• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2020. Ray Tracing. 120Hz-360Hz. Next-Gen Already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
On another note, on my personal AMD system I have been plagued with non-stop blue screens since my last reformat and updating drivers and such has not seemed to fix the issues.
NDU.sys is a common culprit and I am thinking that I should probably wipe my system and install everything from scratch. I have yet to find any solutions.
I have a Asus ROG Strix X570 with a 3900X
Before I do that, I am thinking I should install WIndows 10 without all of the ASUS motherboard software, and just download the chipset drivers, GPU drivers, LAN (from Intel's website) and audio drivers. Good idea? Bad idea? I have a Corsair water cooler and am thinking about removing all the iCUE software for that as well.

longdi

Banned
are you using corsair lpx ram or corsair ram in general.

corsair have serious ram compatibility issue with ryzen :messenger_face_screaming:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
are you using corsair lpx ram or corsair ram in general.

corsair have serious ram compatibility issue with ryzen :messenger_face_screaming:
Why yes. Corsair RAM has been in my PC for over a year and wasn't having these issues before. Not LPX mind you.

I am probably going to just wipe my PC and reinstall Windows and minimize the amount of extra apps.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Why yes. Corsair RAM has been in my PC for over a year and wasn't having these issues before. Not LPX mind you.

I am probably going to just wipe my PC and reinstall Windows and minimize the amount of extra apps.

Google for corsair ram issues with Ryzen.
You may want to switch to crucial if the reinstall dont work still.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before a thousand times, but:

If you were in the market for a new PC now, with no older hardware to be reused, and you could also wait a few months if needed, and AMD was not an option...

Would you wait for 11th gen Intel CPU (Rocket Lake, right?), or would you just go with the current 10th gen? Is waiting for 11th gen worth it?

onunnuno

Neo Member

If you were in the market for a new PC now, with no older hardware to be reused, and you could also wait a few months if needed, and AMD was not an option...

Would you wait for 11th gen Intel CPU (Rocket Lake, right?), or would you just go with the current 10th gen? Is waiting for 11th gen worth it?

If AMD is not a choice, just buy the 10th gen

ZywyPL

Banned

Tough call, Rocket Lake is yet to be released for laptops, and who knows when it'll launch on PCs, but so far all the leaks for mobile platform look very promising, so I'm torn between waiting and looking at 9900K/10700K :/ Not to mention Zen3 is suppose to launch this year, and who knows what this one will bring to the table.

HeLurks

Banned
On another note, on my personal AMD system I have been plagued with non-stop blue screens since my last reformat and updating drivers and such has not seemed to fix the issues.
NDU.sys is a common culprit and I am thinking that I should probably wipe my system and install everything from scratch. I have yet to find any solutions.
I have a Asus ROG Strix X570 with a 3900X
Before I do that, I am thinking I should install WIndows 10 without all of the ASUS motherboard software, and just download the chipset drivers, GPU drivers, LAN (from Intel's website) and audio drivers. Good idea? Bad idea? I have a Corsair water cooler and am thinking about removing all the iCUE software for that as well.

Try running your RAM at minimum speeds. e.g. 2133 MT/s via the BIOS. See if that helps. If it helps, get a better RAM-Kit that properly runs with your Board/CPU. Also had random bluescreens with my AMD-system and the RAM was the culprit. Got a cheat patriot-kit and voila!

ZywyPL

Banned

Some new info from today:

If it's really coming at the end of 2020/early 2021, I'd wait, especially than Ampere and RDNA2 GPUs aren't there yet either.

Some new info from today:

If it's really coming at the end of 2020/early 2021, I'd wait, especially than Ampere and RDNA2 GPUs aren't there yet either.

Yup, thats my plan. Can't wait. Think Ill hold off on Series X unless they pull off a miracle 180. Getting a PS5 and a new Gaming PC with Ampere at Holiday. Will pair nicely with my new OLED.

ZZZZ

We should be getting news in August for Nvidia new graphics cards, i'm so hyped.
Hopefully the prices are lower this time because of the new generation of consoles.

Madflavor

So I'm currently doing some side jobs to save up money for a new PC and Monitor in time for Cyberpunk. What do you guys think of this monitor?

I was looking at some of the high end curved monitors, because curved is very appealing to me, but they look to be around $800 - $1000 for a really good one, and that's just out of my price range, considering my new PC I'm aiming for will probably ballpark between $1200 - $1500

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So I'm currently doing some side jobs to save up money for a new PC and Monitor in time for Cyberpunk. What do you guys think of this monitor?

I was looking at some of the high end curved monitors, because curved is very appealing to me, but they look to be around $800 - $1000 for a really good one, and that's just out of my price range, considering my new PC I'm aiming for will probably ballpark between $1200 - $1500
Monitor is outstanding, but at this point if you're gonna drop big $$$ on a monitor, why not wait until they get HDMI 2.1 support which will be more future proof.

TheContact

Been using this for a couple weeks and I'm really impressed with it. (Acer Predator Helios 300)

There are some downsides (plastic chasis, meh viewing angles) but for the price, the value is very good.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Monitor is outstanding, but at this point if you're gonna drop big $$$ on a monitor, why not wait until they get HDMI 2.1 support which will be more future proof.

Well the big reason I'm getting a new PC setup is because of CP77. It's the game I've been most anticipated for in the last 5 years. So I've been aiming to get all this before the game drops in November.

Last edited:
Question, possibly dumb question:

I have a 2nd, older pc laying around that I want to upgrade the video card on. It has a I5-4400 in it.

Can I pair it with a 9th gen video card, or will that older I5 bottleneck it? In other words, would it not make sense to upgrade the card past a certain point?

KTT

Looking for a new GPU, currently have an R7 265. Looking to play games like Rainbow Six Siege. Budget is about $150... Is it realistic? What's the best price:performance card I can get that will let me play the next 3 years of games at a respectable frame rate?

Thanks fam

Leonidas

Looking for a new GPU, currently have an R7 265. Looking to play games like Rainbow Six Siege. Budget is about $150... Is it realistic? What's the best price:performance card I can get that will let me play the next 3 years of games at a respectable frame rate?

Thanks fam

1650 Super is a good choice in that price range. Slightly over $150. A few models are in the $155-$160 range on Newegg right now.

Leonidas

Question, possibly dumb question:

I have a 2nd, older pc laying around that I want to upgrade the video card on. It has a I5-4400 in it.

Can I pair it with a 9th gen video card, or will that older I5 bottleneck it? In other words, would it not make sense to upgrade the card past a certain point?

I assume you mean Nvidia 900 series? Nothing wrong with that.

The i5 will become a bottleneck in newer games, but if you stick to current gen or older games, games that don't really use that many cores, you'll be fine.

baphomet

Started buying parts for my new build. Will be waiting on Zen 3 (4900x) and Ampere (3080ti/3090), but will be slowly piecing everything together until then.

Gonna be hard not to just grab a 3900xt and 2080ti, but waiting will be worth it. Plus my current build still holds up pretty well so it's not like I can't still play stuff currently.

Xander3116

So i've been thinking about getting a gaming pc but i don't know much about all this and i don't really know where to start any recommendations? my budget would be about 1500.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Thanks fam
I was going to say RX 580 is good choice and I was surprised to see that they're going up in price over the past year. Just checked Ethereum and it's at $414...damn. Here we go again.

I used to have the R7 265. IIRC it was a 7850 2GB rebranded with higher clock speeds. Good card. I recently built my kids piecemeal gaming rigs around used RX 470 4GB mining cards I got for about $80 each. The Sapphire RX 470 Nitro+ hit 13K graphics score in Fire Strike which is right up there with GTX 1060 and RX 480. Simply had to use ATIFlash to switch the BIOS back from mining to gaming. The MSI Armor cards had typical outputs, while the Sapphire Nitro was DVI-only. Just an option to consider.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So my colleague is having my replace his Asrock Z490M with the much better MSI Tomahawl Z490. Would I need to reinstall Windows 10 since its the same chipset and no motherboard software has been installed.

Ascend

So my colleague is having my replace his Asrock Z490M with the much better MSI Tomahawl Z490. Would I need to reinstall Windows 10 since its the same chipset and no motherboard software has been installed.
Probably not. I went from AM3+ to AM4 with no issues. But it's always a good idea to create backups beforehand.

Thanks fam

Not sure how long you plan on waiting but I'm ordering a 2080 Super for the wifes computer soon here and will be flipping the RTX 2060 she has in there right now lol

kiphalfton

Ordering it now when 3080 is just around thr corner?

Prices are absolutely ridiculous right now. Turing graphics cards are still flying off the shelf at full retail price. I check reddit buildapcsales on a fairly regular basis and I see people going crazy over $500 RTX 2070 Super FE graphics cards. Although not nearly as bad as the crypto surge 3 years ago, it's still pretty bad. Nvidia must be feeling pretty good right now, as they have barely discounted their Super series graphics cards since release. Nvidia doesn't really have any incentive to price Ampere competitively, as they will be sell out easily given the current trends.

However, I could be wrong as the GTX 1070 Ti (which was slotted in the same place bracket as a 2070 Super is) was selling for $450+ right up until the end too, before Turing was released.

Last edited:

Kazza

Prices are absolutely ridiculous right now. Turing graphics cards are still flying off the shelf at full retail price. I check reddit buildapcsales on a fairly regular basis and I see people going crazy over $500 RTX 2070 Super FE graphics cards. Although not nearly as bad as the crypto surge 3 years ago, it's still pretty bad. Nvidia must be feeling pretty good right now, as they have barely discounted their Super series graphics cards since release. Nvidia doesn't really have any incentive to price Ampere competitively, as they will be sell out easily given the current trends.

However, I could be wrong as the GTX 1070 Ti (which was slotted in the same place bracket as a 2070 Super is) was selling for $450+ right up until the end too, before Turing was released.

On the other hand, that is good for people who want to upgrade their GPU every two years - they pretty much get all their money back (so long as they are willing to sell a little before the new cards come out. The 2000 series should go down in price once that happens.

Has anyone here dealt with the German site dubaro.de? I've heard good things about them on another forum, and the prices for their pre-built PCs seem alright-ish, I'd just like to have a more "expert" eye (that means you guys :messenger_blowing_kiss: ) look at their deals...

FireFly

Looks like Nvidia will be launching first again,

Still no official announcements, but given current info from reputable sources it's looking like

Ampere expected in September
RDNA2 expected in November

Looks like Nvidia will have even more time uncontested at the high end, bar charts at Ampere launch could be 7-8 Nvidia cards at the top.
I think that's good for AMD since they will know what to expect and will price their cards accordingly.

GreatnessRD

Excited for Big Navi, but it seems to be unsettling that board partners haven't received any info on the PCB and sauce yet. Hope we see Ampere official news within the next two weeks.

kiphalfton

On the other hand, that is good for people who want to upgrade their GPU every two years - they pretty much get all their money back (so long as they are willing to sell a little before the new cards come out. The 2000 series should go down in price once that happens.

I sold my GTX 1070 Ti for $300 a couple months ago. So yeah, I agree.

Nvidia's prices are high, but like Intel CPU's, you get a chunk of that back when you sell it. One of the reasons I'll stick with Nvidia/Intel, is resale value is good even several years later.

jigglet

Banned
I sold my GTX 1070 Ti for $300 a couple months ago. So yeah, I agree.

Nvidia's prices are high, but like Intel CPU's, you get a chunk of that back when you sell it. One of the reasons I'll stick with Nvidia/Intel, is resale value is good even several years later.

I've never sold a CPU before, I assumed there wouldn't be much of a market for it. Safe to assume people generally sell it with the MB at the same time? I can't imagine the anxiety I'd feel just shipping off just the chip itself and hoping the pins don't get bent in postage.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I've never sold a CPU before, I assumed there wouldn't be much of a market for it. Safe to assume people generally sell it with the MB at the same time? I can't imagine the anxiety I'd feel just shipping off just the chip itself and hoping the pins don't get bent in postage.

Intel doesn't have pins, which is the nice thing. But yeah, generally I see most people selling Mobo and CPU together (I mean unless they're upgrading within the same generation, the Mobo becomes useless otherwise).

I generally just sell the whole system, and don't piece it out (besides maybe selling the GPU by itself, but even then that's only part of the time since most people don't want to buy a system without a dedicated graphics card). I also try to sell locally, to avoid shipping costs and eBay fees.

Fortunately the area I'm in it's pretty easy to sell stuff. If your local second hand market is crap, and/or there's no demand for it where you lice, you're not going to get very far obviously.

jigglet

Banned
Intel doesn't have pins, which is the nice thing. But yeah, generally I see most people selling Mobo and CPU together (I mean unless they're upgrading within the same generation, the Mobo becomes useless otherwise).

I generally just sell the whole system, and don't piece it out (besides maybe selling the GPU by itself, but even then that's only part of the time since most people don't want to buy a system without a dedicated graphics card). I also try to sell locally, to avoid shipping costs and eBay fees.

Fortunately the area I'm in it's pretty easy to sell stuff. If your local second hand market is crap, and/or there's no demand for it where you lice, you're not going to get very far obviously.

I'm thinking of selling my whole rig, thanks for that!

Rbk_3

There is a good market if you have a higher end intel CPU given they are constantly changing their sockets. Often people with say an 8600k want to upgrade without having to buy a new platform so a 9900k will be a pretty hot commodity for several years.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I'm thinking of selling my whole rig, thanks for that!

I usually just look on Pcpartpicker for the newest generation CPU and GPU that is roughly on par with my CPU and GPU - say for instance I have an i7-8700 which I want to say is about on par with the i5-10500F and a GTX 970 that is about on par with a GTX 1650 Super - and then just choose the cheapest components that match the specs of my RAM, PSU, Storage, etc. Then I just price my computer the same as the tallied up build list price on Pcpartpicker. Since the components I bought in my computer are higher quality than mock up build I put together in Pcpartpicker, I think that's a good baseline for pricing. I may have a Samsung Evo 250gb SSD, but for my Pcpartpicker mock up I choose the cheapest 250gb SSD, or I may have a 3200 Hz low CAS latency RAM but choose the cheapest 3200 Hz RAM, etc. etc. That way if somebody tries to spec my computer out on Pcpartpicker themselves, I can tell them they're not going to be able to build a similar quality computer for the same amount I'm selling mine (which is true).

Last edited:

Kenpachii

970 gtx is one of those cards that had such good value, released in 2014 and still going strong in 2020.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So I exchanged my Asrock z490 for an MSI z490 and I was told that I could move the M2 drive from one system over without having to do a clean install.
Well we got the motherboard installed, the M2 drive shows up in the MSI BIOS, is set to UEFI mode, but it wont boot to windows, it just kicks us back to the BIOS. The drive also shows up in diskpart when booting from a windows 10 install disc and yes I do select it to boot from that drive. I tried to do a repair install but that won’t work.

I’m gathering it might have to do with the drive being set as MBR or GPT.

any ideas? Don’t want to do a clean install?

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Still no official announcements, but given current info from reputable sources it's looking like

Looks like Nvidia will have even more time uncontested at the high end, bar charts at Ampere launch could be 7-8 Nvidia cards at the top.

This is my first new GPU launch since building my first gaming PC last fall. Do they release all of the different cards at once or stagger them?

I want the 3080ti is why I'm asking (currently have 2070 super).

Celcius

°Temp. member
This is my first new GPU launch since building my first gaming PC last fall. Do they release all of the different cards at once or stagger them?

I want the 3080ti is why I'm asking (currently have 2070 super).
Sometimes the X080 and X070 launch first
Sometimes the X080 Ti, X080, and X070 launch first
Sometimes the Titan launches first

It's hard to say, but I'd guess scenario #2 above being the case

Ascend

V2Tommy

So I exchanged my Asrock z490 for an MSI z490 and I was told that I could move the M2 drive from one system over without having to do a clean install.
Well we got the motherboard installed, the M2 drive shows up in the MSI BIOS, is set to UEFI mode, but it wont boot to windows, it just kicks us back to the BIOS. The drive also shows up in diskpart when booting from a windows 10 install disc and yes I do select it to boot from that drive. I tried to do a repair install but that won’t work.

I’m gathering it might have to do with the drive being set as MBR or GPT.

any ideas? Don’t want to do a clean install?

Try disabling SecureBoot, or swapping between BIOS and UEFI bootability.

GenericUser

I'm thinking about building a new PC. How far away are RDNA2 graphics cards from hitting the mainstream market? I thought about using a Radeon RX 5700 XT card, but if new cards arrive in 3 or 4 month, that wouldn't make much sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom