• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2023. 6-24 Cores, Frame Generation, Enhanced Ray Tracing & Direct Storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The difference between nVME and SATA SSD is massive, bigger than the difference between HDD and a SATA SSD.
Help me decide!

4TB Crucial P3 Plus - $175+ taxes

or

4TB WD SN850x - $229 + taxes

Using it as a game drive. I'm leaning towards the Crucial, but don't know if the extra $55 would be worth it for the WD drive.
Get the WD. I've been using Crucial for a year and while it is fine, it has MASSIVE throttling issues.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Picked up a Zotac 4080 for $925 on amazon prime deals. :messenger_smiling_hearts:
A 4080 is now in the universe of a reasonable price. I've always considered the 7900XTX to be the better value rast card, but I have always failed to consider that the 4080 draws about 100W less power than the 7900XTX. AT that price the 4080 is probably the better deal.

Sleepwalker

A 4080 is now in the universe of a reasonable price. I've always considered the 7900XTX to be the better value rast card, but I have always failed to consider that the 4080 draws about 100W less power than the 7900XTX. AT that price the 4080 is probably the better deal.
I considered the XTX for about the same price but my 750w PSU appreciates the lesser power draw for sure so went with the 80.

scoobs

Is it? Not at my Microcenter. Cheapest is still $1,199 and goes up to $1,400.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is it? Not at my Microcenter. Cheapest is still $1,199 and goes up to $1,400.
At $925 on amazon, I'd say its in the universe. If you can get something from Microcenter, you can definitely get something from Amazon. And no, $925 isn't a good price ($799 is a fair price for the 4080 if you ask me), but it's now somewhere I don't cringe when I see someone buy it.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 JohnnyFootball JohnnyFootball SantaC SantaC

Alright, I just put in my order for everything but the GPU. This is what I ended up going with:

• AMD Ryzen 7 7700X CPU
  • be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler
  • GIGABYTE B650 AURUS ELITE AX Motherobard
  • Samsung 980 PRO 2TB SSD
  • Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL30 RAM
  • Thermaltake Toughpower G1 850W 80+ Gold PSU
  • Lian Li O11 AIR MINI Case
  • Also threw in some Arctic 140mm and 120mm case fans

Look good? Any suggestions while I can still cancel?

Just need to decide on a GPU now.

And shit, I just realized I need to buy some thermal paste as well.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Alright, I just put in my order for everything but the GPU. This is what I ended up going with:

• AMD Ryzen 7 7000X CPU

Which 7000 series CPU?

Things look great to me though I am not the most technical person in the world

And honestly any of the big three GPUs you will be thrilled with just depends how deep you want to dig into the wallet

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

• AMD Ryzen 7 7000X CPU

That looks pretty solid. You might run into an issue with RAM clearance though. DOes that RAM have RGB?

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Which 7000 series CPU?

Things look great to me though I am not the most technical person in the world

And honestly any of the big three GPUs you will be thrilled with just depends how deep you want to dig into the wallet

Oops, corrected my typo. 7700X. Best Buy has a bundle promo for the 7700x & Aurus Elite for $430, so it was hard to pass up.

That looks pretty solid. You might run into an issue with RAM clearance though. DOes that RAM have RGB?

RAM does not have RGB. I wanted to go with a pretty low profile setup, so it's pretty much just all black with no lighting.

These are the sticks: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C3RYHZJQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I think it looks great and AMD is running the bundle with the 7700x you get Starfield standard edition for free

Thanks again. I found a deal on a new XFX 7900 XTX from NewEgg for $819. Couldn't pass it up.

Build is complete! Can't wait to put it together. I built this with Starfield in mind; so that's awesome news that I should be getting Starfield for free.

Last edited:

twilo99

Thanks again. I found a deal on a new XFX 7900 XTX from NewEgg for $819. Couldn't pass it up.

Build is complete! Can't wait to put it together. I built this with Starfield in mind; so that's awesome news that I should be getting Starfield for free.

How long ago was that $819 deal on there? I just looked and its back up to over 900

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
How long ago was that $819 deal on there? I just looked and its back up to over 900

Looks like the deal is still up as far as I can tell.

You have to use the code ZIPTECH and use Zip as your payment method.

Free copy of Starfield Premium Edition included as well!

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Guys, if you had to choose would you get a motherboard with a 5.0 pci-e slot, or a motherboard with a 5.0 nvme slot?

I'm trying to figure out what will serve me better in the long run. Are pcie 5.0 GPU's on the horizon and how close is say the 4090 to maxing out the 4.0 slot?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Guys, if you had to choose would you get a motherboard with a 5.0 pci-e slot, or a motherboard with a 5.0 nvme slot?

I'm trying to figure out what will serve me better in the long run. Are pcie 5.0 GPU's on the horizon and how close is say the 4090 to maxing out the 4.0 slot?
They're both useless right now to be honest.

NVMe 5.0 is supported in theory but pretty useless in practice right now because of limitations of the controllers and the memory itself. For random reads they perform nearly identically, and even in sequential reads they only get those fast speeds in short burts until the cache depletes.

And PCIe 5.0 GPUs don't exist yet at all, at least not for the mainstream brands.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
They're both useless right now to be honest.

NVMe 5.0 is supported in theory but pretty useless in practice right now because of limitations of the controllers and the memory itself. For random reads they perform nearly identically, and even in sequential reads they only get those fast speeds in short burts until the cache depletes.

And PCIe 5.0 GPUs don't exist yet at all, at least not for the mainstream brands.

How far out would you say we are from seeing either of those things becoming a reality?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
How far out would you say we are from seeing either of those things becoming a reality?
It's less a matter of them being supported as it is having hardware that justifies them. I imagine we'll probably see some advantage in the next couple years but it's going to be a game of inches at first.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
It's less a matter of them being supported as it is having hardware that justifies them. I imagine we'll probably see some advantage in the next couple years but it's going to be a game of inches at first.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

peish

prime day is clearing all 2tb nvme ssd! got my p41 platinum for about $100.

will this be a new norm for fast storage?
sn850x or p41 plat is all we need

MikeM

I’d go pci-e 5.0 but don’t see a required use case anytime in the near future.

Last edited:

Are there boards that only have PCIE 5.0 on either the slot or nvme? the slot and nvme both use PCIE so wouldn't they both have the same versions if they share the same lanes?

I suppose if you had to pick then I'd go with 5.0 nvme. I went with a B650E board for PCIE5.0 just to future proof but I'm not sure any GPU will need all that bandwidth. We might get gpus labelled as 5.0 but if you run them at 4.0 then you'll not see much a difference. When the first 4.0 gpus came out there was little difference from running it on 3.0

You'll get much better use out a nvme that can do 5.0 because that'll let you buy an SSD with speeds up to about 12GB/s. 4.0 maxes out at around 7.6GB/s. For comparison, the PS5 comes with a drive that can only do 5.5GB/s. Once DirectStorage starts getting used more then having a really fast SSD will be good to have.... but you'll probably be fine on a 3.0/4.0 drive.

GHG

Gold Member
Are there boards that only have PCIE 5.0 on either the slot or nvme? the slot and nvme both use PCIE so wouldn't they both have the same versions if they share the same lanes?

Yep, some of the Intel Z790 boards have this configuration because there are only enough 5.0 lanes from the CPU for one or the other. Some have both (the Taichi for example) but if you use the 5.0 nvme slot then the pcie slot lanes get halved to 8x which effectively makes it a 16x 4.0 slot.

The only way to guarantee full support for both is to go AMD, which I'm leaning towards anyway despite all the issues because of the 7800x3d and the fact that AM5 will continue to get support moving forwards.

Yep, some of the Intel Z790 boards have this configuration because there are only enough 5.0 lanes from the CPU for one or the other. Some have both (the Taichi for example) but if you use the 5.0 nvme slot then the pcie slot lanes get halved to 8x which effectively makes it a 16x 4.0 slot.

The only way to guarantee full support for both is to go AMD, which I'm leaning towards anyway despite all the issues because of the 7800x3d and the fact that AM5 will continue to get support moving forwards.
Ah alright, I didn't know that. That's interesting.

By "all the issues" do you mean the burning out? Boards have been updated with new BIOS that limit SoC voltage to 1.3V so that with EXPO enabled the voltage doesn't go too high. Mine sits at 1.24V now (I swear it used to be at ~1.37V). On Zen4 you don't need to go beyond 6000MHz RAM and you should be fine with 1.2V on SoC at 6000. I have a 7950X3D that i've been using for 3 months now. New BIOS should be released in August with more improvements.

I'm not gonna say that there no issues but I think it's only a small number of people who have their CPUs/boards fry. It doesn't seem like a widespread issue. If you do go AMD then just make sure you update the BIOS as soon as possible. I updated mine before I even turned my PC on for the first time but it'll do no harm to install Windows then download the latest BIOS and install it.

Even on B650E/X670E boards some do split lanes. For example, on my board if I were to use the M2_3 slot then PCIEX16_1 (the top slot for the gpu) would run in x8 but it's not an issue because I can use M2_1 which is also a 5.0 slot for NVME. The only time the M2_3 will cause an issue is if I want 4 nvme SSDs in my PC at once or 2x 5.0 ssds. Right now I have M2_1/2/4 filled with 4.0 SSDs. If I get a 5.0 drive I can just put it into M2_1. It's not great but at least I could use 5.0 on both pciex and m2. PCIE5.0 is still new technology and will improve with new boards but for now I think the AMD boards are your best option.... or wait for new Intel boards which I think will be out soon and see what their specs are like.

Last edited:

peish

7800x3d and asus x670e-f, is a winning pc build. teamgroup expert ddr5 64gb and 2tb sn850x or p41 platinum.

7800x3d and asus x670e-f, is a winning pc build. teamgroup expert ddr5 64gb and 2tb sn850x or p41 platinum.
7800X3D is good if you're only gaming. If you can get a good price on a 7950X3D then it's one of the best CPUs you can buy.

X670 isn't needed unless you absolutely need extra lanes or USB4. B650E is good. B650 is not bad but not future proof. I don't know why anyone would choose to build a PCIE 4/DDR4 system in 2023.

64GB is the way to go if you want the best experience. 32GB is fine but games can use most of that up now and they are only going to get more demanding.

SN850X is a good SSD.

peish

7800X3D is good if you're only gaming. If you can get a good price on a 7950X3D then it's one of the best CPUs you can buy.

X670 isn't needed unless you absolutely need extra lanes or USB4. B650E is good. B650 is not bad but not future proof. I don't know why anyone would choose to build a PCIE 4/DDR4 system in 2023.

64GB is the way to go if you want the best experience. 32GB is fine but games can use most of that up now and they are only going to get more demanding.

SN850X is a good SSD.

but yes the Asus x670e-f has the best positioning for power users looking for value and some longevity

it runs full*
16x pcie 5
4x pcie 5 nvme
4x pcie 5 nvme
4x pcie 4 nvme, *not full per se since this runs off the chipset
another 4x pcie 4 nvme, will be half split if you have the one above installed
asynchronous eclk for tuning those pesky X3D cpus
ATX sized
Asus superior bios for ram tuning
it gives up debug codes for debug led which more than suffice

Danknugz

Ah alright, I didn't know that. That's interesting.

By "all the issues" do you mean the burning out? Boards have been updated with new BIOS that limit SoC voltage to 1.3V so that with EXPO enabled the voltage doesn't go too high. Mine sits at 1.24V now (I swear it used to be at ~1.37V). On Zen4 you don't need to go beyond 6000MHz RAM and you should be fine with 1.2V on SoC at 6000. I have a 7950X3D that i've been using for 3 months now. New BIOS should be released in August with more improvements.

I'm not gonna say that there no issues but I think it's only a small number of people who have their CPUs/boards fry. It doesn't seem like a widespread issue. If you do go AMD then just make sure you update the BIOS as soon as possible. I updated mine before I even turned my PC on for the first time but it'll do no harm to install Windows then download the latest BIOS and install it.

Even on B650E/X670E boards some do split lanes. For example, on my board if I were to use the M2_3 slot then PCIEX16_1 (the top slot for the gpu) would run in x8 but it's not an issue because I can use M2_1 which is also a 5.0 slot for NVME. The only time the M2_3 will cause an issue is if I want 4 nvme SSDs in my PC at once or 2x 5.0 ssds. Right now I have M2_1/2/4 filled with 4.0 SSDs. If I get a 5.0 drive I can just put it into M2_1. It's not great but at least I could use 5.0 on both pciex and m2. PCIE5.0 is still new technology and will improve with new boards but for now I think the AMD boards are your best option.... or wait for new Intel boards which I think will be out soon and see what their specs are like.
AMDs boards burning up? shocking

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Just upgraded to RTX 4090 Strix OC with an i5 13600KF. What are some settings I should be aware of to maximize graphic fidelity and frames per second?

Thanks!

dolabla

Congrats. Best feeling is when it boots up.

Revenge Of The Sith Power GIF by Star Wars
No doubt! It was such an amazing feeling. And this 4090 is an absolute monster. It blows away everything I currently have :messenger_grinning_smiling:.

Vognerful

Hi everyone, need advice on upgrading cpu or cpu/MB bundle

I currently have:
  • MB: Asus ROG B550f (itx)
  • Ryzen 3600
  • 16 GB ram 3200
  • RTX 4070
  • monitor: 1440p 170 hrz
  • case lian li H2O
so the issue I have is I was thinking of upgrading my CPU, but if I wanted to go beyond ryzen 5 series, I need to upgrade the motherboard too. I bought the MB 1.5 year ago as there were no itx motherboard in the market at the time except very few models (old ones).

and since my parts are inside a small case, I won't be able to cool any killer cpu (not to mention the cost is not that attractive for me)

So, is there any 5 series processer worth upgrading to? or should I upgrade my MB later and buy a better cpu offering? for efficiency purpose, what are the best cpus available right now?

twilo99

That's a nice looking board there..

Installed the 5800x3D yesterday and I'm very pleased with what I see thus far.

I've always enjoyed a quiet system so all I have in there is a cheap Thermalright Assasin cooler with only one fan and one exhaust fan on the back of the case. I set the both fan curves aggressively, so both fans do not go over 1100 RPM.

Slight undervolt with the SoC voltage down to 1.0v and I did this at -30

38-40c idle
75-82c full load

all cores boosting to 4425 MHz.

Not as quiet and efficient as my XSS but still pretty impressive for such a powerful CPU and it will prolong the life of my AM4 system by quite a bit..

Yes, the cooler is hideous.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

The damn GPU wouldn't fit my case lmao so now I need a new case, might as well keep my old PC and pass it on to my wife and build another

for a 4080 (that I already have) should I go AM5 or Intel? What's the current best bang for buck? Not looking to get the most expensive cpu of either, just something that goes will with the 4080 for gaming. Taking case recommendations as well lol!

Rossco EZ

guys i got an extra fan today and installed it so i have three Be quiet pure wings 2 as intake fans on the front and i didn’t want the corsair fan that came with my case to go to waste so i installed it on the top as far back as i could. i was wondering though if it is ok to do that? will it take too much air from the cpu fan?
it’s only a 5600x and it sits at like 32-34c when i am just using the browser etc. when gaming max is like 62c that i’ve seen.

so will that fan above the cpu cooler take too much air or is everything good and i shouldn’t worry?
xxcgRX3.jpg

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hi everyone, need advice on upgrading cpu or cpu/MB bundle

I currently have:
  • MB: Asus ROG B550f (itx)
  • Ryzen 3600
  • 16 GB ram 3200
  • RTX 4070
  • monitor: 1440p 170 hrz
  • case lian li H2O
so the issue I have is I was thinking of upgrading my CPU, but if I wanted to go beyond ryzen 5 series, I need to upgrade the motherboard too. I bought the MB 1.5 year ago as there were no itx motherboard in the market at the time except very few models (old ones).

and since my parts are inside a small case, I won't be able to cool any killer cpu (not to mention the cost is not that attractive for me)

So, is there any 5 series processer worth upgrading to? or should I upgrade my MB later and buy a better cpu offering? for efficiency purpose, what are the best cpus available right now?
IMO the only 5000 series CPU worth getting is the 5800X3D. That will provide a pretty good gaming upgrade. Get that if you want to keep it simple. Otherwise, it will cost you quite a bit more to upgrade beyond that.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The damn GPU wouldn't fit my case lmao so now I need a new case, might as well keep my old PC and pass it on to my wife and build another

for a 4080 (that I already have) should I go AM5 or Intel? What's the current best bang for buck? Not looking to get the most expensive cpu of either, just something that goes will with the 4080 for gaming. Taking case recommendations as well lol!
If you want to go balls to the wall go with AM5 and a 7800X3d. For gaming it's the best performing and for other tasks the performance is not as good as Intel or the non-3D cache chips on par with the 13 series from Intel, BUT uses drastically less power and can run far cooler. Undervolting can make up the performance difference.

The best reason to go with Intel is if you want to go with like a 13600K and still have DDR4 memory you want to use. The 13600K is nowhere NEAR as power hungry as the 13700K or 13900K.

The 7800X3D is currently the best gaming CPU.

recently got some ddr5 7200 cl34 for my 12700k/asus mobo, loaded the xmp profile, it did not like it.
booted into windows but errors all over the place.

will try updating the bios and playing with settings. let's see what happens.

twilo99

Looking forward to some benchmarks but it will probably be close

guys i got an extra fan today and installed it so i have three Be quiet pure wings 2 as intake fans on the front and i didn’t want the corsair fan that came with my case to go to waste so i installed it on the top as far back as i could. i was wondering though if it is ok to do that? will it take too much air from the cpu fan?
it’s only a 5600x and it sits at like 32-34c when i am just using the browser etc. when gaming max is like 62c that i’ve seen.

so will that fan above the cpu cooler take too much air or is everything good and i shouldn’t worry?
xxcgRX3.jpg

Nah, its good. I mean, this set up creates an awesome vortex around the CPU but I don't think it will effect things negatevily for you... and your temps are great.

Have you tried running less fans? Like if you turn off two at the front? Just curious how much temps will rise if you did that.

The 5600x is an awesome CPU for being only 65w... I had a hard time letting it go, but the 5800x3d is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom