• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poketune

By default there's not a huge difference, but if you're willing to overclock then the i5 6600K will last a year or three longer than the i5 6500 before it becomes inadequate. Eurogamer has a review of the i5 6500 and they compare it to the i5 6600K. However please ignore the part about overclocking the i5 6500, Intel has mostly put a stop to that because they only want the pricier K model processors to be overclockable.

Anyway, for $500 or less, this should do very well for you:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($122.67 @ Amazon)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($58.99 @ Newegg)
Other: CRYORIG H7 ($34.50)
Total: $450.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-27 14:54 EDT-0400

Thank you very much for your help. Very much appreciated.

Momentary

Banned
My first pieces of my new build came in today!!!!

Sleeved Cables from EnSourced. What a fantastic job he did. I couldn't have asked for better work. Everything in the case will be silver/grey/black. I just wanted light blue and orange for contrast.

20160527_160320_zpsoqxpf9xv.jpg

20160527_160340_zps84jsmgke.jpg

OkayRene

Sleeved Cables from EnSourced. What a fantastic job he did. I couldn't have asked for better work. Everything in the case will be silver/grey/black. I just wanted light blue and orange for contrast.

How much did that run you?

jwk94

Quoting for the new thread! Thank you for the help!

Hey GAF! I've never built a PC before and now I need one for work. I was wondering if you guys could help me build one with the case from this thread.. I hope everything i've provided helps. If you need more information, feel free to ask. Thanks! Here's the form from the OP:

Your Current Specs: I don't have a PC right now, but from what I've read, I'll need a quad-core i7 processor, 16 GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA 9xx graphics card (I'll be upgrading to the 10xx later though).

Budget: $700-$1,100 USD

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).

Gaming: 4
Video Editing: 5
Sreaming games in HD: 4
Basic, everyday applications (web browsing, 1080p/4k playback): 5

Monitor Resolution: Initially 1080p with an upgrade to 4K later this summer.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I'll need to run the Adobe Suite, be able to edit 4K footage fluidly, and I'll need 1080/60 performance from most of today's modern games.

Looking to reuse any parts?: I don't have a previous PC...

When will you build?: Looking to start building at the beginning of June

Will you be overclocking?: Probably not

970 is still decent and you should be able to find a good used one as people upgrade to 1070/1080.

You should also be able to overclock the 2500k which will help a lot - might need a new cooler for that but they aren't expensive.

I'm still using the stock cooler. Not a problem since I barely play, but the original plan was to buy one of those all in one corsair water coolers.

Corsair-Intros-the-Hydro-Series-H100-and-H80-CPU-Water-Coolers-3.jpg

Looks like I will have to add a new case to the package while taking the cooler into account. I wonder if Zalman still does models as cool as before.

I just scooped up a 2nd 240gb cheapo ssd, I have plenty of sata cables, but I do not have the power cable I think?

I have the one that says sata, but the smaller pin one that supplies power I am fresh out of, is there a way to use it as a slave drive with an alt power source or am I boned until I buy one?

LilJoka

I just scooped up a 2nd 240gb cheapo ssd, I have plenty of sata cables, but I do not have the power cable I think?

I have the one that says sata, but the smaller pin one that supplies power I am fresh out of, is there a way to use it as a slave drive with an alt power source or am I boned until I buy one?

Get a molex to sata adapter.

Get a molex to sata adapter.

You are giving me too much credit for even being able to comprehend that statement.

What I really mean is I truly am ignorant on how this adapter would be implemented to help me, flying blind here in this regard to the wiring and I am not really confident I know how to search to make your response useful.

OrYJRy1

0NzOZBl
JD7b5Rs
klkunQv

This is where I am working

Justinh

Anyone here use the Logitech G700s? Thinking about getting one.

I used it as my main mouse very briefly. I'd say there are better options out there if you're willing to use wired. For wireless, the G900 is way better too IMO, but it's probably twice the price. There might be another decent wireless option too, but it's escaping me right now.

It's a decent mouse, but you have to recharge it seemingly every other day.

Yeah, I had to switch eneloops in it very often from what I remember.

I got the G900, bit I think it's too big for me, struggling to grasp it comfortably and I always get a sensation that I haven't gripped it well enough giving me strain on my pinky finger. The material is quite slippy a matte finish. I use a fingertip grip.

Yeah, I mainly use a G303 when I play a game probably because I'm a fingertip gripper when gaming too, but when I'm just farting around in windows palming is fine for me and the G900 works for me there. I think the biggest issue I have with it is that I don't like the middle click very much. It's too hard to get a click off.

LilJoka

I got the G900, bit I think it's too big for me, struggling to grasp it comfortably and I always get a sensation that I haven't gripped it well enough giving me strain on my pinky finger. The material is quite slippy a matte finish. I use a fingertip grip.

It's awesome though in terms of tracking etc.

My hand is 175mm length and 75mm width.

The mouse I find most comfortable is the Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse, which I have a few of but I need a wireless mouse for my lounge PC.

gamma

You are giving me too much credit for even being able to comprehend that statement.

What I really mean is I truly am ignorant on how this adapter would be implemented to help me, flying blind here in this regard to the wiring and I am not really confident I know how to search to make your response useful.

OrYJRy1

If I interpret your pictures correctly you have the SATA power cable and are missing the data one. The one you were holding and that says SATA on it is power.

If I interpret your pictures correctly you have the SATA power cable and are missing the data one. The one you were holding and that says SATA on it is power.

See why I need y'all, sorry learning a by and misinterpreted which was which, so the smaller ones connecting to the mobo are the data carriers and the larger sata labeled cords are the power?

LostDonkey

Custom 1080's have hit scan.

£640.

I thought they were supposed to be cheaper than the founders cards?

Guess I'm not getting my usual 80FTW this time.

paskowitz

Mets fan? I'm going with Mets fan...

FFMafia

Is there a reason NOT to go with the gigabyte ga-z170x UD5 motherboard? That's what I've looked up and hasn't turned me off like others like gaming 5 or ud5 th, or did I miss a few (or a lot) of things?

Edit: can this support an SSD AND TWO HDDS thru sata?

RedRum

Banned
Hey guys. It's time for me to invest in a new PC. I'm not looking to build it myself. I'd at least like it to be VR capable. My price range us up to $1500 dollars. I've been searching myself, but there are just so many options out there. Would like to hear from some experts on what rigs would be the best for that price please.

paskowitz

Hey guys. It's time for me to invest in a new PC. I'm not looking to build it myself. I'd at least like it to be VR capable. My price range us up to $1500 dollars. I've been searching myself, but there are just so many options out there. Would like to hear from some experts on what rigs would be the best for that price please.

Maybe you have, but I would advise reading/watching up on what is required to build your own PC. I literally knew NOTHING, I mean nothing. I watched a guide on YouTube and the whole process took 2 hours of my time (saved me hundreds of dollars). It is just big boy Legos. Maybe you don't like Legos and that is fine.

iBuyPowerPC is a decent site that does customizeable prebuilt units. Much better value vs Alienware (obviously not as good as DIY). Otherwise your best bet is to watch for any sales on prebuilt/preconfigured units like the HP deal that pops up every now and again. $1,500 with a monitor/keyboard/mouse/OS is going to put a pretty heavy strain on what your can get for a VR capable build. Honestly, I would wait until the GTX 1070 starts appearing in prebuilt units. It will offer much better VR performance/$ vs current cards.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Should I go for Plextor M6 Pro 512GB instead of Samsung 850 EVO 500GB? I can buy the first one like 50% off right now and it's brand new.

MazeHaze

Banned
Hey dudes, I'm pretty new to PC gaming and I've been learning as I go. I think my PC is pretty great, but these new cards coming out and stuff, I'm curious how future proofed my PC is. Is there anything about this that needs to be upgraded anytime soon?

mobo: msi z97 pcmate
cpu: i5 4690k ocd to 4.3
gpu: evga gtx 980 sc edition with 4gb
psu: 750 w
ram: 8gb
1 tb hdd

I think the ram I could maybe add more and obviously upgrade to a sdd at some point, how much of a difference would these things make? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Also I have a giant corsair super tower. It's HUGE. I don't mind the size, but it seems like I could add about 50 hard drives to this thing and be fine. What's the best cost benefit for storage space? Small SSD for the OS and some select games with a bunch of HDDs, or should I splurge for 1 or two big SSDs?

RedRum

Banned
Maybe you have, but I would advise reading/watching up on what is required to build your own PC. I literally knew NOTHING, I mean nothing. I watched a guide on YouTube and the whole process took 2 hours of my time (saved me hundreds of dollars). It is just big boy Legos. Maybe you don't like Legos and that is fine.

iBuyPowerPC is a decent site that does customizeable prebuilt units. Much better value vs Alienware (obviously not as good as DIY). Otherwise your best bet is to watch for any sales on prebuilt/preconfigured units like the HP deal that pops up every now and again. $1,500 with a monitor/keyboard/mouse/OS is going to put a pretty heavy strain on what your can get for a VR capable build. Honestly, I would wait until the GTX 1070 starts appearing in prebuilt units. It will offer much better VR performance/$ vs current cards.

Thanks! I think you're right about the new GPUs. I'll take that very much into consideration.

MazeHaze

Banned

If you don't want to build, I'd recommend checking out craigslist as long as you know what you're looking for and don't mind price checking parts. I paid 1000 for the build mentioned a couple posts ago, which I priced out to about 1500 bucks. YMMV but it could be quick and easy for ya, and you'd be helping somebody else out. In my case the kid I bought the rig from had his car break down and desperately needed to get rid of his PC to finance a new car. He seemed sad to let it go, but also very stoked that his rig sold in less than a day.

Going all in on 4K. I know it's too early... and I don't care. Secured a 1080 FTW, looking for 4K monitor recommendations. Anyone? Haven't had much luck asking in the past or in other threads.

Would a dedicated soundcard reduce the noise I'm currently getting when pushing my PC audio through a mixer? It's well and possible it's the mixer itself or the cable I'm using but if this is a well known issue with onboard sound when using relatively high quality headphones and the like, I'll look in to it.

Currently using an Asrock Z77 mobo.

KingBroly

Banned
Never really understood why my MSI Command Center doesn't have any reading for my System Fan. Do I not have one or does the one in the back not have speed settings?

yamo

So I have finally ordered the components for my budget computer build.
For graphics I will use an old Geforce GTX 750 for now.

4sRb.png

What cables would I need to buy when ordering a computer in parts like this? Will there be cables for the SSD, HDD, DVD-player etc. included? If not what type should I buy?

linkent

Anyone here use the Logitech G700s? Thinking about getting one.
I have been using that for a while.
Loving it.
Didnt find any input lag when playing it on wireless.

Looking for a 27" monitor.
Any suggestion?
Couldnt afford to buy a GSync one right now.
Will be buying gtx1080.

HooYaH

So I have finally ordered the components for my budget computer build.
For graphics I will use an old Geforce GTX 750 for now.

4sRb.png

What cables would I need to buy when ordering a computer in parts like this? Will there be cables for the SSD, HDD, DVD-player etc. included? If not what type should I buy?

Cables come with Motherboard and Power Supply.

RGM79

Thanks! I think you're right about the new GPUs. I'll take that very much into consideration.

Alternatively you can order the parts you want from NCIXUS and add on their $50 assembly fee. It's not a bad price considering that they will put it together, make sure it boots up, and even install Windows for you if you also order a copy of Windows from them. They also ship the individual parts packaging to you in case something fails so you can deal with the manufacturer's warranty, and NCIXUS gives you a separate one year warranty on the assembled PC itself.

Also NCIXUS does pricematching [1][2], so it's not like you're locked into their prices which can on occasion be high or low.

Is there a reason NOT to go with the gigabyte ga-z170x UD5 motherboard? That's what I've looked up and hasn't turned me off like others like gaming 5 or ud5 th, or did I miss a few (or a lot) of things?

Edit: can this support an SSD AND TWO HDDS thru sata?

The reviews for that motherboard look fine. What turned you off about the Gaming 5 and UD5-TH? It has 8 SATA ports, no reason why it can't handle 3 SATA drives.

Should I go for Plextor M6 Pro 512GB instead of Samsung 850 EVO 500GB? I can buy the first one like 50% off right now and it's brand new.

How much is it? According to Tweaktown's review of the Plextor M6 Pro, it's not bad but doesn't quite catch up to the 850 Evo in performance. It also really doesn't like unexpected power loss.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you mean for a video card that takes up three backplate spaces? Because all itx boards only have one pcie slot.

There are a couple. You'll have to look around. I know the CaseLabs S3 has three spaces. And I'm sure some silver stones do too.

There is literally one option for X99 in itx. The asrock X99E-ITX. Kinda expensive and hard to find. But it does include a heat sink and fan.

Kind of. I'd be using a mini PCIe adapter for a soundcard plus a GPU. I was thinking about going ITX next time around before I got the soundcard, but it just doesn't seem like a good option anymore.

I'll probably just keep my current case (which is fine other than being "big") or go with an mATX build if I do decide to buy a new case. Either would be easier and cheaper than trying to pointlessly work around the limitations of ITX.

VoxPop

My PWR BTN cable thingie in my Node 304 is officially dead =T

Trying to think of some new mini-ITX cases to move my build into. Anything nice out there?

RGM79

Will be ordering the i5 6600k within a couple weeks. Whats the best motherboard for ~$100? best ram?

You'll want a Z170 motherboard to be able to overclock the i5 6600K. My usual recommendation is the Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI, it's a bit more at $123 but it includes support for USB 3.1 and USB type C. If you want something a bit cheaper, the cheapest Z170 motherboard that has favorable reviews seems to be the Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P for roughly $100.

Best RAM? Depends on how much you want (8GB? 16GB?). Right now there's a decent deal for 16GB of 3000MHz RAM.

Keep in mind that the i5 6600K doesn't come with a CPU cooler. That's another.. $30 or so for a decent cooler that can handle overclocking.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Recommend me a mini ITX motherboard to go with a 6700k. Ideally one of the top 5 in this list (number 6 is realistically out of my budget). Will be overclocking with probably a H60 or hyper 212 in a bitfenix prodigy (so no massive coolers). If recommending something more expensive than eg the basic gigabyte one, it'd be good to know why it's worth the extra. RGM79 pointed out the gigabyte gaming 5 has USB 3.1 but I don't know how useful that might be in the future, and the basic gigabyte wifi board still has a usb C socket.

Also what is the sweet spot for ram - I'd like to go for decently fast ram but not pay a ton extra for only small benefit. I assume I'd need low profile too, to avoid any issues with coolers on a small motherboard. Looking at 16GB (2x 8Gh sticks)

LilJoka

Yeah, I mainly use a G303 when I play a game probably because I'm a fingertip gripper when gaming too, but when I'm just farting around in windows palming is fine for me and the G900 works for me there. I think the biggest issue I have with it is that I don't like the middle click very much. It's too hard to get a click off.

Yeah i find the middle click too hard and the scroll wheel also too rigid.
If the scroll wheel was lime my microsoft optical mouse there wouldnt even be a need for that button that removes the clickyness of the wheel.

Recommend me a mini ITX motherboard to go with a 6700k. Ideally one of the top 5 in this list (number 6 is realistically out of my budget). Will be overclocking with probably a H60 or hyper 212 in a bitfenix prodigy (so no massive coolers). If recommending something more expensive than eg the basic gigabyte one, it'd be good to know why it's worth the extra. RGM79 pointed out the gigabyte gaming 5 has USB 3.1 but I don't know how useful that might be in the future, and the basic gigabyte wifi board still has a usb C socket.

Also what is the sweet spot for ram - I'd like to go for decently fast ram but not pay a ton extra for only small benefit. I assume I'd need low profile too, to avoid any issues with coolers on a small motherboard. Looking at 16GB (2x 8Gh sticks)

I have the Asus Z170I Pro and its awesome. From the reviews at bit tech it overclocks the best too.
Go for 2x8GB, i fit the G.Skill Trident Z DIMMS in my build with a Venomous X cpu cooler, so low profile is nice but not absolutely required. 3000Mhz CL14 is a good spot.

I dont know if the Gigabyte boards have Adaptive Vcore like the Asus boards, whereby all stock multiplier retain their original VIDs, and only the overclocked multipliers use a look up table Vcore up till the max Vcore you have set for your OC multi. Amazing feature which will prevent any idle BSODs from overclocks that are a pain to track down.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah i find the middle click too hard and the scroll wheel also too rigid.
If the scroll wheel was lime my microsoft optical mouse there wouldnt even be a need for that button that removes the clickyness of the wheel.

I have the Asus Z170I Pro and its awesome. From the reviews at bit tech it overclocks the best too.
Go for 2x8GB, i fit the G.Skill Trident Z DIMMS in my build with a Venomous X cpu cooler, so low profile is nice but not absolutely required. 3000Mhz CL14 is a good spot.

I dont know if the Gigabyte boards have Adaptive Vcore like the Asus boards, whereby all stock multiplier retain their original VIDs, and only the overclocked multipliers use a look up table Vcore up till the max Vcore you have set for your OC multi. Amazing feature which will prevent any idle BSODs from overclocks that are a pain to track down.

Nice thanks. Can't go wrong if I copy a thread veteran :)

Need to check out if that cooler will fit in a prodigy with the optical drive in place (so many sites just rip out that cage so it is difficult to find out). Very wary with mini ITX about big coolers clearing ram, CPU position blocking GPUs with side coolers etc, so having someone with an actual build is really helpful

LilJoka

Nice thanks. Can't go wrong if I copy a thread veteran :)

Need to check out if that cooler will fit in a prodigy with the optical drive in place (so many sites just rip out that cage so it is difficult to find out). Very wary with mini ITX about big coolers clearing ram, CPU position blocking GPUs with side coolers etc, so having someone with an actual build is really helpful

Hyper 212 should fit in the prodigy, dont look for my cooler as its an ancient one that i bought with my 1st gen core PC, but its larger than the Hyper 212.

Ive seen people fit a noctua D14 in a Bitfenix prodigy, so pick any cooler you like, cant be more massive than the D14.

CPU socket positioning on the Asus will mean there shouldnt be any cooler that fouls the GPU atleast. Hyper 212 definately not.

And for RAM just go for the the corsair LPX.

hohoXD123

If I will be using a monitor a lot for things like playing on my WiiU or PS4 and watching YouTube videos, is it a bad idea to get an ultra wide like the X34?

Vuze

If I will be using a monitor a lot for things like playing on my WiiU or PS4 and watching YouTube videos, is it a bad idea to get an ultra wide like the X34?
You will have black bars on the right and left for WiiU/PS4 and fullscreen YT (or any 16:9 content for that matter). If you don't plan to use it mainly for high end 21:9 PC gaming and movies, I'd rather go with a 16:9.
Oh yeah, console stuff will be upscaled from 720p/900p/1080p to 1440p as well, so keep that in mind. Doesn't look too fancy from my own experience, especially games with horrible aliasing look like shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom