• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I present you... the currently highest&most rated PSN games

The rating-system for the PSN Stores introduced in the PS3 FW 3.40 gives us the opportunity for some nice list-wars.

I collected the data from the US Store. The PAL PS Stores (all stores of the PAL are combined) have their own ratings, same for Japan.

Only PSN games and downloadable versions of PS3 games, no PSone games, minis or PSP games.

- Again. this is about user ratings of PSN games.
- Only people who bought a game can rate it.
- It can not be concluded how much a specific title sold. But given how even very old games have high vote numbers, the system can indicate quite a lot, e.g which games bombed and which are the top dogs.

All data is from today, almost one week after the firmware update so there are already enough votes.

I have two list variants for you.

First list:

I collected ALL PSN games with a rating above 4.00 stars. Of these games, I took the highest rated 25 games and sorted them by the vote number.

Code:
[B]The 25 highest rated PSN games - sorted by their number of votes: [/B]

Game				average Rating	Number of votes
[LIST=1]
[*]Fat Princess				4.43		3013
[*]Flower					4.66		2340
[*]Marvel vs. Capcom 2			4.41		1787
[*]Super Stardust HD			4.68		1747
[*]Battlefield 1943			4.46		1709
[*]PixelJunk Shooter			4.69		1652
[*]inFamous				4.54		1292
[*]Joe Danger				4.61		1288
[*]Ratchet & Clank Future: QfB		4.44		1259
[*]PixelJunk Monsters			4.44		1213
[*]Trine					4.44		1049
[*]Burnout Paradise			4.65		998
[*]Critter Crunch				4.46		897
[*]Shatter					4.54		837
[*]Peggle					4.63		542
[*]Söldner-X 2: Prototype			4.69		342
[*]Record of Agarest War			4.60		265
[*]Tales of Monkey Island			4.84		260
[*]Sam & Max: TDP Episodes 1		4.73		239
[*]Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection Online	4.47		219
[*]GundeadliGne				4.48		212
[*]Siren: Blood Curse Episodes 9-12	4.37		202
[*]Gundemonium Recollection		4.54		195
[*]Mega Man 10				4.45		191
[*]WipEout HD*				4.65		184
[/LIST]

*WH:HD is only the current PSN+ version apparently, PAL version has over 5000 votes

nothing to see here

note: for the first list I had to remove:
Burnout Paradise Ultimate 5.00 (3)
Rocket Knight 5.00 (5)
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse Episodes 1-5 5.00 (3)
3 on 3 NHL Arcade 4.66 (3)

as their number of votes is just too low. There were 1-2 bundles w/o any votes and no votes showed up for Go! Sudoku

Second list:
I collected ALL PSN games which were rated at least 300 times. Of these games, I took the most rated 25 games and sorted them by their average rating.

Code:
[B]The 25 most rated PSN games - sorted by their average rating:[/B]

Game				average Rating	Number of votes
[LIST=1]
[*]PixelJunk Shooter			4.69		1652
[*]Super Stardust HD			4.68		1747
[*]Flower					4.66		2340
[*]Burnout Paradise			4.65		998
[*]Joe Danger				4.61		1288
[*]inFamous				4.54		1292
[*]Shatter					4.54		837
[*]Battlefield 1943			4.46		1709
[*]Critter Crunch				4.46		897
[*]Ratchet & Clank Future: QfB		4.44		1259
[*]PixelJunk Monsters			4.44		1213
[*]Trine					4.44		1049
[*]Fat Princess				4.43		3013
[*]Marvel vs. Capcom 2			4.41		1787
[*]Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix	4.25		1226
[*]Mortal Kombat II			4.06		1874
[*]Call of Duty Classic			4.04		1147
[*]flOw					3.86		1026
[*]TMNT: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled	3.72		975
[*]Burn Zombie Burn			3.71		1103
[*]High Velocity Bowling			3.64		1061
[*]NOBY NOBY BOY				3.20		1023
[*]PAIN					3.09		1807
[*]Linger in Shadows			3.03		1799
[*].detuned				2.28		1207
[/LIST]

stop scrolling down already

some things are quite fishy, e.g. high vote number for inFamous and the very low vote number for WipeOut HD, maybe both are due PSN+.

Feel free to post other formats and PS stores
here is a comparison with the PAL Stores (20 highest rated games, includes PS1 games)
http://www.ps3attitude.com/new/2010/07/top-20-rated-psn-games-eu/

current US PSone top 10 most voted list:
ULTROS! said:
Here's for PS1, only did top 10 though (US PSN):

1. Final Fantasy VII - 4.80 - 3,304
2. Final Fantasy IX - 4.90 - 1,835
3. Final Fantasy VIII - 4.68 - 1,809
4. Rally Cross - 2.33 - 1,396
5. Resident Evil 2 - 4.81 - 1,334
6. Metal Gear Solid - 4.91 - 1,108
7. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - 4.86 - 1,039
8. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - 4.78 - 929
9. Resident Evil - 4.59 - 915
10. Spyro the Dragon - 4.24 - 725

*Edit - The Rally Cross rating + rating count is questionable, you can replace it with Silent Hill - 4.69 - 702

*Edit 2 - Yeah, FFVII has the most number of rates.

you could also use this data to compare how many voted(downloaded) a demo and how many actually bought the game (number of votes for the full game). But as I said, you can't actually tell sale numbers and it's unclear if people tend to vote for games that are more memorable and other factors.

I think there are quite some surprises in their, e.g. I would not have guessed Fat Princess as the most soldvoted game (though it's probably WO:HD just like in PAL). But their is a chance it's because of the patch+addon directly after the new firmware, so more people were reminded to vote the game while they're at it.

If you want to rate your own stuff (and more than just PSN games), you can do it easier by downloading Sony's Media Go software (no PSP needed). With this software you can log into your PSN account on PC, choose the download list of this account and just rate everything you ever downloaded there instead of searching for your bought games/dlc/demos in the PS Store itself.

mock&lock if someone already did it

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ok im kind slow today so ...
- If you bought a game before the latest firmware can you rate it too?
- The rating system is PSN+ exclusive ?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Go Gundemonium and Gundeadligne!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
In general I was pleasantly surprised that best games got rated highest. Usually letting users do this kind of quality selection is a recipe for a disaster.

Speevy

Banned
I'm surprised Mortal Kombat 2 isn't on there, considering they've been buying that game for almost 4 years now.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, GAF. i just bought my first 20 USD PSN card. I own 0 PSN titles, can I have an opinion on how to spend those $20?

Jeels

Real glad Critter Crunch is up there. Looking forward to that company's next game too. Seriously, the art and animations in those games alone make them worth it.

Shinriji

I voted in every game and DLC that I have on the day 1, but Wipeout HD was missing from the store that day (I couldn't find it anywhere) and so I just voted on the fury expansion (5 stars of course). The funny thing is that Final Fantasy 7 was miles ahead from the second place (in votes and rates).

Go Critter Crunch.

gokieks

I was surprised at how few votes WipEout HD got, then I remembered that the game was MIA from the PSN Store when 3.40 and this new feature hit.

*turns on PS3 and goes to rate it 5 stars*

Edit: I still don't see the core game on PS Store anywhere. Where did you find it to see the ratings? View All by Title -> W -> WipEout HD only has Fury show up, not the main game. Same goes for the WipEout HD link in PSN+ section. And searching for it brings up search results, but trying to go into the product description brings up a blank page.

Edit Too: Oh, I guess through Media Go. Bah. D:

Edit Too Human Trilogy: Oh god I hate Media Go so much. I've used it about 4 times and every single time it's told me to update to a new version, but not until it asked me to update a video engine first. God damn it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

3. Final Fantasy VIII - 4.68 - 1,809

*Edit - The Rally Cross rating + rating count is questionable, you can replace it with Silent Hill - 4.69 - 702

El-Suave

They need to make it easier for people to rate stuff they bought. If I'm not mistaken, right now you have to manually look up the stuff you've bought in the store (which is a pain if you ususally just shop on the "What's New" page) and then rate it.

There should be a rating button in your download history, or maybe they should mail you a few weeks after your purchase and ask you to rate your purchases via a website.

DR2K

Banned
El-Suave said:
They need to make it easier for people to rate stuff they bought. If I'm not mistaken, right now you have to manually look up the stuff you've bought in the store (which is a pain if you ususally just shop on the "What's New" page) and then rate it.

There should be a rating button in your download history, or maybe they should mail you a few weeks after your purchase and ask you to rate your purchases via a website.

If you have media go you can instantly rate all your content on the download list.

Speevy said:
I'm surprised Mortal Kombat 2 isn't on there, considering they've been buying that game for almost 4 years now.

it's number 16 in the second list, it has the third most votes of all PSN games.

Ah yeah, WO:HD is probably PSN+ people only (can they vote for these "rented" games?) and the former full download version is hidden.

Cromulent_Word said:
thanks for compiling the list!

great to see so many games from small studios up there... including ours, of course :)

Haven't tried Puzzle Quest 2 yet, but I'm doubtful that it'll come even remotely close to dethroning Clash of Heroes as the best RPG/Puzzle hybrid game.

Just had to say...

Jeels

Cromulent_Word said:
thanks for compiling the list!

great to see so many games from small studios up there... including ours, of course :)

Capy! I absolutely love Critter Crunch, it is easily my favorite PSN game. Can't wait for Might and Magic. Day one for sure. Keep up the amazing work.

Razorskin

----- ------
ULTROS! said:

It's because it's free for plus subscribers.

MUCJ3.jpg

The fuck? Why am I seeing it like this?

Withnail

Thanks for taking the time to do this OP. Glad to see that most of the best PSN games are represented in those lists.

I do think this exercise would be more useful in say 6 or 12 months though. It's still very early days for the rating system and I wonder how many people even know about it.

ULTROS!

I've been wondering, Super Stardust HD did over 300k sales right? I wonder how much did FFVII sell... (it'll be awesome if it did more than a million in all combined stores).

Withnail

SapientWolf said:
The Fat Princess devs have really been supporting the community and it shows. So good on them.

The recent add-on was made by a completely different studio to the developers of the original game (Titan). Seems it's the publisher Sony who are responsible for keeping the support going.

androvsky

ULTROS! said:

3. Final Fantasy VII - 4.68 - 1,809

So it's safe to assume #3 is actually for Final Fantasy VIII?

ULTROS!

androvsky said:
So it's safe to assume #3 is actually for Final Fantasy VIII?

yup, will correct. sorry :p

yurinka

I think it's too soon to consider the list, specially considering the people mainly will vote just the ones that are now in the "latest releases".

I prefer the sorting of the 2nd list. I think it will be better to know the quality of the games. The first one would be more a way to know the best sellers.

Slightly OT, but I noticed MOON (the movie) had a 2.5 star rating last night, which is totally unacceptable. It's only available to buy on PSN (for some reason), so who buys a small movie like MOON and then rates it down? Are people really buying random movies on PSN and then rating them? Surely anyone purchasing MOON should know what it is (slow-paced, intellectual sci-fi).

I also think Sony is hoping you accidentally press "buy now" instead of "rate," since those two buttons are so close together. We should be able to press triangle on a title to rate it, and we shouldn't have to bore down to the purchase screen either. Would be nice to rate something by just scanning your download list and adjusting stars there.

I'm sure the rating system has plenty more "rage" moments in store for me. It's already depressing seeing PJ Shooter beating out Eden and Monsters, and that sends the wrong message to those boys at Q Games, one they've already heard (Shooter's casual approach sells and reviews higher). For me, the magic in the PJ series has been quirky art styles + interesting soundtracks + old school difficulty. Shooter is just too easy to be fun (for me). Really wish we weren't getting Shooter 2 next. Would have preferred Eden 2 or PJ 1-5.

Shinriji

CreativeWriter said:
It's already depressing seeing PJ Shooter beating out Eden and Monsters, and that sends the wrong message to those boys at Q Games, one they've already heard (Shooter's casual approach sells and reviews higher). For me, the magic in the PJ series has been quirky art styles + interesting soundtracks + old school difficulty. Shooter is just too easy to be fun (for me). Really wish we weren't getting Shooter 2 next. Would have preferred Eden 2 or PJ 1-5.

Eden is the best PJ game IMO. A true underrated gem.

Shinriji said:
Eden is the best PJ game IMO. A true underrated gem.

I haven't been able to get into any of the Pixeljunk games. Or Flower. I think it's cool that they make those games, but none of the 'arty' stuff on PSN ever really grabs me.

Top Bottom