• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut runs a few degrees cooler than CLU for next time.

Really? I'm pretty happy with the CLU. How many degrees cooler? Margin of error stuff or what?

Just looked at the price on Amazon. Holy shit $55. Is that what it usually costs or is it just being sold by a price gouger?

Not sure that I will ever want to mess with this again. I'm really afraid of cleaining this stuff. I get the feeling that it won't be easy and the risk of accidentally getting on one of the metal contacts has me wanting to pretty much just leave it alone.

dcx4610

All settings were as you indicated except for V-Sync = Fast, made that change and I still have the same issue. I doubt it's the monitor, it's probably something else...

Something incredibly odd is going on. This didn't happen until you got the new monitor? The monitor really shouldn't have anything to do with your actual frame rates.

Question!

I have my case fans set to increase in speed in conjunction with higher CPU temps. Since my CPU temps aren't going above 60°C my case fans aren't ramping up while gaming or performing GPU intensive tasks. They used to sort of scale together.

Is there a way I can tie the case fan speed to GPU temps? I'm using an ITX case and I really need the case fans to ramp up when things start getting toasty.

Weevilone

Cannot get it to boot when setting xmp in the bios...it only boots into windows when left @ 2133.

Corsair Vengance lpx 2x8gb 3000mhz ram, listed as compatible, but no joy...

Might just be a setting i've missed, or the fact that it's a new platform but it's got me stumped.

Ideas Gaf?

I can only parallel this to my experiences on the Intel side, but it's not uncommon for XMP to not work by just setting it. There are a number of secondary timings that might need to be set manually. Also, anytime you're going above 2133 you are overclocking despite the rating on the RAM and the compatibility lists. It's early days too, so maybe 3000 with a B350 is like trying to push 4000+ with the current Intel products (ie not set and forget, and certainly not a sure thing).

I also haven't studied the memory controller situation with Ryzen. If it's like Intel then you're at the mercy of the integrated memory controller you got in your CPU, so silicon lottery and all.

Vipu

Banned
I am thinking of finally taking the step up to 1440p and I hate looking through pros and cons for each monitor.

OP says that the Acer XB271HU is still the one to go for, but I'm not completely sold on IPS. First of all I feel like it could perhaps be a lot of work to get a good one with minimal backlight bleed.

Then you have 2 camps saying that the 4ms response time is either not noticeable or blurry for faster games. Don't know who to trust!

I am currently using the Asus VG248QE which would then be used as my second monitor, I need to get rid of my 13 year old 1280x1024 monitor.. :p

Those good ips screens have about 2ms more pixel response than best tn but few ms less input lag so its kinda even.
I would never get tn panel again when there is much better stuff available.

Really? I'm pretty happy with the CLU. How many degrees cooler? Margin of error stuff or what?

Just looked at the price on Amazon. Holy shit $55. Is that what it usually costs or is it just being sold by a price gouger?

Not sure that I will ever want to mess with this again. I'm really afraid of cleaining this stuff. I get the feeling that it won't be easy and the risk of accidentally getting on one of the metal contacts has me wanting to pretty much just leave it alone.

Three or four degrees Celsius.

Don't be fearful of cleaning liquid metal paste. It wiped off the die, substrate, and heatsink surface easier than conventional paste. The "stain" it appears to leave on the underside of the IHS is where it has filled in imperfections in the IHS.

Also if you applied liquid metal to both the die and underside of your IHS you likely used too much.

pa22word

Hey guys I'm having issues getting my RAM running at the proper speed. I got 2 sticks of 8GB Corsair vengeance LPX 3200 MHz RAM, and I've got XMP enabled in the bios + the bios set to 3200 MHz. CPUz is still only reporting like 2132 MHz though. Should I start playing with voltage? And if so how much? Never bought OC'd RAM like this so this is a whole new thing to me lol

MB is Asus Apex z270

Three or four degrees Celsius.

Don't be fearful of cleaning liquid metal paste. It wiped off the die, substrate, and heatsink surface easier than conventional paste. The "stain" it appears to leave on the underside of the IHS is where it has filled in imperfections in the IHS.

Also if you applied liquid metal to both the die and underside of your IHS you likely used too much.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm still happy 25°C+ difference it made. I just followed the tutorials I found online. I'd try again but I'm so happy with the results as is that I'd feel hard pressed to mess about with the massive inconvenience involved in redoing the application.

Because of the nature of my build (Mini ITX) I need to:

1. Remove my graphics card. The release switch is very difficult to access (I need to use a plastic knife or some other apparatus to unlock the GPU from the slot. If I don't remove the GPU I can't remove the center fan that makes access to the heatsink screws inaccessible.

2. Need to remove the heatsink mounting hardware because the metal arm and bracket that holds the CPU down can't clear said hardware without me taking it off.

Believe me, it's just a pain in the ass. I really can't imagine I could get results much better than what I've gotten so it's hard to get motivated and redo anything unless I'm already digging around inside the build. Do you have any advice though, on how I can set the case fans to sync with the GPU?

Kevin

So I wish to upgrade my 980ti to the upcoming 1080ti and was wondering from those with more knowledge then me if my PCi-Express 2.0 motherboard is enough to handle one of these new cards?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm still happy 25°C+ difference it made. I just followed the tutorials I found online. I'd try again but I'm so happy with the results as is that I'd feel hard pressed to mess about with the massive inconvenience involved in redoing the application.

Because of the nature of my build (Mini ITX) I need to:

1. Remove my graphics card. The release switch is very difficult to access (I need to use a plastic knife or some other apparatus to unlock the GPU from the slot. If I don't remove the GPU I can't remove the center fan that makes access to the heatsink screws inaccessible.

2. Need to remove the heatsink mounting hardware because the metal arm and bracket that holds the CPU down can't clear said hardware without me taking it off.

Believe me, it's just a pain in the ass. I really can't imagine I could get results much better than what I've gotten so it's hard to get motivated and redo anything unless I'm already digging around inside the build. Do you have any advice though, on how I can set the case fans to sync with the GPU?

If you have an Asus Strix card, you can just plug your fan directly into the gpu. Otherwise, you'd need to use your motherboard's software or UEFI.

EDIT: I'm not saying you should reapply the liquid metal. Just a heads-up for next time. I tested three different 7700k's on my ITX board before going back to my 6700k, so I understand the ITX struggle.

If you have an Asus Strix card, you can just plug your fan directly into the gpu. Otherwise, you'd need to use your motherboard's software or UEFI.

EDIT: I'm not saying you should reapply the liquid metal. Just a heads-up for next time. I tested three different 7700k's on my ITX board before going back to my 6700k, so I understand the ITX struggle.

IIRC motherboards aren't capable of reading temps of expansion cards without using a thermal probe. Unless things have changed and I'm wrong. Unfortunately, my GPU is an EVGA so no fan headers on the card itself. :/

I could probably do what I want to do using Speedfan but I fucking hate Speedfan. I wondered if there's something else out there that isn't so difficult to set up and use.

Arex

Need some opinion on my future (1 or 2 months from now) ITX build :)

I just moved overseas for work, and left my bulky pc behind, going with laptop for now. I'm a 3D/2D artist mainly, so paintings, high res sculpts, and game models; and I also game a bit.

So with the Ryzen out (still waiting for the ITX boards to come out), will going with 1700x, 32gb ram, GTX1060/1070, 1080p most likely, result in any noticable bottleneck from the cpu when gaming, compared to if I go with 7700k? I'm thinking Ryzen's 4 extra cores would help in my rendering (keyshot I think uses cpu), but it shouldn't be far behind in terms of gaming right? As in, the extra cores I gain should be worth the gaming perf I'd lose yah?

(or maybe I should just get my 5820k pc here somehow lol)

Need some opinion on my future (1 or 2 months from now) ITX build :)

I just moved overseas for work, and left my bulky pc behind, going with laptop for now. I'm a 3D/2D artist mainly, so paintings, high res sculpts, and game models; and I also game a bit.

So with the Ryzen out (still waiting for the ITX boards to come out), will going with 1700x, 32gb ram, GTX1060/1070, 1080p most likely, result in any noticable bottleneck from the cpu when gaming, compared to if I go with 7700k? I'm thinking Ryzen's 4 extra cores would help in my rendering (keyshot I think uses cpu), but it shouldn't be far behind in terms of gaming right? As in, the extra cores I gain should be worth the gaming perf I'd lose yah?

(or maybe I should just get my 5820k pc here somehow lol)

The 7700K will give you higher framerates in gaming. Whether that remains once Windows 10 starts to correctly utilize Ryzen the cores is anyone's guess. There seems to be a major difference between minimum framerates between Win7 and Win10 currently.

Okay guys

Intel i5 7600K
Gtx 1080 MSI Armor
16 GB Corsair vengeance 3000 mhz
Intel 960p 256GB
Seagate Barracuda 4TB
Fractal Design R5 case
MSI gaming pro carbon or Asus prime z270-A mobo

What cooler/power supply do I need? I don't plan on doing a lot of overclocking at first because I'm a PC noob.

Also, does anyone recommend either motherboard?

Thanks!

kennah

Everything that was interesting mouse wise was waaaay more than I wanted to spend, but ended up finding a deal on a Rival 100 for $40 Canadian. Reviews say it is similar/better to the Sensei so good enough for me. Thanks for the help!

Yaari

Looking at an i7 7700k build with a Z270 motherboard if my Ryzen plan doesn't go through, what do you guys like for a motherboard, my budget for that is 200-300$. But there's so many in that range and I don't know which to pick.

My current Asus has always done well but then again I can't say I know anything about the other brands available in that range.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Looking at an i7 7700k build with a Z270 motherboard if my Ryzen plan doesn't go through, what do you guys like for a motherboard, my budget for that is 200-300$. But there's so many in that range and I don't know which to pick.

My current Asus has always done well but then again I can't say I know anything about the other brands available in that range.

I personally use the Asus Maximus IX Hero and it's within your price range. If you wanted to save a few bucks you could also look at the Asus Strix motherboards.

Xyber

Those good ips screens have about 2ms more pixel response than best tn but few ms less input lag so its kinda even.
I would never get tn panel again when there is much better stuff available.

I decided to take a chance with it.

I think I hit the jackpot because there is no backlight bleed at all, just a bit of IPS glow visible in the bottom right corner (very minor) which doesn't really bother me.

Tried playing some BF1 and while there's certainly some difference between this and my Asus VG247Q I think I will get used to it pretty fast.

Okay guys

Intel i5 7600K
Gtx 1080 MSI Armor
16 GB Corsair vengeance 3000 mhz
Intel 960p 256GB
Seagate Barracuda 4TB
Fractal Design R5 case
MSI gaming pro carbon or Asus prime z270-A mobo

What cooler/power supply do I need? I don't plan on doing a lot of overclocking at first because I'm a PC noob.

Also, does anyone recommend either motherboard?

Thanks!
Cryorig H7 and a fully modular PSU that's at least 80+ Gold.

Khaz

I'm willing to add more RAM to my crappy laptop. Right now it's using DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) 4GB. How can I find out the maximum amount I can use, outside of looking online? The manufacturer says I can go up to 8GB, but they also say I'm supposed to have two slots, but I really have only one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Same question for the RAM speed, can I invest in faster RAM (2133 is the max for DDR3L) or will it be useless, like it will still be clocked at 1600?

What's up with the price difference between these two?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...1|20-231-759^20-231-759,20-104-562^20-104-562

Bloodember

I'm willing to add more RAM to my crappy laptop. Right now it's using DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) 4GB. How can I find out the maximum amount I can use, outside of looking online? The manufacturer says I can go up to 8GB, but they also say I'm supposed to have two slots, but I really have only one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Same question for the RAM speed, can I invest in faster RAM (2133 is the max for DDR3L) or will it be useless, like it will still be clocked at 1600?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...1|20-231-759^20-231-759,20-104-562^20-104-562

The ram slots are stacked, so there probably is two. Faster RAM will be useless unless it says it can use faster RAM. If the manufacturer says 8GB is the maximum that is the maximum in most cases. In some cases more RAM will work, you just have to try it or do a google search and see if anyone else has had any luck using more RAM than what it states is it's maximum.

Khaz

The ram slots are stacked, so there probably is two. Faster RAM will be useless unless it says it can use faster RAM. If the manufacturer says 8GB is the maximum that is the maximum in most cases. In some cases more RAM will work, you just have to try it or do a google search and see if anyone else has had any luck using more RAM than what it states is it's maximum.

I had to check again just to be extra sure, but nope, only one slot. Unless there is another one on the other side of the board, but then I can't access it without taking the computer apart entirely.

kennah

What's the model number of your laptop?

kennah

It's an ASUS EB1037. More like a nettop actually, I don't know why I said laptop haha

Supports 8 gig because it has a single slot for ram. 8Gig is as big as DDR3L Sodimms come. You have to remove the existing 4 and replace it with an 8.

zeomax

Cannot get it to boot when setting xmp in the bios...it only boots into windows when left @ 2133.

Corsair Vengance lpx 2x8gb 3000mhz ram, listed as compatible, but no joy...

Might just be a setting i've missed, or the fact that it's a new platform but it's got me stumped.

Ideas Gaf?

Set Vccsa and Vccio manually to 1.15V. The auto setting are often to high.

Mk.1 PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Mk.2 PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Mk.3 PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£308.40 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£75.95 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS IX FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£315.36 @ Aria PC)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (£175.98 @ YoYoTech)
Storage: Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£307.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case (£99.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£165.98 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1449.61

I already have the GTX 1080, an old NZXT Kraken CPU water cooler and a bunch of SSDs and HDDs, but I've been a-thinkin' recently that I need to overhaul my six year old 2500K build sometime soon. Holding out for 10nm Intel CPUs seems like a fool's errand at this point, anything that upgrades me from my old i5 would be a massive increase in performance anyway.

Would this kit pair well with the fancy new Asus/Acer 4K HDR 144Hz monitors due out this year, you think?

(Thanks for all the input folks, I'll take it all under consideration!)

MacAttack

I have an oldish gaming system that I would like upgrade for video editting using Premiere/After Effects CC. I am definitely overwhelming my RAM and graphics card but my processor seems to be hanging in there.

My question is if I update these parts one at a time where will I see the most gains in performance?

My current rig is:

CPU: i5 2700k
GPU: GTX 560 ti (2GB RAM)
RAM: 4GB 1333 DDR3

My plan was to do the RAM first and see how it goes but if it makes more sense to upgrade the gfx card I might do that instead.

Thanks in advance.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
These AM4 motherboards need to not have 30 models and stay in stock.
I'm a little puzzled where to slot the differences in R7 1700 and $100-$220 motherboards vs the Intel stuff. The R5/R3 is what I'm much more excited for personally.

Fingers crossed you all don't post that much over 20k before the new thread.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£310.90 @ Alza)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS IX FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£315.36 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£199.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card (£521.90 @ Alza)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case (£99.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£165.98 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1690.03

I already have the GTX 1080, an old NZXT Kraken CPU water cooler and a bunch of SSDs and HDDs, but I've been a-thinkin' recently that I need to overhaul my six year old 2500K build sometime soon. Holding out for 10nm Intel CPUs seems like a fool's errand at this point, anything that upgrades me from my old i5 would be a massive increase in performance anyway.

Would this kit pair well with the fancy new Asus/Acer 4K HDR 144Hz monitors due out this year, you think?
Swap the 950 for a 960 Pro/EVO
I'd drop the memory down to 4x8GB (3000 or 3200Mhz), or a faster 2x16GB kit
I would reuse or get an adapter kit for you water cooler, or just get a $30 heatsink, the noctua is nice but doesnt give you realistic OC gains.
PSU a bit overkill too (motherboard too, but hey)

Parts are all fine though if you wanna go with them.
I have an oldish gaming system that I would like upgrade for video editting using Premiere/After Effects CC. I am definitely overwhelming my RAM and graphics card but my processor seems to be hanging in there.

My question is if I update these parts one at a time where will I see the most gains in performance?

My current rig is:

CPU: i5 2700k
GPU: GTX 560 ti (2GB RAM)
RAM: 4GB 1333 DDR3

My plan was to do the RAM first and see how it goes but if it makes more sense to upgrade the gfx card I might do that instead.

Thanks in advance.
If you do that you'd want a Ryzen R7 1700 rig (cpu, mobo, ram).
If you are on a budget... you probably need at least 8GB of RAM first, but you cant transfer that to a new PC. You are already on 4C/8T and the GPU won't help that much (unless CUDA is a large part of what you are doing)

Not really any good cheap options otherwise that I see.

Mk.1

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£199.99 @ Amazon UK)

Mk.2

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£146.06 @ More Computers)
Total: £1944.09

Why do you want the Du-15 cooler? You could go for the 14 unless you're going for high CPU overclocks? That might save a bit.
Are you using a DVD drive? If not, I'd look at the Fractal Define S instead.
Also, the PSU and mobo seem OTT. Is there a particular feature on that mobo which you need?

gagecube

Banned
I have a question:

I bought an acer 144hz monitor, and I honesty can't tell if I'm displaying in 144hz or not. It should do this with the bundled DVI cables yeah? How can I tell

LilJoka

Mk.1

Mk.2

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£146.06 @ More Computers)
Total: £1944.09

PSU is overkill - both in terms of wattage and platinum.
Motherboard is overkill.
Have you really thought about multi GPU? It's highly unadvised.
You could configure this for a much more nicer and premium build with matx and a phanteks enthoo case.
Spend more on faster ram.
Spend more on the GPU model.

Vipu

Banned
I have a question:

I bought an acer 144hz monitor, and I honesty can't tell if I'm displaying in 144hz or not. It should do this with the bundled DVI cables yeah? How can I tell

Check windows settings that you have 144hz on and not 60?
You should see A LOT smoother everything if you have 144hz.

Qwyjibo

Well, I just ordered an EVGA GTX 1080. Did I REALLY need it? Probably not but I couldn't resist. It'll still be a pretty damn nice upgrade from my R9 390 that I hope will last me a few years.

With the EVGA cards that had the overheating problems, did they add the cooling pads for any shipments afterwards? Or just the BIOS updates I've read about?

I really hope I don't have to mess around too much (or at all) with mine when it comes in.

PSU is overkill - both in terms of wattage and platinum.
Motherboard is overkill.
Have you really thought about multi GPU? It's highly unadvised.
You could configure this for a much more nicer and premium build with matx and a phanteks enthoo case.
Spend more on faster ram.
Spend more on the GPU model.

Agreed on all points except the PSU. I will never buy anything but high-end PSU's after dealing with what would seem to be good enough units from Corsair and EVGA.

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W is only $150 and would be a better choice than that Corsair AX860i.

Filth

Is anyone getting the hp omen x35? Im still on a 1080p monitor with a strong pc. The monitor comes out tomorrow. I will probably wait for reviews and pick it up. Anyone else interested ?

Is anyone getting the hp omen x35? Im still on a 1080p monitor with a strong pc. The monitor comes out tomorrow. I will probably wait for reviews and pick it up. Anyone else interested ?

I'd like an upgrade, but with HDR looming and this monitor (and others) still being "locked" at 100hz, I'll hold on to my Rog swift for the time being.

Post pics and impressions when you get it, so that I can properly envy you xD

Jumping to high-res, high-refresh and gsync is so worth though, you'll never look back.

Filth

I'd like an upgrade, but with HDR looming and this monitor (and others) still being "locked" at 100hz, I'll hold on to my Rog swift for the time being.

Post pics and impressions when you get it, so that I can properly envy you xD

Jumping to high-res, high-refresh and gsync is so worth though, you'll never look back.

Thats my issue also. I didnt know it was locked at 100htz. If im not jumping into 4k i wanted 1440 with 144htz. I saw those hdr monitors also and my mouth dropped, But i realllllyyyyyyyy want to upgrade now :(

Bliany

So I've decided to go for go for the 7700k as an upgrade to my 3750k. Newegg has a 11% off deal on their eBay store right now.

Now I just have to pick a new mobo to match it. I'm liking the Asus z270 lineup. I know the Prime z270-A would probably be plenty for me and the rest is overkill, but the Strix and RoG Hero are looking tempting for a little bit more money. Complete waste of cash?

Jeff6851

So by the end of the year I plan to have this build. I'm looking to run all new games at high/ultra at 1080/60 though I don't mind going down to medium/high to maintain 1080/60. I'd like this build to last a few more years.

GPU: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB*
CPU: AMD FX-8370 (overclocked, with Hyper 212 EVO Cooler*)
Mobo: ASUS 970 Pro Gaming
RAM: GSkill Sniper Series 16 GB DDR3 2133 MHz
PSU: Corsair TX 650W Bronze* (will be six years old by the end of the year)

*already own

Kito

Quick question, a RX480 8GB would be fairly futureproof for 1080p gaming for the foreseeable future?

It's important to state your desired settings in addition to resolution. I can only speak for the reference card: 1080p 60fps low settings, yes. For high settings, GTX 1060 is better. My former 480 did high on 100% volatile load with leaf blower noise. My current 1060 does high on 40% steady load with a tenth of the noise.

Zabojnik

It does? My brief twitter exchange with HP yesterday seemed to suggest otherwise.

d4ef48ad9e.png

spacebear

I could use some help. I'll be buying a new case soon (probably the Enthoo Luxe) and have the opportunity to get upgrades - any recommendations for things I should upgrade now or should I hold off for a while?

Monitor: Acer Z35 - 21:9/144hz
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti G1 GAMING
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H
RAM: Hyper X 16GB DDR3
PSU: Corsair TX650

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom