• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

bomblord1

Banned
Unless ITX is a necessity for size, you could go with microATX ad give yourself more options for price/mobo and case. I went with ITX because of what I was doing, but it's still an option.

Also, does he not already have a Windows license?

From the combo's I tried it seemed that was cheaper than just about any other MOBO when I took into account that it had built in WIFI so I was saving around $30 by not adding in a PCIE wifi card. If you have a suggestion I'm completely open though.

And he does not have any Windows licenses as this will be his first PC.

Ashhong

I think I read before about how there are motherboards with M2 slots that only give the performance of an SSD, or something like that. Can someone clarify? I know very little about M2 stuff

Weevilone

I think I read before about how there are motherboards with M2 slots that only give the performance of an SSD, or something like that. Can someone clarify? I know very little about M2 stuff

You need an x4 M.2 slot and an NVMe drive (not M.2 with SATA chipset) to get top level performance.

Easiest way to understand it is to remember that M.2 is just a form-factor.

The interface is what determines speed (in this case, PCI-E vs SATA). The "only give performance of [SATA]" is what you meant to say; they're all SSDs.

Eesh, those NVMe are super expensive. So is there any point in getting M2 with SATA chipset over an SSD drive?

Not unless you want to save some space.

Even if you went with a PCI-E based M.2 you probably wouldn't see the differences day-to-day, depending on use. Just the potential is a shitload higher.

Weevilone

Eesh, those NVMe are super expensive. So is there any point in getting M2 with SATA chipset over an SSD drive?

Yes, you don't have ugly cables all over.

Look at something like MyDigitalSSD brand for NVMe. The 480GB is like $180 and performs great. The 240GB is around $110.

Ashhong

Easiest way to understand it is to remember that M.2 is just a form-factor.

The interface is what determines speed (in this case, PCI-E vs SATA). The "only give performance of [SATA]" is what you meant to say; they're all SSDs.

So would a Samsung EVO 960 250GB be worth 30$ more than an 850 EVO?

edit: interesting..I think I'll need to read up more on benchmarks..

edit2: confusing stuff, so I need to have PCI-E x4 slots to utilize the speeds of an NVMe SSD? I see M2 connections on this board but nothing about x4, but it does list 4 different M2 port types..

http://www.microcenter.com/product/474112/GA-Z270-HD3_LGA_1151_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

So would a Samsung EVO 960 250GB be worth 30$ more than an 850 EVO?

edit: interesting..I think I'll need to read up more on benchmarks..

edit2: confusing stuff, so I need to have PCI-E x4 slots to utilize the speeds of an NVMe SSD? I see M2 connections on this board but nothing about x4

http://www.microcenter.com/product/474112/GA-Z270-HD3_LGA_1151_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

Yeah that mobo supports it.

On newegg:
1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support)

I've got the 500GB 960 EVO NVMe and it's awesome. I'd definitely go with that.

TBH I went with an Intel 600p 256GB nvme drive for mine because of the cost different from the Samsung and it's been fine. At the time (and maybe now, not checking) it was actually cheaper and was about the price of a comparable 2.5" SSD.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
is it actually worth it for me to upgrade my 1TB 850 evo to an m.2 nvme? the speeds are way faster but would it make a difference? i only really play games. i am not sure if i should keep my current 2.5 sata drive or go for the m.2 nvme. the prices are crazy but if it's really worth it then i'll look into it.

is it actually worth it for me to upgrade my 1TB 850 evo to an m.2 nvme? the speeds are way faster but would it make a difference? i only really play games. i am not sure if i should keep my current 2.5 sata drive or go for the m.2 nvme. the prices are crazy but if it's really worth it then i'll look into it.

Will it be an upgrade? Yeah sure. But not significantly enough to drop that cash down. Better to save that money toward a GPU/CPU/RAM.

Couldn't endorse it for gaming alone.

Weevilone

I think you would gain headroom that you wouldn't necessarily notice. That was my experience with NVMe for gaming.

Vic_Viper

Need helping finding a good external hard drive for my laptop and PC. I'm looking for something similar to the old WD My Books. I want one that will just stay plugged in at my desk, not going to be taking it anywhere and I'd rather not get one of the smaller portable drives.

Is there a new line of My Books? What should I search for when looking for a non portable external HDD?

Need helping finding a good external hard drive for my laptop and PC. I'm looking for something similar to the old WD My Books. I want one that will just stay plugged in at my desk, not going to be taking it anywhere and I'd rather not get one of the smaller portable drives.

Is there a new line of My Books? What should I search for when looking for a non portable external HDD?

I swear by WD Passport portables. Just grabbed a 3TB one a couple of months ago:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LQQHBK8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I am a straight up waffle'r, was thinking about that MSI for 225, but kept seeing reviews about it running but warm.

I am now back to this model EVGA:

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814487275/reviews

Respected brand? 239.99 with a rebate, 250 otherwise. They also have at my Best Buy that I could prove match and walk out the store with as well.

Any thoughts, my options for this one are Newegg/BB/Amazon.

Posted a page back, but just trying g to selfishly grab some input before pulling the trigger.

Weevilone

PCpartspicker says this warning with my motherboard

The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6Gb/s port is disabled.

What does it mean? This is my mobo..does it still support full NVMe speeds?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

It's common with the mainstream boards. There just aren't enough PCIE lanes so things have to share. It'll be full speed and you'll lose that SATA port.

Ashhong

It's common with the mainstream boards. There just aren't enough PCIE lanes so things have to share. It'll be full speed and you'll lose that SATA port.

Got it, thanks! Only 20$ more for the EVO 960 vs 850. Seems like a no brainer.

Are the Crucial and PNY SSDs as good as the EVO 850?

Primus

PCpartspicker says this warning with my motherboard

The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6Gb/s port is disabled.

What does it mean? This is my mobo..does it still support full NVMe speeds?

PCPartPicker will put that warning up on any mobo you specify an M.2 SSD for, as it doesn't understand the difference between M.2 SATA and M.2 PCIE. I looked up the manual for your mobo, and a full PCIE M.2 SSD (like the 960 EVO) will not use up a SATA port.

Got it, thanks! Only 20$ more for the EVO 960 vs 850. Seems like a no brainer.

Are the Crucial and PNY SSDs as good as the EVO 850?

EVOs are the top of the line, but the Crucials aren't that much worse.

Leonidas

Was wondering if anyone knows the best/cheapest way to remove a scratch from a case. Here is a pic, it looks deeper than it actually is in the picture, it's very shallow, can't even feel it...

y4jabim.jpg

Bloodember

Hey guys so I have this new computer that came with a cheap cpu cooler.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835203009

Link for anyone that wants to check.

The problem is it is making this really annoying whistling sound.

Here is a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL_2cpuPeW0&feature=youtu.be

Anyone know what I can do to reduce or get rid of this sound?

I can't get the video to start, but changing the fan would probably fix it. Honestly if it's a cheap cooler, replace the whole cooler with something better.

I can't get the video to start, but changing the fan would probably fix it. Honestly if it's a cheap cooler, replace the whole cooler with something better.

Yeah It's a cheap intel stock cooler that I got for about 10 bucks. I made the video public, can you check to see if you can watch it now?

Hey guys so I have this new computer that came with a cheap cpu cooler.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835203009

Link for anyone that wants to check.

The problem is it is making this really annoying whistling sound.

Here is a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL_2cpuPeW0&feature=youtu.be

Anyone know what I can do to reduce or get rid of this sound?

That's really just how it sounds. But you can try to set the fan speed in your bios to silent.

You should probably not stick your finger in there it could mess up the bearings and make the noise worse. If you want something really quiet you'll need to replace it.

That's really just how it sounds. But you can try to set the fan speed in your bios to silent.

You should probably not stick your finger in there it could mess up the bearings and make the noise worse. If you want something really quiet you'll need to replace it.

Yeah I won't do that again. I think I'll just learn to get over the constant whining noise.

spons

Gold Member
I currently have an i5-4590 3.3/3.7 GHz with 2x4 GB of DDR3 RAM and need a dedicated GPU. I'll be mostly emulating 6th gen and older - from what I've researched, it needs to be NVIDIA because of the support for OpenGL extensions that AMD just doesn't do.

I've got a budget of about 300 Dutch euros, so that puts me into 1060 6GB range. However, I feel this is overkill. Would a 1050 Ti work as well for emulation at n times native resolution? Or is the larger investment worth it for the long run when CEMU and RPCS3 get optimized? In that case, I'd need to get a second-hand Wii U for ripping, but that's something I'll defer to a later moment.

LordAlu

Working on a build for someone else hoping to get some feedback/revisions.

- Budget is $900
- Parts MUST to be color coordinated (example I have is red/black)
- Must include Windows, KB/M
- Wifi is a requirement (the example I have has it in the Mobo)
- He would like a new monitor to go with it but I feel like it would restrict the budget too much (He has an older/cheaper 1080p monitor already). But if it's possible to fit a newer one in (even just a regular 1080p monitor) that would be great
- Primary Goal is Gaming.

This is what I've come up with. Looking for feedback, help, or revision.
$7 over budget :(

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($65.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.90 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.58 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($28.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $905.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-22 03:15 EDT-0400
  • Bigger motherboard with more expansion options.
  • 8GB memory - more can always be added later, but the saving allows for other improvements elsewhere. Also it's red.
  • SSD, as really it is essential. It's also black and red :)
  • 1060 6GB in Black/Red. You could have the RX 580 4GB if you want to save money, although I'd take the extra VRAM (personally).
  • Nicer case, also black & red!
  • Incredible power supply for the cost thanks to a nice rebate.
  • WiFi as the board doesn't have it, plus you get Bluetooth too!

I mini splurged and got this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0186W6QG0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

seO4SrT.jpg

I couldn't live without a clickity clack keyboard anymore. I went 8 years without a mechanical keyboard and it finally drove me nuts using a shitty standard keyboard for all that time. It works wonderfully, and I can't stop with customizing my lighting configurations.

Honestly I've spent more time setting up lighting profiles than I have actually used it to play games.

Edit: I was gonna go with cherry mx red switches, but I needed a balance of sorts. These days, I probably spend more time typing than I do playing PC games.

kuYuri

I currently have an i5-4590 3.3/3.7 GHz with 2x4 GB of DDR3 RAM and need a dedicated GPU. I'll be mostly emulating 6th gen and older - from what I've researched, it needs to be NVIDIA because of the support for OpenGL extensions that AMD just doesn't do.

I've got a budget of about 300 Dutch euros, so that puts me into 1060 6GB range. However, I feel this is overkill. Would a 1050 Ti work as well for emulation at n times native resolution? Or is the larger investment worth it for the long run when CEMU and RPCS3 get optimized? In that case, I'd need to get a second-hand Wii U for ripping, but that's something I'll defer to a later moment.

Definitely, I've played emulators on significantly weaker hardware and still had a good experience. Getting the most powerful GPU that can fit your budget wouldn't hurt though.

spons

Gold Member
Definitely, I've played emulators on significantly weaker hardware and still had a good experience. Getting the most powerful GPU that can fit your budget wouldn't hurt though.

Thanks. You're right in that a lot of people use less powerful hardware, I've seen user reports on the PCSX2 wiki stating hardware and issues with specific games and many people run weaker stuff, for example a "CPU/GPU Intensive Game" like Gran Turismo 4 is actually playable on older AMD processors and 750 Ti cards according to test configurations.

You're right about budget stuff. I'll most probably buy the 1060 now and a second-hand Wii U (hopefully like the normal Wiis for next to nothing) later. The 1060 seems like the smarter choice in the long run for new emulators like CEMU.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
From the OP, what build and what kind of monitor combo do you guys reckon would make The Witcher 3 playable at the highest settings? Budget around 2.5k total.

red731

Hello guys and gals,

I am getting fairly frustrated while playing theHunter CotW and other games.

I eaither choose all bells and whistles graphic settings and lock to 30 via RivaTuner, or everything low to hit 60fps. (Anytime I see GPU usage at 99% I need to jump to seeting and lower something...addicted to this now)

Am fairly tired of these trade offs and need to update my GPU after 4 years.

My specs as follows - i7 3770k@4.4 OC, 16 GB RAM, 7970 GHz 3GB, SSD + HDD 7.2k

What would be the good GPU to buy now? I would wait for Vega or just grab anything.

Would love to step up the game from 1080 to 1440 and downsample to 1080 (monitor and TVs max for now - GPU should be future proof).

Any ideas as to which older car to buy or to wait and buy the top of the line?

Hello guys and gals,

I am getting fairly frustrated while playing theHunter CotW and other games.

I eaither choose all bells and whistles graphic settings and lock to 30 via RivaTuner, or everything low to hit 60fps. (Anytime I see GPU usage at 99% I need to jump to seeting and lower something...addicted to this now)

Am fairly tired of these trade offs and need to update my GPU after 4 years.

My specs as follows - i7 3770k@4.4 OC, 16 GB RAM, 7970 GHz 3GB, SSD + HDD 7.2k

What would be the good GPU to buy now? I would wait for Vega or just grab anything.

Would love to step up the game from 1080 to 1440 and downsample to 1080 (monitor and TVs max for now - GPU should be future proof).

Any ideas as to which older car to buy or to wait and buy the top of the line?

If you can't wait 2 more months, for Vega: if money is no object get a 1080ti. Under 400, 1070. If you don't mind buying used look for a 980ti or a Fury.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
From the OP, what build and what kind of monitor combo do you guys reckon would make The Witcher 3 playable at the highest settings? Budget around 2.5k total.

what resolution? do you mean absolute highest settings or would you not mind hairworks off?

if 1080/1440p and hairworks off then an i7-7700K + 1070 should be fine. you will be able to play at 1440p 60fps but with drops to about 50fps. if you want a solid 60fps throughout then 1080p will give you that. for this i'd go with "excellent - best overall" and you'll have plenty left over for a 1080/1440p monitor.

if you want 4K 60fps and hairworks off then your best bet is a 1080 Ti but you'll still get drops to about 50fps. you could still go with "excellent - best overall" and just go with a 1080 ti instead of upgrading stuff like motherboard, ram speed, psu, case, cpu cooler.

hairworks is really demanding and honestly not worth it. but if you want it then well i'd go for at least a 1070 at 1080p. maybe even a 1080 if you really want a solid 60fps. don't even think about 4k 60fps with hairworks on just yet. there is no PC powerful enough.

Filth

I will probably be putting my asus strix 1080 up for sale on monday granted my friend tells me his coworker is gonna pass on it if anyone is interested. Probably looking for 450 and i have all original packaging + lighly used

red731

If you can't wait 2 more months, for Vega: if money is no object get a 1080ti. Under 400, 1070. If you don't mind buying used look for a 980ti or a Fury.

Much appreciated. I was expecting Vega wait and I'll do that.
Depending on the performance vs money benches and such once it is out, I will make a choice.

Thank you CDE

Can someone recommend a pre-built desktop that can handle gaming w/o breaking the bank?

You've gotta give more details than that. Price range, what games you want to run and at what settings (1080p? 4K? 60 fps? Ultra or high or medium?), what country you live in... etc. Basically, the stuff that's asked in the OP. Also, why a pre-built rather than building your own or having someone else build it for you from parts you pick?

Weevilone

Sorry for my ignorance, but is this something to worry about? Should I get a replacement, put the lock back somehow, or do nothing?

I wouldn't be too worried about it, but you want to make sure your card is seated well. GPUs are heavy so these plus the screws on the case side keep things locked down. I've never looked to see if they could be removed/reattached.

Momentary

Banned
don't even think about 4k 60fps with hairworks on just yet. there is no PC powerful enough.

There is. Mine does it just fine on a single GPU. But $2.5K is not going to cut it for that kind of performance. I feel like the sweet spot for enthusiasts right now is 1440p@60fps.

4k@60 is too expensive on AAA titles.

Kyne

woot. Everything has been put together.

thanks again @Kadey for the spare Windows key.

In retrospect I wish I would have gone with the 1080ti.. but.. ah well. I should be set for a couple of years.

Top Bottom