• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card to a 1080ti from a 980ti and wondering if this is the best upgrade I can do from my current system.

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz (oc 4.4ghz)
16.0GB DDR4 Ram
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170-A
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Edit: Oh and I'm running on ROG PG279Q at 144hz

I was also thinking about getting another 16gb of ram. Would that be worth it?

Thanks

Celcius

°Temp. member
What Mobo do you guys recommend for a 7700k and 1080ti? Would like to overclock
+1 for what PlayALLtheGames said. I've been using my Asus Maximus IX Hero since it came out and have been enjoying gaming on it and overclocking with it.

What's next month

Nothing special... just regular computer usage lol. Once a month I just like to clean the dust out of my system (especially off of the fans), then back up my data just in case, and then change out my wallpaper to something different to change things up, etc...
I usually do it on the first day of the month but this time went ahead and did it today since I'll probably be busy tomorrow.

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card to a 1080ti from a 980ti and wondering if this is the best upgrade I can do from my current system.

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz (oc 4.4ghz)
16.0GB DDR4 Ram
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170-A
6144MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Edit: Oh and I'm running on ROG PG279Q at 144hz

I was also thinking about getting another 16gb of ram. Would that be worth it?

Thanks

Fixed the typo for ya :)
Your system looks solid overall so upgrading the videocard to get closer to 144fps makes sense if you want to upgrade. If you're just gaming I wouldn't upgrade the system memory though as 16gb is already plenty and plus RAM prices are on the rise.

Branson

So, reading around, I noticed that a few here had been suggesting PlayAsia for the $20 Windows 10 key. Further reading into that, a thread on Reddit said that those aren't legit keys and MS can revoke those at any time. Is that true? I thought PA was a reputable seller.

Bloodember

So, reading around, I noticed that a few here had been suggesting PlayAsia for the $20 Windows 10 key. Further reading into that, a thread on Reddit said that those aren't legit keys and MS can revoke those at any time. Is that true? I thought PA was a reputable seller.
As far as I know playasia is reputable. You have to remember that people sell windows keys on reddit also, so those same people will consider playasia a competitor and make sure people buy them from there not playasia. Just my 2 cents.

Amazon's selection of PC cases is pretty lacking, and I had forgotten how slow newegg's shipping is. Guess I'll build in my old case so I can make sure this all works.

Anything I should know for RAM and RAM overclocking? Think I'm gonna go with Corsair, hopefully I can hit 3200 without issue

Cool 1 day shipping on my CPU, mobo, and RAM. Building tomorrow! (in my old case)

FHIZ

Okay, got my GPU and cooler, still buying things piece by piece, and I just realized I live real close to a Micro Center. Question about their motherboard and processor prices, I read that they're low to begin with, but do they have a Fourth of July sale going on or something, because if I'm looking at this correctly, I can get a 7700k and ASUS Z270e at a discounted price, then knock another $30 off because I'm buying them at the same time. $450 is too good to pass up if that extra $30 is limited.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Is there a big difference in gaming performance between various speed levels of DDR4 RAM? I can't believe how much prices have gone up. My bro's putting together a build with a 7700k and 1070, but he wants to cheap out on RAM to save some cash.

Just from quick googling, it really doesn't seem to matter that much.

Okay, got my GPU and cooler, still buying things piece by piece, and I just realized I live real close to a Micro Center. Question about their motherboard and processor prices, I read that they're low to begin with, but do they have a Fourth of July sale going on or something, because if I'm looking at this correctly, I can get a 7700k and ASUS Z270e at a discounted price, then knock another $30 off because I'm buying them at the same time. $450 is too good to pass up if that extra $30 is limited.

I'm subscribed to MicroCenter's emails and there hasn't been anything about a 4th sale.

They're great though. You can get a 7700k for $299 in store.

Vipu

Banned
Win10, no creators update
After starting pc, background went black and could not move mouse, when ctrl+alt+del screen went light grey and could not do anything.
Booted and screen was grey still before windows login but it worked after that, what happened?

Can gpu be dying or something?

Xyphie

They are non-retail keys stolen from volume licensing agreements. They are "legit" in the sense that they activate and such until Microsoft decide they'll block activations with them, which they've occasionally done.

Finaika

Nothing special... just regular computer usage lol. Once a month I just like to clean the dust out of my system (especially off of the fans), then back up my data just in case, and then change out my wallpaper to something different to change things up, etc...
I usually do it on the first day of the month but this time went ahead and did it today since I'll probably be busy tomorrow.

I do this at the end of every month too (except the back up & wallpaper part).

I have a 960 4GB right now. If I want to play WoW at Medium to High, 60 FPS at 1440p, would either of these cards roughly get me there?

980 4GB ($220)
1060 6GB ($280)

And, between those two, which would you pick for general gaming and video editing purposes? Or should I just save up for a 1070 once prices come down to realistic levels?

Bloodember

I have a 960 4GB right now. If I want to play WoW at Medium to High, 60 FPS at 1440p, would either of these cards roughly get me there?

980 4GB ($220)
1060 6GB ($280)

And, between those two, which would you pick for general gaming and video editing purposes? Or should I just save up for a 1070 once prices come down to realistic levels?
If you want 1440p, you'll want a 1070 at least.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Win10, no creators update
After starting pc, background went black and could not move mouse, when ctrl+alt+del screen went light grey and could not do anything.
Booted and screen was grey still before windows login but it worked after that, what happened?

Can gpu be dying or something?

Is your computer overclocked? How long have you had the computer and what are your specs? Do you know how to check the SMART attributes of the ssd or hdd that your OS is installed on?

I do this at the end of every month too (except the back up & wallpaper part).

*high-five*

980 4GB ($220)
1060 6GB ($280)

I haven't played WoW but the 1060 & 980 are very close in performance so I'd choose the 1060 over the 980 due to more vram, newer architecture, lower power consumption, etc...
However, for 1440p gaming in general I'd definitely go for the 1070 over either of the others.

Branson

They are non-retail keys stolen from volume licensing agreements. They are "legit" in the sense that they activate and such until Microsoft decide they'll block activations with them, which they've occasionally done.
Well shit. I knew it was too good to be true. Until now I wasn't actually factoring in another $100 in OS buying.

Dave_6

Posting this from my new build! It's only my second time since I built my first one back in early 2013. Not much cable management has been done yet as I just wanted to make sure everything was working first, plus I'm going to get some sleeved cables and different fans soon.

Carried over my current/previous storage and surprisingly everything seems to work and it didn't even ask me to authorize Windows or anything (yet at least). I've lost about ~40 GBs of space on my main drive though and I don't know what from. The only thing I've done software wise is use DDU to delete all the old graphics drivers then installed the latest Nvidia ones. No other driver updates have been done and everything else seems to be working.

35522938131_90aca49f08_o.jpg

EDIT: Nevermind, tried to launch Forza Horizon 3 and it tells me that I can't use it. Trying to re-authorize now but I keep getting an error message about the Windows servers being down.

Branson

Posting this from my new build! It's only my second time since I built my first one back in early 2013. Not much cable management has been done yet as I just wanted to make sure everything was working first, plus I'm going to get some sleeved cables and different fans soon.

Carried over my current/previous storage and surprisingly everything seems to work and it didn't even ask me to authorize Windows or anything (yet at least). I've lost about ~40 GBs of space on my main drive though and I don't know what from. The only thing I've done software wise is use DDU to delete all the old graphics drivers then installed the latest Nvidia ones. No other driver updates have been done and everything else seems to be working.

EDIT: Nevermind, tried to launch Forza Horizon 3 and it tells me that I can't use it. Trying to re-authorize now but I keep getting an error message about the Windows servers being down.
Congrats. Damn that RAM looks cool.

NEO0MJ

Speaking of the Kraken, what are the odds that a water based CPU cooler will get damaged in international shipping? Thinking of just going all the way with the cooler after regretting going with the CM Evo.

Nice. I mentioned it before but I'm so mad stores only brought in RGB ram two weeks after I built my PC, and I was asking them about it for like a month!

bachikarn

So I am going to get a 7700K, and want to OC it. Is it correct to say that an AIO cooler isn't necessary, and the Noctua - NH-U12S is more than sufficient?

Dave_6

Well nearly two hours later via chat and remote access my Windows 10 is reactivated. It would not accept my original product key so he wound up getting another key and saving it for me.

Edit: my new RAM is 3200mhz. What do I need to change in the BIOS to get it running properly?

coopolon

Does 2800 really improve performance that much over 2400 in real world applications? 2400 just seems to be a much more common speed.

Smokey

Great looking build. Also glad to see another Kraken x62 owner!

rtcn63

So I am going to get a 7700K, and want to OC it. Is it correct to say that an AIO cooler isn't necessary, and the Noctua - NH-U12S is more than sufficient?

Do you have a reason for overclocking? For gaming, you're looking at minimal to no gains in FPS at the cost of increased heat/power draw... on already overly hot CPU.

First take first try, didn't even do a test boot.

Gotta take a look at my RAM, hopefully it doesn't take too long to get it to 3200 on both sticks. I've heard people swap the sticks with eachother to get to max speeds, hopefully it won't come to that, but we'll see

Windows activation doesn't like my new HW, Gonna see if I can solve this over a chat, don't wanna call but if I have to I will

Whoops sected 10 N Pro, I have a 10 N Home key. Well time to install windows again lol

Yay I fixed it, now for the reinstall of all my stuff! See y'all in 2 hours

added an AMD build for you
Bookmarked both, thank you!
I'm brand new to building a PC and this would be my first build so I don't really know what a ryzen CPU would offer vs an Intel so that would be my first question
And my second question is how relevant will these builds be in 6-7 months? My two options right now are to buy a gaming laptop or just build a PC. I'm leaning more towards a laptop purely because I like the mobility and convenience and my living situation might change in the next few months. I still plan to build a PC no matter what but I'm thinking I might build one of these over the next few months. In 6 months will these builds still be worthwhile? Sorry if these are dumb questions

Very impressed with both builds though.

Jafku

I'm brand new to building a PC and this would be my first build so I don't really know what a ryzen CPU would offer vs an Intel so that would be my first question
And my second question is how relevant will these builds be in 6-7 months? My two options right now are to buy a gaming laptop or just build a PC. I'm leaning more towards a laptop purely because I like the mobility and convenience and my living situation might change in the next few months. I still plan to build a PC no matter what but I'm thinking I might build one of these over the next few months. In 6 months will these builds still be worthwhile? Sorry if these are dumb questions

In the next 6-7 months? The ryzen would be far more viable then the intel build purely because by then the next generation of intel chips would've launched and the current Ryzen platform is projected to be supported up til 2020.
A Ryzen cpu offers 8 cores and 16 threads vs the Intel i7-7700K which offers 4 cores and 8 threads.

In the next 6-7 months? The ryzen would be far more viable then the intel build purely because by then the next generation of intel chips would've launched and the current Ryzen platform is projected to be supported up til 2020.
A Ryzen cpu offers 8 cores and 16 threads vs the Intel i7-7700K which offers 4 cores and 8 threads.
I'll keep that in mind. But it's not too ridiculous of an idea to grab parts over a few months? I understand it's not very practical to grab a gaming laptop when I can have a gtx1080ti build for a similar price but lugging around a desktop possibly to numerous places doesn't seem too fun, in addition to being able to play games just about anywhere at least to hold me over til later.

In terms of relevance both of those builds will be playing games on very high settings at very high resolutions for the rest of the generation. You buy a PC like that, you're pretty much set for the next 4 or 5 years (conservative estimate), barring some crazy new technological breakthrough. They're crazy good PC's, kicking the snot out of any console including the XOX. I'd even argue that they're overkill, depending on what you want to play.

I'm a fan of waiting for deals and snapping parts up as they're cheap, but I'm also a fan of watching when parts are released. If you buy a CPU now but get your GPU in six months, a new CPU could have dropped in that six months. So, you'll want to vaguely cluster your purchases together in some capacity as well. There's no perfect time to buy, but there's better and worse times (for example, I would not buy a mid-range GPU right now. Not sure you even could.)

A laptop won't be quite as good on the performance to price ratio, but I'm sure you can find a decent laptop that's also capable of gaming. It really depends on what you want to play and how important resolution, frame rate, and graphical quality is for you.

I just got this:

MSI Trident Arctic 1070

Damn son. Those super compact PC's always make me jealous. Looks great.

bachikarn

Do you have a reason for overclocking? For gaming, you're looking at minimal to no gains in FPS at the cost of increased heat/power draw... on already overly hot CPU.

I assumed the overclocking gave better benefits. I'm looking to do 1440p + 165 Hz. So I figured any additional improvement would help, but perhaps I am mistaken.

In terms of relevance both of those builds will be playing games on very high settings at very high resolutions for the rest of the generation. You buy a PC like that, you're pretty much set for the next 4 or 5 years (conservative estimate), barring some crazy new technological breakthrough. They're crazy good PC's, kicking the snot out of any console including the XOX. I'd even argue that they're overkill, depending on what you want to play.

I'm a fan of waiting for deals and snapping parts up as they're cheap, but I'm also a fan of watching when parts are released. If you buy a CPU now but get your GPU in six months, a new CPU could have dropped in that six months. So, you'll want to vaguely cluster your purchases together in some capacity as well. There's no perfect time to buy, but there's better and worse times (for example, I would not buy a mid-range GPU right now. Not sure you even could.)

A laptop won't be quite as good on the performance to price ratio, but I'm sure you can find a decent laptop that's also capable of gaming. It really depends on what you want to play and how important resolution, frame rate, and graphical quality is for you.

I'll probably get the smaller bits over the next few months then get the big parts around winter. So case/storage,cooling,power I'll probably grab September/October then November/December when deals start coming up I'll get the big parts. But yeah I'm very happy with the builds.

As for the laptop, it's going to be an MSI GE72mvr with a gtx1070 and 7700hq. It'll be about the same price as that build, a bit cheaper which isn't great but it's convenient for me right now. But after seeing that build I've kinda lost all interest in console gaming, especially with how expensive an XOX would be here. So the laptop and tower will probably be my future in terms of gaming with my ps4 and maybe a switch for exclusives.

Smokey

Thanks! Your post back when you got one initially sold me on it as I was going to get a H100i. Plus it looks awesome too.

I just noticed you got the 810 keyboard too, which I have as well. Great keyboard and I'd also say underrated. Don't see it mentioned enough.

Thanks! Your post back when you got one initially sold me on it as I was going to get a H100i. Plus it looks awesome too.

I got the kraken for 95% aesthetic reasons. Luckily it also performs pretty darn well.

I also have some regrets on my case. Really wish I got the Enthoo Evolv or maybe the S340 Elite.

Hi guys

I OCD my 4770k to 4.5ghz with 1.25v and it's stable. Idle temps around 35-40c and heavy load gaming temps seem to MAX out at 70c. Is this safe?

Think I'm gonna wait for my Fractal Mini C to get here to OC my 1700, being that it IS summer, I have a single case fan.

Weird, m-flash didn't recognize my USB drive in either Ex-FAT or NTFS... Guess I'll try FAT32, which shoulda been my first pick I guess lol

THERE WE GO phew got spooked. Time for the power to go out and brick my system :p

FHIZ

I need some help understanding the ratings of PSUs and what I should get for my situation. So I know how many watts I need but the bronze, silver, gold stuff isn't all that clear to me. It's something like if the PSU is being maxed out bronze will waste more energy than a gold? Is that right?

But if I'm getting one with a good deal more watts than what PC Partpicker says I'll need, and if I'll treat my new build mostly as a console as in I come home from work, play games for a few hours then turn it off, repeat the next day, would splurging for a gold make sense in my situation?

bachikarn

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but where did you guys look for desks? I'd like to have a big enough desk to fit 3 monitors and space to do some work, but kind of a loss as to where to look. Not really a fan of furniture stores.

Top Bottom