• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

rezn0r

rezn0r, I would just get what is available now. It seems like both Intel and AMD have compelling options. One aspect I can say I am very satisfied with is my ASUS mobo. Fantastic UEFI and AI Suite makes overclocking a breeze.

Deep down, I know this is the real answer. I just need to pull the trigger. I was waiting to see how the X-series/X299 turned out, and all I see are complaints... and all I really care about is gaming when it comes down to it, so all signs still point to the 7700K. Plus, it's sounding more and more like Coffee Lake (if it's even a real upgrade) will use LGA 1151, so yeah I should just stop being a puss and buy everything. Maybe this weekend. I do my best purchasing after a bunch of drinks =)

Deep down, I know this is the real answer. I just need to pull the trigger. I was waiting to see how the X-series/X299 turned out, and all I see are complaints... and all I really care about is gaming when it comes down to it, so all signs still point to the 7700K. Plus, it's sounding more and more like Coffee Lake (if it's even a real upgrade) will use LGA 1151, so yeah I should just stop being a puss and buy everything. Maybe this weekend. I do my best purchasing after a bunch of drinks =)

Well from personal experience I can attest to the 7700k being a beast. I am able to run Breath of the Wild on CEMU at a solid 30FPS at 4K. No other games I play really seem to challenge it. Likely my 1080 would be a problem before the CPU is.

Dave_6

This is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PzHnVY

All the storage is being carried over from my current PC along with the monitor, KB, mouse etc.

Just waiting on my replacement case (first one was damaged) to arrive today and the mobo is supposed to be here tomorrow. It's hard to beat the 7700K for just gaming though.

xRaizen

So what GPU is the best for 1080p/60fps? I'm not planning on going higher than 1080p for the next few years. I was looking at the 1060 or the 1070.. or can I also go cheaper? I'd like to play most/all games on High/Ultra with a steady 60fps.

Any help is appreciated :)

Edit: Actually, is there a build good for what I'm asking? That'd be great too lol. I don't mind if it's cheap or not, just nothing astronomical.

MechaDekka

Neo Member
So some guys on the Linus Tech Tips forum said that a Noctua NH-D15 found here is needed for an i7 7700k. I was wondering if a similarly beefy cooler was needed for an R7 1700x. I purchased this Noctua NH-U12S
for my 1700x and was wondering if that was enough for overclocking it. Sorry if this is a noob question it's my first build.

Hope it's ok if I bump this. I'm having a real hard time finding an answer. Should I return the NH-U12S or is it good enough?

dcx4610

So what GPU is the best for 1080p/60fps? I'm not planning on going higher than 1080p for the next few years. I was looking at the 1060 or the 1070.. or can I also go cheaper? I'd like to play most/all games on High/Ultra with a steady 60fps.

Any help is appreciated :)

Edit: Actually, is there a build good for what I'm asking? That'd be great too lol. I don't mind if it's cheap or not, just nothing astronomical.

You can probably get away with 1060 if you just want 1080/60. If you have a 144hz monitor and want to hit some higher frame rates, I'd go 1070 for peace of mind.

xRaizen

You can probably get away with 1060 if you just want 1080/60. If you have a 144hz monitor and want to hit some higher frame rates, I'd go 1070 for peace of mind.
I don't have a 144hz monitor, I'm okay with 60fps for now as I'm not planning on updating to 1440p or 4k for at least two years once I save up some money for a beast PC.

I just want something that will reliably play most everything at 1080/60.

dcx4610

Hope it's ok if I bump this. I'm having a real hard time finding an answer. Should I return the NH-U12S or is it good enough?

If you plan on overclocking, you'll probably have better success and luck with the bigger one. Minor overclocking or just regular cooling, you should be fine.

You might want a bit more cooling than that if you're really going to crank clocks. If you absolutely need the best, the NH-D15 pretty much is it, but you're paying for it. You can get something almost as good for around the price of the U12S. Check out Scythe, Phanteks, Thermalright...

MechaDekka

Neo Member
You might want a bit more cooling than that if you're really going to crank clocks. If you absolutely need the best, the NH-D15 pretty much is it, but you're paying for it. You can get something almost as good for around the price of the U12S. Check out Scythe, Phanteks, Thermalright...

Ok, I think I'll go with the Be Quiet Dark Rock 3. How do you guys know if the cooler you get is sufficient before you buy?

Tonezorz

Was hoping to get some recommendations on what you folks would upgrade on my system, or if you would go with a completely new build?

​
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
MSI Gaming N760 TF
i5-4670K - 3.4GHz - Quad Core - LGA 1150
G.SKILL 2 x 8GB @ 2133Mhz

Two platter drives for steam/storage and two older kingston SSDs for OS / Current Playing Games - I think they're both around 250 MB/s read/write

I'm feeling a little anemic on the power front, been playing PUBG lately and struggling to hit 60 frames @ 1080p

Overclocked processor from 3.4 to 4.2 without issue, ran at 4.4 for a bit and had one hard crash restart, so backed it back down.

kuYuri

Was hoping to get some recommendations on what you folks would upgrade on my system, or if you would go with a completely new build?

​
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
MSI Gaming N760 TF

Two platter drives for steam/storage and two older kingston SSDs for OS / Current Playing Games - I think they're both around 250 MB/s read/write

I'm feeling a little anemic on the power front, been playing PUBG lately and struggling to hit 60 frames @ 1080p

Overclocked processor from 3.4 to 4.2 without issue, ran at 4.4 for a bit and had one hard crash restart, so backed it back down.

If you can find an i7-4790k, that would be a great upgrade. That 760 is going to hold you back too, it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I'd recommend a GTX 1060 to replace it. Should allow you to do 1080p/60 on high settings in most games.

Branson

Resolution is all GPU based right? If I want 4k/60 in the future but not right now, a 7700k will last into the 4K jump pretty ok?

Tonezorz

If you can find an i7-4790k, that would be a great upgrade. That 760 is going to hold you back too, it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I'd recommend a GTX 1060 to replace it. Should allow you to do 1080p/60 on high settings in most games.

Thanks! Would you probably recommend the GPU first? I feel like if I drop $300 on a processor I may just as well upgrade to a 7 series with a new build.

Yeah, that should be enough. For myself I'd pull my hard drives also.

Remove the HDD. Push all the cables to the other side / behind the MB. Tape and/or tie down any items that can move, like wires. Don't want them moving, hitting and damaging your MB.

I hadn't considered the hard drive since it feels so secure, or pushing all the cables through... Thank you.

I'll pull the SSDs from their tray on the back side as well.

Looking at the CoolerMaster page for AMD AM4 Upgrade kits I'm confused if my cooler is supported. I have the Hyper 212 plus, which I'm assuming can use the same replacement bracket the Hyper212 EVO received?

​
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
MSI Gaming N760 TF

I had the same GPU/CPU combo until recently. I thought about getting a new CPU but after doing some research I've come to the conclusion that it is not really worth it if I'm sticking with 1080p/60.
Getting a new GPU should be enough for the next few years. RX570/580 or GTX1060 should be enormous upgrades, especially if you've got the 2GB 760 (like I did).

That said, good luck buying a GPU right now.

Jarnet87

Anyone here use the SteelSeries Arctis 7? Seems they are some of the best reviewed headsets but I thought I would ask around.

I can only comment on my experience with Steel Series. A friend and I both got Siberia V2's maybe 4-5 years ago and they both died within 10-12 months. I did not think they were very comfortable either. made the switch to HyperX and have been very happy.

I can only comment on my experience with Steel Series. A friend and I both got Siberia V2's maybe 4-5 years ago and they both died within 10-12 months. I did not think they were very comfortable either. made the switch to HyperX and have been very happy.

Thanks. That is very helpful. Which HyperX do you own? I was also looking at the HyperX Cloud Revolver S.

Buggy Loop

I was wondering, while waiting for a freaking mini-ITX ryzen board... if for an HTPC, the Node 202 case to be more specific, if 1600x or 1600 should be favored? I will not be able to use the 1600's wraith spire cooler because it does not fit in the case, i already went with Cryorig C7. The price difference is so ridiculous now, i'm hesitant.

1) Not planning to overclock, at least not seriously, it's HTPC...
2) I prefer cool & quiet

Does the higher TDP of the 1600x, while not overclocked, will produce more or less heat?

Should i simply go with the cheaper 1600 if not overclocking is in the cards?

or overclocking with 1600x in a node2 with a non stock cooler will be really fine?

LilJoka

I was wondering, while waiting for a freaking mini-ITX ryzen board... if for an HTPC, the Node 202 case to be more specific, if 1600x or 1600 should be favored? I will not be able to use the 1600's wraith spire cooler because it does not fit in the case, i already went with Cryorig C7. The price difference is so ridiculous now, i'm hesitant.

1) Not planning to overclock, at least not seriously, it's HTPC...
2) I prefer cool & quiet

Does the higher TDP of the 1600x, while not overclocked, will produce more or less heat?

Should i simply go with the cheaper 1600 if not overclocking is in the cards?

or overclocking with 1600x in a node2 with a non stock cooler will be really fine?

Not sure why you would overclock a HTPC.
What I would be looking for is a CPU that will do HEVC decoding and 10/12bit, HDR etc.

Jarnet87

Thanks. That is very helpful. Which HyperX do you own? I was also looking at the HyperX Cloud Revolver S.

I owned a Cloud for a long time, and recently bought a Cloud II. After a lot of normal wear and tear plus running over the cord all the time the mic cord was real rough and stopped working. My only complaint is I went from a dual 3.5mm connection to USB, so now i have to disable the mic instead of just unplugging it, but it's not a big deal.

Okay, I just built my new PC and I'm trying to install Windows 10 with a usb. I ordered Windows 10 online and received it in the mail. It's a disc installation and my case lacks a disc drive. It appears there is no product key anywhere, so did I waste my money?

Okay, I just built my new PC and I'm trying to install Windows 10 with a usb. I ordered Windows 10 online and received it in the mail. It's a disc installation and my case lacks a disc drive. It appears there is no product key anywhere, so did I waste my money?

There has to be a CD key something in the packaging, the email that confirmed your purchase, or on the disc itself? I've never seen one without it. Where'd you buy the W10 from?

PC gaf need quick help on deciding components.

Is it better to go with 6700K or 7700K? I know the latter performs better but when considering bang for $, reviews etc... which one should I go with?

Also how would I go about buying storage? I was thinking of an ssd and an internal drive but don't know how much storage I need between the two and wondering whether to go M2 or not for ssd

Final question: Need suggestions on 1080ti cards or does any of them do the trick?

Appreciate the answers

Jintor

My Radeon R9 200 series is dead I think, I'm tying to rescue it but in the event I can't, what could be a decent replacement?

Gotta pretty small form factor case also

Just pricing things out right now I guess

What Mobo do you guys recommend for a 7700k and 1080ti? Would like to overclock

ASUS Maximus and STRIX Z boards are solid and plenty of variants depending on your budget.

I'm using a Maximus IX Code with a 7700k and 1080Ti and it's great for OC'ing. Bunch of presets in BIOS for effortless OC up to 5Ghz.

MSI makes some good gaming boards too.

Really you can't go wrong with one of the mid-tier+ boards from the big companies.

Alright gonna probably order these soon, either this weekend or next week, pretty excited

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master - Silent Pro M 700W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $468.96

Praying for a price drop on some 3000 or 3200 RAM. Excited to build again, we got a side panel now boys! We in there

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Didn't realize it's only ~10 bucks more for 3200 and with those numbers that's a definite edit to my parts list. Thanks for the heads up.

For the CPU, unless the 1600 isn't enough for streaming 720p60, I can't justify the added cost of the 1700, even with its price drops. Am I missing something?
You're probably not going to get above 4Ghz on any Ryzen part, so worst case scenario, you could find yourself losing 33% performance to save 22% on your build. It's a tossup for pure gaming, but the 1700 is going to be a better CPU for streaming than the 1600. You may even be able to do 1080p streaming.

dr_mario

Hi there,

so I don't have much time to optimize my system, which is why I'm now for the first time in the win 10 settings. I found this information about my RAM really weird:

It says "16 GB installed Ram, 7,63 GB useable". Why is only half of the Ram usable? Is that normal?

You're probably not going to get above 4Ghz on any Ryzen part, so worst case scenario, you could find yourself losing 33% performance to save 22% on your build. It's a tossup for pure gaming, but the 1700 is going to be a better CPU for streaming than the 1600. You may even be able to do 1080p streaming.

After thinking about this, it almost feels like the 1600 is my 2500k, and the 1700 is the 2600k.

Do feel like I'll be holding the 1700 back with my 390, but it leaves room for an upgrade in the future.

If I DO go for the 1700 though, feels like it'd be wrong not to spring for a motherboard with 4 RAM slots, right?

Buggy Loop

In CND$

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $284.99)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $34.85)
Motherboard: ----- Waiting on Gigabyte mini-ITX
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $174.99)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $125.98)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case w/450W Power Supply (Purchased For $169.84)
Total: $935.64

Just purchased the Ryzen 1600 and 3200 corsair memory. Only thing left is the gigabyte mini-itx board and cheaper GPUs (can wait)

Bloodember

Hi there,

so I don't have much time to optimize my system, which is why I'm now for the first time in the win 10 settings. I found this information about my RAM really weird:

It says "16 GB installed Ram, 7,63 GB useable". Why is only half of the Ram usable? Is that normal?

No it's not normal. Are you using a descrete video card? Where in the setting are you seeing this?

After thinking about this, it almost feels like the 1600 is my 2500k, and the 1700 is the 2600k.

Do feel like I'll be holding the 1700 back with my 390, but it leaves room for an upgrade in the future.

If I DO go for the 1700 though, feels like it'd be wrong not to spring for a motherboard with 4 RAM slots, right?

I feel the same way about the 2500k/1600 and 2600k/1700.

Got a 2500k back in 2011... upgrading to my 1700 this weekend. Feels right, some how.

And 4 RAM slots isn't necessarily the right answer. You can get 2x8 GB now, sell them in a few years, and buy 2x16 GB at that point, I think, without any major trouble.

I have 2 RAM slots (2x8 GB of 3000 MHz) paired with a 1700 that I will be setting up this weekend for streaming/rendering.

Question on migrating from my old to new build. IIRC I'll need to reinstall windows on my SSD and make sure my licence transfers properly since I'm on new hardware. But for my HDD, can I just throw that in my new system? Or do I need to (aka should I) backup that data and format the drive for the new system?

Ok, I think I'll go with the Be Quiet Dark Rock 3. How do you guys know if the cooler you get is sufficient before you buy?

Best bet is to look around at reviews and find someone running a CPU of similar TDP using that cooler. Usually reviews are open air, not in a case, but will give you some idea. It's hard to no exactly how much you need until you start overclocking and find the limits of your CPU. So I usually buy something decent that doesn't cost too much and live with what I get. It's always a balance between noise and performance too.

I'd also take a look at the Scythe FUMA. Looks to be the current price-performance winner.

Samsung SE790. The curve adds nothing to me really, but the sharpness is noticeable and the thing is fucking huge.

Then the curve is doing it's job. You want it subtle enough that you don't really notice it. But you'd definitely notice the lack of curve on a huge, wide monitor like this (depending on how far you sit from it). I don't think I'd like a flat ultrawide now that I've used a curved one.

Bloodember

Question on migrating from my old to new build. IIRC I'll need to reinstall windows on my SSD and make sure my licence transfers properly since I'm on new hardware. But for my HDD, can I just throw that in my new system? Or do I need to (aka should I) backup that data and format the drive for the new system?
Your license will transfer as long as its not from a prebuilt. You may have to call Microsoft since you are changing your motherboard. As for Windows, in most cases you can just put it in and Windows will figure out what to do. Me personally, if in doing a major change, IE CPU change, I will format and start from scratch.

zewone

If you're on Windows 10, you can link your license to your Microsoft account. I just did this myself and it activated right away on my new system without issue.

Dave_6

I'm about to (hopefully) do the same this weekend. New build but carrying over my current storage. I imagine I'm going to run into some issues but I'm prepared for that.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Inside of pc cleaned out
Data backed up to external hdd
Videocard drivers updated
Windows updates install
Wallpaper changed

Ready for next month :)

Top Bottom