I'm looking at the Dell U2711 monitor and it's a 27" monitor with a resolution of 2560*1440. Now the rig I'm planning to build won't be able to run games at acceptable settings and FPS with the res that high. So what is it going to be like running games at lower resolutions scaled to full screen? And I'm guessing running in windowed mode would defeat the point of buying a huge monitor for gaming?

Although you can take a performance hit running in windowed mode as far as image quality goes windows > scaled. When you scale an image the monitor has to decide to keep some pixels and throw away others, leaving you with a blurry mess. The closer you get the resolution to the ratio of the native resolution the less the blury shows up. For instance if you're running at half horizontal and vertical resolution each pixel turns into four pixels perfectly. Generally I always run at native resolution and lower image settings until I hit a framerate I like. Many games won't support windowed mode and those that do might not perform as well as running in full screen. Games like PvZ I play in windowed mode as their UI is more designed around that, I don't feel like panning my mouse constantly over my entire 24" screen for casual games.

ElyrionX

Shambles said:
Although you can take a performance hit running in windowed mode as far as image quality goes windows > scaled. When you scale an image the monitor has to decide to keep some pixels and throw away others, leaving you with a blurry mess. The closer you get the resolution to the ratio of the native resolution the less the blury shows up. For instance if you're running at half horizontal and vertical resolution each pixel turns into four pixels perfectly. Generally I always run at native resolution and lower image settings until I hit a framerate I like. Many games won't support windowed mode and those that do might not perform as well as running in full screen. Games like PvZ I play in windowed mode as their UI is more designed around that, I don't feel like panning my mouse constantly over my entire 24" screen for casual games.

When it comes to scaling up from lower resolutions, wouldn't the GPU be the one doing the scaling and not the monitor?

Anyway, 2560*1440 is a very high resolution that would require a beast of a computer to get games running decently right?

TheExodu5

Banned
ElyrionX said:
When it comes to scaling up from lower resolutions, wouldn't the GPU be the one doing the scaling and not the monitor?

Anyway, 2560*1440 is a very high resolution that would require a beast of a computer to get games running decently right?

Do you need that high resolution?

If not, you could consider getting a 32" HDTV instead. You can get a nice one for $400-500, and 1080p is much easier to run. I use a Sony myself, but last year's LG and Panasonic IPS panels were quite popular for PC use.

tv.jpg

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
That looks a lot like the desk I bought from Staples a couple years ago.

I want to use my 32 inch LG as a PC monitor when I build it as well.

ElyrionX

TheExodu5 said:
Do you need that high resolution?

If not, you could consider getting a 32" HDTV instead. You can get a nice one for $400-500, and 1080p is much easier to run. I use a Sony myself, but last year's LG and Panasonic IPS panels were quite popular for PC use.

Hmm. Not really, no. I don't need that kind of resolution. I just need a larger display than the 22" I'm having now and the Dell U2711 looks really nice.

I hadn't thought of that before though 32" would be somewhat of an overkill at the distance I am from my PC.

How do you hook it up? HDMI? Also, is this possible with a 32" that only does 1080i and not 1080p? Or do I need a Full HD 1080p screen for this?

TheExodu5

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Hmm. Not really, no. I don't need that kind of resolution. I just need a larger display than the 22" I'm having now and the Dell U2711 looks really nice.

I hadn't thought of that before though 32" would be somewhat of an overkill at the distance I am from my PC.

How do you hook it up? HDMI? Also, is this possible with a 32" that only does 1080i and not 1080p? Or do I need a Full HD 1080p screen for this?

Yeah, I use a DVI -> HDMI connection from my GTX 570. Some GPUs have straight HDMI connections now...it results in the same thing.

And yeah, you need a 1080p screen. But like I said, they're cheap.

The only problem is finding a suitable model. The main criteria is that you want something with low input lag. Last year's LGs and Panasonic TVs were great for this...I'm not sure which are the best to get anymore. I have the Sony 32EX400, which is pretty good in terms of input lag, and produces some awesome blacks for an LCD. Sadly, it doesn't really seem to be available anymore.

How far away are you from your monitor? I've convinced 2 friends to move to a TV now, and they'd never go back. We all sit in between 2-4' from the TV. Having a TV that size at a fairly close distance is like playing on a projector. It's amazing. The benefits of having a TV over a monitor are: it's much easier to render 1080p than 1600p (takes half the power), it's cheap, you can hook up many consoles and HT devices to it and get perfect scaling. Obviously something like the Dell would produce higher IQ, but that resolution is very difficult to run...I wouldn't run something like that on less than a 6950 2GB (though preferably something closer to a GTX 580).

Oh, and I'm not sure how they compare to the professional displays like Dell in terms of color fidelity, but they are far, far better than the TN panel monitors that are everywhere.

ElyrionX

Well my eyes are about 15 to 24 inches away from my monitor now, which is pretty close.

Yeah, from what I know, a 32" 1080p TV would run me about the same price as the Dell U2711. I'm just not sure about the size of it and the image quality.

scy

LCD TV wise, LGs are probably still the way to go since they use IPS panels on more of their sets.

AS for monitors, there's a few good TN panels that come to mind:
HP 2509b - Glossy TN.
LG 2442PA - Non-Glossy TN.

And here's a review of the U2410, which is basically the little brother of the U2711.

Glossy TN, to me, is the best of both worlds; better gaming monitor due to being a TN and glossy has more vibrant colors. IPS panels tend to ghost more.

TheExodu5

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Yeah, from what I know, a 32" 1080p TV would run me about the same price as the Dell U2711. I'm just not sure about the size of it and the image quality.

It should run you quite a bit cheaper than the Dell.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039RRCJ8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

vs $800 for a Dell U2711.

(only problem with that LG TV above is that I believe it needs to be bought in store, as there is a panel lottery: MVA vs IPS...you want the IPS)

scy said:
Glossy TN, to me, is the best of both worlds; better gaming monitor due to being a TN and glossy has more vibrant colors. IPS panels tend to ghost more.

It's a tradeoff. TN panels are more responsive and more suited to competitive gaming...but man the colors suck so much when compared to a nice IPS or PVA panel. Ghosting is there on the current IPS panels...but it's not terribly noticeable...especially with all the games implementing motion blur nowadays.

ElyrionX

TheExodu5 said:
It should run you quite a bit cheaper than the Dell.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039RRCJ8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

vs $800 for a Dell U2711.

(only problem with that LG TV above is that I believe it needs to be bought in store, as there is a panel lottery: MVA vs IPS...you want the IPS)

I'm not from the States and the U2711 and 32" TVs are priced roughly the same around here.

Also, I didn't know LG TVs use IPS panels and it's lottery. How do you even check what panel it is before buying? Also, from my experience with LG LCD TVs, they tend to have very poor image quality compared to Samsung and Sony. What makes their TV good for PC usage over a Samsung or Sony, then?

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that the DUll U2711 is actually cheaper than $800 over here. I think it's about $700 and that's before the occasional deals that Dell dishes out every once in a while.

(._.)

Banned
Damn, assembling this pc is taking much longer than expected. Motherboard is in the case with the cpu, fan and ram. Still have a feeling I have a bit too much thermal grease on the cpu but w/e its maybe only a tiny tad. Mainy having problems with the motherboard and case instructions. I'm just not understanding them like my last pc I built.

ElyrionX

scy said:
LCD TV wise, LGs are probably still the way to go since they use IPS panels on more of their sets.

AS for monitors, there's a few good TN panels that come to mind:
HP 2509b - Glossy TN.
LG 2442PA - Non-Glossy TN.

And here's a review of the U2410, which is basically the little brother of the U2711.

Actually, I prefer the U2311 over the U2410 since the U2311 is 16:9. However, the U2311 is only 1 inch bigger than my current 22" Ultrasharp so I don't think it's worth the upgrade even though the U2311 is dirtcheap right now.

scy

There's a few sizes that are guaranteed IPS panels, if I recall; it's a lottery on certain panel sizes. And I upgraded from a Sharp and Samsung panels prior to my current LG and I'd say my image quality now is just as good if not better after calibration.

Besides that, there's a check based off the model number or you can inspect the pixel shape.

TheExodu5 said:
It's a tradeoff. TN panels are more responsive and more suited to competitive gaming...but man the colors suck so much when compared to a nice IPS or PVA panel. Ghosting is there on the current IPS panels...but it's not terribly noticeable...especially with all the games implementing motion blur nowadays.

Well, yeah, it's a tradeoff but, to me, a Glossy TN is the best in-between of the three options (non-glossy TN, glossy TN, IPS). We'll see how I like the colors after calibrating my HP 2509b when it arrives compared to my LG.

TheExodu5

Banned
ElyrionX said:
I'm not from the States and the U2711 and 32" TVs are priced roughly the same around here.

Also, I didn't know LG TVs use IPS panels and it's lottery. How do you even check what panel it is before buying? Also, from my experience with LG LCD TVs, they tend to have very poor image quality compared to Samsung and Sony. What makes their TV good for PC usage over a Samsung or Sony, then?

You really can't compare "image quality" as you see them in store. Samsungs are usually pretty terrible in real world usage...color accuracy is not good, input lag is horrible...they're usually just set up to 'pop' out at you at the store. Sony has some good panels and some bad panels.

The main issue with PC usage is input lag. Some Samsungs have 100-150ms of input lag...this will make your mouse feel incredibly sluggish. The low end LG TVs have very low input lag...closer to 10-30ms, and the low end Sonys have around 30-40ms input lag. The higher end 120Hz models actually get worse, usually going up to around 100ms input lag.

Low end TVs today are usually very good, as long as you get a decent panel. Where they get bad is when you start buying into the slightly more expensive 120Hz and LED backlit sets...those actually look much worse than the low end 60Hz CCFL sets.

scy said:
There's a few sizes that are guaranteed IPS panels, if I recall; it's a lottery on certain panel sizes. And I upgraded from a Sharp and Samsung panels prior to my current LG and I'd say my image quality now is just as good if not better after calibration.

Besides that, there's a check based off the model number or you can inspect the pixel shape.

For the LG, I think the poorer MVA panels have a D in the serial number, while the IPS panels have a W.

I need to find a TV out there that comes with a guaranteed low input lag IPS panel to recommend to people.

ElyrionX

TheExodu5 said:
You really can't compare "image quality" as you see them in store. Samsungs are usually pretty terrible in real world usage...color accuracy is not good, input lag is horrible...they're usually just set up to 'pop' out at you at the store. Sony has some good panels and some bad panels.

The main issue with PC usage is input lag. Some Samsungs have 100-150ms of input lag...this will make your mouse feel incredibly sluggish. The low end LG TVs have very low input lag...closer to 10-30ms, and the low end Sonys have around 30-40ms input lag. The higher end 120Hz models actually get worse, usually going up to around 100ms input lag.

Low end TVs today are usually very good, as long as you get a decent panel. Where they get bad is when you start buying into the slightly more expensive 120Hz and LED backlit sets...those actually look much worse than the low end 60Hz CCFL sets.

For the LG, I think the poorer MVA panels have a D in the serial number, while the IPS panels have a W.

Thanks. I need to go look this up and think about it.

Also, if I purchase another monitor with a higher res than the 1680*1050 on my current 22". Will I have any issues running both monitors at different resolutions in a dual monitor setup with a single GPU?

scy

TheExodu5 said:

Yeah, was pretty sure it was "W" for IPS but not sure on the others. Trying to dig up the panels that are more-or-less guaranteed IPS (42" & 47" LD550 I know is an S-IPS, though that's a bit big for this discussion) over at AVS.

I know according to LG all their xx650's are IPS and they say all their (i.e., from LG) panels are S-IPS. Some panel sizes for them aren't LG-make though which is where this lottery shenanigans comes from. Kind of ridiculous, really.

Honestly, I'd just suggest sticking with monitors (TN or IPS) vs getting a TV to use as it's just simpler to figure it out :x

TheExodu5

Banned
scy said:
Honestly, I'd just suggest sticking with monitors (TN or IPS) vs getting a TV to use as it's just simpler to figure it out :x

Perhaps. Still, TN panels will have flaws, and the IPS panel will be really hard to render. They all have their downsides.

Elyrion...what GPU are you going to be running?

Kyaw

So which specific LCD's are good in terms of image quality, input lag and IPS today? 32inch preferably.
Something that you can buy from Amazon or other e-tailers.

TheExodu5

Banned
Kyaw said:
So which specific LCD's are good in terms of image quality, input lag and IPS today? 32inch preferably.
Something that you can buy from Amazon or other e-tailers.
Not sure yet. Someone's going to have to do some AVSForum research and find out!

ElyrionX

TheExodu5 said:
Perhaps. Still, TN panels will have flaws, and the IPS panel will be really hard to render. They all have their downsides.

Elyrion...what GPU are you going to be running?

I'm kind of torn between the 560 Ti and the 570 though I'm leaning towards the 560 Ti at the moment.

Kyaw

TV research is one of the hardest to do! ><
There are so many and many people have different opinions about them... i'll have a look though.

Also do you find the bigger size screen harder to get used to when gaming competitively?

scy

With absolutely no research at all, I'd say LG 32LD450. It's an S-IPS panel that isn't too pricey but it doesn't seem to be as easy to find anymore (price jumped up from ~$350 to ~$430). I'll have to do research to see what replaced it.

TheExodu5

Banned
scy said:
With absolutely no research at all, I'd say LG 32LD450. It's an S-IPS panel that isn't too pricey but it doesn't seem to be as easy to find anymore (price jumped up from ~$350 to ~$430). I'll have to do research to see what replaced it.

Again. the 32LD450 has been the recommended TV for a while now, but there is a problem: panel lottery.

With the 32LD450, you can get MVA, S-IPS, or H-IPS. The S-IPS are the best as they have the best pixel response times (lower ghosting) and better viewing angles and colors. The MVA are the worst. It's completely up to chance as to what you get, unless you buy it in store and look at the serial number on the box (there will be a W in the case of H-IPS/S-IPS, and a D in case of MVA). I believe the only way to tell the difference in between S-IPS and H-IPS is using a magnifying glass to inspect the pixel pattern. H-IPS, I believe, has three horizontal lines for RGB. S-IPS seems to use chevrons.

I'm thinking there must be a guaranteed 32" IPS panel with low input lag out there...right?

My suggestion: you could just go to a store and pick one up (easy return policy. See if you like the size, and see if the picture is to your liking. If not, return it, then order a Dell.

scy

Two others to consider: LG xxLK450 and the Philips xxPFL5405, though it's a bit more expensive (and I think it uses an LG panel anyway). Again, this is without any real research short of making sure they have IPS panels.

As for S-IPS, it's just "Super"-IPS, which I'm fairly sure most LG panels (which != LG TVs, for the record) are.

The Exodu5 said:
Again. the 32LD450 has been the recommended TV for a while now, but there is a problem: panel lottery.

Yes and there's little to be done about it, honestly. There's very few absolutely 100% guaranteed IPS TVs. 32" is a fairly common size so it's not always an LG Panel in it for these models. And, yes, H-IPS are the three-banded "squares" vs the S-IPS chevron shape.

My suggestion: you could just go to a store and pick one up (easy return policy. See if you like the size, and see if the picture is to your liking. If not, return it, then order a Dell.

Basically, this. You can pick them up in store and check to see what panel type they are (MVA vs an IPS based off the serial number if visible) and do some magnifying glass looks to the panel itself at home to determine which type of IPS it is. It's just better peace of mind, honestly.

Again, hence why I suggest to just grab a PC monitor as they're always helpfully labeled TN or IPS so then you just get to pull your hair out over everything else besides panel type.

ElyrionX

Yeah, did a bit of research myself. It does seem like buying a monitor would be a lot less hassle so I'm going to go that route.

But, of course, I'm now faced with the issue of the high native resolution of a 27" monitor. Maybe I'll hold off for now.

TheExodu5

Banned
If you're just willing to buy a GTX 560 Ti, then that's my suggestion. I'd want more power and more video memory to drive 1440p.

scy said:
Again, hence why I suggest to just grab a PC monitor as they're always helpfully labeled TN or IPS so then you just get to pull your hair out over everything else besides panel type.

Well it depends on what you want. There simply are no big 1080p monitors out there, so TVs are the only choice. The big IPS monitors are nice, but they're pricey, and you need the hardware to support them.

Hmmm...you can get a cheap Samsun 27" TN panel. Not sure how good it would look though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...01431&cm_re=samsung_27-_-24-001-431-_-Product

TheExodu5

Banned
black_vegeta said:
Would it be best to buy a non OC'ed GPU or a pre-OC GPU?

I plan on OC'ing it just see what boost performance I can get out it.

Usually overclocked GPUs are absolutely not worth it. The only ones I've seen that are semi worth it are the GTX 560 Ti...there are some pretty substantial overclocks (~30%) there, which you're not guaranteed to get otherwise. I wouldn't pay anything extra fo them, though.

IMO, get the GPU with the best cooler you can, and overclock yourself. You might get bad luck in terms of overclockability, but that's the luck of the draw. Most pre-overclocks are so laughably minor that it doesn't make a difference.

TheExodu5 said:
Usually overclocked GPUs are absolutely not worth it. The only ones I've seen that are semi worth it are the GTX 560 Ti...there are some pretty substantial overclocks (~30%) there, which you're not guaranteed to get otherwise. I wouldn't pay anything extra fo them, though.

IMO, get the GPU with the best cooler you can, and overclock yourself. You might get bad luck in terms of overclockability, but that's the luck of the draw. Most pre-overclocks are so laughably minor that it doesn't make a difference.

Thank you for the info sir. :)

TheExodu5

Banned
And I should mention that while overclockability with a stock cooler is usually fine, be prepared to have a very loud video card. I haven't bothered overclocking my GTX 570 because of this.

I look forward to getting a sexy Asus DirectCu II GPU for my next upgrade. :)

TheExodu5 said:
And I should mention that while overclockability with a stock cooler is usually fine, be prepared to have a very loud video card. I haven't bothered overclocking my GTX 570 because of this.

I look forward to getting a sexy Asus DirectCu II GPU for my next upgrade. :)

Even with a ASUS DC II or MSI TF II? Aren't they supposed to be ninja like silent?

Edit: Gotcha. Dat stealth edit. ;)

TheExodu5

Banned
Now, keep in mind, fan profiles can often be set differently according to manufacturer. You'll often have to manually control it or create a profile for optimal the cooling/noise ration.

When I had my TwinFrozr GTX 275, I kept it at a constant 40% (which was the noise threshold for it being detectable over the rest of the fans in my case) and just overclocked as best as I could through there. I like have a constant fan speed...which is why I hate my current stock GTX 570. They're quiet at idle, but then spin up quite a bit during gameplay.

Try controlling your fan speed and see how high it has to go before you notice it. Set it as high as you can without noticing the fan, and see what kind of speeds/temperature you get from that. Adjust from there.

TheExodu5 said:
Now, keep in mind, fan profiles can often be set differently according to manufacturer. You'll often have to manually control it or create a profile for optimal the cooling/noise ration.

When I had my TwinFrozr GTX 275, I kept it at a constant 40% (which was the noise threshold for it being detectable over the rest of the fans in my case) and just overclocked as best as I could through there. I like have a constant fan speed...which is why I hate my current stock GTX 570. They're quiet at idle, but then spin up quite a bit during gameplay.

Try controlling your fan speed and see how high it has to go before you notice it. Set it as high as you can without noticing the fan, and see what kind of speeds/temperature you get from that. Adjust from there.

Will do.

*bookmarked for future reference*

Kyaw

scy said:
Two others to consider: LG xxLK450 and the Philips xxPFL5405, though it's a bit more expensive (and I think it uses an LG panel anyway). Again, this is without any real research short of making sure they have IPS panels.

Is this the same LG panel?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ZC3LPA/

Man, 32 inch 1080p IPS panels are so cheap. My £199 on this 24inch TN Samsung panel seems like a waste compared to them now.

scy

I should've reworded that; they use the LG panel, whether or not it's a guarantee is another matter entirely. As for the TV linked, it seems to be the same as the US LG 32LK450.

Kyaw

Is there any other way to find out whether the panel is IPS or not apart from looking at the serial number?

Maybe i can email the distributors about it something.
I think they are discontinued in local retailers now.

Meeru

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

With the 32LD450, you can get MVA, S-IPS, or H-IPS. The S-IPS are the best as they have the best pixel response times (lower ghosting) and better viewing angles and colors. The MVA are the worst. It's completely up to chance as to what you get, unless you buy it in store and look at the serial number on the box (there will be a W in the case of H-IPS/S-IPS, and a D in case of MVA). I believe the only way to tell the difference in between S-IPS and H-IPS is using a magnifying glass to inspect the pixel pattern. H-IPS, I believe, has three horizontal lines for RGB. S-IPS seems to use chevrons.

I'm thinking there must be a guaranteed 32" IPS panel with low input lag out there...right?

isn't h-ips just a newer, alternate ips? i wouldn't call it worse than s-ips

scy

The colors don't "pop" as much as S-IPS, if I recall. Other than that, they're virtually identical in terms of image quality, viewing angle, and so on.

Honestly, there's bigger worries to image quality than S-IPS vs H-IPS like anti-glare coatings that muck up some better panels (Dell has this issue, if I recall).

Here's some discussion on S-IPS vs H-IPS.

Kyaw said:
Is there any other way to find out whether the panel is IPS or not apart from looking at the serial number?

Maybe i can email the distributors about it something.

You can try but I just got a whole-hearted "Meh" when I tried. Amazon has a decent return policy that you should be able to get it returned without paying for shipping back to them possibly.

RS4-

Damn, had to remove the grill on my PSU because it's not flush by design or else I kind of have to prevent the power supply from dropping; and if I do that, I can't pop in the back uhh filter at the rear end of the FT02.

Sorted things out (except for the messy wiring job which I'll fix when all the new parts come in), booted up and noticed the power supply fan didn't spin up. Did some googling and they mentioned that it probably won't unless temps or load are high.

Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom