• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I regret spending so much of my life on gaming

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Anybody else feel this way? Sorry for the random jumble of thoughts but I hope I can get my idea across.

I've spent so much time, money, energy, emotional investment on something that just isn't fulfilling.

What makes gaming different from most other forms of entertainment is that it gives you the illusion of having accomplished something. You are constantly getting these little dopamine bursts when you make some progress. Watching progress bars fill up, leveling up, getting some new weapon or ability, unlocking an achievement, seeing your damage numbers increase, finding various collectibles, getting a rare item, etc.

Yet in the end, it means nothing. You didn't improve your life in any way. You didn't improve your social life, your physical fitness, your career, your intelligence, your sex life, your finances, your standing among your peers. You didn't learn a useful skill. You didn't take any real risk or leave your comfort zone. You didn't bring happiness to others or help those in need. You didn't add any richness to your life.

It has been a long road for me, coming to the realization that gaming does not give my life meaning. It's mindless entertainment that should be used sparingly. Gaming for me is like this endless cycle of hype and disappointment. A futile attempt to relive the excitement of when I was a kid and gaming felt so fresh and interesting.

Over the last few years I became a father, bought a house, made a major career change, and have been going to the gym 4 days a week. It's astounding how much more fulfilling all of those things are, compared to gaming. The feeling of accomplishment is so much more real and lasting. It makes me wonder who I would be today if I cut back on gaming 15 years ago.

I still game a little bit. I usually have vacation time to use up at the end of the year, so I'll take a week off and really indulge in a substantial game. Other than that, gaming has been relegated to 30-60 minute sessions here and there, if I'm tired at the end of the day and just feel like drinking a beer and having some mindless entertainment.

Anybody else make a similar realization?

Yeah, I shouldn't watch TV or listen to music, either. (I kid!)

It's a past time. Yes, some people take it too far. But, doesn't every hobby have its fanatics?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm on the opposite spectrum.
Did you have fun?
Were you entertained?
Were you at the time, doing something that made you happy.

Gaming has benefitted us all in various ways, puts us in a good mood, sometimes makes us realize things about ourselves that we formerly didn't know. I'm fresh from a 250 hours dive into Persona 5 and I'm looking for the next thing. It sounds like you are moving on from gaming.

Kounse11or

Neo Member
No. I don't game that much compared to all the other things. Like hanging out socially, my career, working out, etc.

th4tguy

I have no judgement toward your life changes and realizations. I have gone through similar things while also buying a house, becoming a father, and improving my physical health.
My ??? moment from your post though, is why you are posting about it in a major gaming forum. You don't need any of our approval to know you feel better about your life now. You do you and stay happy, where ever that leads you.

neora

The release of dopamine is the entire purpose of human existence.
There is nothing more to it than that.

Ravelle

Nah man, Games are a passion of mine, I might not finish them all but I love playing them nonetheless. I love listening to people talk about games, I love talking about games. Sure I spent more on them than I probably should have but I don't regret it.

If you want to talk about hobby purchasing regrets we can talk about buying Warhammer legion boxes. ;p

Lynchian

Over the last few years I became a father, bought a house, made a major career change, and have been going to the gym 4 days a week. It's astounding how much more fulfilling all of those things are, compared to gaming. The feeling of accomplishment is so much more real and lasting. It makes me wonder who I would be today if I cut back on gaming 15 years ago.

1365088110185.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
You didn't improve your life in any way. You didn't improve your social life, your physical fitness, your career, your intelligence, your sex life, your finances, your standing among your peers. You didn't learn a useful skill. You didn't take any real risk or leave your comfort zone. You didn't bring happiness to others or help those in need. You didn't add any richness to your life.

Why do you think video games would do any of that? It's just a enjoyable way to spend time. You might as well say reading fiction is a waste of time in that case. The problem sounds like too much video gaming, and not enough real world stuff. You could easily cut an hour out of video gaming each week and learn guitar for example?

I actually think about this often. But those things you listed about finances, social life, sex life, etc. I don't feel like I play games to the point where those other things suffer. I have a healthy sex life and I'm happy with my social life. My career is in a good place and I'm financially stable. At the same time, I want to spend my time on things that I enjoy. I enjoy playing sports and physical fitness. I enjoy watching movies and TV. I also happen to like gaming. Sure, I don't have the time to play all the games I want to, but I still play and enjoy myself. You should do things that you enjoy. Otherwise, what's the point of living?

Synless

I can’t say I personally feel the same. I always tried to make sure and balance life, family, and gaming. I spend as much time gaming as people who read and far less then people who watch TV (I don’t watch TV either). I’ve shattered my career goals, I’ve got a great family. The only regret I have as I am 25 lbs heavier than I was 8 years ago. I should hit the gym more.

Wiped89

What else are you going to do?

Watching TV. Having sex. Eating. Learning a skill. Going out. It's all fun. It's all good stuff. One day you'll die and be rotting in the ground and it will all be pretty meaningless anyway.

What else were you going to do? End world hunger?

cereal_killerxx

What else are you going to do?

Watching TV. Having sex. Eating. Learning a skill. Going out. It's all fun. It's all good stuff. One day you'll die and be rotting in the ground and it will all be pretty meaningless anyway.

What else were you going to do? End world hunger?

Unless we're here on purpose rather than on accident.

Gaming is a really fun hobby but it doesn't have a lasting satisfaction for the soul.

I think the sense of accomplishment you get out of gaming is something that you really only get when you are young. The older you get the more you realize that it is ultimately a waste of time, and just a form of entertainment.

The idea that a new video game, or new console, or new PC can fulfill you is flawed. It might distract you for a while, but only for so long. I think it is easier when you are young and in school as your only real "goal" at that time is to finish school. As long as you are doing fine in school it doesn't matter how you spend your time outside of that, as you still have that sense that you are accomplishing something.

After college though, eventually you will need to do more than just put in your 9-5 and spend the rest of your existence gaming. That is if you want to accomplish something more in life.

At the end, when you die, literally nothing means anything. Gaming is no different. It's over.

You could contribute something to the betterment of society or this planet. That or you could unlock a bunch of achievies to show off on XBL.

Aces&Eights

Disagree. Gaming helps me relax and has been a huge stress reliever for me. I was able to bond with my kid as she grew up playing games together. I also believe that I have much sharper reflexes and excel in quickly navigating around a computer due to honing my fine motor skills playing video games. I have experienced great adventures and stories and heard a buttload of awesome soundtracks, to which I listen to in my non gaming time.

Yet in the end, it means nothing. You didn't improve your life in any way. You didn't improve your social life, your physical fitness, your career, your intelligence, your sex life, your finances, your standing among your peers. You didn't learn a useful skill. You didn't take any real risk or leave your comfort zone. You didn't bring happiness to others or help those in need. You didn't add any richness to your life.

You sound incredibly jaded so you should know that all this is actually valid only for you.

People learn languages, make friends and many other great things thanks to videogames.

MoogleMan

Not me.
For me, gaming is my "happy place". I regret a lot of things that can be considered "wasteful". Gaming is not one of them.

Lucumo

I'm on the opposite spectrum.
Did you have fun?
Were you entertained?
Were you at the time, doing something that made you happy.

Gaming has benefitted us all in various ways, puts us in a good mood, sometimes makes us realize things about ourselves that we formerly didn't know. I'm fresh from a 250 hours dive into Persona 5 and I'm looking for the next thing. It sounds like you are moving on from gaming.

That was pretty much going to be my response. All that really matters is whether you had fun at the time and enjoyed life.
People have different thoughts when dying. Some can't do so in peace if they have not accomplished anything worthwhile. Others regret not spending more time with their family while others regret not enjoying life to the fulllest. It really depends on who you are and what means more to you. Personally, I don't need any "accomplishments" (those that are handed out by others), I'm completely fine with just improving myself. As long as I know that I'm doing that, I'm content.

The God

None of these things matter either. At the end of it all you'll be dead, so you might as well do whatever makes you happy.

AR15mex

Anybody else feel this way? Sorry for the random jumble of thoughts but I hope I can get my idea across.

I've spent so much time, money, energy, emotional investment on something that just isn't fulfilling.

What makes gaming different from most other forms of entertainment is that it gives you the illusion of having accomplished something. You are constantly getting these little dopamine bursts when you make some progress. Watching progress bars fill up, leveling up, getting some new weapon or ability, unlocking an achievement, seeing your damage numbers increase, finding various collectibles, getting a rare item, etc.

It has been a long road for me, coming to the realization that gaming does not give my life meaning. It's mindless entertainment that should be used sparingly. Gaming for me is like this endless cycle of hype and disappointment. A futile attempt to relive the excitement of when I was a kid and gaming felt so fresh and interesting.

I still game a little bit. I usually have vacation time to use up at the end of the year, so I'll take a week off and really indulge in a substantial game. Other than that, gaming has been relegated to 30-60 minute sessions here and there, if I'm tired at the end of the day and just feel like drinking a beer and having some mindless entertainment.

I'm right there with you OP. I'm married 2 kids, and I don't game a lot, but you know what I enjoy more?

(Please GAFFers dont hit me! hahaha)

Talking about games, I found my days listening to podcasts, videos and similiar stuff during my Workweek and has become an addiction.

LOLOLOL

That was pretty much going to be my response. All that really matters is whether you had fun at the time and enjoyed life.
People have different thoughts when dying. Some can't do so in peace if they have not accomplished anything worthwhile. Others regret not spending more time with their family while others regret not enjoying life to the fulllest. It really depends on who you are and what means more to you. Personally, I don't need any "accomplishments" (those that are handed out by others), I'm completely fine with just improving myself. As long as I know that I'm doing that, I'm content.

How does consuming entertainment products really help you with that?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
In the end, any of the things you also listed are meaningless if you reduce them to that.

Living your life isn't only about goals.
Happiness is it's own goal, and there's no wrong way to reach it. (Unless you hurt others, obviously)

sono

Buying a house makes the bank manager richer

Getting married means you are responsible for someone who will change over the years to someone else

Your children will leave home and wont care for you when you get old.

A new job means your new employer gets your talent and takes a profit.

Whats not to like.

Typhares

Gaming is like almost anything else: good in moderation and part of a balanced lifestyle.
I find it increasingly difficult to find a game that sucks me in but when I do I do not feel any guilt or that I wasted my time. Same with a movie or tv show or book. Sure these activities do not necessarily build anything useful in me but they are necessary for my happiness.

In the past though when time was more freely available I was more accommodating and willing to spend time on games I didn't even enjoy much. That I think could have been handled better but I was young and free time was not seen as a valuable currency in my life.

So if you feel you are wasting your time then yes do something else but I don't think you can look back on good times and say they were a waste.

Wiped89

Unless we're here on purpose rather than on accident.

Gaming is a really fun hobby but it doesn't have a lasting satisfaction for the soul.

I mean, we're not. But even if you thought that, what would you do differently? Preach gospel 24/7 instead? Even gospel preachers need their downtime.

Buying a house makes the bank manager richer

Getting married means you are responsible for someone who will change over the years to someone else

Your children will leave home and wont care for you when you get old.

A new job means your new employer gets your talent and takes a profit.

Whats not to like.

Hmm your right, gaming literally fixes all of these things.

giphy.gif

I don't spend 5-8 hours gaming daily

When I do it's usually about 3 or 4 times a week, often times less and it usually last for an hour or two

Same goes for movies and on demand TV shows

So no, I can't relate

IISANDERII

I just always felt I need to moderate my time playing games because time spent playing is time not spent improving your quality of life. Either health, fitness, career, relationships, knowledge etc.

Especially when I was looking for a job, I'd cut back on my gaming a ton.

Wireframe

All in moderation. Gaming alone shouldn't be fulfilling aspects of life that a healthy career/relationship/training schedule will.

SpartanN92

Banned
Yeah I regret a lot of it.

When I was a teenager I spent upwards of 4-8 hours a day on Halo 2,3 and Reach.
I had a lot of fun and made a lot of friends online but I could have spent that time learning math...life would be a lot easier now if I had :/

lesson learned

I don't. While I wasted many years playing pso, I've had friends lasting 10+ years.
I've long given up on being the best gamer I can be, min/maxing stats, beating game in the most difficult setting.

I just play for the ride and fun.

dacalo

I can understand where you are coming from OP. I am in late 30's and gaming doesn't hold my attention like it used to. Like you, we recently bought a house, have a 10 month old, etc. There are other "real life" things which take up a lot of my energy and time, and even though I enjoyed gaming greatly growing up, it's not something I really gravitate towards anymore.

If I have time, I want to sleep more (sleep deprived with the kid) or exercise. I am not a teenager anymore with no worries and there is always something that needs to be done or can be done that is tangible.

All that said, it is still a hobby of mine and I enjoy games across the Switch, PS4, and PC.

Gonna judge you by what games you were playing 15 years ago =P List em.

GodOfVG103

Neo Member
Your right and your wrong

Gaming is fun and amazing but when you start spending crap loads of money and investing tons of time in it versus more important things in your life like your career/business, social life, etc that is when it’s a problem.

When I go into the pickup thread and see just how much money people spend buying tons of games a once and they know they probably won’t even touch it for a while I smh.

This hobby can ruin your finances and social life if your not careful.

My rules
-I only buy new games after I beat all the ones I already own.
-I only play games for a few hours on the weekends
-I don’t read or look for gaming news unless i see it in this forum.

I started these rules after college and this has helped me break free from the game mania (buying loads of games that I don’t play, wasting time searching and watching gaming news)

Nope, afraid I don't feel that way, at least not anymore.

I think gaming, like any hobby, CAN become an unhealthy obsession. I'll admit when I was younger I was a bit overzealous. When I wasn't playing games (dumping quarters into arcade machines especially, yeah I'm an old fart) I was reading about technology. I realized I wasn't where I wanted to be and was ready to throw it all away. Then I got really good advice from a young woman who said I should figure out a way to turn my passion for technology into a career. It worked! I got an entry level job, clawed my way up and have enjoyed a lucrative career as a business systems programmer and sysadmin. I also married the girl who gave me the advice (21 years now). Our oldest child is a college sophomore now so life is good!

So these days I game without regret, but I keep it in perspective. It takes a back seat to primary activities in life. That means my family, my house, my job, my community and a whole bunch of other things get first priority. But once those things are done, I have no qualms at all about turning on a system and relaxing with a nice game.

oneHeero

That's your fault. Never hooked up with a chick in all cosplay? My gf doesn't play videogames but dresses up for fun on Halloween or to surprise me on my bday just cuz she thinks its hot. If you didn't play games that challenge your intellect maybe you weren't playing games for that reason so should you even complain that you aren't smarter because of games? Didn't increase your social life? How young are you? Growing up all I did was hangout with friends playing video games after school, in the summer, and on occasion now. You could meet all kinds of people in the different gaming communities that help you socialize irl whereas if lets say you don't watch much football irl but you play madden which helps you when out at dinner with another couple and football comes up as an ice breaker,

Blame yourself, not games.

Top Bottom