• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2021. Sold Out Edition.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
for stability run heaven on loop.
For how much time? I ran it once (all 26 instances) and gave me a score of 2700 points, with an average of 108fps with everything maxed out at 1440p. Hope those are good results. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Btw, this is my first time with an adaptative g-sync monitor and wow man, I didn't notice any dips or anything and the frames where oscilating a lot. Pretty cool.

I've also been playing DOOM Eternal. Maxed out, 1440p and 144hz, felt like being in heaven and hell at the same time. :messenger_savoring:

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
When idle, my 5600x doesnt ever downclock below 2.2GHz (2196MHz to be precise), even in power saver mode. Can anyone explain why and how can I reduce that?
Are you running a multi monitor setup?

I had this same issue albeit with both the cpu and GPU. I run two monitors, a tv and an HMD. I fixed it simply by halving the refresh rate of my secondary monitor from 100hz down to 50hz in Windows Advanced Display Settings. Not ideal but that monitor is only used for system info, web browser, Steam and discord anyways.

Having two high refresh rate monitors doesn't play nice I guess.

GreatnessRD

Question for anyone who has an RX 6800 or 6800 XT

I'm currently on a 3060 Ti, but I originally wanted a 6800/3070. Now I think I'm going to go ahead and try for the GPU I really wanted, like the 6800 (Maybe XT, c'mon AMD direct!) Anyway, the question I had was if you any of you own an MSI motherboard with the 6000 series, has dragon center hijacked the AMD Wattman software to control the GPU? This damned dragon center is the bane of my existence and I can't control the 60 Ti like I want. I have RGB that I gotta use dragon center for, so I isn't as simple as just uninstall Dragon Center. Thanks for the help.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Are you running a multi monitor setup?

I had this same issue albeit with both the cpu and GPU. I run two monitors, a tv and an HMD. I fixed it simply by halving the refresh rate of my secondary monitor from 100hz down to 50hz in Windows Advanced Display Settings. Not ideal but that monitor is only used for system info, web browser, Steam and discord anyways.

Having two high refresh rate monitors doesn't play nice I guess.

I dont have a multi-monitor setup but the PC is connected to a 120Hz 4k OLED. Maybe that's causing the issue? Although the card (a 3080) downclocks just fine to absolute bare minimum. Its only the processor which gets stuck at 2.2GHz.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I dont have a multi-monitor setup but the PC is connected to a 120Hz 4k OLED. Maybe that's causing the issue? Although the card (a 3080) downclocks just fine to absolute bare minimum. Its only the processor which gets stuck at 2.2GHz.
Weird man. I mean try setting the tv to 60hz and see if that helps but it sounds like separate issues now. Just trying to help.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
disconnect from the internet , just try it

Yeah, I personally wouldn't go for anything below 8C/16T for gaming now since consoles have 8C/16T. I'm not saying 5600X is a bad choice or anything, it should be much, much faster than consoles as long as games aren't utilizing over 12 threads.
I think that's right, I reckon devs will not target any single thread performance that's beyond a CPU from a while ago, I reckon Haskell single thread performance more than sufficient. The real issue will be multithreading performance. Just a hunch.

I have a 3900x and am thinking about upgrading to a 5900x to go with a 3080 FE that I already have. I also am currently using a Meshify C case and a Noctua Cooler on the 3900x.

My office where my PC is a large room but I share it with my girlfriend so taking into account two PCs, several monitors, and two 3d printers, the ambient temperature in the room is higher than the rest of the house.

I'm generally happy with the Meshify C, but I think cooling could be better (2 fans front Pull, 2 top Push, 1 back Push) so I'm not really sure if I should upgrade the case and go to a larger, full ATX tower or maybe switch to a AIO cooling solution. Thoughts? What's the best AIO that will fit in a Meshify C, assuming I keep that case?

If I upgraded my case I'd probably go with the Meshify S2, which opens up a ton of possibilities for fans and a AIO.

What are my options for large format displays (43 inch and up) that support 4k/120hz, look decent, and have really nice HDR implementation, that won't break the bank?

I'm not limited to just dedicated PC monitors either, I'd be fine with a TV if it got the job done. Currently looking at the TCL 6 series or Hisense equivalent.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
help help.
ROUTER QUESTION -RED ALARM, WORST TYPE OF QUESTION ON THE INTERNET - WHAT ROUTER SHOULD I GET

Anyway... my tp link c7 is a piece of garbage. It cannot even do WIRED 600mbit connection. when I connect directly to a modem of friend came over with his supe expensive linkssys, I had 600mbit+ easily. With my c7, it's slowing down to like 350mbit after few days. It's cpu gets overwhelmed super fast. It's 800mhz 1 core after all.
So I might just as well get wifi6 router since ps5 supports it and maybe I will get quest 2 (quest 1 virtual desktop ran badly on my c7).

I think I've narrowed it down to 4 cores, 512mb ram wifi routers... so about 130usd. There is Asus rt-ax56u for example. Anyone can comment on it ?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I’ve got a Ryzen 9 5900X / 10 gig 3080 build on order probably not going to get here within the next 2 or 3 weeks. I’m now in what monitor do I get territory.

I don’t want 4K, I’m happy with 1440P. I don’t need 240Hz I am happy with up to 144Hz. Hovering around the 32 inch bracket and I don’t want a curved screen. There’s so many choices. I have a couple in mind, they are:

ROG Strix X632VQ : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...52yZue5Kq34z1duwhwIUG5Yejl7fTkwxoCZJkQAvD_BwE

AOC AGON AG322QC4 : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...hI5e4zoDvrE-1jieoaMW76tLFFoOCrkxoCEk0QAvD_BwE

But it’s a minefield. Anyone recommend either of those or have a better suggestion?

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
help help.
ROUTER QUESTION -RED ALARM, WORST TYPE OF QUESTION ON THE INTERNET - WHAT ROUTER SHOULD I GET

Anyway... my tp link c7 is a piece of garbage. It cannot even do WIRED 600mbit connection. when I connect directly to a modem of friend came over with his supe expensive linkssys, I had 600mbit+ easily. With my c7, it's slowing down to like 350mbit after few days. It's cpu gets overwhelmed super fast. It's 800mhz 1 core after all.
So I might just as well get wifi6 router since ps5 supports it and maybe I will get quest 2 (quest 1 virtual desktop ran badly on my c7).

I think I've narrowed it down to 4 cores, 512mb ram wifi routers... so about 130usd. There is Asus rt-ax56u for example. Anyone can comment on it ?

I am def a fan of Asus routers. I had the AC 68 and I recently upgraded to the AX88U. Although out of your budget it is amazing. Never had to reset it once since installing it and it gives amazing coverage in my apartment where previously I had some deadzones in the corners away from the modem and behind some concrete walls.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am def a fan of Asus routers. I had the AC 68 and I recently upgraded to the AX88U. Although out of your budget it is amazing. Never had to reset it once since installing it and it gives amazing coverage in my apartment where previously I had some deadzones in the corners away from the modem and behind some concrete walls.
nice to hear. I am researching since yesterday and Asus is leading the research. Right now I am trying to decide ax56u vs ax58u. I am not sure if 58 iw worth 50usd more for me as it's onlt a small ~50 m sq flat. ax88u looks great but is indeed out of my budget for a router.
I also see that ax86u is the cheapest model with more than 1gbit ethernet for some futureproofing... but I am not sure if it's worth futureproofing yet
edit: super weird. ax86u has 2,5gb wan but still 1gb lans.... so what's the fucking point if my pc would still be limited.
Ah f it. since I have small flat and 600mbit, 56u is probably right chocie

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
I’ve got a Ryzen 9 5900X / 10 gig 3080 build on order probably not going to get here within the next 2 or 3 weeks. I’m now in what monitor do I get territory.

I don’t want 4K, I’m happy with 1440P. I don’t need 240Hz I am happy with up to 144Hz. Hovering around the 32 inch bracket and I don’t want a curved screen. There’s so many choices. I have a couple in mind, they are:

ROG Strix X632VQ : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...52yZue5Kq34z1duwhwIUG5Yejl7fTkwxoCZJkQAvD_BwE

AOC AGON AG322QC4 : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...hI5e4zoDvrE-1jieoaMW76tLFFoOCrkxoCEk0QAvD_BwE

But it’s a minefield. Anyone recommend either of those or have a better suggestion?
Rog strix

Nitty_Grimes

Thanks mate. Although me saying don’t want curved and the bloody Strix is curved. Oh well if it’s going out be curved after all what would you choose out of that or the Samsung Odyssey G7?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Curved is pretty amazing. I own two curved ultra wides and probably won't go back to flat.

I didn't think I'd like them until I saw one in person at a store.

Just my two cents though.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Would you recommend the G7?

There’s plenty of YouTube vids but you don’t know half the time who your watching or if Samsung have sent it to an influencer etc I would rather have comments or opinions from people in the field.

Thomish

Hi GAFers, I have a quick question. I have a budget between £500-1000, and was wondering whether anyone knew of any good pre built PCs that would be worth getting in this range?.Based in the UK. Any help would be great.

Also open to looking for a custom build. This is for one of my younger siblings who wants to get into PC gaming (he usually just plays games like Fortnite and COD and wants good input latency, and frames).

Last edited:

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I have a 5900X and 3080 build. I went with an LG 38GN950.

Nitty_Grimes

Friends what do you recommend / use for your pc speakers? Ideally I want to run it for the little green connector on the back of the computer into the speaker that way. Don’t need wireless or Bluetooth. Solely gonna be for the computer - listening to my legit mp3s and music from my games.

I have a budget of around £60 queen sheets although I could go to £80 green queens for the right set up - don’t laugh me out of the room.

I don’t need MASSIVE BASSSSSSS but wouldn’t mind a bit so that it doesn’t sound like I am pissing into a tin can.

Thank you.

Xander3116

I built my first ever pc in august last year, i've always wanted to try pc gaming,

X570p motherboard
16 gb 3200 mhz ram g skill
1 Tb Nvme
Ryzen 5 3600x
sapphire rx 5700 xt
700 Gigabyte psu

How did i do? i mean i didn't know much about doing this, looked up a couple of articles and saw a few videos on youtube.

I built my first ever pc in august last year, i've always wanted to try pc gaming,

X570p motherboard
1 Tb Nvme
Ryzen 5 3600x
sapphire rx 5700 xt
700 Gigabyte psu

How did i do? i mean i didn't know much about doing this, looked up a couple of articles and saw a few videos on youtube.
It's a good build and I wouldn't be upset about it at all. 5700XT is a great 1080/1440 card and can hit pretty good framerates in 2160 as well depending on the game. 5700XT was amazing value at MSRP of the time.

What resolution do you play at?

Last edited:

Xander3116

It's a good build and I wouldn't be upset about it at all. 5700XT is a great 1080/1440 card and can hit pretty good framerates in 2160 as well depending on the game. 5700XT was amazing value at MSRP of the time.

What resolution do you play at?
I play mostly on 1440p for better frame rates although some games like cyberpunk i play at 1080 to get between 50-60fps, with that specific game playing in 1440p gets me between 30-40 fps.

Kenpachii

X570p motherboard
1 Tb Nvme
Ryzen 5 3600x
sapphire rx 5700 xt
700 Gigabyte psu

Good build, for 1440p u could look into a faster gpu at some point tho its kinda hard to render.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hi! I have a few PC related questions, so please bear with me. :lollipop_content:

I'm looking into buying a new TV, and I have my eyes on the LG OLED55CX. Thing is, this TV is 4K, but with my 3070 I have the feeling that the best performance/resolution spot is playing at 1440p. My question is: if I plug the PC to the TV, output the game resolution at 1440p and display it on a 4K TV... will it looked blurry or weird? Or will it upscale nicely in some way. Sorry if it's a silly question, but I'm a totally illiterate on those subjects.

My other question is if any you guys use a wireless Xbox controller via wi-fi, and if you are able to plug your headphones to the controller. Does it work without issues? How is the sound quality?

Many thanks.

TriSuit666

Banned

X570p motherboard
1 Tb Nvme
Ryzen 5 3600x
sapphire rx 5700 xt
700 Gigabyte psu

You're fine, nice setup with room for expandability as your wallet allows.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
DGrayson DGrayson
Ordered Asus rt-ax56u. The 58u was tempting but 160mhz is pretty much useless from what everyone says so saved 50 usd.
just chiming in with my own experience....i too had a TP link router. it was garbage. within a few months it started randomly rebooting. at first i didn't think anything of it and eventually it started to annoy me. i spent a while trying to troubleshoot it but couldn't figure it out so decided to replace it. only had it for about a year.

at first i went with the Asus AC68U but didn't even bother collecting it when it was delivered. had decided i was happy to spend a bit more on something that'd last longer in terms of both specs + support and have similar or better quality. i ended up going for the AX86U. the AC68U cost £160 and the AX86U cost £230. for comparison the TP Link i had cost £50 and up until i bought that i only used the router my ISP gave me. so paying £230 for a router felt crazy.

the first week of owning it was rough as my internet would constantly cut out but it turned out it was just one of default settings wasn't agreeing with my modem and it was meant to be set to something else. once i changed that then i was good. well, there were a couple random crashes in the first month but there has been a few firmware updates since and my router has been rock solid for the last 4 months.

the software on this router is a million times better than what the TP link had. to be honest a lot of it have no idea what it does and don't want to change anything but there's just way more features and control over your network. i'm really happy with the router and hope you have a good experience with yours too :)

Last edited:

Yerd

Hi! I have a few PC related questions, so please bear with me. :lollipop_content:

I'm looking into buying a new TV, and I have my eyes on the LG OLED55CX. Thing is, this TV is 4K, but with my 3070 I have the feeling that the best performance/resolution spot is playing at 1440p. My question is: if I plug the PC to the TV, output the game resolution at 1440p and display it on a 4K TV... will it looked blurry or weird? Or will it upscale nicely in some way. Sorry if it's a silly question, but I'm a totally illiterate on those subjects.

My other question is if any you guys use a wireless Xbox controller via wi-fi, and if you are able to plug your headphones to the controller. Does it work without issues? How is the sound quality?

Many thanks.
It's not blurry, the problem is aspect ratio. 1440p is considered 16:10 where 1080p is 16:9. The TV will be a 16:9 aspect ratio, so you want to choose a resolution that matches. It's easier to fit the screen with a 16:9 resolution.

TintoConCasera

It's not blurry, the problem is aspect ratio. 1440p is considered 16:10 where 1080p is 16:9. The TV will be a 16:9 aspect ratio, so you want to choose a resolution that matches. It's easier to fit the screen with a 16:9 resolution.
Nice! I wouldn't mind playing at 1080p as long as it´s upscaled correctly, so I guess I will be fine with a 4K tv then. Many thanks!

dave_d

standard 1440p is 2560x1440 or 16:9 though.
I guess if someone wanted to simulate 1440p on a 4k screen they could try 720p on a 1080p screen. (Since 1440p is 4X 720p and 4k is 4X 1080p) It's weird to think back in the day there was always the discussion of what's better, 720p60hz or 1080i60 or 1080p30hz which is similar to the 1440p144hz vs 4k60hz discussion)

Last edited:

Yerd

standard 1440p is 2560x1440 or 16:9 though.
Yeah, you're right, I was thinking 1200p or 1600p. 1440p just happens to matches up to 16:9 resolution, then. Still it's not blurry, it will just not always conform to your TV if you choose a resolution that doesn't fit.

Xdrive05

Any hope in sight that we'll be getting out of scarcity hell any time soon? Anything at all on the horizon?

Last edited:
One thing i never touch is memory timings. fuck that shit. Unstable memory is the worst

I understand your sentiment, but I won't say I'll never mess with the timings. One day, I might strike up the courage to use the Ryzen dram calculator and see what the fun is all about.
Beyond benchmarks or the satisfaction of getting every last bit out perf of a given part...are the real world benefits ever worth the effort of memory timing tinkering?

Rengoku

Finally got my console-sized PC build complete. Been looking for the final piece (5900x) for over a month or so. Got really lucky last week and found a 5900x in stock about 2.5 hrs drive away.

Haven't built a pc in about 5 yrs, so was pretty rusty, and ran into Qflash problems in the beginning with the Gigabyte motherboard. Thankfully, turns out the motherboard already had a newer firmware bios, and was able to pick up the 5900x right away.

GoxTiK9.jpg

QhqCeEz.jpg

woapupo.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
nice let us know how it goes.
and kraspkibble kraspkibble

I've got the Asus RT-ax56u today. Opted out of 58u since it's 50usd more for 2 more antenas and 160mhz support which seems useless in my flat.
Wired, on tp link c7 v5, I've had 60-65 steam MB(real megabytes which steam shows) speeds after fresh restart... 400mbit after few days max or even less.
On this one it's 70+ Usually ~73 and with higher peaks. So that's great already.
Let's see if it holds for few days and if it boggles down like tp link did.

On wireless, 5ghz is giving me 450mbits on speedtest on oneplus 7t.
Range seems fine. Not dropping anywhere. Full signal bathroom test passed so far.

Ps5 is shit. It's settings internet test says 200-260mbit even though it is 5ghz and full signal (same room as router).
Probably PSN is just crap as usual. Will test more later.
But there seems to be no indication if ps5 is using the famous wifi 6 or not...

Seems good so far. half of 512mb memory is free (tp link had 128 total), Cpu is almost not utilized so seems nothing it throttling.
I've not set anything. Just set all with default settings.. ssid, password and not changed anything aside from auto updating firmware.
I've not even separates 2,4 and 5ghz wireless networks... should I? The roomba connected perfectly fine and it required separate 2,4ghz on tp link. Asus knows to not give it 5ghz by itself so it seems fine.

1oOa1B1.png

Excess

Most of my stuff has come in for my water cooling of Project HydroCarbon. I was also sort of able to add some gold lettering to to the Ryzen and 3080 water blocks. A bit messy right now, so I'll need to clean those up. I just need to put everything together and then determine what fittings are needed.

iEZVvDrh.png

Celcius

°Temp. member
Friends what do you recommend / use for your pc speakers? Ideally I want to run it for the little green connector on the back of the computer into the speaker that way. Don’t need wireless or Bluetooth. Solely gonna be for the computer - listening to my legit mp3s and music from my games.

I have a budget of around £60 queen sheets although I could go to £80 green queens for the right set up - don’t laugh me out of the room.

I don’t need MASSIVE BASSSSSSS but wouldn’t mind a bit so that it doesn’t sound like I am pissing into a tin can.

Thank you.
I've been using these since 2012 and really like them: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001S14DYO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm not sure how the euro converts to dollars but I'd recommend these if you can fit them into your budget. I really like the aux-in on the front too... I use that so that I can have my PC and a console hooked up to them at the same time.

Top Bottom