• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Switch brings mutual perfection to a long-standing issue

ronpontelle

Neo Member
I'm the same as many on here.

I can't overstate how much the hybrid nature of the Switch has changed my gaming.

I've got my newborn son sleeping on my lap and I'm playing Picross! I know this isn't new per se, but at this quality and with 'home console' experiences too, it's changed things greatly.

Hadn't picked up a PS4 game on release day for years, but since getting the Switch I've got Zelda, MK8, Splatoon, M+R, FIFA, Minecraft, Sonic, Picross and The Flame in the Flood at launch.

I bloody love it!! There are the usual maddening decisions from Nintendo, especially with the infrastructure and peripheral costs, but it does so much right. I can't remember loving a console this much since the 16bit generation then I was a child!

Chessr

I use mine 50/50 docked and portable. I also play a lot more because of it.
I use it portable at home
I use it on plane
I use it on a bar
:)

nampad

best gaming console ever, its really feels like a revolution hardware for video games.

It's a tablet meant for gaming.

NIntendo put all there best ideas that they already created and shoved it all together for this console and it really shows.

There's still a lot of criticism i have for the system, but the technology for it, is still mind blowing.

Funny how you compare it to a tablet when the Switch lacks any multimedia capabilities besides gaming.

Funny how you compare it to a tablet when the Switch lacks any multimedia capabilities besides gaming.

Yea he said it was meant for gaming. Are those tablets made for little kids not tablets since they lack any multimedia capabilities? What about those eReaders made specifically for reading without other features. A tablet doesn’t need all different kinds of multimedia capabilities.

When two GOTY contenders are rendered on a handheld unit, I can't see how one could argue that the Switch doesn't bring anything new to the table. Sure it's not for everyone and some compromises had to be made to achieve this, but for me personally every drawback the Switch has is dwarfed by the fact that I can play games like BOTW and Mario Odyssey on my terms.

_PsiFire_

I definitely play more games now, because of the Switch.

When you have a 4 and a 3 year old, I can tell you, your gaming time goes out the window. You get maybe an hour or two to yourself daily and normally that time gets taken up by your wife and / or more shit to do around the house.

With my Switch:
- I may play it on my lunch break at work for half an hour.
- I sneak in some game time while the wife watches TV (this could also be done with Wii U)
- I bring it to the trailer (redneck cottage) on weekends without any hassle.

That's what I normally do with mine. Best part is, I can sit it on a table and play Mario Kart via joy-cons with my son if we have some spare cycles.

Hell, the other day I returned a purchase at a store and they gave me a credit note. I pulled out my Switch while my wife looked for a pair of boots with that credit and the kids were watching movies on their tablets.

wazoo

When two GOTY contenders are rendered on a handheld unit, I can't see how one could argue that the Switch doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Two quality titles. Just tell me what can be done with those games on the switch that would not be possible elsewhere (like on wiiU). More precisely, would those games be less rated on other hardware ?

Yes, both games are GOTY.

Yes, the switch is a great console.

But both items are completely unrelated.

OCD Guy

Two quality titles. Just tell me what can be done with those games on the switch that would not be possible elsewhere (like on wiiU). More precisely, would those games be less rated on other hardware ?

When was the last time a handheld gaming device had two potential GOTY contenders in the same year?

It doesn't matter if other hardware is capable of it.

When someone praises Horizon, do people say "It's good but what does the PS4 do with Horizon that couldn't be done elsewhere?" Also I'm not sure why you ask whether a game would be less rated on other hardware? If a game is good it's good, the platform is irrelevant, unless someone is a blinded fanboy. I loved Ratchet and Clank, I'd still have loved it the same if I was playing it on an Xbox.

I get it that some people don't see any value or merit in the switch and that's fine. But as a handheld device the Switch is awesome. That (along with the hybrid functionality) is what makes it awesome for so many people. The portable Playstations were meant to bring console quality games to a device you can take anywhere but they missed the mark, the Switch is actually doing that.

As a console connected to the tv it starts to just become a worse version of existing consoles. Especially for people who don't like Nintendo games. Take a game like Doom, if the Switch was tv only, it would make picking it up far less compelling. You'd be paying more for a worse version. But being able to play the full game of doom anywhere you like? Some people see value in that.

I still can't understand why some people (not necessarily you) are struggling to understand why some people don't want to be tethered to one spot to game. It's the same reason desktop pc's are dying for the average Joe. But some people seem to think a portable device only has merit if you take it out of the house. Don't those same people realise not everyone buys a laptop to take it outside of the house lol.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I play mine 90% docked. I live in LA, so it's not like I take public transportation around.

I do wish their were more games and indies, but it's a young system. I don't get where the argument hypothetical VC titles would canabalize sales of anything else. I am looking forward to VS Super Mario Brothers after Super Mario Odessey.

Laieon

100% agree. Feel like I've played more games this year than I have in awhile and a big part of that is due to the portability of the system. I use it handheld a good 90% of the time.

TheMink

I absolutely love it, but please Nintendo go all out on virtual console.

My second request would be to port every WiiU and 3DS game. I’m on the fence about Metroid Superstar Saga and Pokemon all because it would be great if I never had to turn on my 3DS again but hey, baby steps.

erlim

My second request would be to port every WiiU and 3DS game. I’m on the fence about Metroid Superstar Saga and Pokemon all because it would be great if I never had to turn on my 3DS again but hey, baby steps.

I agree with this. I've seen arguments here that "if you didn't support Nintendo for WiiU, than you don't deserve those games." But, come on. Why would you not want to spread the love. There's so many WiiU games that people who are having a profound religious experience with Switch have not played. The Switch's library would go down in history with WiiU's gems. I love having all my games on a microSD card being able to switch on the fly.

I have a first generation 3DS and it's a bit hard to look at. Like I said, I play switch mostly docked, so I'd love to have some of those experiences on the TV screen. HD versions of 3DS games work---I had a fun time beating Resident Evil Revelaitons on PS4.

lol

Mr_Moogle

It's telling that my PS4 Pro is sitting there collecting dust in what has actually been a great year for the console. I just can't seem to walk away from playing my Switch. In addition to a host of really solid first party titles, the console is killing it with indies atm.

For me personally, I love the portability but I think it's more about the quality of the software available. It's had such a strong first year already and Super Mario Odyssey hasn't even been released yet. I hope like hell they can continue this momentum.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I definitely play more games now, because of the Switch.

When you have a 4 and a 3 year old, I can tell you, your gaming time goes out the window. You get maybe an hour or two to yourself daily and normally that time gets taken up by your wife and / or more shit to do around the house.

With my Switch:
- I may play it on my lunch break at work for half an hour.
- I sneak in some game time while the wife watches TV (this could also be done with Wii U)
- I bring it to the trailer (redneck cottage) on weekends without any hassle.

That's what I normally do with mine. Best part is, I can sit it on a table and play Mario Kart via joy-cons with my son if we have some spare cycles.

Hell, the other day I returned a purchase at a store and they gave me a credit note. I pulled out my Switch while my wife looked for a pair of boots with that credit and the kids were watching movies on their tablets.

... so Switch invented potable gaming? What am I reading?

And where were all you people when the Vita needed some sales?!

sphinx

the piano man
you know everything is fine and dandy with the switch... I just wished it would take off like the DS, softwarewise :/ all I see is a very reduced selection of €59.99 games in stores,

I think it sorely lacks variety in its offerings, it feels like it's either mega AAA super metacritic score or digital-only indies, very few in-between games that are worth mentioning.

with cards being expensive and games needing to be donwgraded, I am not too thrilled about Switch's future offerings. That is, if 3rd parties were to jump on board eventually, which remains to be seen.

no doubt I'll enjoy my zelda/mario/metroid trifecta when I jump in, but this is par for the course with nintendo, buy 1 major game, forget their hardware for several months and then repeat.

I just bought a 256 GB card yesterday before they sold out on Amazon and went back up in price, but one odd thing is that I seem to get stocked about Nintendo hardware right when their storage solution to max out capacity is still expensive.

I'm pretty sure eventually, those 32GB cards will get cheaper and we won't see the shenanigans being pulled this year in the future.

Si2k78

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly satisfied with their offerings so far this gen.

But I do think Nintendo will start to implement more standard industry practices as time goes on this cycle. Hopefully it doesn't interfere too much with their flagship titles though.

I doUbt that. They’ve always done things their own way despite a more profitable and obvious option being available when it comes to revenue geerarion. That stuborness is what defines Nintendo, for better or for worst.

Unlike the Wii U, the Switch is rendering the games on the handheld unit. That means you are not tethered to the TV and thus don't need internet or a power outlet to enjoy the games. Just like a Vita or a 3DS, except the content is on another level from those (great) systems, and you have important console features like 4 player games on a big screen.

... so Switch invented potable gaming? What am I reading?

And where were all you people when the Vita needed some sales?!

To be fair, as great as the Vita was, it didn't have killer apps in its first year like Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon and Mario, which explains a lot of the difference in sales and mindshare.

DigSCCP

The portable Playstations were meant to bring console quality games to a device you can take anywhere but they missed the mark, the Switch is actually doing it.

Is it?
If you put in a Nintendo reality yeah it is.
If you put in comparission with other plataforms no it isn't.
The only reason why portable Playstations didn't bring "console quality" to them its because they always had a more powerful real Playstation console among them.

OCD Guy

Is it?
If you put in a Nintendo reality yeah it is.
If you put in comparission with other plataforms no it isn't.
The only reason why portable Playstations didn't bring "console quality" to them its because they always had a more powerful real Playstation console among them.

Doom, Wolfenstein, Skyrim, L.A Noire? In terms of content they are console quality. Yes Doom runs at a lower framerate but it's the same game.

Look at Vita, it had Killzone, and Uncharted but they were watered down games in comparison to the console versions.

If GTA V ever appeared on the Switch I bet my ass it would be the EXACT same game as console versions, what were handheld versions of GTA like again? Nintendo had china town, and then we had cut down versions on portable playstations.

I'm not sure what you mean about in comparison to other platforms the Switch isn't equal? Content wise it absolutely is, graphics of course it isn't but then PS4 and Xbox One aren't comparable to PC either if we're using graphics as the benchmark.

Doom, Wolfenstein, Skyrim, L.A Noire? In terms of content they are console quality. Yes Doom runs at a lower framerate but it's the same game.

Look at Vita, it had Killzone, and Uncharted but they were watered down games in comparison to the console versions.

If GTA V ever appeared on the Switch I bet my ass it would be the EXACT same game as console versions, what were handheld versions of GTA like again? Nintendo had china town, and then we had cut down versions on portable playstations.
You're forgetting nba 2k18 which in my opinion is the better example, it's the exact same feature wise on all thre consoles only the visuals and frame rate is reduced.

OCD Guy

You're forgetting nba 2k18 which in my opinion is the better example, it's the exact same feature wise on all thre consoles only the visuals and frame rate is reduced.

Yeah good point. But that doesn't count compared to other platforms apparently.

A game isn't "console" quality if the graphics aren't equal....

OryoN

Switch is such an awesome console to own. It does exactly what it set out to do, and does it exceptionally well.

Just yesterday, I was able to participate in Splatoon 2's Splatfest, though I was at work(my playtime was limited, but still way better than nothing!) Normally, in the original game on Wii U, my only choice would be to make it home from my late shift, with just enough time for a few late-night sessions before Splatfest ends.

Switch is so convenient to play that I'm felling rather spoiled; whether I'm playin in bed, at the dinner table, on my break at work, or simply laid out on the couch with split joy-con in hand, selecting whatever position is most comfortable for me... the console simply just conforms to my current situation. This is quite profound, because in all my 30+ years of gaming, it's the gamer who've had to conform, based on where the console is located, and/or how to maximize playtime while doing other things.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
6 months in and it's Nintendo's best console. Not kidding. For fucks sake I am buying THIRD PARTIES ON A NINTENDO SYSTEM! Like, I do not care if it's 4k or cutting edge, I can play Fifa and Xenoverse 2 anywhere at a decent enough quality. That's good enough for me. Especially with my lifestyle. Game changer!

"Console quality" - whatever that means - is nothing new on handhelds and the Switch-versions of third-party-AAA-games still feel like downgraded handheld ports.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
To be fair, as great as the Vita was, it didn't have killer apps in its first year like Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon and Mario, which explains a lot of the difference in sales and mindshare.

Well it depends on your genre of choice. But I understand what you're saying. I'm addressing those who are saying how great it is to play indie games on the couch while wife is watching TV, on the go, etc. You could do all that on the Vita years ago.

Interfectum

Agree with the OP. The Switch is a game changer for me. Perfect blend of console and handheld gaming.

Switch + PC Gaming is god tier.

OCD Guy

"Console quality" - whatever that means - is nothing new on handhelds and the Switch-versions of third-party-AAA-games still feel like downgraded handheld ports.

It is something new on a handheld as far as I know. Unless I missed the handheld by Sony and Nintendo in the past that had the same games as the console versions.

I don't agree with your generalisation either that third party games feel like downgraded handheld ports. Some of them absolutely, but that's on the developers, and a case by case basis. A game like Fifa is obviously missing features but that doesn't apply to every game.

Anyway there's people that see no value in the Switch at all, for reasons such as "the machine is trash", "home to downgraded handheld ports", "who wants to play a handheld at home", "Nintendo has no games", and whatever other reason someone has, and that's honestly ok. I don't see value in certain things, but I guess the difference is there are certain people on this forum that despite having apparently no interest in the Switch, seem to spend all their time reading and posting on Switch threads.....Obviously people can do what they want in their own time, I just find it weird that people waste time on something they have no interest in.

NBA 2K18 is exactly the same game as the PS4 version except for 30 fps, Doom is exactly the same minus the resolution. It's not like Super Mario Bros ---> Super Mario Land.

And regarding handhelds, the original post mentioned that it just felt strange to get console-quality handheld games. In some cases, while we were waiting on a game to hit a console, it hit the handheld instead (Mario Golf skipped both Wii and Wii U and came on 3DS, for example, and I bet people were wanting a console Mario Golf game too). Resident Evil Revelations, Tearaway, and Metal Gear are good examples of games that were so good on handhelds, they got a console port. Switch eliminates both of these issues, if you have the game, you just have the game, regardless of whether you want it on a handheld or on a console.

Well it depends on your genre of choice. But I understand what you're saying. I'm addressing those who are saying how great it is to play indie games on the couch while wife is watching TV, on the go, etc. You could do all that on the Vita years ago.

Yea that's true. I guess a lot of Switch owners on GAF didn't own a Vita.

sneas78

Banned
No, this is incredibly situational and not worthy of mention and praise. My gaming time is limited enough and i have a tv to play (and yes, this includes my switch). I don't want to take it to bed. Or to the dentist, the bathroom or the garage. And in the event i need to pause my game and leave for whatever reason, i won't torture myself for not taking my game on the go with me because i have self control. You people sound like fanatics and addicts. "HOW CAN I SURVIVE WITHOUT ZELDA ON THE GO, I NEED TO TALK TO MY FIANCEE IN THE BEDROOM FOR TEN MINUTES, THE HORROR"
Lol.. I would say they are passionate gamers. But it’s a fine line.

Asd202

NBA 2K18 is exactly the same game as the PS4 version except for 30 fps, Doom is exactly the same minus the resolution. It's not like Super Mario Bros ---> Super Mario Land.

Actually Doom is 30FPS on Switch and I'm pretty sure it's not only resolution that is worse but also graphics quality as a whole. The question in this type of games is would your rather have better performance and graphics quality (in some cases a substantial difference) or portability.

nampad

I'm not sure what you mean about in comparison to other platforms the Switch isn't equal? Content wise it absolutely is, graphics of course it isn't but then PS4 and Xbox One aren't comparable to PC either if we're using graphics as the benchmark.

Skyrim and LA Noire are last gen ports, Vita had the same content complete and expanded last gen ports like Persona 4: Golden or Final Fantasy X / X2, MGS Collection.

Vita also got content complete same gen multiplatforms like Borderlands 2 or Need for Speed Most Wanted.

Also, Killzone Mercenaries was way better than Shadowfall.

But yeah, keep telling yourself only the Switch has those console quality games while everything else before was watered down.

sneas78

Banned
Skyrim and LA Noire are last gen ports, Vita had the same content complete and expanded last gen ports like Persona 4: Golden or Final Fantasy X / X2, MGS Collection.

Vita also got content complete same gen multiplatforms like Borderlands 2 or Need for Speed Most Wanted.

But yeah, keep telling yourself only the Switch has those console quality games while everything else before was watered down.

I’m agree with this. And killzone Mercenaries was and still is a marvel wonder. What they pulled off on the vita.
However we did miss out on a lot of games the PSP got .. God of war, grand turismo.. etc.

nampad

I’m agree with this. And killzone Mercenaries was and still is a marvel wonder. What they pulled off on the vita.
However we did miss out on a lot of games the PSP got .. God of war, grand turismo.. etc.

As much as I love the PSP, which got a lot of great console-like games, the missing second analog stick already dismisses it in offering a console like experience for me.
I could simply not enjoy those PSP games because of the controls.

OCD Guy

The Vita also had Rayman Legends too to add to your list.

Look I didn't mean no handheld has ever had the same version of a game as a console, but from where I'm standing the Switch is going to be home to more parity with consoles across games, than any handheld before it.

The thing is there are people on the other side of the fence who are trying to portray the Switch as home to nothing but watered down games that can't compare to their console counterpart, and that isn't true.

Anyway time will tell what happens......

nampad

The Vita also had Rayman Legends too to add to your list.

Look I didn't mean no handheld has ever had the same version of a game as a console, but from where I'm standing the Switch is going to be home to more parity with consoles across games, than any handheld before it.

The thing is there are people on the other side of the fence who are trying to portray the Switch as home to nothing but watered down games that can't compare to the console counterpart, and that isn't true.

Anyway time will tell what happens......

And you are not doing the same regarding the Vita?

YYDeckard

Neo Member
I have an OLED Vita - I bought it precisely for one game, my mates' game - TxK which it is perfect on but I struggled after nosing through it's library to find anything else I like. Whenever I look at its Top 40 games I find very few arcade twin stick shooters, decent platformers or Tower Defense.Its strange really but in all these years from the Gameboy on N has owned the handheld market. I have an iPhone 6 butbh most iOS games are just awful with touch controls - Nothing beats a physical controller. I now find it weird having to sit in front of a TV or display to actually play a game, seems so....well...... old fashioned ?

OCD Guy

And you are not doing the same regarding the Vita?

Yeah I was to be fair. That comes from my disappointment in it. I was expecting to get a lot more "console experiences" on the go, and it didn't deliver. There were some, but not as many as I wanted. The Switch so far seems set to offer far more than there were on previous portable devices, but as I said time will tell what happens. If the worst comes and the Switch support starts fading, it would have been worth it for the exclusive games.

I personally prefer gaming on a handheld, I've wanted nothing more than to have proper console experiences on a portable device. I still remember playing Virtua Tennis for the first time on the PSP, it was as if my dreams had come true. But over time the library was just a disappointment for me personally.

My dream would be to have a portable playstation that has access to the exact same games as the PS4., natively though, not remote play.

schlynch

I'm still not sold on the system. Portable gaming is completely irrelevant for me. With Mario releasing soon I would really like to buy a Switch (or say: play the game) but just thinking about having another unused tablet standing around collecting dust (same as with the WiiU) makes me not want to buy the system. On the other hand there is nothing except Mario that I would miss so I can live with it. Still hoping for a stationary edition in the future though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Yeah... I honestly feel exactly about my Switch as I did my PSP and Vita. It's... not actually any different. Nintendo just managed to sell it way better than Sony ever did.

erlim

I don't think anybody minds the reduced frame rate. It's still solid at 30 fps.

Top Bottom