• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I regret spending so much of my life on gaming

Astral Dog

I Don't some of the best and most precious memories of my life have been related to gamming, however i 'regret' wasting so much time being depressed and letting others influence my life in a bad way.

RedHill

Banned
In the end it does mean something. I was entertained. I was playing something that entertained me. If you wanna hole up all day and not have a social life, that's on you. Don't try to dissect the logistics of gaming like you're a psychologist please.

This echoes that no fap subreddit of "look how woke I am! Look at all I accomplished when I didn't jerk off!" No, you can still jerk off and do stuff. It's called not being lazy.

Calibos

What makes gaming different from most other forms of entertainment is that it gives you the illusion of having accomplished something.

What other forms of entertainment do you accomplish something in? Maybe you take it all too seriously?

I don't know...I am 43, happily married with an awesome 3.5 year old who is just starting to scratch the gaming surface...why does it have to be SO important that you feel like you regret it. It's a pastime. I look forward to what little gaming time I have these days. There are times when I wonder what I could have drawn, sculpted or accomplished in the time I have spent gaming, but that is relevant in any entertainment time sink. Do you get the same feeling if you binge watch a series or go to a Sporting event for $100 a seat?

I sound like I am persecuting you...maybe try stepping away from it and picking up another hobby like crafting things or taking photos or something that has a tangible result. Build something. learn some programming, download Unreal Engine and make a game....

zsswimmer

I absolutely understand. When I was a kid I loved runescape to an unhealthy degree. It was legitimately fun but I played it way too much because it gave me a social outlet I didn't have otherwise. Some people might point out that it's a good thing, but really it probably kept me from developing those skills until much much later.

I dont really regret much stuff I've done including gaming though, theres no point. I find that if I need to change something I just do it and not worry about the what ifs. The what ifs only cause depression and shit so it's pointless. You definitely probably got some people defensive with your post lol, some of them seem to be projecting a little bit

If it is a competitive game then yes (aside from fighters which I love), but if it’s a narrative or experience type game then no. It’s like watching a movie and enjoying the emotional experience.

Wink

Not in the slightest do I feel this way. Art and stories are what fulfill me and keep me going. There's nothing more fulfilling than to engage the brain and besides studying something (the right) games are a fantastic way to do that. I've certainly learned from games just as I learned from books or movies, mostly emotional understanding, empathy, awareness. I've learned much about history, geography. On top of that games can teach to understand systems, some require mathematical thinking, problem solving.
Games can inspire to learn, I've learned english mainly because of gaming, I'm in the process of doing the same with japanese. I've looked up historical events because I encountered references in games.

Simply put it's all about how you do it and how you engage with it. There's nothing wrong with finding fulfillment in physical activities or stepping away from gaming if it feels unhealthy to you, but this same truth does not apply to everybody. Games are not just disposable, useless things.

Chozo_Lord

I don't regret gaming completely, I just regret putting too much time into certain games. Like this year I put almost 100 hours into MEA multiplayer just hoping they would patch it and make it as good as ME3 multiplayer. I really wish I gave up sooner and used that time to play one of the other amazing games that came out this year. Same with all forms of entertainment, my time is valuable so I try to spend my entertainment time on high quality things.

AlexBasch

It's pretty much why I refuse to play those "co-op, mic required, best played with friends!" kind of games, since I get kinda intense and pressured when playing with more people and tend to not have fun at all. Had my first raid in Destiny 2 and it was miserable as fuck because I fucked up things badly and had to leave since people started to get angry.

So yeah, I have been focusing on other games and decided to get a gaming PC and play only single player stuff. I had this unhealthy obsession of "I should be playing more socially" and decided I wasn't having any fun with that. Started playing Pillars of Eternity, Cuphead and Civilization V. Feeling really glad I didn't stick with something I wasn't really liking. Maybe you should have dropped the hobby or look for something different to play instead of having such a bitter opinion of something that was a waste of time for you.

To be short. It's your own fault if you feel like you wasted your life on something. You didn't get more fit, learned something on the side or done something productive? It's on you. Now those years are all behind you, will you sulk about it or try to improve? That's on you too. (It's great you improved your life, OP, this was more of a general statement for someone who feels like the above.)

shaneo632

Life is ultimately pointless so I may as well enjoy myself while I'm here, especially as I have no desire to get married, have kid etc.

It's not related to gaming (maybe I should have made a different paragraph to make the jump from gaming to general more clear), it was a general statement.

Ah well I agree with that. If you are doing something in your life to better yourself other than just gaming, then it is fine if you spend some of your free time gaming. It's only an issue when your only purpose in life is to play games, or if you claim to get all of your meaning through just games.

Gaming isn't life for anyone who isn't having a professional career in the industry...if it's more than that for anyone else, it could be a problem.

Have you read this forum? lol

Calibos

Ok...after reading through your post again, I am getting more understanding of what you are talking about.

Yet in the end, it means nothing. You didn't improve your life in any way. You didn't improve your social life, your physical fitness, your career, your intelligence, your sex life, your finances, your standing among your peers. You didn't learn a useful skill. You didn't take any real risk or leave your comfort zone. You didn't bring happiness to others or help those in need. You didn't add any richness to your life.

Different things for different people I guess.

If gaming is the thing that is getting in the way of this stuff though, especially career, sex life, finances and your standing among your peers, you should be concerned. Life balance is something people should pursue always.

Gaming isn't life for anyone who isn't having a professional career in the industry...if it's more than that for anyone else, it could be a problem.

Anybody else feel this way? Sorry for the random jumble of thoughts but I hope I can get my idea across.

I've spent so much time, money, energy, emotional investment on something that just isn't fulfilling.

What makes gaming different from most other forms of entertainment is that it gives you the illusion of having accomplished something. You are constantly getting these little dopamine bursts when you make some progress. Watching progress bars fill up, leveling up, getting some new weapon or ability, unlocking an achievement, seeing your damage numbers increase, finding various collectibles, getting a rare item, etc.

Yet in the end, it means nothing. You didn't improve your life in any way. You didn't improve your social life, your physical fitness, your career, your intelligence, your sex life, your finances, your standing among your peers. You didn't learn a useful skill. You didn't take any real risk or leave your comfort zone. You didn't bring happiness to others or help those in need. You didn't add any richness to your life.

It has been a long road for me, coming to the realization that gaming does not give my life meaning. It's mindless entertainment that should be used sparingly. Gaming for me is like this endless cycle of hype and disappointment. A futile attempt to relive the excitement of when I was a kid and gaming felt so fresh and interesting.

Over the last few years I became a father, bought a house, made a major career change, and have been going to the gym 4 days a week. It's astounding how much more fulfilling all of those things are, compared to gaming. The feeling of accomplishment is so much more real and lasting. It makes me wonder who I would be today if I cut back on gaming 15 years ago.

I still game a little bit. I usually have vacation time to use up at the end of the year, so I'll take a week off and really indulge in a substantial game. Other than that, gaming has been relegated to 30-60 minute sessions here and there, if I'm tired at the end of the day and just feel like drinking a beer and having some mindless entertainment.

Anybody else make a similar realization?

Indeed, you should stop and sit in darkness and silence immediately.

Sec0nd

Sure. I wish I had spent all the time I played games in something wortwhile. But it doesnt work like that. If it wasnt gaming it wouldve been something else “non productive”. So in the end it doesnt realy matter.

Edit: on the other hand I got my passion of making films through video games and making montages. Making films is my job now so I guess it was productive.

Astral Dog

Also gamming i wouldn't have known GAF and learned lots of different points of view about life (yes im talking about OP)

It helped me ferl like i wasn't so alone.

Gaming, like everything else, is what you make of it.

I spent most of 2002-2005 LANing Halo CE and eventually Halo 2 on XBL. I still talk to some of those guys on at least a weekly basis. One of them now lives in Hong Kong with a wife and 1 year old girl. We were all between 12-14 when we met, half a life time ago. Those were some of the best moments I had growing up and I made some life long friends; I would never look at that as a waste.

Beyond that, some games have turned me on to other topics and broadened my knowledge and introduced me to other hobbies.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
yeeeup - every day. it's my biggest guilt. i hate spending time gaming.

sure i enjoyed it growing up, but the industry and i have changed so much. its lost so much appeal to me.

but i cant quit it. actively trying to though. at least reduce the amount of time spent gaming.

i dont want my children to grow up addicted to games.

JMPerona

As a teacher, I spend almost all the day, every day of the week , trying to make others better. Gaming just give me the little everyday peace I need. It means a lot for me. It makes me happy.

HMM

Neo Member
Nothing a person can do will ever really mean anything. There is no objective purpose to life, only what we make of it.

I think people should stop being so guilty about how they spend their lives and just enjoy life as much as possible without hurting others.

tamminen

The only gaming related thing I hate is my addiction to streams. S.o. goes to bed early, hell yeah time to play video games! 3 hours later I havent even turned my playstation on and Im watching a Hearthstone stream, game that I played like 2 years ago. Same goes for Youtube, I see an interesting video and the related videos start an endless loop thatll go on for hours.

I love playing video games but for some reason I get stuck watching others play instead.

haozz

The people at the highest level of achievement in their field probably don't spend any of their time relaxing with any form of entertainment. These people are entrepreneurs, professional athletes, musicians, prestigious university faculty, C-suite executives, etc. Performance at the very top requires dedication. A lot can certainly get done when time is not spent idly.

But for the rest of us, spending some time on entertainment isn't so bad.

If I were to rank various hobbies, I suppose gaming is as worthwhile as watching television or movies, but a bit less enriching than reading. In terms of self-improvement, there are other hobbies which both entertain and as well as develop some skill. I don't know if gaming develops any skill beyond gaming itself.

Amory

That's why gaming should be reserved for when your other shit is done

Then you can play guilt free

Unfortunately I barely ever get to play these days

StewboaT_

Gaming makes me happy so I don't regret it one bit. I don't really watch much tv at all though so I just game in its place.

Mamofish

I have also found this to be a struggle growing up and realizing I could be spending my time on something more productive...

Then I just think about how we're lucky to even be alive and I should just do what I enjoy.

brawly

The past is just that, the past. You can only learn from it.

I spent so much money on Xbox Live that I could buy a car with it right now. Would I do it differently now? Yes and I am. That's what's important.

Renna Hazel

You can definitely improve your social life with gaming by making friends through video games. Entertainment and fun isn't a waste of time in my opinion, it's the thing that makes life worth living.

I'm gonna be 40 in a couple months and I still plays pretty regularly on PS4 and PC. play on my Vita and laptop while I'm on the road too. I see no reason for regret or stopping.

zeopower6

It is what you make of it. You can make gaming into something that turns into connections/lifelong friends/etc.

It should definitely be used sparingly, but recreation has its place, don't you think?

Plus gaming has many (although minor) advantages. It improves reaction times and even eyesight in cases, many games sharpen your problem solving skills, and today they even tell great stories.

Spending 5 hours a day in WoW is probably a huge waste, but I fail to see how games are worse than movies and TV shows. Probably better with a happy wife and child, though, congrats :)

The people at the highest level of achievement in their field probably don't spend any of their time relaxing with any form of entertainment. These people are entrepreneurs, professional athletes, musicians, prestigious university faculty, C-suite executives, etc. Performance at the very top requires dedication. A lot can certainly get done when time is not spent idly.

Read Alice Coopers book "Golf Monster". If you are a high-performing successful person, you NEED a pasttime that is totally different from what you normally do.

If you want to get old, that is.

True Fire

People waste their time all the time. If it’s not video games, it’s golf, poker, fantasy sports, or partying.

Obviously some time wasting activities (reading) are more productive than others, but ultimately happiness is better than pure productivity.

Having a structured, productive life doesn’t matter if you’re miserable or depressed.

Susurrus

Why regret it? It is just a form of entertainment. No different than reading (
some games ARE reading
), watching a movie (
this too
), etc, except is interactive.

When I was a kid, I liked doing it, and I honestly feel it has increased my critical thinking and reflexes as a positive side effect.

Once I got older, it became a great way to decompress. I actually saved a lot of money in my early adult life, since instead of wasting all my money in the bars, I spent my time gaming, which was significantly cheaper, which would end up allowing me to have a huge nest egg to open an investment account that has me in a very comfortable place, and is continuing to grow. Now that I'm older, I have a wife and son, have a lot more responsibility at work, but also get out a lot more, I even live abroad, travel frequently, and study (after I got my Bachelor's from part time school, I picked up Japanese). But when it comes down to it, when I do get time to game, it is a huge stress reliever. I don't play every game, and am generally slowly working through a backlog (No More Heroes atm), but they still have their place.

If they're not fun for you, that's fine, don't play them. But it is all how you view it.

Nothing we do matters, but...
If there's no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters... , then all that matters is what we do. 'Cause that's all there is. What we do. Now. Today.

Enjoy your life. Peace.

Duxxy3

Games are and always will be my passion. Been that way since before most on this board were even alive.

My dream is to get to 80 years old and still be playing video games.

gatti-man

Gaming is great as a hobby but if you let it control your life or cost you success in other things sure that's regretful but you could say that about anything. Workaholics, gym rats, drug addicts, alcoholics, gaming addicts, doing anything to excess is harmful.

wetalo

Over the last few years I became a father, bought a house, made a major career change, and have been going to the gym 4 days a week. It's astounding how much more fulfilling all of those things are, compared to gaming. The feeling of accomplishment is so much more real and lasting. It makes me wonder who I would be today if I cut back on gaming 15 years ago.

How much gaming were you doing before? Yeah it's a form of entertainment, you shouldn't dedicate every passing minute to it.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So you are trying to say that you’d have done something more productive if you had not been playing games?
No. You would have read more books, and/or watch movies or tv series more often. Maybe you would have gone to bars more often. But i guarantee you would not have been more productive.

slit

Anybody else feel this way? Sorry for the random jumble of thoughts but I hope I can get my idea across.

I've spent so much time, money, energy, emotional investment on something that just isn't fulfilling.

What makes gaming different from most other forms of entertainment is that it gives you the illusion of having accomplished something. You are constantly getting these little dopamine bursts when you make some progress. Watching progress bars fill up, leveling up, getting some new weapon or ability, unlocking an achievement, seeing your damage numbers increase, finding various collectibles, getting a rare item, etc.

It has been a long road for me, coming to the realization that gaming does not give my life meaning. It's mindless entertainment that should be used sparingly. Gaming for me is like this endless cycle of hype and disappointment. A futile attempt to relive the excitement of when I was a kid and gaming felt so fresh and interesting.

I still game a little bit. I usually have vacation time to use up at the end of the year, so I'll take a week off and really indulge in a substantial game. Other than that, gaming has been relegated to 30-60 minute sessions here and there, if I'm tired at the end of the day and just feel like drinking a beer and having some mindless entertainment.

Anybody else make a similar realization?

Most of those things would be more fulfilling than any hobby but let's face some cold, hard truths: none of those things are really remarkable. Most people do those things a one point or another. You did nothing extraordinary unless you left out some important notes there.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
It should definitely be used sparingly, but recreation has its place, don't you think?

Plus gaming has many (although minor) advantages. It improves reaction times and even eyesight in cases, many games sharpen your problem solving skills, and today they even tell great stories.

Spending 5 hours a day in WoW is probably a huge waste, but I fail to see how games are worse than movies and TV shows. Probably better with a happy wife and child, though, congrats :)

Yeah there is nothing wrong with mindless recreation here and there. Everybody needs a little downtime. I think I said as much in my OP. You don't need to spend every waking minute doing something productive.

And yeah there are benefits to gaming. I'd say that most games are an optimization problem. They teach you to be analytical. They make you really good at filtering out noise and identifying relevant variables/patterns. But for me personally, I feel like those are things I learned in my teens and I'm not really getting anything else out of them now.

Sotha_Sil

It's not the most productive use of your time, no, but neither is other media found on a screen. If I'm going to enjoy some entertainment on a screen, I'd rather have it be something that can challenge me to think critically. This explains why I like games focusing on "player agency" (Prey, Dishonored, Hitman), choice and consequence (New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, Witcher 3) or puzzles (The Witness, Limbo, etc). Then you have some truly artful games like Shadow of the Colossus.

This is also why I largely ignore the linear, cinematic style of games.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
How much gaming were you doing before? Yeah it's a form of entertainment, you shouldn't dedicate every passing minute to it.

I mean, I wasn't a hermit who holed up playing video games 10 hours a day. But there was definitely SO MUCH emotional investment in it. To the point that the next big JRPG, the next video card, the next game system was THE thing that kept me going and made me excited for the future.

Spman2099

I don't regret a single second of playing any game that I enjoyed. There have definitely been some games I forced myself to play through; I do sorta regret those. That being said, I also regret wasting my time on certain shitty albums, books, and movies too.

*shrug*

I work out somewhat regularly, but I wouldn't want to replace movies with running. Hell, if I could only choose one or the other I would just embrace the gut.

I also reject the notion that games are mindless. There are some extremely thoughtful games out there. There are games that provide a genuinely beautiful, meaningful experience.

Noctilum

I don’t. I found the woman of the dreams at 33 and stopped the hardcore gaming then. If I had gone out and gotten a life before that I probably never would have gotten her.

Top Bottom