• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

longdi

Banned
Corsair 650T >>

Have you tried turning the top fan to an intake? It should be more logical, blowing cool air to the ram and hsf while the front cools your gpu and the air gets positive pressured out through the rear.

At the current position, it would be fighting for air with your hsf.

mkenyon

Banned
longdi said:
Corsair 650T >>

Have you tried turning the top fan to an intake? It should be more logical, blowing cool air to the ram and hsf while the front cools your gpu and the air gets positive pressured out through the rear.

At the current position, it would be fighting for air with your hsf.

I'm actually going to probably stick a bunch of fans on the optional mesh side as intake. Have two Zalman V3000s to install on the 5870s. I'll get positive pressure that way, and will need a nice big exhaust to get rid of off the heat they'll dump into the system.

evanft

Soka said:
At that price, you're close to the 570. I don't know off hand which is "better" but definitely compare them before you go all in.

The 570 is better at resolutions above 1080p, but it draws about 100 W more power and is going to cost me at least $35 more. I'm also only playing at 1920x1080, the 570's performance advantage is kinda null.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Thanks man! For video editing, it's really more of the lite DVD to mobile stuff. I'm planning to get the unit most likely right after I move next month or early August. Do you see anything changing at that point?

Now I have to face the fear I am batshit terrified at the prospect of building the computer and not blowing it up.
460s will have probably dried up by that point so you'll be looking at a different GPU, most likely. But there should be something as good or better in that price range.

CPUs might be a similar story, depends on when AMD gets Bulldozer out. I think it's supposed to be sometime around August/September? Not sure what is going on with the delays. You wouldn't be able to afford one of those on a $500 budget anyway, but Phenom/Athlon II CPUs might keep dropping in price.

Otherwise, things should be about the same.

Ether_Snake said:
Mmm that does look good.

And BTW what is the difference between ASUS P8P67 EVO and PRO? Canadian site doesn't have the PRO, but the EVO is better reviewed.
The Antec 300 basic version is absolutely not worth $70. Have a look at some options in the OP.

Also from the OP:

Vw2j9.jpg

evanft said:
The 570 is better at resolutions above 1080p, but it draws about 100 W more power and is going to cost me at least $35 more. I'm also only playing at 1920x1080, the 570's performance advantage is kinda null.

Sounds like you've done your research, in which case you should probably jump on that deal you posted!

evanft

Soka said:
Sounds like you've done your research, in which case you should probably jump on that deal you posted!

I will. I'm also going for the Lian Li K58W and Scythe Mugen-2 SCMG 2100.

Is there any reason to go with 2 sticks of 2 GB instead of one stick of 4 GB? The benchmarks don't seem to show any real improvement with 2 sticks.

RS4-

Ether_Snake said:
Mmm that does look good.

And BTW what is the difference between ASUS P8P67 EVO and PRO? Canadian site doesn't have the PRO, but the EVO is better reviewed.

NCIX, Memory Express, Newegg.ca, they all have the Pro; almost all the main online sellers do; Canada Computers as well if you're near one.

adg1034

I'll be doing a far more comprehensive post once all this actually happens, but I recently got asked by the dad of a friend of mine if I would build his new work computer. He's a financial planner who works from home, does massive amounts of internet work, spreadsheets, stock tickers and the like, but he also appreciates the thrill of all-new technology, and is ready for his new machine to be as fast as humanly possible. It'll also be a tax write-off.

I was more than happy to oblige.

Below is the parts list for what will be his final setup:

Intel i7 2600k
Asus P8P67 Pro (yes, I know about the bad reviews, but they all seem to be for the pre-revision 3 board)
Fractal Design Define R3
4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Corsair 850W (non-modular) Enthusiast PSU
Asus 2GB Radeon 6950 (2x DVI, 4x DisplayPort)
240GB OCZ Vertex 3
2TB Western Digital Caviar Green
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
4 active DisplayPort -> DVI adapters
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
6 24" AOC monitors (1920x1080)

Overkill? To be sure. I gave him the pros and cons of the 240GB Vertex 3 over the 120GB version, but even knowing that while the 240GB was faster, the 120GB was still going to be blisteringly fast enough, he still went with the 240GB. My conscience is clear. Everything's ordered and on its way. And I get to put all this together.

Van Owen

Banned
Just unlocked the 6970 shaders on my Twin Frozr II and OCed it. Now the latest Witcher 2 patch needs to hit steam so I can start playing. :)

RS4-

Van Owen said:
Just unlocked the 6970 shaders on my Twin Frozr II and OCed it. Now the latest Witcher 2 patch needs to hit steam so I can start playing. :)
How did you do yours? I'm going to give it one more shot on my current mobo

Anyone able to advise me with this worrying issue?

My pc rebooted itself (was watching tv so I didn't mind it any attention, figured it was windows update), I heard an extra beep which caught my attention but didn't get up to see what was going on.

I check my pc an hour later come back to a black screen with this message :
"reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

So now I'm like oh god my HDD just crapped out on me didn't it.
A reset didn't do anything, couldn't get into the bios from that screen either and a reset booted right back onto that screen.
So now I'm really worried.

I only slept for an hour last night so I decided to just turn it off n take 10 mins to think before I do something drastic like order a new HDD before even knowing what's going on.

I power the pc up again (after removing all my usp peripherals, not that this mattered probably, it's just a habit of elimination), this time it did boot (with the usual 'wasn't properly shut down do you wish to boot into safe mode' when things do go sour).

I've never seen the bolded line before, and have been fortunate with my HDD's so far, so is there anyone who has had something like this happen?
Is my HDD dying on me? (the no bios thing confuses me and doesn't make sense)
I checked the bios and everything seemed normal (as far as I can tell with this sleep deprivation)

HDD is a 1TB spinpoint f1, only 3 years old. I've made zero changes to my boot sequence in msconfig, bios settings, mobo drivers etc in over a year, and haven't formatted since 2009.
It has been slower than usual later and making more searching noises but I figure(d) that is because it's nearly full (90GB left).

I can't function properly atm with so little sleep, so I'll wait till tomorrow before I do any troubleshooting , sigh =(
If it's dying on me I definitely need to start making back ups, really don't want to download my entire steam folder again etc.

AZ Greg

I know this is a high-end PC/parts recommendation thread for the most part, but I was hoping you guys could help me out in finding a solid laptop for ~$500.

Obviously I'm not trying to play Crysis on the thing. Just a laptop for all the casual stuff like browsing, e-mail, etc... But there are a couple things that I want to be smooth that require a little bit of power:

1.) GGPO - If you aren't familiar this is the software that lets you play old arcade games, mostly fighters, online and virtually lag free. Apparently the process to do this requires decent CPU work. Then again, I had a friend who had an eMachines like 3 years ago that would play with me and he had good performance in every game but 3rd Strike which was especially unoptimized back then. So maybe it doesn't require too much, especially by today's standards.

2.) Video Playback - This may be another meaningless concern considering today's CPU tech. and considering the fact that I've kinda been out of the loop. But I guess an old laptop I bought back in early 2007 has me preemptively worried. It was a budget laptop at the time and right around the $500 price point. When I'd try and play some 720p MKVs, whether it was movies or anime with subtitles, the audio and video would get out of sync. So this is a problem I want to avoid and am hoping todays tech. does avoid.

Anyway, I currently have a desktop with an E8400 and 8800GT so the above things work without a problem so I haven't had a need to follow how laptop tech. is handling things like the above. But now that I'm in the market for one I wanted your guys' opinion. When I search the $499 laptops I see a lot of models with i3 CPUs clocked at ~2.50ghz, 2-4GB ram, and Windows 7, which I still don't have any experience with and don't know how it helps if any in terms of optimization for the above two things when compared to Vista.

So, some perspective (Am I too concerned? Will these laptopls handle that stuff with no problems?) and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

nilbog21

Banned
hey i have a noob question.

right now im using a samsung 1tb hdd as a secondary hdd in my comp (aka win7 is not installed on it), can i put this hdd into my new rig and just install win7 on it and keep all the data that is currently on it?

or do I have to set up a new partition on it first and install win7 on that clean partition?

thx guys

The Stealth Fox

I need a cheap PC microphone solution, stat! I don't care if it's USB or not, just something that doesn't sound like garbage over skype like some of these monitor mics on laptops.

squicken

SneakyStephan said:
Anyone able to advise me with this worrying issue?

My pc rebooted itself (was watching tv so I didn't mind it any attention, figured it was windows update), I heard an extra beep which caught my attention but didn't get up to see what was going on.

I check my pc an hour later come back to a black screen with this message :
"reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

Whenever you reboot your PC, tap repeatedly on your boot menu key (usually F8). See if your drive is being recognized and if there are any priority issues. Also check your BIOS to see if for some reason USB devices are prioritized over your HDD at boot.

If there is a problem recognizing your drive, check your connections inside the machine. SATA cables can come loose. If it's still an issue try the drive on a different SATA port with a different cable.

If none of that works your drive is dying.

CaLe

CaLe said:
Hey guys,

I just can't seem to get Eyefinity + Crossfire to work.

I have three monitors plugged in one card using DVI + 2 Active Display Port adapters.

This setup worked fine with only one card, but then I recently bought a new system along with a new 6870 to be able crossfire.

Now, whenever I try to toggle Eyefinity on, my screens blink and then stay black. I can't do anything. Sometimes rebooting doesn't do anything and I have to do a system restore to be able to use my monitors again.

Any idea ? This is driving me nuts.

Thanks

Edit:

Cards used: XFX 6870
ATI Driver: 11.5

Anyone here ever experienced issues with Crossfire + Eyefinity .. ? The behavior I'm getting is worrying me...

evanft

I'm also looking for a good keyboard, but I'm more in the market for something in the low end. Something like this would be good. I'm not going to be doing any typing on the computer, just gaming. I also need a mouse.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
AZ Greg said:
I know this is a high-end PC/parts recommendation thread for the most part, but I was hoping you guys could help me out in finding a solid laptop for ~$500

Just about any modern laptop for that price should run GGPO and 720p vids just fine, but you could always ask the guys in the gaming laptop thread about which model will give you the most for your price range:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386622

B-Dex

evanft said:
I'm about 2 seconds away from pulling the trigger on this. Anyone want to give me a reason not to?

It's AMD.

:trollface

Edit: On a more serious note, GTX 570 worth it if i'm gaming at 1080p? I was thinking of just getting the 560ti.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
The time has come for me to get a new PC. I am afraid that this thread is too daunting for me to go though so I ask, are there some sites that allows you to put together fictional pcs to see theoretical speed or some other kind of online configurator. I plan on building it but I just need to know what I'm undertaking before I go full bore. Thanks in advance.

MMaRsu

Banned
SneakyStephan said:
facepalm7.jpg

That cpu is fine for games, and it's a 3 core so no bottleneck even in witcher 2.
The only difference with a phenom is the amount of cache.

No, he won't be running 'most games at medium' , that is entirely up to what video card he puts in there.
With a half decent gpu he'll be running everything maxed.

@MMarsu : make sure it has at least a 500 watt psu if you want to put in a decent new midrange GPU.
Is the case included? it doesn't say so, I assume it is? (seriously, check if it doesn't mention it)

If it does I'd say go for it, but yeah 180 is just an ok deal for those parts second hand, depending on the quality of the case.
If it's just some generic case try for a bit less.

Question, I asked him if the parts used for the pc still had a warranty on it and he said yes, I asked this because my mom doesn't want me buying this second hand pc, but rather I'd get a new one instead so it has a warranty on it for sure.

Is it true I can still get a warranty on those parts?

Wallach

Mr Nightman said:
So I am wanting a new keyboard to replace my cheap gigabyte one, and have come to two possible options, just wondering which would be recommended?
First is the Logitech G110
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2424/4019517519_949f7ef084_o.jpg

And second is the Logitech 920-000914
http://www.fatwallet.com/static/attachments/17254_picture3.png

Any help appreciated :)

If you're going to spend that much, I really recommend thinking about spending a little more or waiting for a sale on a mechanical keyboard instead. They will last you a lot longer and feel a lot better to actually use than most rubber dome keyboards.

If you are dead set on either of these two keyboards, I guess I would take the second one. It doesn't have all the stupid extra keys.

squicken

Agent Icebeezy said:
The time has come for me to get a new PC. I am afraid that this thread is too daunting for me to go though so I ask, are there some sites that allows you to put together fictional pcs to see theoretical speed or some other kind of online configurator. I plan on building it but I just need to know what I'm undertaking before I go full bore. Thanks in advance.

http://www.hardware-revolution.com/mainstream-gaming-pc-may-2011/

I like that site for a variety of build plans and pretty easy to understand descriptions.

As far as benchmarking certain builds, I've never seen that. Usually it's only benchmarking of individual components, at the usual test websites.

nilbog21

Banned
rofl wtf it says my windows 7 product key is invalid? i bought the student version when it first came out and it no longer works? --a

CaLe

Mr Nightman said:
So I am wanting a new keyboard to replace my cheap gigabyte one, and have come to two possible options, just wondering which would be recommended?
First is the Logitech G110
4019517519_949f7ef084_o.jpg

And second is the Logitech 920-000914
17254_picture3.png

Any help appreciated :)

I have tried both and I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, the second one. It's the one I currently use.

Typing on it feels great and the keys make absolutely no noise. The lightning is also pretty cool.

As for the first one, I hated it for one particular reason: the inclusion of macro keys was made to the expense of the size of the rest of the keys. I found typing on it really hard because I wasn't used to the small keys and their positioning.

TheExodu5

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
Just fill out the template and we'll help you get the best PC according to your budget and needs.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
squicken said:
http://www.hardware-revolution.com/mainstream-gaming-pc-may-2011/

I like that site for a variety of build plans and pretty easy to understand descriptions.

As far as benchmarking certain builds, I've never seen that. Usually it's only benchmarking of individual components, at the usual test websites.
I'll agree with all the low/mid buys. Can cut a tad more, but pretty good.
I'll get to subbing in the 2100 when MLG and E3 is over.

CaLe said:
I have tried both and I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, the second one. It's the one I currently use.

Typing on it feels great and the keys make absolutely no noise. The lightning is also pretty cool.

As for the first one, I hated it for one particular reason: the inclusion of macro keys was made to the expense of the size of the rest of the keys. I found typing on it really hard because I wasn't used to the small keys and their positioning.

How small we talking? I was looking into the g110.

n0n44m

mr2xxx said:
Was thinking about a water cooling setup. Any recommendations on a bang for your buck setup?
XSPC Rasa kits or the new EK kits I guess .. or are you looking for separate components?

TheExodu5

Banned
mr2xxx said:
Was thinking about a water cooling setup. Any recommendations on a bang for your buck setup?

Water cooling is a lot of work. You need a case that will fit a nice big rad, a pump, a reservoir, CPU + GPU blocks, hoses, fittings, and coolant (or distilled water). You'll also need to study other people's designs and figure out how you want to design it. If this sounds like too much for you, stay away.

Most people that do water cooling do it for fun.

TheExodu5

Banned
n0n44m said:
XSPC Rasa kits or the new EK kits I guess .. or are you looking for separate components?

Just looked at the XSPC Rasa...pretty cool. Hadn't seen any kits before. One thing to note however, is that these kits are meant for CPU only. You'd want at least the dual 120mm rad for a CPU...there isn't that much benefit to going with a single 120mm rad over a good air cooler.

If I was watercooling, I'd probably go for the Corsair 800D. Only problem is that it will only mount a 3x 120mm rad. A lot of people cut out the bottom front of the case to fit another 2x 120mm rad there for GPU cooling.

Are there any other cases that will properly fit two 2x 120mm rads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom