• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Switch brings mutual perfection to a long-standing issue

I like my switch. It’s been a good purchase for Zelda alone and I’m really looking forward to Mario.

But I feel like I’m missing something crucial because for me it’s not nearly been the revelatory experience as it seemingly is for so many here on gaf.

I like it too for the same reasons but for an opposite goal. I never use the Switch as a handheld and hated how good ideas like Mario Golf and Luigi’s Mansion were wasted on tiny screens with limited power. Now, everything goes to the same hybrid platform where everyone gets what they want.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I'm still not sold on the system. Portable gaming is completely irrelevant for me. With Mario releasing soon I would really like to buy a Switch (or say: play the game) but just thinking about having another unused tablet standing around collecting dust (same as with the WiiU) makes me not want to buy the system. On the other hand there is nothing except Mario that I would miss so I can live with it. Still hoping for a stationary edition in the future though.

When you actually get a switch, you will turn. I'm pretty sure nobody here expected it to make their ps4 obsolete, but here we are.

It is stationary. It's a tablet, it's both. You can dock it, that's the whole point of this thread. Trust us, you will absolutely love the Switch. There is no way it will collect dust.

Skyrim and LA Noire are last gen ports, Vita had the same content complete and expanded last gen ports like Persona 4: Golden or Final Fantasy X / X2, MGS Collection.

Vita also got content complete same gen multiplatforms like Borderlands 2 or Need for Speed Most Wanted.

Also, Killzone Mercenaries was way better than Shadowfall.

But yeah, keep telling yourself only the Switch has those console quality games while everything else before was watered down.

This is almost laughable. Keep telling yourself how great those console Vita ports were without a full set of buttons needed for those games. No one wanted to play gimped handheld versions on the vita. Skyrim is the current gen version ported over. And L.A Noire is “content complete” and “enhanced” just like the One/PS4 versions.

NimbusD

People who don't care for switch really gloss over the fact that it's a hybrid. It really is the best feature. Not that it's never been done before, but this is designed for it. It switches in a second and you don't have to go searching for a controller, a cable, or even the right channel or input cuz of CEC. It's removed any trouble there could have been.

Feel like it's overlooked because so often people have to revert to calling it a handheld due to the people constantly knocking it because of 'weak' graphics. Which is true, the brains of it are entirely mobile, but the experience isn't.

Cramoss

It's a good system (I have one now) but I fail to see what makes it that different and special to any other portable we've had in the past.

Is it the TV thing? Because I really don't know

Actually Doom is 30FPS on Switch and I'm pretty sure it's not only resolution that is worse but also graphics quality as a whole. The question in this type of games is would your rather have better performance and graphics quality (in some cases a substantial difference) or portability.

You're right about DOOM.

This is so weird to me, because I said that if there's ANY graphical downgrades on Switch, I would get my PS4 Pro version, and today, I still will, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking would I actually make more progress in the Switch version of the game.

DigSCCP

Doom, Wolfenstein, Skyrim, L.A Noire? In terms of content they are console quality. Yes Doom runs at a lower framerate but it's the same game.

Look at Vita, it had Killzone, and Uncharted but they were watered down games in comparison to the console versions.

If GTA V ever appeared on the Switch I bet my ass it would be the EXACT same game as console versions, what were handheld versions of GTA like again? Nintendo had china town, and then we had cut down versions on portable playstations.

I'm not sure what you mean about in comparison to other platforms the Switch isn't equal? Content wise it absolutely is, graphics of course it isn't but then PS4 and Xbox One aren't comparable to PC either if we're using graphics as the benchmark.

You mean like Borderlands 2, MK, Xcom, Sly Cooper Thieves in Time and many other games Vita shared with PS3 or even going further like Valkyrie Revolution that it´s a PS4/One game ?
Porting some current gen games with compromises and last gen games with bonus on a portable is not a new thing.
When you talk about KZ and Uncharted you just confirm my point.
They look like watered down games...because we have KZ3 and Uncharted 2&3 deliverying a superior experience because they are developed for stronger plataforms.
Even if those games were developed by ND and GG themselves they would still feel like watered down experiences.
GTAV is a last gen game. Just like LA Noire.
Content wise it hold up well only in comparasion with Nintendo plataforms, because a long ago they decided to stop caring about having horse power.
So when they decided to launch a portable device that feels slighty superior to their previous home console that was already 8 years late for the HD party of course it would hold up well.
In a imaginary world where Nintendo released a PS4 hardware level in 2013 and made a MK designed for it and then released Switch in 2017 with MK Switch beeing this WiiU port version it would be a watered game just like KZ Mercenary.
And just to be clear I´m not trying to downplay Switch here.
I think Nintendo did a wonderful job putting pieces togheter to work around their problem with home consoles putting it togheter with their sucessful portable plataforms.
It´s the first Nintendo plataform I´m looking foward cautiously after a long period. My last Ninty plataform was a Cube.
But saying that it holds well in content on a "console quality" it´s something that doesnt make sense. At least for now.

You know what makes the Switch so special too? And someone mentioned it earlier.

There are TWO contenders for GOTY on Switch in the same year (Zelda and Mario), and BOTH can be played on a portable.

What time we live in that a technical handheld is in this situation.

OCD Guy

It's a good system (I have one now) but I fail to see what makes it that different and special to any other portable we've had in the past.

Is it the TV thing? Because I really don't know

For me personally it's the library. I've not owned a portable device (which is how I use the Switch) with games the quality of BOTW, Odyssey and Mario Kart shortly after launch.

I know a lot of people get caught up on hardware, and the platform itself, but all I care about is the games.

That's one of the reasons I'm in two minds over my One X pre-order. Where are the (exclusive) games that I want to play?!

My concern with the Switch is next year onwards, I worry that Nintendo have blown their load too early. Nothing announced for 2018 interests me at all. Unless anything changes I might even be tempted to sell it....

The PS4 is the only console that has had a constant stream of exclusives that I want to play.

Asriel

I'm still not sold on the system. Portable gaming is completely irrelevant for me. With Mario releasing soon I would really like to buy a Switch (or say: play the game) but just thinking about having another unused tablet standing around collecting dust (same as with the WiiU) makes me not want to buy the system. On the other hand there is nothing except Mario that I would miss so I can live with it. Still hoping for a stationary edition in the future though.

Same. I'll pounce on a price cut. And I've played with a friend's Switch. It's nice, but not worth my time or money at the moment.

erlim

You're right about DOOM.

This is so weird to me, because I said that if there's ANY graphical downgrades on Switch, I would get my PS4 Pro version, and today, I still will, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking would I actually make more progress in the Switch version of the game.

I agree. I will buy NBA 2k18 and Wolfenstein II on switch instead of ps4pro. It just feels right playing games on the Switch.

Rezbit

I've been surprised how much I've used the console in tabletop/handheld mode in my own house. Just being able to play in another room while the TV is occupied, playing in bed, it's really flexible. The burgeoning library is already very solid too.

Never let them forget they said this.

You forget “why would I want to play indie games on the go if I can just play them on my pc?!”

It’s always been frustrating to see the Nintendo double standard at work when it comes to portables. Stuff that they have gotten away with for decades Sony was bashed endlessly for.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You forget “why would I want to play indie games on the go if I can just play them on my pc?!”

It’s always been frustrating to see the Nintendo double standard at work when it comes to portables. Stuff that they have gotten away with for decades Sony was bashed endlessly for.

The Vita was bashed for its indie support `? What the hell are you talking about....Shovel Knight, Steam World Dig and Co. were a thing on 3DS before and people loved them. How does being able to play indie games on a PC matter for a person who wants them on portable.

You need to get off the Vita kool aid for real - people didnt care for the Vita because Sony let the system die and didnt give a damn about it less than 2 years in.

The Switch isnt either or...you get the indie/japanese/niche titles in addition to Nintendos very strong first party support. Playing on Switch lets you play on the go as well as on the big screen TV something neither 3DS or Vita offered.

No the Vita doesnt have a patent on indie games on a portable...or japanese games on a portable...both were DS and 3DS and no those arent the reason the Vita flopped - it flopped because it didnt offer much besides that, especially when it comes to exclusive big games.

erlim

The Vita was bashed for its indie support `? What the hell are you talking about....Shovel Knight, Steam World Dig and Co. were a thing on 3DS before and people loved them. How does being able to play indie games on a PC matter for a person who wants them on portable.

You need to get off the Vita kool aid for real - people didnt care for the Vita because Sony let the system die and didnt give a damn about it less than 2 years in.

The Switch isnt either or...you get the indie/japanese/niche titles in addition to Nintendos very strong first party support. Playing on Switch lets you play on the go as well as on the big screen TV something neither 3DS or Vita offered.

No the Vita doesnt have a patent on indie games on a portable...or japanese games on a portable...both were DS and 3DS and no those arent the reason the Vita flopped - it flopped because it didnt offer much besides that, especially when it comes to exclusive big games.

In addition to indie and first part games, Switch is getting legendary western 3rd party support from Bethesda and 2k games. Switch has it all right now.

Dantis

It's a really good idea, but is in dire need of more games. I'm tripping over myself for PS4 titles to play, and Switch is still sitting back with basically nothing.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
In addition to indie and first part games, Switch is getting legendary western 3rd party support from Bethesda and 2k games. Switch has it all right now.

Legendary ? well...lets slow down for a bit - but yeah Bethesda at least is looking rather solid right now.

It's a really good idea, but is in dire need of more games. I'm tripping over myself for PS4 titles to play, and Switch is still sitting back with basically nothing.

I mean one system has been out for nearly 4 years and the other for barely 6 months...it would be weird if it was any different tbh.

But that was latterly the argument made: it didn’t matter that vita had indie games, because they were also on pc and people preferred to play them there. That Nintendo also had them was irrelevant, it wasn’t a bash against the 3ds to have them.

Likewise was how first party games were treated. If Sony put a game in an established ip it was judged based on how similar it was to the main series games on a home console, while Nintendo games are judged on their own merit, or differences hand waved away so long as it was similar.

This has been the case since the psp. Two different standards at work. The West was terrible at this, and I think it’s one of the major reasons western support was never there. No matter how they did, the games were judged harshly.

I loved the Vita. For the first year after launch I literally used it every day. For the second year, almost every day. It wasn't until the 3rd year that it started spending more time on the shelf than in my hand, as games I was interested in started to dry out, I still couldn't justify the cost of a larger memory card that I desperately needed, etc. I will keep my launch Vita till the day I die (or the battery explodes inside it) and will defend that glorious little thing to the end.

The Switch is better. The experience isn't the same at all. Yes, the Vita got last gen, and some then-current gen ports, but they were a lot more gimped than what happens on the Switch. If not graphically, then at least in the controls department. There were also more limits on what kinds of games could be ported. Borderlands 2? Sure, but it has that cell-shaded art style that made it more viable. You would never see anything like Doom being brought over. Killzone was somewhat impressive, but still a bigger rift between that and console counterparts than what you get with the Switch.

More importantly is the shear flexibility the Switch offers. Not just in the docked vs handheld, but in controller types and layouts, the local portable multiplyer, motion controls vs touch screen. Devs can build games however they want, sure, but what really matters is player choice. No matter where you are or going, the Switch adapts to your needs to keep you playing (so long as there's a power outlet nearby). It keeps the player engaged, knowing that no matter where they go, they can find a way to use it that doesn't feel overly gimped, if at all. So people will take it with, despite it being a bit large, and continue buying more games for it they otherwise wouldn't have. That level of constant engagement is the real game-changer over not only other consoles, but other handhelds as well.

The Vita didn't have that. Nor does the 3DS, or the Game Boy, or any other previous handheld, successful or not. And neither has any previous console. There are very real arguments for not wanting one, especially if you have zero interest in portable gaming (or zero interest in stationary consoles), but even of you are one of those people, I would still urge you to try one. Maybe it isn't your thing, cool, but it very well may change your mind.

It's amazing how many people are still saying they will wait for a portable only or a TV only version of the Switch. You will be waiting a long time. The market does not support your desires right now. Consumers are seeing the value of a hybrid experience. Some that want it as a portable have decided the $300 price tag is worth it. Some that see it as a TV only experience have decided the same. But the majority of consumers think the hybrid experience is an incredible value. Nintendo does not see any reason to cater outside of that market right now.

But the great thing is that Nintendo has the potential out there. If they feel they need a boost in hardware sales a few years down the line, they have some great options for how to revise the console. I don't think they will for many years, and when they do it will be a spinoff, but the potential to keep this software line going is high.

ghibli99

Yep, similar reaction here when I first got it. Before I did, I was skeptical, and thought why would I want this thing that's less powerful... plus, I already have PC, consoles, and handhelds. Then you play it, and it becomes immediately apparent that it is the thing you didn't realize you wanted for all your life. Might be an exaggeration, but that's how it feels to me. I rarely ever play it on TV, but it's great to have the option.

It's amazing how many people are still saying they will wait for a portable only or a TV only version of the Switch. You will be waiting a long time. The market does not support your desires right now. Consumers are seeing the value of a hybrid experience. Some that want it as a portable have decided the $300 price tag is worth it. Some that see it as a TV only experience have decided the same. But the majority of consumers think the hybrid experience is an incredible value. Nintendo does not see any reason to cater outside of that market right now.

But the great thing is that Nintendo has the potential out there. If they feel they need a boost in hardware sales a few years down the line, they have some great options for how to revise the console. I don't think they will for many years, and when they do it will be a spinoff, but the potential to keep this software line going is high.

That's a bold statement, considering there is no portable only or tabletop only version to compare against. Who's to say the market may not prefer one of those if available? Considering price differences could also come into play wit those, it's an interesting argument to make.

hawk2025

This is a problem basically solved by the Vita nealy 6 years ago.

Now, the Switch obviously brings its on twist to the table by being one device and supports even more complex games (as it should, coming out 5 years later), but the basis of the idea remains. We’ve been playing cross-buy/cross-save games for 5 years.

It also just plain needs a dpad Joycon, as soon as humanly possible. I actually had a flight recently where I had:

- Tiny Barbarian DX (Switch)
- Steamworld Dig 2 (Switch and Vita)
- Volgar the Viking (Switch and Vita)

I ended up playing both Dig and Volgar on the Vita, and it was not even close. Those buttons doesn’t cut it, and 2D games are the bread and butter of a great portable IMO.

Dantis

Legendary ? well...lets slow down for a bit - but yeah Bethesda at least is looking rather solid right now.

I mean one system has been out for nearly 4 years and the other for barely 6 months...it would be weird if it was any different tbh.
I'm talking about new releases, not back catalogue.

A huge amount of it comes down to the need for games to be created specifically for the system.

kubev

I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact that Nintendo is still releasing too many 2DS/3DS games that don't seem to be coming to Switch. I bought Switch because I wanted Fire Emblem games on my TV, and Nintendo still managed to release another Fire Emblem game only on 2DS/3DS afterward. Sure, we're eventually getting a real Fire Emblem on Switch, but it seems odd to me that there wouldn't have been a Switch version already. With a handheld of Switch's quality available, it just seems wasteful for Nintendo to only release a 2DS/3DS version of anything.

Coricus

I like my switch. It’s been a good purchase for Zelda alone and I’m really looking forward to Mario.

But I feel like I’m missing something crucial because for me it’s not nearly been the revelatory experience as it seemingly is for so many here on gaf.

Switch is by far the worst of all three consoles I own. It'll be worth owning for Mario, but nothing since Zelda is especially great.
There seems to be a parallel between not enjoying the Switch and not picking up/enjoying anything other than Zelda and Mario. These sentiments seem to go hand in hand more often than they don't.

I'd hate the Switch too if I had nothing to play but those two, and it kinda sat there for a couple months after Zelda. The key here is that Splatoon is the only IP that I can just decide to play at nearly any time and still get into it. At the rate it's going it'll be well past my Zelda playtime time by the end of the year, and I dumped a solid month of absorbed gameplay into Zelda.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Disgaea 5 Complete, and Stardew Valley also snuck up on me, but I can concede those aren't exclusives. . .and I haven't dumped 200+ hours into them.

Splatoon 2 is pretty much the perfect palate cleanser for me. And also kind of like digital potato chips.

And really, I think it makes the difference. Eventually Zelda got tiring and even picking it back up didn't make me want to play anymore. No matter how exhausted I get of Splatoon 2, if I need to take a break for a day or a week or a month, it's that one game I can always go back to. Having a backbone to the system gives it some extra kick.

That's a bold statement, considering there is no portable only or tabletop only version to compare against. Who's to say the market may not prefer one of those if available? Considering price differences could also come into play wit those, it's an interesting argument to make.

Who's to say? The market. Nintendo is moving Switch units very well. In the reality of the situation we have, Nintendo is on track to outsell their last console's lifetime sales in 1 year and this did this pushing the concept of a hybrid experience.

You can make up any scenario you want and claim it would do better, that's a fine fantasy. But we have actual numbers of how well the Switch is doing.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
listen to music, read a book, talk to people, watch a movie

no, it's not. i could listen to music and then talk to people and then watch a movie. and i could play a game as well if i felt like it, but i don't. just like i don't take 6 hour flights/train rides every day.

I'm on a gaming forum because i like games. Doesn't mean i play them all the time. Is this some requisite i missed in the rules or something?
I wouldn't think of you as an addict unless you started to try and shame me for not playing games on the go like you. Then yes, i would. And no, i don't think i'm a better human being than you for having different hobbies and priorities so don't worry. Do you think you're a better human being than me because i don't take my switch on the go?

This post is fuckin embarrassing.
You’re going off the deep end, stop.

It really is the best of both worlds for a console gamer. There's been so many times over the last decade where I say to myself "meh... I'd rather play this on TV" or "I'd rather play this on a handheld". Sony actually tried to make this a reality with PS3/VIta cross play but having to buy a lot of games twice and all the hassle of moving saves back an d forth kind of made it too burdensome to be useful. Now with Switch I can import a game like MHXX and play it the way that best suits my mood without feeling like I'm missing a huge part of the experience like I felt with MH4 and MHX.

You forget ”why would I want to play indie games on the go if I can just play them on my pc?!"

It's always been frustrating to see the Nintendo double standard at work when it comes to portables. Stuff that they have gotten away with for decades Sony was bashed endlessly for.

That's not really frustrating.

What's frustrating is your failure to provide evidence beyond "Nintendo fans said these things, I swear!" As if "Nintendo fans" are a monolith who all say the same things and all hold the same opinions. As if "Nintendo fans" are the only people who said these things about Vita.

"Nintendo fans" and their mean words aren't the reason the Vita failed. The market rejected it.

dracula_x

indeed

This is a problem basically solved by the Vita nealy 6 years ago.

Now, the Switch obviously brings its on twist to the table by being one device and supports even more complex games (as it should, coming out 5 years later), but the basis of the idea remains. We've been playing cross-buy/cross-save games for 5 years.

It also just plain needs a dpad Joycon, as soon as humanly possible. I actually had a flight recently where I had:

- Tiny Barbarian DX (Switch)
- Steamworld Dig 2 (Switch and Vita)
- Volgar the Viking (Switch and Vita)

I ended up playing both Dig and Volgar on the Vita, and it was not even close. Those buttons doesn't cut it, and 2D games are the bread and butter of a great portable IMO.

We definitely need a joycon with an actual a d-pad, like, yesterday....but man I was shocked at how well the fake "d-pad" worked with those games! I have very little issue playing most 2D games with it. Now, for most fighting games, it's kind of a nightmare.

We definitely need a joycon with an actual a d-pad, like, yesterday....but man I was shocked at how well the fake "d-pad" worked with those games! I have very little issue playing most 2D games with it. Now, for most fighting games, it's kind of a nightmare.

I can't imagine it being any good in a game like Super Castlevania 4 (playing right now on SNES) or Cuphead due to diagonals.

Tbh I thought it sucked even for Sonic and that's barely a platformer. We definitely need a joycon w/ dpad before Kirby and Yoshi come out. Honestly just slap a SNES dpad right where the face buttons are and call it a day. This pad is perfect.

I can't imagine it being any good in a game like Super Castlevania 4 (playing right now on SNES) or Cuphead due to diagonals.

Yeah, that's definitely true. I don't think it's ideal for every 2D game. If the game you're playing doesn't rely on diagonal button presses though, it tends to work well.

Tbh I thought it sucked even for Sonic and that's barely a platformer. We definitely need a joycon w/ dpad before Kirby and Yoshi come out.
That's one of the few things I am holding out for before I get a Switch.

Poppyseed

I like my switch well enough but I don't understand everyone praise its portability, its fucking huge.

I used to carry my vita around when I was really into a game, and I did give this a go with the switch but its too bulky to slip in the front pocket of my bag like my vita (forget about a pocket, even cargo pants will have problems. Also its wide so playing it in cramped places (like trains) is a little awkward so I gave up.

The only time I've felt comfortable playing in transport was on a plane.

So my Switch doesn't really leave my house, which means portability is meaningless, so why not play with the more comfortable Pro controller on a big TV?

It might be good for people who only have one TV but how many households is that?

If the Switch is Nintnedo's proper portable successor I'm looking forward to a smaller revision.

It really is huge. And we’re also going to see some compromises going forward due to the underpowered hardware. First up is Fire Emblem Warriors, which runs at half the frame rate in portable mode. Since Warriors games scream for 60fps gameplay, I’ll be stuck in docked mode. That’s not a choice for me, whereas it should be.

Top Bottom