• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

NEO0MJ

How crazy should I go picking the right ram? I got a Ryzen 1600 and an ASRock B350 board. Prices on compatible ram goes from $70/8GB (cdn) to $300/8GB. CL14, CL15, 2133, 2400, 3200... it's just intense.

Just give yourself a budget and pick a DDR4 type ram from any reputable brand such as Corsair or G.Skill. buy 2x4GB or if you have more money 2x8GB. When it comes to speed you can go with 2800 of you're willing spend more 3200. The lower the CL the better but you should be fine with 15/16.

How much are you willing to spend max?

J_Viper

hmm...
Do you know exactly how long ago the issue first started happening? From here there's just a few more things I can think of:

1. Let the pc run that suposition benchmark looping overnight (at least 6 hours) and see how it handles running it for a prolonged period of time.

2. If that doesn't crash then downgrade to the 2nd newest videocard driver to see if the issue still happens with mass effect and other games. If it does still happen then you can rule that out and switch back to the newest driver.

3. Also, don't forget to check the s.m.a.r.t. values for your ssd to make sure it's healthy. You can go to the device manager, click on "disk drives", and that should tell you what kind of ssd you have. Usually the manufacturer will provide a utility that makes it easy to see the s.m.a.r.t. values and drive health, for example, Samsung has the Samsung Magician utility and Intel has ssd Toolbox. Actually, I think Intel toolbox will even give the s.m.a.r.t. values for any kind of ssd or hdd: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26776/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox

4. Download OCCT: http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/download and then when you start it you should see what it's reporting for your power supply's 12v, 5v, and 3.3v rails like this:
bmf2ymo.png

I'd just want to know what numbers it reports to make sure the psu is running within spec. One thing you could also do is run the suposition benchmark in windowed mode and then leave this running too so that you can see what the power supply is doing under load in real time.

5. As a last-ditch effort, perhaps reinstalling windows and seeing if the issue still persists.

I very much appreciate the help. I'll run through those test as soon as I have the chance.

For what it's worth, I played Andromeda for an hour and a half this morning, and had no issues

It seems to be only Prey that's suffering from issues that I can't seem to fix. I also had a bunch of my saves get corrupted, losing about five hours of progress.

See this is why people stick to consoles lol

I'm looking for some advice on G-Sync monitors, sometime later this year I'm hoping to build a new PC and I'll have about £400-450 to spend on the monitor. The problem is that below the top of the line monitors I can't seem to find any consensus on what to go for, and a lot of potential problems being mentioned.

What I was hoping for is G-Sync (obviously), 24 inch, 2560x1440, 144hz, low input delay, no glossy screen and (if possible) the ability to turn the monitor vertical or horizontal. Also it would be really nice if it weren't one of those ugly red "extreeeeeme" ones. I had my eye on this Dell monitor which is on sale until the end of July (hence why I'm looking at buying the monitor before the PC), the stats looked really good for price but after doing usual checks for problems I saw people saying it was "unusable" because of banding, but then I searched to see if other monitors in that price range have banding and saw the same sorts of complaints so I just don't know any more. Probably should note I'm using a cheap 7 year old LG monitor so my baseline is pretty low.

sikkinixx

Would suggest aiming for at least 3200. Ryzen is big on high RAM speeds. Shouldn't be much more expensive than 3000 MHz too.

Just give yourself a budget and pick a DDR4 type ram from any reputable brand such as Corsair or G.Skill. buy 2x4GB or if you have more money 2x8GB. When it comes to speed you can go with 2800 of you're willing spend more 3200. The lower the CL the better but you should be fine with 15/16.

How much are you willing to spend max?

Thanks for the advice and the video. Looks like 3000 stuff is worth the little bit extra. I would hoping to spend the least I could since I've already blown over my budget by getting a 1600 over the 1500x and an 8gb rx580 instead of the rx570. But realistically looks like around $150 Canadian for a 16gb kit of decent stuff.

Any UKers willing to help on a build? I am trying to help a friend over there pick out parts for a new PC but I am in the US.

Looking to get the best bang for their buck while meeting the following requirements:

1. £1000 max. (£800 preferred)
2. Would like monitor included as well.
3. OS needs to be included in cost.
4. 2+ year life before needing upgrades.
5. Needs optical drive.

I was playing around on PCPartPicker with their UK site and the prices seem higher than here. Not sure if there's a better place to find prices for parts.

Any direction would help, thanks.

Hey guys, went for these things.

http://i.imgur.com/C6IaGjT.png

I just have a question, will I need extra cooling? The spreadsheet made me a bit confused, supposedly the cpu comes with the wraith spire LED cooler.

Thanks

If you don't intend to extensively overclock, it should be fine. Hell, even a mild overclock will be tolerable. But if you intend to try and push the system, it may be worth getting something a little beefier.

EL CUCO

Building my first PC here :)

Not looking for anything crazy, but something that can last me atleast 4 years while staying around $800-900. Question, is a i5-7500 and 1070 good enough? Originally was thinking 1060 6gb

Also, is 500w enough to power and would I need any additional cooling?

J_Viper

Welp, seems like my PC is toast

While I had Max Payne 3 paused, my mother stepped into my room, and somehow managed to tap the off switch on my power supply with her foot, which shut down my PC

This seems to have corrupted my SSD, because when I turn my PC on now, I have a "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" message.

I tried opening my bios and manually launch from the SSD, but no dice

Oh well, at least it's under warranty.

Welp, seems like my PC is toast

While I had Max Payne 3 paused, my mother stepped into my room, and somehow managed to tap the off switch on my power supply with her foot, which shut down my PC

This seems to have corrupted my SSD, because when I turn my PC on now, I have a "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" message.

I tried opening my bios and manually launch from the SSD, but no dice

Oh well, at least it's under warranty.

It's probably fine. Boot to a windows disk (or usb stick) and I think there's an option in there to repair the boot record. I can't remember what it's called exactly but it should be easy to find/look up.

J_Viper

It's probably fine. Boot to a windows disk (or usb stick) and I think there's an option in there to repair the boot record. I can't remember what it's called exactly but it should be easy to find/look up.

I would definitely try this, but I don't recall my pc coming with the Windows disc, as it was pre-installed : (

Or maybe it did and I lost it

Thanks though

Not looking for anything crazy, but something that can last me atleast 4 years while staying around $800-900. Question, is a i5-7500 and 1070 good enough? Originally was thinking 1060 6gb

My first build five years back was an i5-3570K and a 670, basically the generational equivalent. I was very happy with it. An upper-midrange build like that is a perfect jumping off point.

That config lasted me about three years until I got antsy and upgraded to a 980, but I could have stuck with the original GPU longer if I'd really wanted to.

Of course, now the sickness has gotten into me and I'm currently gathering the parts for an i7/1080ti build. If you're not careful this shit will consume your soul.
I have no regrets.

EDIT: 500w should be plenty as far as I know, but I'm no expert on wattage. Also, check out the CoolerMaster Hyper 212. It's the go-to aftermarket CPU cooler, especially for beginners. Relatively inexpensive and it does its job well.

1070 and 500w are fine. No additional cooling.

Jharp

Been an intel/nVidia user since I started building PC's in my teens, and I'm finally seriously considering an AMD laptop for low-mid tier gaming. I'd like it to be able to run modern stuff, but by no means do I need it to max anything out or even crank up anything really.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16834234538

Saw this laptop on sale at Newegg and thought it looked pretty good, but knowing next to nothing about AMD, I was wondering if you guys could give me a quick breakdown of the CPU and GPU. It's got a FX-9830P @ 3.0Ghz, and a Radeon RX 460 with 4GB of RAM. How would this setup compare to say an i7 @ 2.8GHZ and a GTX 1050 with 2GB of RAM. It sounds like the AMD system would blow it out of the water, but the intel system is noticeably more expensive, despite the same specs otherwise.

Conversely, I can go for this i5/GTX 950 system for under $600:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16834315926

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Almost certainly not. Those manufacturers get highly discounted OEM licenses that are tied to the hardware. Microsoft often has free OS upgrades within the launch years + 1 of new OS', but the OEM OS license is non-transferable. You can buy a new license on newegg or ebay etc. or upgrade a previous retail copy of Windows you bought if you still have that key.

What hardware is the license tied to? I just installed a new cpu, he'd, and psu in an old dell machine and reinstalled windows. Talked to an MS rep in chat and they sent a link to a windows 7 download. Either they sent a link for an oem version, or its tied to mobo/cpu, I guess? I'm wondering because I wanted to use this key for a new build in a month or so...

What hardware is the license tied to? I just installed a new cpu, he'd, and psu in an old dell machine and reinstalled windows. Talked to an MS rep in chat and they sent a link to a windows 7 download. Either they sent a link for an oem version, or its tied to mobo/cpu, I guess? I'm wondering because I wanted to use this key for a new build in a month or so...

Windows licenses are tied to the motherboard.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I reverted from the creators update and things seem more smooth for me. Was having issues with fans starting by itself and folders not moving where I want them. Just a coincidence that all those problems showed up after I updated.

selo

If you don't intend to extensively overclock, it should be fine. Hell, even a mild overclock will be tolerable. But if you intend to try and push the system, it may be worth getting something a little beefier.

I don't plan to overclock at the moment.

Been an intel/nVidia user since I started building PC's in my teens, and I'm finally seriously considering an AMD laptop for low-mid tier gaming. I'd like it to be able to run modern stuff, but by no means do I need it to max anything out or even crank up anything really.

Saw this laptop on sale at Newegg and thought it looked pretty good, but knowing next to nothing about AMD, I was wondering if you guys could give me a quick breakdown of the CPU and GPU. It's got a FX-9830P @ 3.0Ghz, and a Radeon RX 460 with 4GB of RAM. How would this setup compare to say an i7 @ 2.8GHZ and a GTX 1050 with 2GB of RAM. It sounds like the AMD system would blow it out of the water, but the intel system is noticeably more expensive, despite the same specs otherwise.

I would suspect that the GTX 1050 laptop would be the one blowing the AMD laptop out of the water, actually. The AMD laptop is not using Ryzen, but rather their previous junk, so I would expect that to be noticeably slower in both day to day and gaming tasks. The RX 460 is also not great (although, to be fair, neither is the GTX 1050). Overall, if you want a laptop to game on, I'd advise looking for a laptop with a better graphics card, but out of the three the GTX 1050 unit would be my pick.

I would suspect that the GTX 1050 laptop would be the one blowing the AMD laptop out of the water, actually. The AMD laptop is not using Ryzen, but rather their previous junk, so I would expect that to be noticeably slower in both day to day and gaming tasks. The RX 460 is also not great (although, to be fair, neither is the GTX 1050). Overall, if you want a laptop to game on, I'd advise looking for a laptop with a better graphics card, but out of the three the GTX 1050 unit would be my pick.

CPU comparisons are not as simple as their CPU speeds, and especially considering the FX series, it is indeed quite probable that the i7 beats it handily. The question here is: What's the i7? If it's 2.8 GHz it sounds like an older model, which is also kinda weird if it's paired with a GTX 1050.

Can someone please explain (or link in detail) how you can buy Windows 10 legally cheaper than me buying it from the shop @ £83?

I don't understand.

How can I buy Windows 10 Pro 64bit from www.amazon.co.uk @ £25 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010S3VVJW/)

or a usb version @ £17 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XKR74XS/)

when it I went to PC World it would cost @ £170?

I don't understand as these are being sold on Amazon so surely must be legal yet they are so much cheaper than going to a shop?

- How does this work?
- Are there more benefits to buying the shop bought version?
- Are there cons to buying any of these versions from Amazon?
- Will they work properly?
- What happens in the future if I needed to do a full day one re-install - will they work?

I've searched online and don't know who to trust so here I am on GAF - a place I trust :)!

Thanks guys & gals for any replies.

Can someone please explain (or link in detail) how you can buy Windows 10 legally cheaper than me buying it from the shop @ £83?

I don't understand.

How can I buy Windows 10 Pro 64bit from www.amazon.co.uk @ £25 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010S3VVJW/)

or a usb version @ £17 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XKR74XS/)

when it I went to PC World it would cost @ £170?

I don't understand as these are being sold on Amazon so surely must be legal yet they are so much cheaper than going to a shop?

- How does this work?
- Are there more benefits to buying the shop bought version?
- Are there cons to buying any of these versions from Amazon?
- Will they work properly?
- What happens in the future if I needed to do a full day one re-install - will they work?

I've searched online and don't know who to trust so here I am on GAF - a place I trust :)!

Thanks guys & gals for any replies.

Various factors. Most commonly, resellers who got keys in bulk (Amazon admittedly tends to be... not so great in telling you which are the genuine suppliers). With regards to PC World in particular, they charge some bad store space inflation. Their name is honestly something of a misnomer at this point, but 'TV and Headphone World' doesn't quite roll off the tongue the same way. Keys will almost certainly work, though sometimes you get unlucky and they're straight up pirated or fake. If you re-install after using a valid key, it should still work on your OS after you re-enter it. If not, call Microsoft directly.

EL CUCO

My first build five years back was an i5-3570K and a 670, basically the generational equivalent. I was very happy with it. An upper-midrange build like that is a perfect jumping off point.

That config lasted me about three years until I got antsy and upgraded to a 980, but I could have stuck with the original GPU longer if I'd really wanted to.

Of course, now the sickness has gotten into me and I'm currently gathering the parts for an i7/1080ti build. If you're not careful this shit will consume your soul.
I have no regrets.

EDIT: 500w should be plenty as far as I know, but I'm no expert on wattage. Also, check out the CoolerMaster Hyper 212. It's the go-to aftermarket CPU cooler, especially for beginners. Relatively inexpensive and it does its job well.
Thanks! I can definitely see how it can be consuming lol

1070 and 500w are fine. No additional cooling.
Great. Thanks!

Various factors. Most commonly, resellers who got keys in bulk (Amazon admittedly tends to be... not so great in telling you which are the genuine suppliers). With regards to PC World in particular, they charge some bad store space inflation. Their name is honestly something of a misnomer at this point, but 'TV and Headphone World' doesn't quite roll off the tongue the same way. Keys will almost certainly work, though sometimes you get unlucky and they're straight up pirated or fake. If you re-install after using a valid key, it should still work on your OS after you re-enter it. If not, call Microsoft directly.

Thanks.

So basically no difference what so ever as long as I get it to work.

Sounds insane I mean we're not talking a few quid here and there. **** me!

Thanks again. :)

Jharp

CPU comparisons are not as simple as their CPU speeds, and especially considering the FX series, it is indeed quite probable that the i7 beats it handily. The question here is: What's the i7? If it's 2.8 GHz it sounds like an older model, which is also kinda weird if it's paired with a GTX 1050.

On the 1050 system, the CPU is an Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz

Like I said, I'm not looking for something that can max out GTA5. I'd just like to be able to PLAY a game like GTA5 at $800 or less. Is that not feasible?

NEO0MJ

On the 1050 system, the CPU is an Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz

Like I said, I'm not looking for something that can max out GTA5. I'd just like to be able to PLAY a game like GTA5 at $800 or less. Is that not feasible?

I think it's possible, but give me some time to check.

How is a G4560 for running general computer tasks, word, some programs (quickbooks/sage), excel and browser tabs all at the same time compared to a FX8350 for example.

My train of thought is to put my money initially into a decent motherboard, ram, psu and upgrade to a much better cpu with cooling (i56600k & H100i) and (maybe/probably lol) a decent graphics card (1060?) several months down the line but want to build the pc now as my laptop is going on the blink.

Thanks for any help :)

How is a G4560 for running general computer tasks, word, some programs (quickbooks/sage), excel and browser tabs all at the same time compared to a FX8350 for example.

My train of thought is to put my money initially into a decent motherboard, ram, psu and upgrade to a much better cpu with cooling (i56600k & H100i) and (maybe/probably lol) a decent graphics card (1060?) several months down the line but want to build the pc now as my laptop is going on the blink.

Thanks for any help :)

If you're picking up a G4560, you'll want a 200 series motherboard, not a 100 series - that's for skylake and would need a BIOS update to run the G4560. Pick up one of the cheaper B250 motherboards if you're going that route.

An FX 8350 does have more cores by far, but unless you're doing stuff that heavily utilises such cores - like rendering, streaming, etc - then the G4560 certainly won't be a crippling step back. In some instances it may even perform better.

Otherwise, if the 8350 comparison is because you're considering AMD, then toss out the FX series entirely and consider Ryzen.

dcx4610

Thinking of upgrading my board, CPU and memory. Should I go ahead and go Kaby Lake or wait on Cannon Lake? Is it still expected this year?

If you're picking up a G4560, you'll want a 200 series motherboard, not a 100 series - that's for skylake and would need a BIOS update to run the G4560. Pick up one of the cheaper B250 motherboards if you're going that route.

An FX 8350 does have more cores by far, but unless you're doing stuff that heavily utilises such cores - like rendering, streaming, etc - then the G4560 certainly won't be a crippling step back. In some instances it may even perform better.

Otherwise, if the 8350 comparison is because you're considering AMD, then toss out the FX series entirely and consider Ryzen.

Yeah I understand (I think lol) all the skylake/bios so already had the following prepped as the motherboard Asus - STRIX Z270G Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard.

I know this is expensive but it ticks all my boxes (wifi, Bluetooth, 3.1) and sort of futureproof (as much as I can!).

So opening a shitload of tabs (will have 16gb ddr4 3000 ram), the g4560 won't be held back, whilst I work on Excel & Accounts Programs?

Cheers.

Yeah I understand (I think lol) all the skylake/bios so already had the following prepped as the motherboard Asus - STRIX Z270G Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard.

I know this is expensive but it ticks all my boxes (wifi, Bluetooth, 3.1) and sort of futureproof (as much as I can!).

So opening a shitload of tabs (will have 16gb ddr4 3000 ram), the g4560 won't be held back, whilst I work on Excel & Accounts Programs?

Cheers.

Depends on what you mean by 'shitload' really. I suspect it may be the case you shouldn't do that and game at the same time, but honestly if you hit its limit you could just learn to manage yourself before picking up an i5 or i7.

If Ryzen had a budget option out already it'd be perfect for you. But alas.

Depends on what you mean by 'shitload' really. I suspect it may be the case you shouldn't do that and game at the same time, but honestly if you hit its limit you could just learn to manage yourself before picking up an i5 or i7.

If Ryzen had a budget option out already it'd be perfect for you. But alas.

Agreed. Thanks again.

This is what my build looks like:-
£54 Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor
£173 Asus - STRIX Z270G Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
£121 Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
£87 Samsung - 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
(+ got @ 4TB standard hdd @ 7200rpm already)
£47 Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
£84 EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX PSU

--------
£566

+ Microsoft Windows 10, Keyboard, Mouse, ? Extra Fans

Jharp

Laptop, not a PC. Though thinking on it, we never were actually linked to it...

Jharp, is this the model you were referencing for the i7?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154495

Oh, I see. And he wasn't even looking for something that can max out GTA V. I really should have read the conversation more carefully.

Sorry, guys, not sure what I was thinking by not linking it. Here's the laptop I was looking at specifically. And yeah, like I said, just being able to play something like GTA5 at low-med settings would be fine, as a benchmark. I likely won't be playing GTA5 specifically, but that level of fidelity is what I'm aiming for.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154369

Sorry, guys, not sure what I was thinking by not linking it. Here's the laptop I was looking at specifically. And yeah, like I said, just being able to play something like GTA5 at low-med settings would be fine, as a benchmark. I likely won't be playing GTA5 specifically, but that level of fidelity is what I'm aiming for.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154369

Then if you've seen the video I linked, the card should indeed be capable of just that. The casing won't be quite as nice, but that is probably the best laptop you can get at that price point.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, it's a great price for something with those features. I actually saw it in person (though $260 more expensive) and recommended it to a friend.

Thanks for the advice and the video. Looks like 3000 stuff is worth the little bit extra. I would hoping to spend the least I could since I've already blown over my budget by getting a 1600 over the 1500x and an 8gb rx580 instead of the rx570. But realistically looks like around $150 Canadian for a 16gb kit of decent stuff.

I wonder what shipping is like from US -> Canada.

Because.....

With Vega now looking like its not coming out anytime soon I'm looking at upgrading my videocard now plus looking at other areas of improvement. I got a fury or $250 last year but I'm starting to feel the strain of only having 4 gbs of vram. I'm powering 2 1080 screens but I want the highest framerates and something more VR proof. Would a 1080 be more appropriate than a 1080 ti or is the brute strength of the ti worth the extra cash? Money isn't really an issue in regards to the videocard.

I'm also running a 6600k @ 4.3 1.275 vcore but I'm thinking of moving up to a 6700k as more games are using more than 4 threads now. Anyone agree/disagree? Is it also time to move up from 16 gbs of ram to 32?

I wonder what shipping is like from US -> Canada.

Because.....

Hopefully better than it's proven in the other direction thus far.

All this purchasing talk has me considering whether or not to pick up a new PC case. Current one is functional, but old (front IO panel has no USB 3 ports for example for example), and just kinda drab. Kinda want one with some colour to it (though not necessarily RGB), but a lot of the good ones I can find are kinda pricey. Any recommendations?

Top Bottom