• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty8787

Reckon my i5 2500k @ 4.6 will still go well with a 1080?

Don't really wanna upgrade my CPU until next year if I can hold on..

LilJoka

Reckon my i5 2500k @ 4.6 will still go well with a 1080?

Don't really wanna upgrade my CPU until next year if I can hold on..

Worst case scenario youll be slightly bottlenecked depending on the game, but you can always throw in a 3770K later on. Youll still get a big improvement in fps.

Hi all!

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this as googling isn't doing it. :p

At the moment I have a receiver which does 5.1 Dolby/DTS but only accepts Optical in. This is fine for my PS4, as that can output DTS over Optical. However, on my PC, I don't have a sound card - but I am looking for one that will allow me to get 5.1 Dolby/DTS over Optical.

Apparently this means the sound card has to be capable of encoding DTS/Dolby, but I can't find any concrete models that can or cannot do this.

I would appreciate any help with this, thanks!

LilJoka

Hi all!

At the moment I have a receiver which does 5.1 Dolby/DTS but only accepts Optical in. This is fine for my PS4, as that can output DTS over Optical. However, on my PC, I don't have a sound card - but I am looking for one that will allow me to get 5.1 Dolby/DTS over Optical.

Apparently this means the sound card has to be capable of encoding DTS/Dolby, but I can't find any concrete models that can or cannot do this.

What model is your AV receiver? What is your motherboard?

The feature you are looking for is called:
Dolby Digital Live:
Real-time 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound encoders

As seen for the Asus Xonar DX. Look for that feature what ever sound card you pick.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Hi all!

If you connect your PC to your receiver through HDMI, you have both video AND multi channel digital sound. No need for a separate audio card.

I've got an Nvidia graphics card. When I turn on my TV/receiver, the graphics card driver detects this and I automatically get this:

c02028469.gif

Nictel

Hi all!

https://www.asus.com/Sound-Cards/Essence_STX_II/

It ain't cheap though

Matty8787

Worst case scenario youll be slightly bottlenecked depending on the game, but you can always throw in a 3770K later on. Youll still get a big improvement in fps.

Sweet, thanks!

I am currently looking at going the i7 6700k route but if the 2500k holds up still then I am good.

Cheers.

LilJoka

Sweet, thanks!

I am currently looking at going the i7 6700k route but if the 2500k holds up still then I am good.

Cheers.

I just went from a 3770 @ 4.2Ghz (2x8GB 2200Mhz CL11) to 6700k @ 4.5Ghz (2x8GB 3000Mhz CL14), noticed nothing. GTX 970 1550/3900Mhz.

3770k is a solid choice still imo.

What model is your AV receiver? What is your motherboard?

The feature you are looking for is called:
Dolby Digital Live:
Real-time 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound encoders

As seen for the Asus Xonar DX. Look for that feature what ever sound card you pick.
Alright, thank you :)
If you connect your PC to your receiver through HDMI, you have both video AND multi channel digital sound. No need for a separate audio card.

I've got an Nvidia graphics card. When I turn on my TV/receiver, the graphics card driver detects this and I automatically get this:

c02028469.gif
Unfortunately my receiver does not have an HDMI in :/ thanks though!
l o l

Thanks though :)

I picked up the Asus Xonar DX, thank you guys!

edit: lol I probably should've mentioned my receiver uses TOSLINK... but the DX comes with an adaptor anyway. :D

kipsta

Just went from a 3770k to a 6700k, I know it's not really worth it but I just had that upgrade itch. Funny thing happened though, my Corsair AX760 which I bought 4 years ago died, thought it would have lasted longer. I ended up going with an EVGA PSU this time.

The 1080 looks sweet but I'm really happy with my 980ti.

FFMafia

The reviews for that motherboard look fine. What turned you off about the Gaming 5 and UD5-TH? It has 8 SATA ports, no reason why it can't handle 3 SATA drives.

Sorry for the late reply. There were bad reviews on the on the others so I had no idea lol. But thank you for the help.

hohoXD123

You will have black bars on the right and left for WiiU/PS4 and fullscreen YT (or any 16:9 content for that matter). If you don't plan to use it mainly for high end 21:9 PC gaming and movies, I'd rather go with a 16:9.
Oh yeah, console stuff will be upscaled from 720p/900p/1080p to 1440p as well, so keep that in mind. Doesn't look too fancy from my own experience, especially games with horrible aliasing look like shit.

Oh right I'll go for the asus pg279q, thanks.

fanboi

Banned
Is the OP up to date so to say regarding the Components for the different builds?

EDIT:

I have this today:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
ASRock Z97-AR
12 GB DDR3

If I buy a 1080 GPU will anything above become a bottleneck then?

Is the OP up to date so to say regarding the Components for the different builds?

EDIT:

I have this today:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
ASRock Z97-AR
12 GB DDR3

If I buy a 1080 GPU will anything above become a bottleneck then?
You'll be fine. Z97+4790 is a great combo.

Zojirushi

Since upgrading PC stuff is all the rage right now I'm just gonna ask this here for people who are already rocking more powerful hardware and high resolutions:

Is 4K(downsampled to 1080p)@30fps worth it (as in worth the perfomance hit of rendering in 4K)?

I'm playing a ton of stuff locked to 30 fps (in 1080p) at the moment and while this allows me to use higher settings and good AA on relatively modest hardware I just can't not notice that 30fps smear whenever anything moves on screen.

Since I probably won't be upgrading to anything that allows 4K@60fps anytime soon but 4K@30fps should be in reach with 1070 level of cards I'm wondering if the added IQ of 4K downsampling is even noticable when everything basically turns into a blurry mess whenever there's any movement going on.

What are your experiences?

pa22word

Started playing around with doing a Broadwell-E build, and here's what I came up with:

Shooting for the 6850k to finish the build. I already have the OS, OD, GPU, and HDDs needed from my current build.

Thoughts, PC gaf?

Wag

I gave my friend an old Q9550 ( @ 3.4GHz) tower I had lying around. It has a GTX 295 in it. I want to put a decent video card in there so she can play some newer games. What should I get without putting too much money into it?

kuYuri

I gave my friend an old Q9550 ( @ 3.4GHz) tower I had lying around. It has a GTX 295 in it. I want to put a decent video card in there so she can play some newer games. What should I get without putting too much money into it?

GTX 750 Ti/GTX 950/GTX 960 can often be had for cheap.

With a quick search, I found a Zotac 2GB 960 for a good price, especially if you're a new Jet customer, you can use a 15% off coupon to make it even cheaper.

https://jet.com/product/GTX-960-AMP...DCP-THREE-DP/fa14b217f2ea45e0b1b032a8471984a5

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's a good thermal paste?

Also I'm hoping to reuse my h60 cooler which was on a 3570k but will be used on a 6700k.
1) will that be enough to keep it cool even overclocked
2) it was supplied prebuilt so might I have a problem with the different motherboard if I don't have all the fittings?

NOKYARD

Would a dedicated soundcard reduce the noise I'm currently getting when pushing my PC audio through a mixer? It's well and possible it's the mixer itself or the cable I'm using but if this is a well known issue with onboard sound when using relatively high quality headphones and the like, I'll look in to it.

Currently using an Asrock Z77 mobo.

It could be ground loop hum.

I found an alternate solution for my hum issues, but heard that plugging your mixer into this unit will sort it out.

Jaagen

So, I have a FX-4100 and a 7850, and I'm planning to do a mild upgrade(new CPU and GPU) once polaris is out, and I was wondering which CPU you would recommend replacing my FX-4100 with.

It has to be AM3+ compatible, as I am not doing a major upgrade this time around(student, limited funds etc.) Is it wise to go for the FX-6300 series, or should I just go all the way for a FX-9300 class CPU?

kennah

Kind of. I'd be using a mini PCIe adapter for a soundcard plus a GPU. I was thinking about going ITX next time around before I got the soundcard, but it just doesn't seem like a good option anymore.

I'll probably just keep my current case (which is fine other than being "big") or go with an mATX build if I do decide to buy a new case. Either would be easier and cheaper than trying to pointlessly work around the limitations of ITX.
Yeah I don't think itx will make you happy. I've been considering moving to mATX from itx myself. Now that mATX cases exist that are only one inch bigger than my itx cases.

DBT85

My first pieces of my new build came in today!!!!

Sleeved Cables from EnSourced. What a fantastic job he did. I couldn't have asked for better work. Everything in the case will be silver/grey/black. I just wanted light blue and orange for contrast.

20160527_160320_zpsoqxpf9xv.jpg

20160527_160340_zps84jsmgke.jpg

Very nice!

Ordered some Bitfenix cables to just make up some extensions myself. No need for me to have them coloured all the way back to the PSU.

OkayRene

I don't know if this is the right thread, but does running a Hackintosh dual-boot compromise your Windows instance? I started reading through Hackintosh setup guides and it requires turning off a few features in the UEFI/BIOS, and I'm wondering if you nerf your Windows gaming when you do so.

I built my PC but I'm having a ton of trouble using Mac 9-5, and Windows at night and keeping all the keyboard shortcut differences in my head. So ideally I can dual-boot, Hackintosh for leisure, and Windows 10 when I wanna play games. But now I'm concerned about turning off all those features.

kennah

I don't know if this is the right thread, but does running a Hackintosh dual-boot compromise your Windows instance? I started reading through Hackintosh setup guides and it requires turning off a few features in the UEFI/BIOS, and I'm wondering if you nerf your Windows gaming when you do so.

I built my PC but I'm having a ton of trouble using Mac 9-5, and Windows at night and keeping all the keyboard shortcut differences in my head. So ideally I can dual-boot, Hackintosh for leisure, and Windows 10 when I wanna play games. But now I'm concerned about turning off all those features.

It won't hurt anything.

I asked this in the other 1080 threads but maybe I should have posted this here.

If you have 3 options: Buy a new gtx 1080 at 910$CAD+ tax, buy a used (not more than 2 days's worth) asus strix 980ti OC edition for 600$CAD no tax or wait to see what the 1070 will have to offer.

If your goal was to play at 1440p ultra/very high settings aiming for 60fps for a couple of years....what would you do?

Jamaro85

The 1070 is making this an exciting time to get back into building a machine. Should be really easy to put something together with the recommended builds in the OP. Can't wait!

kennah

I asked this in the other 1080 threads but maybe I should have posted this here.

If you have 3 options: Buy a new gtx 1080 at 910$CAD+ tax, buy a used (not more than 2 days's worth) asus strix 980ti OC edition for 600$CAD no tax or wait to see what the 1070 will have to offer.

If your goal was to play at 1440p ultra/very high settings aiming for 60fps for a couple of years....what would you do?

980 Tis have been going for like $450 used. Don't spend $600. If your'e going to spend that much, wait for the 1070.

What do you have for a card right now?

e90Mark

What's a good thermal paste?

Also I'm hoping to reuse my h60 cooler which was on a 3570k but will be used on a 6700k.
1) will that be enough to keep it cool even overclocked
2) it was supplied prebuilt so might I have a problem with the different motherboard if I don't have all the fittings?
I'm still a fan of Arctic Silver 5.

Shouldn't need any new hardware and just use all the hardware that was on the 3570k setup to mount it on the new stuff.
So when do 1080s drop? Just sold my 980Ti for £430 and have it burning a hole in my pocket!
FE's have already dropped. Custom cards are said to be around mid June.

DBT85

So when do 1080s drop? Just sold my 980Ti for £430 and have it burning a hole in my pocket!

They are in peoples hands right now. OCUK have had orders delivered to people this morning.

The non FE ones are on their way over the next few months as fast as people can make them.

You did well to get £430 from someone for a 980ti.

Matty8787

They are in peoples hands right now. OCUK have had orders delivered to people this morning.

The non FE ones are on their way over the next few months as fast as people can make them.

You did well to get £430 from someone for a 980ti.

Yeah decent price eh?

I don't want an FE version so hoping the others are about by next month... I am currently without so gunna have to lower myself to console gaming hah.

kennah

That was a good find, I have only seen them going for 750$+ in Montreal area

Yeah, I just did a search for you. Prices are way high there. Definitely, definitely wait, but at least you're in a good place to sell your 780. They're barely getting $150 here.

Yeah, I just did a search for you. Prices are way high there. Definitely, definitely wait, but at least you're in a good place to sell your 780. They're barely getting $150 here.

The reason why I was contemplating this, is because 600$ no tax vs 910-920$ plus taxes is a huge price difference. I'm just trying to find the best value.

FireRises

switched my mini-itx system to a new case, Fractal Design Nano S. I love this case, it's ultra quiet yet still has room for an insane amount of air cooling.

Also, tfw your heatsink is the size of your motherboard B)

screenshot2016-05-28amaxv3.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom