• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

We need a PC GAF Discord. I recently became a $2/month backer of GamersNexus on YouTube and their Discord is incredible IMO.

Gonna miss this thread so much.

kuYuri

Thank god were back. Quick question.

Thinking of getting the meshify c case to replace my define s. I’m interested for the TG and better airflow. Should I go for it?

I have:
7700k @ 5.0 1.28v
H100i v2
1080 FTW2

I want to mount my rad up top but the define s doesn’t have a top filter. The meshify does.

Thanks guys

If it fulfills your needs, go for it. It seems to be the new go to ATX case from Fractal with some good reviews.

Guys, I had an absolute nightmare for a first build :(

Firstly, mounting the CPU it felt like I had to press the lever down (LGA 1151) really hard to get it all the way down - I'm a strong guy and I had to put alot of effort into it.

Went on to eventually get it all inside and set-up, stupidly cable ties it etc before checking it all worked. Went to power on and nothing. Resolved this because the 24pin was slightly loose.

Then it turned on, fans spin, CPU cooler (H100i GTX) and GPU light up, but no POST - would stay in this state until I turned it off. Tried turning it on/off a few times with same each time.

I ensured all connections on motherboard were in properly (yes 8pin CPU power was in), and checked my RAM were in correct slots as per mobo.

This is where it gets really stupid...

Thought it may be something wrong with CPU seating due to the massive pressure I had to put on the lever to seat it, so I took the CPU cooler off and unmounted the CPU.

Inspecting the mobo CPU seat it looked like a pin was out of place, stupid tried correcting it and made more pins out of place. At this point I was stressed af and not thinking straight, tried to reseat the CPU anyway but did it UPSIDE DOWN. it barely made contact with the mobo but I instantly realised my mistake as I saw some TIM had came off on the mobo pins.

Accepted the fact my mobo is probably fucked, and ordered a new one. However I'm scared af to try it all again now, and worried it won't work.

Also, the TIM on the CPU looks pretty 'worn' - should this be the case from it just being turned on a few times? Does it heat up so instantly to do this? It looks similar to this picture:
heatsink-thermal-compound-reuse-1.jpg

I'm worried somehow my CPU is fried, I didn't use anti static but very often touched grounded case and was working on wooden floors.

Any advice, next steps? I know I need to remove the TIM from CPU and cooler, and reapply. If I've fried my 8700k I am ready to cry.

DoomGyver

We need a PC GAF Discord. I recently became a $2/month backer of GamersNexus on YouTube and their Discord is incredible IMO.

I’ve been watching a ton of GN videos, their content is excellent and they seem like a good group of people.

Celcius

°Temp. member

Firstly, mounting the CPU it felt like I had to press the lever down (LGA 1151) really hard to get it all the way down - I'm a strong guy and I had to put alot of effort into it.

Went on to eventually get it all inside and set-up, stupidly cable ties it etc before checking it all worked. Went to power on and nothing. Resolved this because the 24pin was slightly loose.

Then it turned on, fans spin, CPU cooler (H100i GTX) and GPU light up, but no POST - would stay in this state until I turned it off. Tried turning it on/off a few times with same each time.

I ensured all connections on motherboard were in properly (yes 8pin CPU power was in), and checked my RAM were in correct slots as per mobo.

Thought it may be something wrong with CPU seating due to the massive pressure I had to put on the lever to seat it, so I took the CPU cooler off and unmounted the CPU.

Inspecting the mobo CPU seat it looked like a pin was out of place, stupid tried correcting it and made more pins out of place. At this point I was stressed af and not thinking straight, tried to reseat the CPU anyway but did it UPSIDE DOWN. it barely made contact with the mobo but I instantly realised my mistake as I saw some TIM had came off on the mobo pins.

Accepted the fact my mobo is probably fucked, and ordered a new one. However I'm scared af to try it all again now, and worried it won't work.

Also, the TIM on the CPU looks pretty 'worn' - should this be the case from it just being turned on a few times? Does it heat up so instantly to do this? It looks similar to this picture:

I'm worried somehow my CPU is fried, I didn't use anti static but very often touched grounded case and was working on wooden floors.

Any advice, next steps? I know I need to remove the TIM from CPU and cooler, and reapply. If I've fried my 8700k I am ready to cry.

As soon as you put the cooler on the cpu the thermal paste will spread out. If you've removed the cooler from the cpu then it would definitely need to be cleaned off both the cpu and cooler, and then reapplied. The cpu should hopefully be ok assuming the pcb isn't bent or anything. Once you get the new motherboard I would just be careful to insert the cpu the correct way and try not to spill the thermal paste on the motherboard - you should only need to put a pea sized dot on the middle of the IHS.

kuYuri

heatsink-thermal-compound-reuse-1.jpg

You bent some pins on the motherboard AND had some of the thermal paste get in the CPU socket? Yeah... I think you are fucked dude.

If it was just the pins that got bent, you might have been able to salvage the motherboard by bending them back, which takes quite a bit of steady hands and just general not messing up cause you could easily make it worse. But if any of the thermal paste got on there and is now starting to dry up, I would think the motherboard is done for. Maybe other people have opinions about it.

As for the paste drying up, did you make sure to clean the paste off the CPU each time whenever you removed the cooler?

Bustanen

Are the pins broken or just bent? You could try straightening them with tweezers or pliers.

CPUs shut down before reaching damaging temps so it should be fine.

You bent some pins on the motherboard AND had some of the thermal paste get in the CPU socket? Yeah... I think you are fucked dude.

If it was just the pins that got bent, you might have been able to salvage the motherboard by bending them back, which takes quite a bit of steady hands and just general not messing up cause you could easily make it worse. But if any of the thermal paste got on there and is now starting to dry up, I would think the motherboard is done for. Maybe other people have opinions about it.

As for the paste drying up, did you make sure to clean the paste off the CPU each time whenever you removed the cooler?
I'm not an expert but if he didn't use liquid metal type TIM or something electrically conductive cleaning with alcohol should suffice

Renekton

Fully regret settling on a cheap motherboard due to supply issues. I should have held on to the CPU and waited for fresh mobo supplies.

I've been watching a ton of GN videos, their content is excellent and they seem like a good group of people.
GN is legit top tier, though Steve drones for a bit too long and gets upset at random viewer comments (OUT OF THE BOX THERMALS).

Anyone migrating this fine work to ResetERA?

Hazaro mentioned to me in PM weeks ago that he was somewhat looking to have someone else take over. I don't mean to speak for him, but I'm just saying, I don't know if he's active enough to plan to archive the OP/other OPs/etc.

Personally, I'll leave my builds up that are in the OP as they're saved to my PCPartPicker account. I'll probably keep those updated if the group collectively moves. I don't plan to stick around GAF long-term though and am mostly trying to tie up some loose ends right now with a few communities I'm involved with.

LordAlu

Hazaro mentioned to me in PM weeks ago that he was somewhat looking to have someone else take over. I don't mean to speak for him, but I'm just saying, I don't know if he's active enough to plan to archive the OP/other OPs/etc.

Personally, I'll leave my builds up that are in the OP as they're saved to my PCPartPicker account. I'll probably keep those updated if the group collectively moves. I don't plan to stick around GAF long-term though and am mostly trying to tie up some loose ends right now with a few communities I'm involved with.

Anyone migrating this fine work to ResetERA?
I would think quite a few people would be moving, myself included. Hazaro hasn't mentioned anything to me either, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get going again.

A Discord is probably a great idea, although it may be best to wait a little while for ResetERA to get going?

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Gamers Nexus are good people. I dig their quality work and will show my support as well.

Build update: got all my components and still waiting on that damn i7 8700K. This sucks.

kuYuri

I have no intention to stay here long term nor migrate to what amounts to a gaf offshoot.

This is likely the last you will see of me. But in the meantime, I’ll help the community how I can until it feels like most people have moved on to their respective communities.

I've already accepted the fact it's probably done for and ordered a new one - even if the motherboard is salvageable (cleaning TIM off, setting pins straight) I've heard stories it could still damage the CPU, so I don't want to risk it more. I have not had to clean any paste off yet as this is the first time I had put it together (no TIM on CPU, pre-applied TIM on cooler). Once unmounting it looked kinda dry even though it never got past boot, but as I say I don't know if this is normal or not.

As soon as you put the cooler on the cpu the thermal paste will spread out. If you've removed the cooler from the cpu then it would definitely need to be cleaned off both the cpu and cooler, and then reapplied. The cpu should hopefully be ok assuming the pcb isn't bent or anything. Once you get the new motherboard I would just be careful to insert the cpu the correct way and try not to spill the thermal paste on the motherboard - you should only need to put a pea sized dot on the middle of the IHS.

This is good to hear - I'm not familiar with how fast it spreads etc, it just looked kinda dry as if it had had a lot of heat on it. This was the very first time the CPU or Cooler had been used (and not even getting past boot), so that's why I was surprised it seemed so dry when I unmounted it.

Are the pins broken or just bent? You could try straightening them with tweezers or pliers.

CPUs shut down before reaching damaging temps so it should be fine.

I'm not an expert but if he didn't use liquid metal type TIM or something electrically conductive cleaning with alcohol should suffice

They're just bent. I will keep this bad motherboard and potentially use it in a future test build if I can get my hands on a cheap CPU - don't want to risk a half broken motherboard blowing up a nice 8700k.

Thanks for the help guys. Final question regarding pressing the lever on the LGA 1511 locket: should it be a lot of pressure to get the lever back under its catch? It really seemed like I had to put a lot of pressure on, but being my first build I don't know if this is normal or notl

Decado

I don't see a PC maintenance thread, so I thought I'd ask here.

My PC is about 5 yrs old with a GPU upgrade. I think it is in need of cleaning (reformatting). Is there a good alternative to doing a full reformat? I was reading about a Win10 feature "resetting". Is that a suitable alternative? I hate reinstalling Windows.

I also need a new PC...will get to that at some point.

kuYuri

Thanks for the help guys. Final question regarding pressing the lever on the LGA 1511 locket: should it be a lot of pressure to get the lever back under its catch? It really seemed like I had to put a lot of pressure on, but being my first build I don't know if this is normal or notl

It’s normal for their to be pressure when pushing down on the latch. Some motherboards require more pressure versus others, but it should never feel like you are going to break the motherboard or anything.

Weevilone

It’s normal for their to be pressure when pushing down on the latch. Some motherboards require more pressure versus others, but it should never feel like you are going to break the motherboard or anything.

Yeah at least speaking for an Asus board, I just did my 8700K. It's nothing my 12 year old couldn't have easily done.

AlexBasch

Is it normal that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update takes several hours to complete? Haven't been able to install my 1050 Ti and put my Ryzen 1600 gear together last night, goddammit.

Just want to say this was a great thread and I learned a lot here. Hopefully I also helped a few people along the way.

Here's hoping we meet again on another forum some day.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Is it normal that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update takes several hours to complete? Haven't been able to install my 1050 Ti and put my Ryzen 1600 gear together last night, goddammit.

Well mine wasn't "several" but it was somewhere in the range of 1.5 to 2 hours.

Whenever installing a huge update, it ca be faster to just clean install using this method.

Josman

This was the single best thread on Neogaf, really showed what the GAF PC community was made of, I hope to see it again thriving in ResetEra

AlexBasch

Whenever installing a huge update, it ca be faster to just clean install using this method.
Ugh. Wish I could have seen this last night. It's been updating overnight and is still not done. It's bullshit.

Thanks anyway.

Will leave GAF as well but I wanted to check this thread over the weekend. I'll be around in ResetEra when it's live. Peace.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

SteamGAF might be the closest analogue. Send a PM to ColdSun, who is running the Discord channel, if you haven't already joined it.

dcx4610

I've already accepted the fact it's probably done for and ordered a new one - even if the motherboard is salvageable (cleaning TIM off, setting pins straight) I've heard stories it could still damage the CPU, so I don't want to risk it more. I have not had to clean any paste off yet as this is the first time I had put it together (no TIM on CPU, pre-applied TIM on cooler). Once unmounting it looked kinda dry even though it never got past boot, but as I say I don't know if this is normal or not.

This is good to hear - I'm not familiar with how fast it spreads etc, it just looked kinda dry as if it had had a lot of heat on it. This was the very first time the CPU or Cooler had been used (and not even getting past boot), so that's why I was surprised it seemed so dry when I unmounted it.

They're just bent. I will keep this bad motherboard and potentially use it in a future test build if I can get my hands on a cheap CPU - don't want to risk a half broken motherboard blowing up a nice 8700k.

As mentioned, it looks like you used a ton of paste. Just a dab the size of a rice grain in the center will do. It will heat up and spread itself.

Depending on the socket, you just need to gently lay the CPU in the socket. It should feel firmly in place and seated. The very requires a tiny bit of pressure to lock it into place. If you are having to put a lot of force on it, make sure it’s seated properly.

Started a PC building thread over on Waypoint if some people are looking to jump ship.

I'm gone. Peace.

Wasn't a huge fan of Waypoint from what I saw when I visited. Seems like that forum has a pretty narrow focus and thus has some restrictions on the types of threads that can be created. Which is fine. But it would have to be one of many forums I frequent... and right now I think I only have room for one.

I'm waiting to see how ResetEra and the OpenCritic forums pan out.

For now, I'm in the SteamGAF Discord. You all should join :)

As mentioned, it looks like you used a ton of paste. Just a dab the size of a rice grain in the center will do. It will heat up and spread itself.

Depending on the socket, you just need to gently lay the CPU in the socket. It should feel firmly in place and seated. The very requires a tiny bit of pressure to lock it into place. If you are having to put a lot of force on it, make sure it’s seated properly.

I definitely think it wasn't seated properly the first time then - hopefully that hasn't ruined the CPU forcing it down :/

And that picture of the paste wasn't mine - mine looks similar but a bit less, but as I said I didn't apply the paste it was pre-applied to the cooler.

Anyway I'll try and rebuild tomorrow, here's to hoping I haven't blown my new 8700k.

PtKid

Banned
Hi guys, i am in the market for a new GPU, however due to mining the price of GTX 1070 as gone through the roof at least here in the UK.

I game on a ROG 1440p 144hz monitor and i am wondering if i should spend the extra £50 and just get the 1080 or is it overkill?

ZOONAMI

Hi guys, i am in the market for a new GPU, however due to mining the price of GTX 1070 as gone through the roof at least here in the UK.

I game on a ROG 1440p 144hz monitor and i am wondering if i should spend the extra £50 and just get the 1080 or is it overkill?

Absolutely not overkill. A ti wouldn’t even be overkill for 1440p 144hz.

nnarum

So I pulled the trigger on the meshify c. Pretty excited. Going to give my old case and PSU to my GF for her build.

Anyone have the Corsair RGB fans? Thinking of putting some in my case and wondering if they could work effectively on my 240 radiator.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just PM if you need something / contact.

I would think quite a few people would be moving, myself included. Hazaro hasn't mentioned anything to me either, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get going again.

A Discord is probably a great idea, although it may be best to wait a little while for ResetERA to get going?
Archiving is just copying the original post in a quote really. I do have text backups though, I always have.
As far as updating the OP on GAF towards the future, who knows. I'll wait a while and see what settles. I already have been much much less active on GAF as of recent.
At the very least I can move/help move stuff onto a new thread as people talk about what direction and such they want things to go.

Thanks both of you for your contributions.
I have no intention to stay here long term nor migrate to what amounts to a gaf offshoot.

This is likely the last you will see of me. But in the meantime, I'll help the community how I can until it feels like most people have moved on to their respective communities.
Well, thought that was the end of this bookmark.

Good to see it back, I visit this thread too much.

Thank you all for your contributions as well.

Renekton

So I pulled the trigger on the meshify c. Pretty excited. Going to give my old case and PSU to my GF for her build.

Anyone have the Corsair RGB fans? Thinking of putting some in my case and wondering if they could work effectively on my 240 radiator.
Be careful with the glass panel. My Meshify C panel shattered without any impact last week.

Renekton

The hell? Was it just sitting there and spontaneously combusted? I’m scared now
Yeah I took out the panel to add in GPU and it just shattered on my hand.

My mistake was I briefly lifted the PC by holding both side panels. The glass was not made to support the weight of the PC, so some fracture likely occurred there. So yeah don't do that and you're fine.

Jamaro85

Anybody got suggestions for a mobo for Ryzen 1600? I have a cousin who is putting together a PC for architectural rendering, she likely won't need too many bells and whistles. I don't want to cheap out, but also don't want her paying more for a bunch of features she likely won't need (doubt she'll be OCing for one). She'll be getting a mid sized tower.

Edit: Ok stopped being lazy and started poking around. Is there any reason a A320 mobo wouldn't be suitable, vs a B350? Is there any reason I'd want to consider a X370?

nnarum

Yeah I took out the panel to add in GPU and it just shattered on my hand.

My mistake was I briefly lifted the PC by holding both side panels. The glass was not made to support the weight of the PC, so some fracture likely occurred there. So yeah don't do that and you're fine.

RIP. Did you contact fractal design?

TokiDoki

We need a PC GAF Discord.

Why couldn't someone just set it up ? Is it because of the difficulty in moderating it ?

Hazaro mentioned to me in PM weeks ago that he was somewhat looking to have someone else take over.

I'm interested in the prospect actually as I'm always been into helping out communities with PC builds . Am already an avid poster in /r/buildapc and even started a website in hwtrend.com to gain communities . If there is a chance to do so I would gladly participate into it , possible to loop me in the PMs ? thanks !

nnarum

The regional distributor for Fractal is (slowly) looking into it, right now they have a hard time believing their glass can be shattered without impact.

Damn. Best of luck to you. I feel like they are pretty customer friendly based off the impression of their pr guy Josh. Maybe try to hit him up on Twitter? Would be a huge disappointment if they couldn’t do something for you.

RulkezX

Saw a deal somewhere i7 7700 / gtx 1060 G6b / 16Gb ram etc for £870

Seems a decent deal. How is teh 7700's gaming performance ? is the heat issue still an issue ?

hoserx

Saw a deal somewhere i7 7700 / gtx 1060 G6b / 16Gb ram etc for £870

Seems a decent deal. How is teh 7700's gaming performance ? is the heat issue still an issue ?

7700k gaming performance is great. It's not so hot that you can't cool it with an AIO. If the deal is good for you, do it.

Ok, my wife's gone crazy and is starting to build a PC around a MSI Z370-A PRO, adding good stuff all around (core i7-8700 3.2GHz, G.Skill RAM), but for a couple of months she will have to use my old PALIT GTX 660 Ti as a GPU.

Will that work without a hitch? I know nothing about GPU compatibility - I mean, I know that I can physically plugin the card into the mainboard, but my question is - should I?

hoserx

Ok, my wife's gone crazy and is starting to build a PC around a MSI Z370-A PRO, adding good stuff all around (core i7-8700 3.2GHz, G.Skill RAM), but for a couple of months she will have to use my old PALIT GTX 660 Ti as a GPU.

Will that work without a hitch? I know nothing about GPU compatibility - I mean, I know that I can physically plugin the card into the mainboard, but my question is - should I?

Of course it will work. It's a pci-express video card and that board has pci express slots. You should have no concerns. It won't be powerful, but you know that.

Top Bottom