• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey PC-GAF, is this the right place to go if I have a part to sell (core i5 6500, factory sealed)? Or do we have a specific thread for that?

The general BST thread is the primary place: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221967

But people here don't mind occasional posts about computer stuff for sale, so feel free to give a couple details. I think as long as you don't do reposts in this thread (should be in BST) it's no problem.

Mystic654

Second to last order for my new Build. Cable Combs (Pure Carbon Fiber).

gowdzCZ.jpg

Fracas

#fuckonami
Bought a Corsair 350d and the windowed panel has a crack in it and it's missing the screw/mobo standoff kit. w e l p

At least I'm not in a rush to build, so the wait won't kill me

BraXzy

May be your CPU. Unless I missed where you also posted a screenshot of the CPU clock speed?
Also that benchmark you posted, which CPU (+ clock speed) did it use?

I've got an i7 6700K at stock speeds (as far as I'm aware).

So far there is no reason for BF1 to run poorly.
What about other games or 3dmark firestrike/timespy bench?
You'll spend £350 and get 0 performance benefit. If you really must change something, get a nice case and CPU cooler.

Do you already have a Z series board?

You're right of course, I don't need the new mobo really (I don't think). I just hate the look of the Dell one, it's a "Dell Inc. 0WPMFG" can't find much info on it... According to the sales page it's either H170 or Z170.

I grabbed 3DMark from the humble bundle recently hang on I'll do a benchmark. My current plan is new case, cpu cooler and PSU so I can overclock?

LilJoka

You're right of course, I don't need the new mobo really (I don't think). I just hate the look of the Dell one, it's a "Dell Inc. 0WPMFG" can't find much info on it... According to the sales page it's either H170 or Z170.

I grabbed 3DMark from the humble bundle recently hang on I'll do a benchmark. My current plan is new case, cpu cooler and PSU so I can overclock?

If the Dell board is locked down then a board could be on the list.

PSU could be on the list but it's a bit of a preference. A slightly higher wattage PSU could run a little quieter and have modular support for a neater build. But technically a GTX 1070 and 6700k even overclocked should be ok on a 450W PSU. If you have money spare it's a nice thing to buy.

0racle

Take a knife with you.

Hey guys,

Im alive and all is well ! I made out like a fucking bandit !

I honestly feel bad, you know when you score big, like really big to the point you feel your taking advantage of someone? well that was me today. The guy I dealt with was super nice, went to his place, showed me everything, we ran tests, explain things and did a once over for me on the PC. He had the boxes for everything, as well as online receipts.

I do not want to stereotype but he seemed like the typical gamer/pc geek. Somewhat poor hygiene, very messy house with cans of monster all over the place and somewhat awkward. We all know the guy, be in in real life or from high school that makes horrible life choices and common sense/money smarts is just something they are lacking.

I got the following for 1000 CANADIAN, basically 763 USD

1 x i7 6700K Skylake processer 4.0ghz (Can be OC much further)

1 x GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming GT (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 x SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

1 x SAMSUNG 250g SSD on top of that one.

1 x Windows 10 Home - Full Version (32 & 64-bit) / USB Flash Drive

3 x Corsair Air Series AF140 140mm Red LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan

1 x Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, 280mm

1 x EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 120-G2-1000-XR 80+ GOLD 1000W Fully Modular

1 x G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200

1 x CASE ROSEWILL NIGHTHAWK 117 ATX Full Tower Gaming Computer Case, Supports up to 420mm Long VGA Card.

1 x LG 34UM67-P 34" Class 21:9 UltraWide IPS FreeSync Gaming Monitor 5ms 2560 x 1080 5ms GTG 60Hz 5,000,000:1 Contrast

I still cant believe it !

**EDIT

I hope everything is still good and no gremlins rear their ugly head later on after I connect it all up again. But why would he give me his house address, let me in etc if there was something fishy.

Cyanity

Banned
Hey guys,

I honestly feel bad, you know when you score big, like really big to the point you feel your taking advantage of someone? well that was me today. The guy I dealt with was super nice, went to his place, showed me everything, we ran tests, explain things and did a once over for me on the PC. He had the boxes for everything, as well as online receipts.

I do not want to stereotype but he seemed like the typical gamer/pc geek. Somewhat poor hygiene, very messy house with cans of monster all over the place and somewhat awkward. We all know the guy, be in in real life or from high school that makes horrible life choices and common sense/money smarts is just something they are lacking.

1 x GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming GT (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 x SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

1 x CASE ROSEWILL NIGHTHAWK 117 ATX Full Tower Gaming Computer Case, Supports up to 420mm Long VGA Card.

1 x LG 34UM67-P 34" Class 21:9 UltraWide IPS FreeSync Gaming Monitor 5ms 2560 x 1080 5ms GTG 60Hz 5,000,000:1 Contrast

**EDIT

I hope everything is still good and no gremlins rear their ugly head later on after I connect it all up again. But why would he give me his house address, let me in etc if there was something fishy.

Holy hell, you made off like a bandit and a half

BossRush

So I finally got my new computer and it runs incredibly well, but now I have a new problem on my plate.

I can hardly get any internet connection. Our Router is downstairs in a very hard to access location attached to our Modem which is hanging from the ceiling, so I can't easily attach an ethernet cable from the router to my computer.

We have a netgear wifi extender but it hardly works half the time, and when it does I get a terrible connection.

Is there any solution that I can do to fix this problem?

Cyanity

Banned
So I finally got my new computer and it runs incredibly well, but now I have a new problem on my plate.

I can hardly get any internet connection. Our Router is downstairs in a very hard to access location attached to our Modem which is hanging from the ceiling, so I can't easily attach an ethernet cable from the router to my computer.

We have a netgear wifi extender but it hardly works half the time, and when it does I get a terrible connection.

Is there any solution that I can do to fix this problem?

My family had a similar problem, including trying wifi extenders and getting middling performance at best. We contacted Verizon and they gave us this little redundant box and cable splitter so we could have our cable box and wifi extender plugged into the living room wall. I don't know if your ISP has a similar solution, but it might be worth calling them to find out.

edit - the box seems to be a wired extension of our existing internet connection, as it has the same SSID and password. It emits a wireless signal and has ethernet ports in the back.

BraXzy

If the Dell board is locked down then a board could be on the list.

PSU could be on the list but it's a bit of a preference. A slightly higher wattage PSU could run a little quieter and have modular support for a neater build. But technically a GTX 1070 and 6700k even overclocked should be ok on a 450W PSU. If you have money spare it's a nice thing to buy.

Isn't it more efficient too having a surplus?

Here's the 3D Mark benchmark result: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18052769? (temps once again hit 91, gonna have a look inside the case now.)

Looks like the mobo can be removed so I could skip that purchase at least for now?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Aight it's upgrade time. All new parts save for my 1070. Any suggestions?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($338.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Corsair)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.88 @ OutletPC)
Other: GTX 1070 (Purchased)
Other: 16gb DDR4-3000 RAM ($100.00)
Total: $1018.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-17 19:39 EST-0500

I've already bought the case, CPU cooler and SSD. Found decent DDR4-3000 RAM on ebay for around $100 so it's a custom part (though if there's a particular brand or something that's superior, let me know). I guess I'm mostly just looking to see if there are any PSUs, RAM, case fans or mobos that offer better value. I'll prob wait for Ryzen before I buy everything else just in case it's as good as reports suggest.

What's the VCCIO and VCCSA? I would expect you need 1.2-1.3v on each and atleast 1.35v VDIMM. Unless you have a very good 7700k, it'll cripple the CPU OC potential so I would do the CPU OC first then see how far the ram will go.

I've tried just about every combination of VCCIO and VCCSA between 1.2-1.3v in addition to running the ram from 1.3-1.4v. I have also tried to reduce memory timings as well. I'm just about ready to call it good enough at 3866.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.88 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.88 @ OutletPC)

I've already bought the case, CPU cooler and SSD. Found decent DDR4-3000 RAM on ebay for around $100 so it's a custom part (though if there's a particular brand or something that's superior, let me know). I guess I'm mostly just looking to see if there are any PSUs, RAM, case fans or mobos that offer better value. I'll prob wait for Ryzen before I buy everything else just in case it's as good as reports suggest.
I know you already bought the SSD, but anything else you might be able to take advantage of Best Buy's current $25 off anything $100 deal.

SpyGuy239

Hey Guys! Finally going to plop down on a brand new rig this weekend with President's day around the corner and good deals on the i7 7700K. Need some help with choosing a Z270 board however, it's been awhile since my last rodeo (my last and current PC is a i7 860 LGA 1156 from 2009.

I usually go for MSI vs Gigabyte, but am open to other brands like ASUS if there's a good recommendation. I usually pick the middle of the road board trims that have some extra nice features but nothing like the super excessive gaming features that some boards come with. I don't need on board Creative Sound blaster sound or Killer Network ports. Need help because there seem to be 234875239786 models for each Z270 board for each brand and I don't know where to start.

RAM recommendations are welcome as well!

Also should I get an M.2 Drive for the OS? Or just stick with my SSDs?

Thanks a million!

Hey guys,

**EDIT

Damn...

Nice.

Any indication as to why he was selling it? He obviously cared enough to build it with all those specs and he knew the prices since he had the receipts ready.

Just seems strange.

LilJoka

Isn't it more efficient too having a surplus?

Here's the 3D Mark benchmark result: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18052769? (temps once again hit 91, gonna have a look inside the case now.)

Looks like the mobo can be removed so I could skip that purchase at least for now?

PSU is most efficient when run at around 60-80% load, but only marginally usually. In fact a 450W is probably right in that region.

Yeah the mobo isn't required to replace but I doubt it allows overclocking. As long as those screw holes map to the standard ATX form factor then it should be fine.

BraXzy

PSU is most efficient when run at around 60-80% load, but only marginally usually. In fact a 450W is probably right in that region.

Yeah the mobo isn't required to replace but I doubt it allows overclocking. As long as those screw holes map to the standard ATX form factor then it should be fine.

So do we know what is causing the weird poor performance in BF1? How did the benchmark look?

Primus

Still a ton of follow-up work to do, installing programs and whatnot, but my new 7700k rig is now up and functional!

Installed Windows 10 in about 5 minutes, takes longer to get past the mobo BIOS (4-5 seconds) than it does to get to desktop (1-2 seconds), and runs great.

Wanna give a huge shout-out to Noctua here, the NH-U9S was the easiest heatsink/fan install I've ever had the pleasure of doing. Pop a backplate through, put down four spacers, attach two mounting bars, screw them down. Dollop of thermal paste, position the heatsink tower on top of the two mount pegs, screw it down, done. Takes less than a minute. Totally worth the $55 price.

How much would I spend for a decent gaming PC?

Needing specifics here, mainly in terms of what games you want to play at what performance level. Do you want to be on par with consoles? To play major online games like CS:GO and League of Legends? To play The Witcher 3 and 1080p60? To shoot enemies to bits in Doom in 4K?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just an all purpose PC. I mostly want to play fighting games and shooters.

Take a look at the "Great" build in the OP and see how the price compares to what you're looking to spend.
(although its slightly out of date as we now have kaby lake instead of skylake cpus and also z270 motherboards)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Yeah, I'd definitely see what Ryzen can do. If you can get close to 7700K performance and save a few $100 you should consider it,

BossRush

Having another gigantic problem with my computer.

I can't open the AMD Radeon settings to set it as my default graphics card. All I get is a message saying I need to connect the display to the graphics and then extend the display.

Help I don't know what to do

Having another gigantic problem with my computer.

I can't open the AMD Radeon settings to set it as my default graphics card. All I get is a message saying I need to connect the display to the graphics and then extend the display.

Help I don't know what to do

Is your monitor connected to the discrete GPU or integrated GPU?

kogasu

Heyy PC GAF! I've never posted in any of the PC threads but I have used the OP to help build myself an ok PC so a bit of a belated thaaank you and <333 for that! I'm really not so knowledgeable hehe.

Sooo I also have a dumb question for you guys. I just bought a graphics card which requires an 8 pin PCIe power cord connected to it, however, my PSU seems to only have a 6 pin. I had no idea because I am dumb and thought I remembered my PSU had an 8 pin.... Guess not... I've seen a few adapters on Amazon, 6 pin to 8 pin and also LP4 to 8 pin, so I was wondering if those are even reliable. Particularly the LP4 to 8 pin since it seems like the 6 pin to 8 pin shouldn't really even work but really I have no idea about that or even if I can trust the Amazon reviews... Otherwise, I guess a new PSU must be in order but I really don't wanna have to buy a new one if there is a simpler option. Help me PC GAF?

SpyGuy239

dcx4610

Heyy PC GAF! I've never posted in any of the PC threads but I have used the OP to help build myself an ok PC so a bit of a belated thaaank you and <333 for that! I'm really not so knowledgeable hehe.

Sooo I also have a dumb question for you guys. I just bought a graphics card which requires an 8 pin PCIe power cord connected to it, however, my PSU seems to only have a 6 pin. I had no idea because I am dumb and thought I remembered my PSU had an 8 pin.... Guess not... I've seen a few adapters on Amazon, 6 pin to 8 pin and also LP4 to 8 pin, so I was wondering if those are even reliable. Particularly the LP4 to 8 pin since it seems like the 6 pin to 8 pin shouldn't really even work but really I have no idea about that or even if I can trust the Amazon reviews... Otherwise, I guess a new PSU must be in order but I really don't wanna have to buy a new one if there is a simpler option. Help me PC GAF?

Definitely need to know the make/model of your current power supply an the graphics card. Power supplies are cheap these days and I would spend a little extra money to be safe.

dcx4610

Guys help me choose.

I'm torn between the MSI Z270 GAMING M5 and the Gigabyte AORUS Z270X-GAMING 5 at the moment. Any ideas?

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z270-GAMING-M5.html#productFeature-section

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-Z270X-Gaming-5-rev-10#kf

Really can't swallow that Gigabyte color. What;s the story with Mobos from these 2 guys? People always say MSI sucks, but I don't know how true that is. I've been buying MSI graphics cards for years and have never had issues,.

Still a fan of Asus myself but MSI and Gigabyte boards are solid. Both companies have been around since the 80s. Taiwan vs. China. Choose your destiny.

Primus

Guys help me choose.

I'm torn between the MSI Z270 GAMING M5 and the Gigabyte AORUS Z270X-GAMING 5 at the moment. Any ideas?

I just built my new rig today with the GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 mobo. No problems at all, although you have to make sure you get the latest BIOS (currently F5j, a beta) to fix issues with overvolting of Kaby Lake CPUs.

You can disable most of the onboard LEDs either in the BIOS, or via an app you download from Gigabyte.

LilJoka

I've tried just about every combination of VCCIO and VCCSA between 1.2-1.3v in addition to running the ram from 1.3-1.4v. I have also tried to reduce memory timings as well. I'm just about ready to call it good enough at 3866.

Yeah 3866 is still more than enough. Just tighten the timings now. The Intel IMC can only go so far.

0racle

So gaf,

I'm in the market for a GPU for my new PC. Leaning towards the 1070 right now.

Is there anything I should know? New tech right around the corner? Price drops? Alternatives ?

Snookie

Well I decided to go with a 7700k for my build since microcenter has it for 299, and I got the Maximus ix hero for 199. However I saw an open box evga 850g2 power supply for 99 and I figured why not, it said it was tested. I get everything put together last night only to find that the power supply won't turn on. I guess it's back to microcenter today.

So gaf,

I'm in the market for a GPU for my new PC. Leaning towards the 1070 right now.

Is there anything I should know? New tech right around the corner? Price drops? Alternatives ?

Well, Vega is somewhere in the near future, but it's still vague as hell when it's actually coming out. Similar deal with the rumoured 1080 Ti.

What sort of performance are you wanting out of the rig?

0racle

Well, Vega is somewhere in the near future, but it's still vague as hell when it's actually coming out. Similar deal with the rumoured 1080 Ti.

What sort of performance are you wanting out of the rig?

The best I can get within reason.

Spending hundreds more for a card for negligible performance gains isn't what I'm after. As close as top of the line as possible, that is reasonably priced.

Anyone got any recommendations for good FPS mice? I'm using a Deathadder Chroma right now and as much as I like the shape the mouse buttons feel very "squishy".

Preferably I'd like one with DPI buttons and two big buttons on the side like the Deathadder has. I was looking at Zowie's mice but I dunno if they are any good and the lack of rubber grip on the sides is kind of meh.

You need a tool like MSIs afterburner to see if the CPU is running at full clock speed while gaming. While it is unlikely, with the temperatures you posted previously, it seems possible that your CPU is throttling.

I use a 34 1440p 21x9 monitor for desk gaming.

Will also be booking it up to a 1080p projector.

So 1440p60 would be ideal, as however well you handle it there will just get better at a lower resolution (or you can use some downsampling for higher IQ). In that case, I'd probably say a GTX 1070, since that it'll hit that mark on most games at max settings - and overclocking would just help further. If you need some comfortable headroom - ie, 70-80 FPS so you won't ever dip below 60 - the 1080 would be the next step up, but the 1080 is a great deal more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom