• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I rarely see anyone addressing the most glaring flaws of the Battlefield franchise

INC

Take apex movement (not wall running, but climbing/vaulting), dice can't do movement, their mesh for terrain is horrific, constantly get stuck on stupid shit

Bf1 visuals (clarity)

60hz+ servers

Stop giving map design to the art team

Never have thermal scopes for guns and vehicles

Stop giving OOR player's a lag advantage (they even removed this in bf1, until the ksa laggers moaned and they changed it back)

Copy cod with live service, mw has been decent in those terms. ToW was a massive fail, and premium is outdated

Create maps with MODES in mind, not try and make modes work on maps, so many trash modes that simply don't work on certain maps.

If you cant balance your own game, just give the community all the options to adjust themselves on custom rsp server's

Give RSP to a 3rd party server provider again, dice and ea have no interest in supporting it, just give it to someone else
Lack of rap options is really what's killed the community the most

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Battlefields post BC2:

bf3high-10.jpg

battlefield3_lensflarfwaud.jpg

Glaring you say? Dice be inclusive of the human eye please.
I see absolutely nothing wrong in that pictures. To be fair I literally see nothing.

Bolivar687

Banned
I don't agree at all with the series being in "free fall" since Battlefield 2. BC2 is widely regarded as a classic, BF3 was a huge evolution on many levels, and BF1 was a big moment in gaming, bringing WW1 to a fully realized AAA production. Sales wise the series has been in the top tier of gaming franchises, perhaps with a regression in BFV. I don't agree with TTK being low, it's not an arena shooter. Vehicles could be better but I don't think they're actively bad and no franchise integrates them the way BF does, not even CoD Warzone.

I would say the series has problems that ebbs and flows with respect to map design, class system, and unlocks. Some maps are better than others, and meat grinder choke points and endless fields of running are more or less of a problem on them inconsistently. The classes have been all over the place and they for sure could do a better job of having them differentiate eachother. Weapons have been a miss, too, they all just seem so similar and the endless attachments at every slot just seem meaningless. BC2 did a really good job at making each gun feel different and made you want to level them up for the attachments.

I think there is an issue with franchise fatigue, where BF4 was so similar to style to BF3 and then you follow up this bold WW1 game by going back again to WW2. With Battlefront coming out in between, there's not enough time to appreciate what each new Battlefield brings to the franchise. They should have a better schedule of realistic modern warfare with mainline BFs, tighter maps and more colorful art design with Bad Company, and big historical throwbacks like BF1.

INC

The main issue is even the devs dont know what theyre making and wont commit

Its is a arcade game, is it more serious, is it milsim? Is it for the cod crowd? What's the inspiration?

They should of stuck to their guns with bfv, and carried on with their vision after the SJW trailer, people didn't like it, fine, but it seems they then changed the whole game and content after that, and the game was dead on arrival.

You cant please everyone all the time, so stick to your origin vision, and stop listening to youtubers about a trailer, or sjw pricks.

Also if you're gonna do a historical shooter, for the love of god include maps and theatres people expect and wanna see

Ww2 and no d-day is the most retarded thing I've seen in the series so far

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
I have never felt the gameplay in BF is bad, save for grenade spam in BF1 and airplane explosives in BF5. I honestly think the gunplay is top notch. The only game with better gunplay is PUBG. IMO COD gunplay is kinda trash, but then COD is not really my thing so maybe that is why I don't like it.

Gameplay isn't just the shooting, I think you're looking at a very narrow part of the game and deciding that's the gameplay.

Geki-D

Banned
remember the commander system from BF2?
Pretty sure commander was in BF4.
Lens flare, mud on screen, excessive bloom, bloody/colorless screen when low on health, blur from suppression, overdone weather effects, etc...
I'm actually for realistic screen effects. If you're looking up at a guy on a ridge who has the sun behind him, so it's in your eyes, then in real life that guy has the advantage and that should be the case in games. Mud & water should be a high risk, high reward, senario. You get to cut through a safer zone but your get some crap in your eyes as a result. They should be environmental dangers you have to contend with.

Though the BF games tend to go OTT with them. The problem is they don't emulate what the human eye sees but rather what a camera lens sees. So you get lens flare and bloom.

V4skunk

Banned
I think the vehicles should be powerful in BF.
I think it's one of the best things about later games.
Just give infantry better anti tank weapons and more cover.

Texas Pride

Banned
My point is recent Battlefield games are so unbalanced towards vehicles that playing as a soldier isn't fun at all.

And fair point, it doesn't always work the best in Battlefront 2.

The BF series is a total war simulator in that you have full scale combat with infantry and vehicles. The vehicles in BF set the combat apart from other shooters. I can rape on a team in a tank and I have quite a bit. The caveat is there's so many ways to kill the vehicles if you really try. It's difficult to stay alive in a tank when you've pissed off the entire other team. Sometimes you have to tip your cap and take what the enemy gives you. If there's an elite vehicle user on the other team avoid them if you don't wanna deal with it. Taking out or reducing the vehicles in the BF series would make it just another generic FPS.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Rumour of BF3 remaster

How reliable is this guy? He sort of just goes on as if BF3 Remaster is a confirmed done deal. He also makes the lofty accusation that several Youtubers like Jackfrags & Westie are literal paid shills working for EA PR.

INC

As long as they get rid of the blue filter, the horrific suppression fx, and nerf the sun

I used to be a huge bf fan. Last game I bought in the series was bf4. I miss enjoying this game and I would like to enjoy it again. I voted with my wallet by leaving the game behind. Hasn’t made a difference yet but I’m here ready to go back if they make a good game again.

It's especially bad in recent Battlefields because the moment you are hit with the bullet (or even if the bullet fly past you) you will get a debuff called Suppression which blurs your screen, and your aim will be shaken if you are hit.

It's "first guy to shoot wins" taken to the extreme.
*Sigh*

I guess as budgets keep getting higher and AAA games need to appeal to mass market, we’ll see more competitive game design just boil down to handing out participation trophies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom