• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamaro85

I'm getting anywhere between 60-110fps on High in Battlefield 1 with a GTX 1080.

Somethings gotta be going wrong right?

t7ploRb.png

Have you checked the core clock of your GPU while running the game to make sure its running at the expected speed?

Edit: Whoops beaten.

DjRalford

This was while running BF1 at ultra settings for awhile.

I thought 1080's were clocked at 1733mhz with boost, then 10,000mhz memory? EDIT - or is the memory speed suppose to be doubled to give effective speed?

Also is your CPU really hitting 91c on one of its cores? in a game?

Oh yeah, stupid question, but I have two power headers on my new MSI Z270 mainboard:
the usual ATX_PWR1 and CPU_PWR1, the latter being new to me coming from a i5 750.
My initial thought was that the CPU power one was optional, maybe for OC, but my computer didn't boot without it, so am I right that both, ATX_PWR and CPU_PWR need to be connected to the PSU? Just to make sure that this wasn't the reason for my HDD deaths.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Oh yeah, stupid question, but I have two power headers on my new MSI Z270 mainboard:
the usual ATX_PWR1 and CPU_PWR1, the latter being new to me coming from a i5 750.
My initial thought was that the CPU power one was optional, maybe for OC, but my computer didn't boot without it, so am I right that both, ATX_PWR and CPU_PWR need to be connected to the PSU? Just to make sure that this wasn't the reason for my HDD deaths.

What's the exact model that you have?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just had a look at the manual for your motherboard and both ATX_PWR1 (the 24 pin connector socket) and CPU_PWR1 (the 8 pin connector socket) need to be connected to the power supply.

Gandie

Looks great! Quick question: which cooler are you using? I'm hoping to put together a new black / white build, and that CPU cooler looks perfect. Thanks!

It's a Alpenföhn Matterhorn White Edition.

https://www.alpenfoehn.de/en/cpu-cooler/matterhorn-white-edition

Be careful: They don't sell the fan seperately, only the black version. I'm thinking about painting one to match the first.

Damn it, I want combs for my sleeved cables :(

So worth it. Although I regret not going for stealth combs.

This was while running BF1 at ultra settings for awhile.

91 degrees on the CPU is not normal in a game. What's your cooling setup?

BraXzy

Also is your CPU really hitting 91c on one of its cores? in a game?

Dude what's your cooling like? My temps don't go above 70 in BF1

91 degrees on the CPU is not normal in a game. What's your cooling setup?

Yeah I didn't think that was normal... It's a Dell XPS 8910 in a standard case, I haven't changed anything in it from stock. Planning on grabbing a bigger case with better cooling, at those temps I think I'll do so sooner than planned.

But there doesn't look to be any reason on the clock speeds why BF1 would be running so badly?

Gandie

Yeah I didn't think that was normal... It's a Dell XPS 8910 in a standard case, I haven't changed anything in it from stock. Planning on grabbing a bigger case with better cooling, at those temps I think I'll do so sooner than planned.

But there doesn't look to be any reason on the clock speeds why BF1 would be running so badly?

Check if all the fans are running, if there's any dust build up and if the CPU cooler is properly seated.

Even on a stock cooler, 91 degrees seem insane.

BraXzy

Check if all the fans are running, if there's any dust build up and if the CPU cooler is properly seated.

Even on a stock cooler, 91 degrees seem insane.

I'll check if everything's functioning when I get home.

But honestly I kinda want to grab fresh components and do a nice rebuild keeping my GPU / CPU / Ram etc. The 8910 case is crazy cramped and small so the temps don't surprise me all that much. Plus I want to be able to overclock which I can't really do with the stock 460W psu Dell include.

I threw this build together this morning: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jLzZjc

hoserx

It's been so long since I shopped for PC parts, is a Blu ray/dvd drive recommend or needed ?

I rarely use my optical drive at this point. Maybe get an external USB dvd drive or something that you can use when you need one? Or if space isn't an issue, sure, throw a dvd drive in there for $20ish. I wouldn't waste any cash on a blu-ray drive for your pc as you'll need to buy software to watch the movies in addition, and at that point you should just buy a standalone blu-ray player.

rrs

Is there any reasons why this particular EVO wouldn't work for a desktop? The laptop marker is the one aspect making me hesitating buying this part right now, as this would be part of my PC build.
it's fine, I've even had a 2.5" SSD unmounted and lying around in my old case. Just don't get an m.2 version unless your motherboard supports it

Futaba

Hmm, I'm in the market for a 4K monitor, preferably 100hz or higher, between 26" and 34", what are my options currently?, Haven't looked at product lineups for years.

Vinter

Finally got around to ordering my new pc. Had to order a 960 evo from Germany, because they are sold out everywhere in Norway. Seems to be high demand for those Samsung disks.

0racle

HOLY SHIT !

OK I stumbled on something amazing on my local classifieds. its used, but most boxes are included as well as printed receipts. NO GPU included

1 x i7 6700K Skylake processer 4.0ghz (Can be OC much further)

1 x GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming GT (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 x SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

1 x 250g SSD on top of that one.

1 x Windows 10 Home - Full Version (32 & 64-bit) / USB Flash Drive

3 x Corsair Air Series AF140 140mm Red LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan

1 x Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, 280mm

1 x EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 120-G2-1000-XR 80+ GOLD 1000W Fully Modular

1 x G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200

1 x CASE ROSEWILL NIGHTHAWK 117 ATX Full Tower Gaming Computer Case, Supports up to 420mm Long VGA Card.

1 x LG 34UM67-P 34" Class 21:9 UltraWide IPS FreeSync Gaming Monitor 5ms 2560 x 1080 5ms GTG 60Hz 5,000,000:1 Contrast

for about 840 USD

quick replies appreciated as I'm about to head out to grab it.

HOLY SHIT !

OK I stumbled on something amazing on my local classifieds. its used, but most boxes are included as well as printed receipts. NO GPU included

1 x i7 6700K Skylake processer 4.0ghz (Can be OC much further)

1 x GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming GT (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 x SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

1 x 250g SSD on top of that one.

1 x Windows 10 Home - Full Version (32 & 64-bit) / USB Flash Drive

3 x Corsair Air Series AF140 140mm Red LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan

1 x Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, 280mm

1 x EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 120-G2-1000-XR 80+ GOLD 1000W Fully Modular

1 x G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200

1 x CASE ROSEWILL NIGHTHAWK 117 ATX Full Tower Gaming Computer Case, Supports up to 420mm Long VGA Card.

1 x LG 34UM67-P 34" Class 21:9 UltraWide IPS FreeSync Gaming Monitor 5ms 2560 x 1080 5ms GTG 60Hz 5,000,000:1 Contrast

for about 840 USD

quick replies appreciated as I'm about to head out to grab it.

That seems too good to be true, but would be amazing if you could get it.

I have that monitor, paid $350 not too long ago. Maybe not the best gaming monitor, but I love it.

0racle

well I'm going to get in in a hour or so

I have never purchased a used PC. What should I do to ensure everything is ok and in working shape?

well I'm going to get in in a hour or so

I have never purchased a used PC. What should I do to ensure everything is ok and in working shape?

Ask if they can boot it up and show it off before you pay for it? Launch a program or two.

Edit: Assuming it hasn't been disassembled.

0racle

yeah, I'm going to his house to see it.

I figured powering on is obviously the first step, but is that enough to reveal all bugs?

yeah, I'm going to his house to see it.

I figured powering on is obviously the first step, but is that enough to reveal all bugs?

Hence 'launch a program or two'. Make it do things that, if the RAM wasn't properly seated or the CPU pins were messed up, wouldn't work. Ask to see temperatures if they've got software for that installed. Presumably they have an old GPU lying around somewhere, maybe ask if they can put it back in so as to run games for a bit?

In general, have it in usage for a decent amount of time.

LilJoka

Bit of a rig update
Delidded the 7700k with the 3d printed tool, was super sweet no sweat.
Temps dropped about 15-20c, and best of all no random temp spiking opening a browser etc! That was so annoying with SKL and KBL.
Gaming temps dropped from 70-90c (witcher 3 vs forza horizon) to 50-70c.

Was running 4.8Ghz 1.28v, and now running 4.9Ghz 1.312v.

Cooler changed to Noctua NH-U14S and intake and exhaust changed from stock Fractal fans to Noctuas. All running PWM controlled.
Whilst gaming the CPU+Case fans are running 700rpm to 75c.
GTX 970 hitting 60-70c at 1550Mhz core, 3850Mhz memory.

ITX is the way forward ;)

SRG01

Currently thinking of upgrading my two year-old 4790k rig for a Ryzen setup if the leaked benches are solid.

How are DDR4 prices at the moment, since I'll have to price out a new board and ram along with the CPU?

Enlil

Hi guys,

I have the following problem. My pc goes on, it goes into the logon screen, but the mouse and keyboard arent working. Tried different USB ports. I then turn of my pc, using the case switch, then trying to turn it on using the case switch but nothing happens. I have to unplug everything wait 45-60 minutes before I can turn it on again using the case switch.

After it turns on, I have unplugged everything except for my PSU of course. I then put the mouse or keyboard in the USB slots and sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt and I have to turn of the PC using the case switch. again have to wait 45-60 minutes.

I had an old PSU in the house, So I installed it. I wasn't able to connect everything, cause it doesn't have all the pins. I also didn't had display. The PC turned on and I could turn it of and immediately turn it on again, I did this like 5 times. This was not possible with the first PSU.

my question is: Is this an indication that my PSU somehow is faulty? or was the 2nd psu working because not everything was connected and that could mean the problem might lie somewhere else (maybe the ram, motherboard etc)?

I tried clear_CMOS, but no luck.

Before buying anything, I want to hear from you guys.

thank you.

( i7 3rd generation, ddr3 ram 16 gb, corsair H70, gtx 680, PSU Cooler master silent M2 850 WATT, motherboard:Z77MX-D3H, Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD + 1TB HDD)

Hi guys,

I have the following problem. My pc goes on, it goes into the logon screen, but the mouse and keyboard arent working. Tried different USB ports. I then turn of my pc, using the case switch, then trying to turn it on using the case switch but nothing happens. I have to unplug everything wait 45-60 minutes before I can turn it on again using the case switch.

After it turns on, I have unplugged everything except for my PSU of course. I then put the mouse or keyboard in the USB slots and sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt and I have to turn of the PC using the case switch. again have to wait 45-60 minutes.

I had an old PSU in the house, So I installed it. I wasn't able to connect everything, cause it doesn't have all the pins. I also didn't had display. The PC turned on and I could turn it of and immediately turn it on again, I did this like 5 times. This was not possible with the first PSU.

my question is: Is this an indication that my PSU somehow is faulty? or was the 2nd psu working because not everything was connected and that could mean the problem might lie somewhere else (maybe the ram, motherboard etc)?

I tried clear_CMOS, but no luck.

Before buying anything, I want to hear from you guys.

thank you.

( i7 3rd generation, ddr3 ram 16 gb, corsair H70, gtx 680, PSU Cooler master silent M2 850 WATT, motherboard:Z77MX-D3H, Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD + 1TB HDD)
I would guess PSU issue, though it could be your motherboard. When you say you couldn't connect everything with the old PSU you tried, what cables did you plug in? Both ATX cables to the motherboard included?

How come you didn't have a display btw? You should have an integrated GPU on that CPU, so just plug your monitor into the motherboard's hdmi port (or dvi, vga, depending on your board?).

So last May I upgraded my Motherboard, CPU and RAM, went to a i7 6700k. However, I never did a fresh install of windows 10 (It didn't even occur to me) and seemingly I feel like I've been fine this whole time. Should I still do it? I've never had any weird issues or crashes at all since I upgraded. And game performance has been above and beyond my old build, so it doesn't seem like the hardware is being held back either.

Also can i just reinstall windows and keep all my files for this or do you have to delete everything and reinstall?

Bit of a rig update
Temps dropped about 15-20c, and best of all no random temp spiking opening a browser etc! That was so annoying with SKL and KBL.

Cooler changed to Noctua NH-U14S and intake and exhaust changed from stock Fractal fans to Noctuas. All running PWM controlled.

1cCIf51.jpg

Club ITX checking in! This is my first ITX build and I've been really happy with it so far. It's currently in a mid tower but in the next month or so I will be picking up an ITX case.

Asus Z270g
Asus Strix 1070 OC
G.Skill Trident RGB 4000Mhz 16GB
Cryorig H7 CPU cooler

Currently thinking of upgrading my two year-old 4790k rig for a Ryzen setup if the leaked benches are solid.

How are DDR4 prices at the moment, since I'll have to price out a new board and ram along with the CPU?
Bad, and getting worse everyday. This RAM I got for $90 ($100 + 10% off coupon) last month (pretty close to the exact day, actually) has gone up to $107:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bf98TW/gskill-memory-f42666c15d16gvr

You can see the price history chart and it's been steadily getting higher since Christmas/New Year, due to mobile sucking up RAM production. If you want to feel even worse, set the history chart to 180 days and see that it used to be in the $70 range.

Enlil

I would guess PSU issue, though it could be your motherboard. When you say you couldn't connect everything with the old PSU you tried, what cables did you plug in? Both ATX cables to the motherboard included?

I could only connect the power cable and the ATX, but not my GTX 680 for example.

How come you didn't have a display btw? You should have an integrated GPU on that CPU, so just plug your monitor into the motherboard's hdmi port (or dvi, vga, depending on your board?).

I tried that, I used the onboard GPU, but it didnt show anything.

I still have a waaranty for my PSU, I see no other option than to RMA and see what happens. But your next guess is probably the motherboard. how can I know, in case its not the PSU?

LilJoka

Looks great Joka.

Now the obvious question, when are you replacing the 970? :p

I think when the 1170 drops. Right now it's still more than enough. It's because I play on a TV and I sometime can't even tell the difference between medium and ultra.
My tv is 4K so I'm hanging on for something like the 970 is for 1080p60 but for 4k60.

Do you get % readings in HWMonitor?

Haven't checked, I just made my fan curves in Asus Ai suite which gives a fan % and rpm. Upon tuning it gives a table that shows % vs rpm too.

1cCIf51.jpg

Club ITX checking in! This is my first ITX build and I've been really happy with it so far. It's currently in a mid tower but in the next month or so I will be picking up an ITX case.

Asus Z270g
Asus Strix 1070 OC
G.Skill Trident RGB 4000Mhz 16GB
Cryorig H7 CPU cooler

Nice rig, did you get the ram running 4Ghz?

SRG01

Bad, and getting worse everyday. This RAM I got for $90 ($100 + 10% off coupon) last month (pretty close to the exact day, actually) has gone up to $107:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bf98TW/gskill-memory-f42666c15d16gvr

You can see the price history chart and it's been steadily getting higher since Christmas/New Year, due to mobile sucking up RAM production. If you want to feel even worse, set the history chart to 180 days and see that it used to be in the $70 range.

UGH. I remember all the DDR4 sales last year too :(

May be your CPU. Unless I missed where you also posted a screenshot of the CPU clock speed?
Also that benchmark you posted, which CPU (+ clock speed) did it use?

LilJoka

I currently have it at 3866 at 1.3v. Right now it doesn't want to post at 4000 even at 1.4v. Im going to dig into it some more this weekend to see if I can get to 4000.

What's the VCCIO and VCCSA? I would expect you need 1.2-1.3v on each and atleast 1.35v VDIMM. Unless you have a very good 7700k, it'll cripple the CPU OC potential so I would do the CPU OC first then see how far the ram will go.

So far there is no reason for BF1 to run poorly.
What about other games or 3dmark firestrike/timespy bench?
You'll spend £350 and get 0 performance benefit. If you really must change something, get a nice case and CPU cooler.

Do you already have a Z series board?

Bit of a rig update

That's is awesome. Those Redux fans are imo some of the best fans out there. A lot quieter than their newer brown fans imo. They're tried and tested designs modernized with very good PWM implementation that is very quiet and reliable w

Cyanity

Banned
Hey PC-GAF, is this the right place to go if I have a part to sell (core i5 6500, factory sealed)? Or do we have a specific thread for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom