• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I still can't believe someone greenlighted FFXV story.

D.Final

Banned
Now I give my opinion of the plot of Final Fantasy XV.
And also of its entire narrative universe.

For me, the plot of Final Fantasy XV (as well as its extraordinary Lore) are spectacular and epic.

84ev7SS.jpg

If we talk about the game, in general, considering everything, for me it is one of the best Final Fantasy ever made.
(and it is for me like other masterpieces, like Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy IX)

If we talk about the history of its development, we must instead make a very long speech.
(which, however, I will try to summarize better)

The project was born as a concept of Versus XIII, a project entrusted to Nomura since 2006.
Nomura has failed to manage this project in a functional and / or logical way.
So, concept, world, and characters have been reworked to become a new and unprecedented project, Final Fantasy XV.
[announced together with KH 3, during E3 2013, for the announcement of PS4]
Managed by Tabata and the BD2 team.
(Buisness Division 2)

The new project, like triple A game (and multimedia), only had about 3 years of development to be completed for 2016.
(And, also to try to help the team to grasp what the public and fan preferences were, numerous questionnaires were made [like the demo Duscae] on how or what they preferred in the field, above all, of the gameplay.

Overall, the game was designed to be a multimedia universe.
This implies following many media, like movies, anime, etc ..., to capture every single aspect of the narrative universe of the game.

There are those who liked this idea.
(such as me)
But there are also those who have not taken this idea/initiative well.

Overall, the game sold more than 8 million copies worldwide.
Becoming the third most sold Final Fantasy ever.

And, from my point of view (since I'm a fan of the saga already from Final Fantasy I, and I've played them all) I'm extremely happy that a game that I loved has had the success it deserves.
Bring prosperity to the saga.

So, having said this, I love the plot of Final Fantasy XV.

And I can not wait to continue to follow his narrative universe with Episode Ardyn :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Last edited:

base

Banned
Remember SquareEnix's CEO sayibg that FF7 remake could take 20 years to be remade? FFXV is just the beginning.

frogger

I'd say the story in XV is substantially worse than that of XIII even though the characters and their interactions in XV are more enjoyable.
The plot of XIII isn't particularly good or well written but once you get past the silly terms and names it's presented in a competent way even though the ending is stupid.
In XV the majority of the plot happens off screen with the game not even bothering to explain things. The whole invasion and the death of the king? Off screen (well, in a movie you have to buy), the backstory and motivations of the villain? Off screen and only vaguely explained, the fall of the empire? off screen and only vaguely explained, Lunas entire story? off screen and vaguely explained, the darkness arriving and the whole world going to shit? off screen and only vaguely explained, etc, etc.
Maybe someone could make the argument that having the perspective be set on the main character and then having him miss some big events instead of being at the center of everything could be unique and interesting. But then you'd need the writing to be a WHOLE lot better than what's there.

I'd put Square right there next to Ubisoft as the AAA studio with the worst writers. Most recent Square games with enjoyable stories/writing have either just been published by them or made by external people like Yoko Taro.

The problem with the latest FF stories is that they are unnecessarily convoluted. A good game should be able to tell the story by playing through the game, not requesting you to read an extra comic or 10 page long background document or watch a movie.

Fbh

The problem with the latest FF stories is that they are unnecessarily convoluted. A good game should be able to tell the story by playing through the game, not requesting you to read an extra comic or 10 page long background document or watch a movie.

That's honestly a problem often seen in japanese storytelling.
It obviously doesn't apply to everything but be it anime, manga or videogames, some japanese writers have this idea that convoluted = deep

nowhat

That's honestly a problem often seen in japanese storytelling.
It obviously doesn't apply to everything but be it anime, manga or videogames, some japanese writers have this idea that convoluted = deep
I agree. That's not a criticism as such, it's part of the charm - but there's an inherent convolutedness/silliness involved.

Which is also why I prefer JP audio when available. It's not that the events that occur would be less silly, they are not; but just reading it, instead of hearing it, makes it more bearable.

royox

There are those who liked this idea.
(such as me)
But there are also those who have not taken this idea/initiative well

There are people delusional enough to like an uncompleted mess that requires a 69$ game + a movie + an official guide + an anime + 30€ on DLC's + 15 more on a multiplayer mode + a 3 years old DLC + an anime precuel for the 3 years old DLC + cutscenes added years later to solve the mess they released on day 1 and that will be forever uncomplete now that we know that DLCs that were going to explain CRUCIAL plot points have been forever cancelled.

And there are people that expect a finished and complete product when they pay 69 bucks for a game.

If I had paid 10 bucks for FFXV (the price at witch the game is totally worth it, even if it's only to witness how shitty it can be) maybe I would even like it for the mess it was. But I'm one of the idiots who bought it Day 1 expecting a complete and finished game because even if it's a game like FFXIII I know I will enjoy the ride...that's why this game has "8 million sales", most of them were from the first days, before we knew it was shit. And after 2 months you could get the game for less than 30 bucks, and now for less than 10 with the royal edition. That's how shitty this game is.

Dontero

Banned
I think it is not even worth putting XIII and XV in same category.

XIII problem was similar but entirely of different type.

XIII problem was that execution of story was compartmentalized into small bits that happened over course of later part of story as recollection of events (13 days). Not only it totally killed any kind of pacing through first 3/4 of game but it totally confused everyone what story is even about.

Non linear storyprogression is widely used in cinema and i understand what they wanted to do, but the problem here is that if you use such tool to tell your story you really really really need to focus on how it is delivered to make proper sense. You need to make sure that viewer will understand what comes after what and so on.
Good example of that is Memento where whole story is exactly that, story starts from end and then it is gradually put together as series of events and recolections which take viewer on journey to how this happened.

In case of FFXIII that procedure completely failed because they did not go from Day 1 to 13 but almost randomly choose to what focus on. Leaving aside this tool that was ill used you had 50-60 hours of boring corridors with only those 13 days presenting you anything of value to storymaking but the story was complete, there was no part here that was unknown aside from minor details.

Where game started to live and shown that is actually good game was Pulse where you got past those 13 days and you finally gave player agency and reason to follow story properly since player and lighting experience events as they go. This naturally didn't save game because Pulse is only like 1/3 part of game and rest of it are those horrible corridors and illogically put together events that confuse player.

FFXV has similar issue. It is execution failure of actually good idea but the problem lies here that game is simply not finished. Game is completely linear and goes from event A to event B to event C without diverging and confusing player as events happen by. What confuses player is simply content that is not there to explain what is happening on screen and by that failing to deliver pacing that makes sense and attachment to what is actually happening on screen because parts of story critical to understanding and actually caring about what is happening are simply cut out of the game.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
NieR Automata's weapon story did better job telling us the relationship between Noctis and his father.
engine-blade-nier.jpg

Jigsaah

Gold Member
NieR Automata's weapon story did better job telling us the relationship between Noctis and his father.
engine-blade-nier.jpg

Damn i love Nier. just the whole style of the menu's was a really unique treat to me. I should rebuy it on Xbox to get the "definitive" version (on console).

Speaking of which, anybody know how FFXV runs on PC? I was mildly impressed with the X enhancement and the options it provided.

Top Bottom