• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need party games for my kids/family

I've posted this on behalf of a new member O OutofTouchGuy81
He needs party games for his kids, something that will get his kids and/or him moving. Basically something for the whole family. So help him out.

"Hey there, imagine my disappointment when I joined and found out I can't make a thread! If someone could be so kind or had the info I'd appreciate it. I was a big gamer back in the day but then I got a family and a whole load of little monsters and it has been a good 15 years before I paid attention to gaming. I see we still have the big players (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft). There's also some VR stuff that looks pretty cool. My question is this:
My kids are into gaming but I want the best system or games out there that we can do as a family that will get them off their butts and moving. I remember something like Wii sports awhile back. I used to prefer PlayStation because it had more mature titles, but this day and age with a bunch of 3-6 year olds, I'm looking for something fun and active that will get them up and moving. I'd prefer if there was an option for the PC but I feel I'm going to have to buy a console system to get these requirements. Does Nintendo still lead the charge in this type of gaming?
Any information would be appreciated! "

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Actually Nintendo Switch is for mature audience, but kids too.

For Nintendo
-Mario party
-Mario kary 8

If you have Ps4 I recommend a lot Gravity Rush 1 and Gravity Rush 2. These are beautiful games and show kids how to be a Good person in públic and the importante of study, Sides Quest have moral of society that are beautiful (Gravity Rush 2)

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If you have Ps4 I recommend a lot Gravity Rush 1 and Gravity Rush 2. These are beautiful games and show kids how to be a Good person in públic and the importante of study, Sides Quest have moral of society that are beautiful (Gravity Rush 2)
Look, I LOVE GR series too but you can’t keep mentioning this game every thread, what OP is asking for is a game that will keep your body active while playing the game.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Look, I LOVE GR series too but you can’t keep mentioning this game every thread, what OP is asking for is a game that will keep your body active while playing the game.
🤭 Gravity Rush is so Perfect.
Ok
I get it.

Ring fit aventure for Nintendo Switch. Is a nice game and be a good exercise. Even me that im a hard ore gamer and do exercise every day of week in looking this game too.

I don't know what to do with 3 year olds but 6 year olds and up are happy to play smash bros and mario kart...But it's important to set things up very specifically.

For example, in smash put all the kids on the same team against low level cpus so that they always win and don't fight each other. If they fight each other in the game, they'll be fighting each other in real life shortly thereafter. You should also choose a map with little to no pits when they're starting out, but make it a timer based match with infinite lives in any case. If it's just 2 kids, they can play through "classic" mode (a kind of very light story with a boss) very well, the game keeps lowering and raising the difficulty based on your performance, and can be super easy at low levels.

You can also play teams in mario kart, but I actually think 6 years old is a bit young to win a race even on 50cc, although that depends on the specific kid. Of course if you are sitting there playing with them, that changes things and you can help them improve their driving. The dynamic of whether you're doing it together or if you leave them to it so you can take care of something else changes things a lot. Maybe team battles in mario kart. If you do have kids that can compete without fighting, they can race each other with the cpus opponents turned off, they won't be overtaken by the AI and that will work well. For some reason kids cannot bear the thought of losing even at something they've never done before and should not expect to be any good at.

You would think New Super Mario Bros or Yoshi's Woolly World would work great for little kids as co-op platformers. For me personally playing Mario was like living in a dream world when I was that age. But it's not so in most cases. Little kids can't handle jumping on moving platforms even at the Woolly World level, Mario is way beyond them. They'll knock each other off cliffs and when they're done killing each other in the game they will attempt to kill each other IRL.

Another benefit of smash and mario kart is you can buy cheap wired controllers for the little kids to use. Expensive joycons...I don't want little kids using them to be honest.

As for being fun and active, that sounds like a visit to the local park. Maybe that "1,2 Switch!" game is good? Or Mario Party? I've washed my hands of motion controls so I wouldn't know. And that would mean expensive joycons...

Top Bottom