• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played around with an Xbox One today, some impressions (Controller, Forza 5, noise)

Albert Penello mentioned in the Ryse thread that demos for it and Forza 5 were old builds of the game pre cpu and gpu buff. Don't know if that applies here with what you played. Still, nice to read more impressions. Can't wait to get my hands on the darn thing.
Would that even make much of a difference? Honestly curious.

Er...this may sound silly but aren't these demo games the ones from E3 and Gamescom?

I think many people still don't understand how much trouble it is to create a demo....and assume any demo is the latest build of the game...

Having played with the XB1 at the EB Expo, I can confirm that the triggers are pretty wonderful and definitely a step up; very smooth and with a great balance of resistance/'clickyness'.

The bumpers, on the other hand, are atrocious. And this is coming from someone who adores the 360 controller. They're just far too spongy and require such effort to get them to register. The problem is that the 'sweet spot' - more the 'acceptable spot', actually - of the bumper doesn't lie underneath where any average sized hand's fingers would rest. You have to make a conscious effort to hook your finger inwards and press the outermost point of the bumper to get the click. It is repugnant to good ergonomics.

I played around with a 360 controller immediately after and the difference was night and day. Quite sad, regardless of your console loyalty.

Chaostar

I don't remember reading any negative Xbone controller opinions? Did I miss something?

Glad to hear the Dpad is good though, I still have anxiety nightmares from accidentally switching to the wrong weapon in GeoW 1 in the crucial moments of MP ¬_¬

I don't remember reading any negative Xbone controller opinions? Did I miss something?

Glad to hear the Dpad is good though, I still have anxiety nightmares from accidentally switching to the wrong weapon in GeoW 1 in the crucial moments of MP ¬_¬

There's been a couple articles lately with negative impressions. Easy to miss them if you weren't on GAF that day or something.

There definitely won't be the issue you cited with this d-pad, no way.

MormaPope

Banned
So Dualshock 4 vs Xbone controller basically amounts to ergonomic preference, dpads, and bumper placement? Sounds like the L1/R1 buttons on the Dualshock 4 are better than the Xbone bumpers, and the d-pad for the Xbone controller has been greatly improved over the 360 pad.

So Dualshock 4 vs Xbone controller basically amounts to ergonomic preference, dpads, and bumper placement? Sounds like the L1/R1 buttons on the Dualshock 4 are better than the Xbone bumpers, and the d-pad for the Xbone controller has been greatly improved over the 360 pad.

In a nutshell, I would say that the ergonomics of the 360 controller are better than both. The prongs on the X1 are angled outward a bit too much for my liking and the DS4 is still that little bit too small to be considered perfect.

Where the next gen controllers seem to absolutely slay their current gen counterparts is in the smoothness and more finite movement of the joysticks and triggers.

Though the DS's layout has never been an issue for me, I'm definitely #teamasymmetricalsticks, but on first impressions, the bumpers are as 'deal breaker' as a controller component can get; more so than the 360 d-pad.

In the other threads, many are saying the jaggies and appearance of Forza are problems with the calibration of the televisions. Maybe the television was all jacked up and was producing the jaggies and making it not as impressive as you would have hoped? That seems to be a common thought in the other threads.

And also Penello said you should not base really base your opinions on the operating system, Kinect functionality, or quality of the games based on these early demo units they have set up for people. They are using older builds of everything. He says the latest updates he has played, looks and functions much better than you are going to find on these demo units or on the Xbox Truck.

SRTtoZ

In the other threads, many are saying the jaggies and appearance of Forza are problems with the calibration of the televisions. Maybe the television was all jacked up and was producing the jaggies and making it not as impressive as you would have hoped? That seems to be a common thought in the other threads.

They are "hoping" its a sharpness issue but I would highly doubt that's the case.

I also got to play a XBOX One today, Cross Iron Mills Mall Xbox One Road Show.

I wanted to chime in that I agree with alot of what the OP said. The controller feels great. Its design, contours, weight etc all felt really nice. The analog sticks seem very similar to the ones that were put on the Silver 360 controllers with the twistable d-pad, but shorter. I was super impressed with the trigger rumble as well, it was a weird sensation when i first jammed on the breaks in forza and the feedback in the trigger just added a little extra sense of conection with what was going on. This biggest example i can think of, is when the PS3 launched and was lacking rumble, even though its somthing subtle, I had become accustomed to that small amount of feedback from impact in scenes and now that it was missing i noticed it. I feel the same way about the one controller.

I got to see and play with Forza 5, Killer instinct and the dashboard. I do like the forza series, im not a hardcore racing person but this series did enough to draw me in. In all honesty, I couldnt tell much of a difference between Forza 4 and this. Im sure side by side there is, but the graphical leap that this generation is offering in launch titles didnt blow me away. The amount of, or for a better term, lack of aliasing in Forza 5 was also super distracting. Maybe this is a early build or maybe this is a caveat of making launch but i was seriously hoping we were done with these types of issues for next gen.

Killer instinct, i just think by its nature is kinda hard to be a wow factor. I thought the game looked and played super smooth and fast, but if you had told me this was a 360 game, i wouldn't be hard to find fault. I'm not trying to diss the game but it can be very hard to make a fighting game show off the graphical powers of a system.

the dashboard seemed super responsive and for what it was functional, however its not the final release, it even said something like "XBox One Kiosk Dash" on it and there was very little functionality to it outside of popping in and out of the game.

The problem is that the 'sweet spot' - more the 'acceptable spot', actually - of the bumper doesn't lie underneath where any average sized hand's fingers would rest. You have to make a conscious effort to hook your finger inwards and press the outermost point of the bumper to get the click.

That's the first think I noticed when picking up the Xbone controller for the first time. I have fairly large hands and my pointer fingers can rest comfortably on the 360 bumpers. However, on the Xbone I have to bend my fingers upwards quite a bit to hit the bumpers. It's extremely awkward and uncomfortable.

I am surprised more people aren't talking about this issue. I pointed it out to the people I was with when I test drove the controller and they all agreed the bumpers were a step back compared to 360.

wizzbang

Banned
Do you've got a link to those articles? I'd like to read it.

I don't recall the exact link - I think one was Wired and the other CNET? Maybe?
One came out the day of the announcement, the other a few days before. The ones with the shots of all the printed controllers, another one had a shot of the room with the special foam silencing fins.

Good articles, it's obvious MS is at least trying damned hard to produce a reliable / quiet console. We'll see if it pans out, for their sake I hope so.

Chaostar

There's been a couple articles lately with negative impressions. Easy to miss them if you weren't on GAF that day or something.

There definitely won't the issue you cited with this d-pad, no way.

Must've missed them.

Guess you can't please everyone though, I assume the bone pad will be great. Only thing that might trip it up is the weird trigger/shoulder config noted in the OP.

I have preorders in on the next-gen consoles and the more I hear about their graphics the more I just want to go full PC. Already have a really good rig - just need to commit.

Just.... Be patient and give it some time man. You'll only go and spend a grand on getting a rig that struggles with the second wave next-gen titles.

Bowler

Albert Penello mentioned in the Ryse thread that demos for it and Forza 5 were old builds of the game pre cpu and gpu buff. Don't know if that applies here with what you played. Still, nice to read more impressions. Can't wait to get my hands on the darn thing.

Wut? He actually said that? You got to be kidding me. That's the dumbest shit I've heard.

"We are trying to sell you this awesome thing,and you can try it now, but don't hate on it, cuz its not ready. 30 days is a long time. " yeah...NO

I'm firmly in the PS4 camp also - but the loons who think the Xbox One would be loud must not have done any reading.
There was 2 engineering articles which came out, showing the extensive work they did to keep this thing quiet / reliable / cool. It's utterly crazy - it was a big focus for them.

They had that ultra quiet room (one of the quietest in the world) built - to test the units.
The case is larger than a PS4, the power supply is not inside the unit, like the PS4 and the actual tech inside is slower.

That, combined with the reputation from the 360, I speculate that the Xbox One will be a very very reliable console.
Hell there was even that quote that because it's going to be used as a TV peripheral like a cable box, I think I saw one say something along the lines of it "intending to be running for 10 years" (not lasting, running)

I'm not buying one but yeah, it'll be reliable.

Yeah no that last part isn't gona happen.

HDDs rarely last for ten years of regular use, let alone ten years of 24/7 on time.
I doubt they put in expensive high end server grade hard drives, probably some generic hitachi 500GB drive.

The DVR functionality will also significantly reduce the lifetime of the HDD

I'm on my 3rd DVR in 5 years time, and both time I went in for a replacement at my local TV provider store there was a line of people doing the same.

Mechanical parts never have a long life unless they are overengineered (and expensive)

Just.... Be patient and give it some time man. You'll only go and spend a grand on getting a rig that struggles with the second wave next-gen titles.
Wait do your really think this is the case? I am trying to make the same decision now, when should we be looking at upgrading then?

jet1911

Wut? He actually said that? You got to be kidding me. That's the dumbest shit I've heard.

"We are trying to sell you this awesome thing,and you can try it now, but don't hate on it, cuz its not ready. 30 days is a long time. " yeah...NO

What he said was that the games demoed are old builds from E3 and Gamescom.

MormaPope

Banned
In a nutshell, I would say that the ergonomics of the 360 controller are better than both. The prongs on the X1 are angled outward a bit too much for my liking and the DS4 is still that little bit too small to be considered perfect.

Where the next gen controllers seem to absolutely slay their current gen counterparts is in the smoothness and more finite movement of the joysticks and triggers.

Though the DS's layout has never been an issue for me, I'm definitely #teamasymmetricalsticks, but on first impressions, the bumpers are as 'deal breaker' as a controller component can get; more so than the 360 d-pad.

Damn.

My mind is sorta blown on how Microsoft messed with the bumpers so much. Were they built and designed that way due to the trigger rumble feature? That's the only reason why them changing up the bumper design so much makes any sense.

Majanew

Banned
Damn.

My mind is sorta blown on how Microsoft messed with the bumpers so much. Were they built and designed that way due to the trigger rumble feature? That's the only reason why them changing up the bumper design so much makes any sense.

Yep. The triggers/bumpers had to be fattened up for the stupid rumble bullshit.

Very disappointed about the jaggies plaguing games still.

stryke

The amount of, or for a better term, lack of aliasing in Forza 5 was also super distracting. Maybe this is a early build or maybe this is a caveat of making launch but i was seriously hoping we were done with these types of issues for next gen.

That's a good thing. ;)

but we know what you mean

Wait do your really think this is the case? I am trying to make the same decision now, when should we be looking at upgrading then?

Given the PC spec on some of these early gen (read: cross gen) titles, damn right I think that's the case.

And if you weren't around for last gen then it was the same thing.

I used a (£1000) PC just after the 360 came out... Worst decision ever, games on the 360 look way better than I could get them to run.

EBE

What he said was that the games demoed are old builds from E3 and Gamescom.

yeah. this is what i meant by my reference to his quote. simply that they are older builds. i think Ryse is evidence enough that these games have been making great strides in overall polish

I was going to echo this

They don't make new builds every couple of weeks leading up to launch. They're busy finishing the games. Hence, you get to demo old builds. Not the end of the world. It's understandable.

wizzbang

Banned
Yeah no that last part may not happen.

HDDs rarely last for ten years of regular use, let alone ten years of 24/7 on time.
I doubt they put in expensive high end server grade hard drives, probably some generic hitachi 500GB drive.

The DVR functionality will also significantly reduce the lifetime of the HDD

I'm on my 3rd DVR in 5 years time, and both time I went in for a replacement at my local TV provider store there was a line of people doing the same.

Mechanical parts never have a long life unless they are overengineered (and expensive)

I fixed your post for you.
Also I have a box of hard drives here all of them working, all of them 6 to 15 years old.
Sure, 10 years may see a few drop off but it's far more likely that an Xbox One will last 10 years, than a launch Xbox 360.

Caayn

It takes time to create a new build. Time is very, very, valuable right now as developers have very limited time to get their games ready for the launch.

(...)One thing I noticed however is that there were a lot more jaggies than I was expecting, this game is suppose to be 1080p right? It was even a relatively small 32-36 inch TV. I don't want to sit here and say definitively that it's under 1080p or anything, but there sure was a lot of aliasing/jaggies that I noticed, specifically on the road. Other than that it's a good looking game though.
Weren't there some people here on GAF saying that the small size of the eSRAM meant that doing decent AA on 1080p titles would be problematic? Perhaps that's what we're seeing here?

Hmm I can't imagine liking a higher ridge around the analog sticks. I prefer the convex surface of the Wii U sticks to the 360 as it is.

Killer instinct, i just think by its nature is kinda hard to be a wow factor. I thought the game looked and played super smooth and fast, but if you had told me this was a 360 game, i wouldn't be hard to find fault. I'm not trying to diss the game but it can be very hard to make a fighting game show off the graphical powers of a system.

Have you looked at SF4, Injustice, MK9 and any other fighter on a 360 and then compare it? I really find this hard to believe. Not saying you have an agenda but ive seen the hi res 60fps videos of KI and they look miles ahead of anything on the current gen systems in terms of fighting games.

level44

Have you looked at SF4, Injustice, MK9 and any other fighter on a 360 and then compare it? I really find this hard to believe. Not saying you have an agenda but ive seen the hi res 60fps videos of KI and they look miles ahead of anything on the current gen systems in terms of fighting games.

Since the guy has actually played KI on an Xbox one and you've only seen videos i think I'm more inclined to believe him.

Smash

Banned
So, the game I played was Forza 5. It looks very nice, as expected. Wasn't blown away or anything by it though. It's very much a "nicer looking Forza" rather than a huge "THIS IS NEXT GEN" moment, to me. One thing I noticed however is that there were a lot more jaggies than I was expecting, this game is suppose to be 1080p right? It was even a relatively small 32-36 inch TV. I don't want to sit here and say definitively that it's under 1080p or anything, but there sure was a lot of aliasing/jaggies that I noticed, specifically on the road. Other than that it's a good looking game though.

So it's pretty much what I inferred from the videos too. The game looks like an updated Forza, that's it imo.

iBuzz7S

Banned
Just for clarification on your post OP, I went through your post history. Apparently that's how NeoGAF members determine whether you are trolling or being serious.

The only public showcase of the Xbox One in Australia has been at the EB Games Expo. Other than that, I don't think us Aussies will be getting any hands-on with the console prior to launch.

From what I've read and heard, the Xbox One controller isn't as amazing as the Xbox 360 controller. I guess people just got use to what they had and don't want change, just like how a lot of 'em (or just gamers in general) had a massive bitch about what Microsoft wanted to implement into the Xbox One.

Here's hoping that their opinions are just biased based on their Xbox 360 experience, or are simply being negative because they have nothing better to do with their time and feed the fanboys their daily vitamins.

feel

I keep reading bad impressions about the bumpers, shame. Will still be buying one but Dual Shock 4 it is for Dark Souls II (PC).

GuessWho

So I had a go as well. There was no one so o took my time with it. It was my first time and as soon as I picked up the Xbox one controller I felt right at home. I agree with mostly everything said in OP about the controller, but most of the small complaints are such non issues. I had no problems whatsoever. It really is a case of nitpicking just for the sake of it. The controller is great and anyone picking up a xb1 will be happy and satisfied.
About forza 5, the demo was very meh but clearly an old build. I mean it was Laguna seca for crying out loud. I've seen this track a million times... and yeah looks good but wtv. I found the colors extremely bright and everything looked sharp. Yes there were a few jaggies but that's because I was an arm length away from the TV.
My biggest surprise was how small the Xbox was and how the Kinect now doesn't look like a toy compared to the previous one.
Oh and I found it funny how the a 10 year old kid was only asking questions to the rep about call of duty lol.

Top Bottom