• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reposting my issue for new page, I've gotten good advice so far but it can't hurt to get a few more eyes on it.

So far suggestions have been delid (don't really wanna void my warranty though) and check thermal paste.

Also thinking of making the most of people selling off their CPUs to go Ryzen and possible price drops to switch to a 6700K/7700K.

And have you checked the thermal paste?

Mystic654

QCSS5KAl.jpg

yI0PiOXl.jpg

zduP0fpl.jpg

UVDPwEal.jpg

a Little standalone system I built to clean out my radiators and get all particles/Dirt out of it.

Vipu

Banned
So now if I wanted to get 7700k and wonder do I need to replace my cooler.
My current cooler says it fits LGA775/1155/1156/1366/2011
And 7700k is 1151

Will it fit anyway? I think when my cooler released there wasnt 1151 socket so maybe it fits anyway?

So now if I wanted to get 7700k and wonder do I need to replace my cooler.
My current cooler says it fits LGA775/1155/1156/1366/2011
And 7700k is 1151

Will it fit anyway? I think when my cooler released there wasnt 1151 socket so maybe it fits anyway?

Physically I believe it should still mount the same, as it's a 115x config. Same deal I had with my TX3 Evo which I carried across from my previous motherboard and CPU; doesn't say 1151 in the manual, still installed fine.

Hi, I need a lot of help building a PC, I'm basically illiterate when it comes to this stuff so I have no idea what I'm doing.

Your Current Specs: Irrelevant trash laptop
Budget: 1000 euro(this budget is including keyboard and monitor), Netherlands.
Main Use: Gaming mostly, Wii/Wii U emulation too.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Dota, Overwatch, I want to be able to buy games that come out in the upcoming year(like Nier:Automata) and now wonder if they'll even run. I'd like to get 60 fps for most games(am willing to drop to medium settings for it), 30 fps is acceptable once in a while if a game is more intensive.
When will you build?: Preferably in the next couple of weeks.
Will you be overclocking?: If i can figure out how to do this, sure why not?

Let me know if something is unclear, I might've left out some crucial info. I'm sure you guys already know this but PC parts are more expensive here than they are in the US I've found(unless someone can direct me somewhere where they aren't).

EDIT: I thought maybe this is somewhere in the range of what I'm looking for.

I need help :(

Sarcasm

My current setup is :

I7 3770K
GTX670
750W

I plan to build a new desktop at the end of the year. What is a good gpu upgrade to tie me over till then? As this desktop will still get used by my wife later.

Bliany

My current setup is :

I7 3770K
GTX670
750W

I plan to build a new desktop at the end of the year. What is a good gpu upgrade to tie me over till then? As this desktop will still get used by my wife later.

I had a similar setup (3570k instead) and upgraded to a 970 last year. It's been doing great for me. Ran the Witcher 3 well and gives me 144fps in Overwatch to match my monitor. Seems like a good option to find one used if you don't want to go all out for this upgrade. I don't know too much about the 1050/1060 but they would seem to be the 970 equivalents for this year.

Sarcasm

I had a similar setup (3570k instead) and upgraded to a 970 last year. It's been doing great for me. Ran the Witcher 3 well and gives me 144fps in Overwatch to match my monitor. Seems like a good option if you don't want to go all out for this upgrade.

Ah man checked local site here, doesn't have that card. Means I have to drive to Taipei or somewhere else and see if they got it and for how much.

I can pick up a 1060 6GB for around 250 depending on clock. Then next card down is the 950.

Maybe I should just buy internationally from the states....

Bliany

Ah man checked local site here, doesn't have that card. Means I have to drive to Taipei or somewhere else and see if they got it and for how much.

I can pick up a 1060 6GB for around 250 depending on clock. Then next card down is the 950.

Maybe I should just buy internationally from the states....

Hmm well the 1060 does seem like a good card, but it depends on your budget. I am considering upgrading my 970 this month. If you're interested in buying it from me shoot me a message.

Edit: Looking at what shipping prices look like (to Taiwan?) I think you're better off finding it there :p

IC5

My current setup is :

I7 3770K
GTX670
750W

AMD RX480, 470, or Nvidia 1060.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Hey guys,

I've decided to upgrade from my 6 year old 3930k/TX Maxwell build with the coming 1080ti. I'm in Australia, and I'm using a PC system builder on a local components shop to put the build together. I was hoping I could get some feedback from you:

http://imgur.com/t2axHfk

Ignore the vanilla 1080 - that's just there as a placeholder.

It's primarily for gaming, but it'll really be for everything computer related that I do, from video stuff, to Photoshop, etc.

How does this build look to people? Will it be 4k/VR ready?

Hey guys,

I've decided to upgrade from my 6 year old 3930k/TX Maxwell build with the coming 1080ti. I'm in Australia, and I'm using a PC system builder on a local components shop to put the build together. I was hoping I could get some feedback from you:

It's primarily for gaming, but it'll really be for everything computer related that I do, from video stuff, to Photoshop, etc.

What are the prices on Ryzen CPUs and AM4 mobos? Because even with inflated Australian prices, I'm sure the mobo and CPU combined would be cheaper than the mobo on that build.

Sarcasm

Hmm well the 1060 does seem like a good card, but it depends on your budget. I am considering upgrading my 970 this month. If you're interested in buying it from me shoot me a message.

Edit: Looking at what shipping prices look like (to Taiwan?) I think you're better off finding it there :p

It depends. Believe it or not most of hardware is more expensive here than the states.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
What are the prices on Ryzen CPUs and AM4 mobos? Because even with inflated Australian prices, I'm sure the mobo and CPU combined would be cheaper than the mobo on that build.

That's probably true, but I'm not really interested in Ryzen, I'd rather stay with Intel.

Smokey

Bought a H110i to replace my old H100 which was making weird noises and generally acting strange. H110i is much better, and I've got the cooling profiles set to my liking. I'm using the stock 140mm fans that came with it, but are there "quiet" 140mm rad fans? The Air 540 once again showed out by seamless accepting the 280mm rad up top with no issues.

Also got the G900. Appreciate the comments when I asked about it a few days ago. Messed around with it for a few hours and I like it. Very responsive and I don't notice a difference at all between wired/wireless. Ready to mess around with it some more this weekend.

erawsd

So I recently bought a 1080 and I think I still have a month of eligibility for EVGAs "Step-up". Worth it to upgrade to the 1080ti if I'm just going to stay with my 1440/144hz monitor?

Bliany

My current rig is:

3570k @ 4.2
EVGA 970 FTW
8gb DDR3 1600MHz
1tb 7200rpm
128gb SSD

BenQ 1080p 144hz monitor

Does it make sense to upgrade the cpu/mobo/ram or the graphics card at this time? I'm starting to see performance issues in newer games like Battlefield 1 and Watchdogs 2 and want to be prepared for Mass Effect: Andromeda. Thanks.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
After research and much consideration I think I'm going to get the 7700k. It just seems more reliable and will let me do everything I want at optimal. I don't know how much these new Ryzen bios or updates will help it out but I don't see it being much different if AMD is being sneaky about it.

After research and much consideration I think I'm going to get the 7700k. It just seems more reliable and will let me do everything I want at optimal. I don't know how much these new Ryzen bios or updates will help it out but I don't see it being much different if AMD is being sneaky about it.

Hard to go wrong with a 7700k to be honest.

sono

Gold Member
Gaf, I am looking for rules of thumb on temperatures for 7700K cpu and 1080 graphics cards temperatures as to long term reliability

I havent seen anything on this, so wondering if you have thoughts on this.

Based on not much, I am thinking something like
<75 ideal, no worries at all
80-85 ok for hard core gaming sessions, but keep an eye on things
>=90 - ouch - do something with your cooling , dont wait.

(figures in Centigrade)

thank you.

sono

Gold Member
So what is the consensus on a mid tier mobo for overclocking a Kaby with no rgb if possible.

so at this point Kaby is very current. The mobo is a key purchase for your new system, so picking that is very important.

The main players here are Asus, MSI and Gigabyte.

adding RGB is really nothing to the mobo complexity, so its not a saving.

I personally went for the Gigabyte AORUS GA-Z270X Gaming 7, there are certainly cheaper z270, but this board has good specs and has creative soundblaster built in which is good value add.

appaws

Banned
so at this point Kaby is very current. The mobo is a key purchase for your new system, so picking that is very important.

I personally went for the Gigabyte AORUS GA-Z270X Gaming 7, there are certainly cheaper z270, but this board has good specs and has creative soundblaster built in which is good value add.

I don't think there is anything like consensus. But I would recommend the Asus Prime for a mid-tier Mobo. Fully featured, and their software and fan control is a step above. But, like Sono says, MSI and Gigabyte also have nice offerings in that range.

appaws

Banned
By the way....

I ordered my first Caselabs case last night. Grabbed an SM8, but apparently won't be shipping until the second half of April. Gonna do custom cables from Cable mod and maybe an aquero 6xt.

This is a non-stealth, straight up brag. Just had to brag, I'm immature.

kennah

By the way....

I ordered my first Caselabs case last night. Grabbed an SM8, but apparently won't be shipping until the second half of April. Gonna do custom cables from Cable mod and maybe an aquero 6xt.

This is a non-stealth, straight up brag. Just had to brag, I'm immature.

Brag away! Good for you! My next case is going to be a BH4.

Smokey

1060 at stock clocks gave me an avg of 65 fps in BF1, Ultra (save effects - Medium), 2560x1440. Min frames 50 or so. While it was a bit over 60fps, I did notice a difference in overall fluidity between it and the 1070, but overall, impressed.

tick221

I don't think there is anything like consensus. But I would recommend the Asus Prime for a mid-tier Mobo. Fully featured, and their software and fan control is a step above. But, like Sono says, MSI and Gigabyte also have nice offerings in that range.

Thanks for the replies!!

I remember in prior generations there was always that "one" motherboard that made things super easy on the OC front, apparently there are more than a few choices now.

I ordered a Phanteks P400s tempered glass case for my new build. Really excited to check it out.

I've been exceedingly happy with my Phanteks Enthoo Pro on my other build.

Dear pc-gaf,

It's been over a decade since I built my last pc. Don't even know the specs any more.

I'de like to jump back in animation and film production and as an added bonus be able to play recent games on my pc again.

I would prefer an elegant small formfactor build. I don't want to put a giant tower in my living room.

I've selected my preferred parts, but I'de like to hear some alternatives to get the price down.

I'm from Belgium, prices tend to be a bit higher than the US.

Case: fractal design node 304
Psu: Corsair RM650x Watt Enthusiast Series PSU Modular
Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac (s1151-Intel Z270-Mini IT)
Cpu: i7-7700k
Gpu: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 AERO OC 8GB GDDR5
Ram: 16g 3000mhz ddr4
Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S CPU Cooler
Ssd: 500g Samsung 850 pro
Hdd: 2tb Seagate 7200 rpm

Picked parts from Codima.be as I like to have a physical contact point when buying hardware.

Ends up over 1700 euro, which is a little too high for the missus.

What would you suggest I swap to lower the price?
The 7700k to a 7600k?
Cheaper Mobo (I like on-board WiFi and Bluetooth though)?
Smaller sdd?
A 1060 instead?

I do a lot of graphic work and film.
Most used programs will be games, photoshop,illustrator,indesign, premiere, audition, after effects and clip studio paint.

I might switch to a higher resolution screen in the future.

Could you give my a hand?

Dear pc-gaf,

It's been over a decade since I built my last pc. Don't even know the specs any more.

I'de like to jump back in animation and film production and as an added bonus be able to play recent games on my pc again.

I would prefer an elegant small formfactor build. I don't want to put a giant tower in my living room.

I've selected my preferred parts, but I'de like to hear some alternatives to get the price down.

Picked parts from Codima.be as I like to have a physical contact point when buying hardware.

The 7700k to a 7600k?
Smaller sdd?
A 1060 instead?

Most used programs will be games, photoshop,illustrator,indesign, premiere, audition, after effects and clip studio paint.

What resolution are you playing at? What will you go to?

Pagusas

Elden Member
QCSS5KAl.jpg

yI0PiOXl.jpg

zduP0fpl.jpg

UVDPwEal.jpg

a Little standalone system I built to clean out my radiators and get all particles/Dirt out of it.

Is the % improvement in thermal performance worth it over an AIO zero maintenance system? I've always had trouble justifying watercooling beyond the AIO's, I dont want to have to clean a system beyond basic dusting.

Somehow, I feel like it'd be sacrilege to mix a Ryzen CPU and an Nvidia GPU, but damn if I'm not tempted with the way things currently stand for a PC build sometime this year.

Posted this in the TI thread, but also trying here as I think it might have better visibility:

Got an offer for $450 for my unopened EVGA 1080 FTW (RMA edition, not the new cooler but with the heat pads, etc). Any good?

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Hey guys,

Around August is when the new Skylake X platform comes out. Not really worth dumping all that money into x99 platform at this time. You could easily get a 1080 Ti and pair it up with your 3930K as long as it's overclocked well to hold you over.

However, if you must buy now.

I'd recommend buying off pccasegear.com.au their prices are much better then the place you are buying from atm. Also, you can use staticice.com.au to look up parts and compare prices for parts in Australia.

Motherboard wise I'd recommend against the ASUS Rampage V E10 it's just too overpriced and ASUS x99 boards are still killing chips you can look it up on google for threads with pissed off owners. I'd recommend checking the motherboard reviews over at Tweaktown since SIN (Steven Bassiri) does some of the best motherboard reviews on the web going in depth regarding VRM design and so forth.

http://www.tweaktown.com/cat/motherboards/socket-lga-2011/index.html

Also, with the money you save on motherboard you could invest it into a NVMe drive like the Samsung 960 Evo. :p

LilJoka

Is the % improvement in thermal performance worth it over an AIO zero maintenance system? I've always had trouble justifying watercooling beyond the AIO's, I dont want to have to clean a system beyond basic dusting.

It's more than just performance, noise is also better with a high quality pump like a D5. Plus reliability. How many times do we hear AIOs failing here... Custom loop to AIO is like Custom rig to Pre built.

Dear pc-gaf,

The 7700k to a 7600k?
Smaller sdd?
A 1060 instead?

You will have to remove the PSU bracket to fit that PSU and GPU without the cables fouling. It'll be a right fit, I have the same PSU and MSI GAMING GTX 970.

It's a solid and optimum part choice, you could save some money on a cheaper PSU and even go 550W.
Lower the SSD storage unless you need it as scratch space for video work. For games there isn't much point.
The last thing I would drop is the CPU and GPU. These parts are your long term investment, you will pay the price later and it'll be worse financially, especially the CPU.

It's more than just performance, noise is also better with a high quality pump like a D5. Plus reliability. How many times do we hear AIOs failing here... Custom loop to AIO is like Custom rig to Pre built.

You will have to remove the PSU bracket to fit that PSU and GPU without the cables fouling. It'll be a right fit, I have the same PSU and MSI GAMING GTX 970.

It's a solid and optimum part choice, you could save some money on a cheaper PSU and even go 550W.
Lower the SSD storage unless you need it as scratch space for video work. For games there isn't much point.
The last thing I would drop is the CPU and GPU. These parts are your long term investment, you will pay the price later and it'll be worse financially, especially the CPU.

Thank you for the input,
Would you suggest another case then?
I'de like to use a good Modular Psu. A stable silent power source is a cornerstone to a good reliable workstation I think.

Are there any variants for the motherboard you could suggest, I've seen a gigabyte mobo which is about a third cheaper...

At the moment 1080p, but will probably upgrade to 1440p pretty soon (either by getting a color graded screen or a Wacom cintiq depending on how crazy I'm feeling)

will want to try to get my psvr running on there as well...

Well a 1060 would be a decent saving for a 1080p set up, and should last a while on the vast majority of games at high/ultra with 60fps, but at 1440p generally the advice is go for a 1070 if possible.

Personally in terms of the SSD I'm glad I went with 500gb, as with modern games they eat into it quite quickly, and I would presume there will be some benefits to be had if your using large files for your editing.

I would personally keep the CPU for longevity (it would seem that AMDs recent launches might just push the PC market towards more cores and threads, which again might push out more software that really benefits from having those extra threads in the coming years, so the 7700k would in that sense prove a good investment for the increase in cost over the 7600k).

Do you really need wi-fi and Bluetooth onboard?

Also, you would be fine with a 550w PSU, even with a 1070 surely?

appaws

Banned
Thanks for the replies!!

I remember in prior generations there was always that "one" motherboard that made things super easy on the OC front, apparently there are more than a few choices now.

Yeah, it's weird with motherboards these days. They all perform in a pretty narrow range. As long as you stick to the "good" brands, you can choose pretty much on price and looks.

The difference between the lower and higher priced boards is usually more about features than it is any giant OC advantage.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys is it worth it to buy a i5-7600K if you don't have a overclocking motherboard? i don't think i have the budget for a full oc setup right now. Alternative i was thinking on getting a i5-7500 and pair it up with non oc board, i mostly want to play Rainbow Six siege and dota and some other multiplayer games so i was thinking something like this:

i5-7500
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB DDR4
MSI H110M PRO-VH
Zotac GTX 1060 (6 GB)
Corsair Carbide Series 100R
(i already have hard disks)

If i could get 60FPS in siege and decent FPS in other games i would be happy.

Bloodember

Hey guys is it worth it to buy a i5-7600K if you don't have a overclocking motherboard? i don't think i have the budget for a full oc setup right now. Alternative i was thinking on getting a i5-7500 and pair it up with non oc board, i mostly want to play Rainbow Six siege and dota and some other multiplayer games so i was thinking something like this:

i5-7500
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB DDR4
MSI H110M PRO-VH
Zotac GTX 1060 (6 GB)
Corsair Carbide Series 100R
(i already have hard disks)

If i could get 60FPS in siege and decent FPS in other games i would be happy.
Wrong motherboard. You want a 200 series board, the 100 series are older, will probably work but it'd be wise to get a board that is designed for your CPU. Other than that it looks fine.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Wrong motherboard. You want a 200 series board, the 100 series are older, will probably work but it'd be wise to get a board that is designed for your CPU. Other than that it looks fine.

Oh right i forgot about that, however i think you can flash this board to work with the new CPU's but like you said it's probably better to get one of the new Kaby Lake boards, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom