• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want an RTX 3090, but I don't think that it'll be able to fit into my computer tower.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
According to official specifications for the RTX 3090, it's 12.32" long. However, as you can see in the picture below, my tower doesn't quite have that amount of clearance. I'm thinking that perhaps I can insert it into one of the lower PCIe slots so that it can (hopefully) protrude into one of the hard-drive bays and therefore fit into the case, but that's assuming that I can even somehow maneuver it into the case's opening. Do you think it's possible? If not, I'd seriously just buy a new case, because I really want the 3090. Also, I'm planning on building a new PC next year when DDR5 is released; hence, the new case (and the 3090) could be re-purposed for that build.

Picture:

RkogFHn.jpg

UPDATE # 1:

Apparently I can individually remove the hard drive trays in my computer case to allow more room for GPUs; removing a hard drive tray creates a maximum of 428mm of space for a GPU, which is more than enough for the RTX 3090, which is 315mm long. So, I'll just remove the hard drive tray that's level with the top PCIE-slot on my mother board, and move the hard drive that's in it to the bottom hard drive tray, since the two above it are occupied.

UPDATE # 2:

I've removed the hard drive trays that were in the way, so there's now enough space.

Picture:

XGcVTP3.jpg

Yes, I know that the inside of my case is dusty; I'll get a compressed-air blower o clean it out soon (Link).

Last edited:

GHG

If you can afford a 3090 then you can afford a new case.

It's a hassle, I know but it's just they way it goes.

Get a Lian Li dynamic o11 or an Antec p120 Crystal or a Thermaltake view 51 or something similar if you never want to have to care about GPU length ever again.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
If you can afford a 3090 then you can afford a new case.

It's a hassle, I know but it's just they way it goes.

Get a Lian Li dynamic o11 or an Antec p120 Crystal or a Thermaltake view 51 or something similar if you never want to have to care about GPU length ever again.
I'm just gonna say if you can afford a 3090 , then you can certainly afford a new, nice case.
I'll get a new case, but it's going to suck not being able to put it on the shelf beneath my desk; it'll be too big. I'll have to put it on the floor.

My desk.

GHG

I'll get a new case, but it's going to suck not being able to put it on the shelf beneath my desk; it'll be too big. I'll have to put it on the floor.

My desk.

The Lian Li dynamic pc o11 should fit if your current case does.

Supports gpus up to 43cm in length as well.

Last edited:

n0razi

Lol my case fits 8.25" max (currently have a Gigabyte RTX 2070 Mini in there which fits perfectly) and I'm worried about possibly fitting a 3070, let alone anything higher.

Woffls

X99 represent! I’m also waiting for DDR5, but might get a 30 series before then. Define R4 is a big ol case so no worries there.

Get a new case and chuck loads of fans in it. X99 chips get hot and I’m guessing a 3090 will as well, and push the air out top over the cpu heatsink. More space and air flow will be worth the effort and cost.

ChrisB

I had the same fears OP thankfully reading the specs it seems the 3090 can fit my case Sliger SM560. So it's time for my 1080Ti to get an upgrade.

I'd say it's time to get a different case!

Lol my case fits 8.25" max (currently have a Gigabyte RTX 2070 Mini in there which fits perfectly) and I'm worried about possibly fitting a 3070, let alone anything higher.
Given the funkadelic shape of the PCB, I'm confident that either EVGA or Zotac will cook up a mini version with a robust enough and compact cooling solution.

Edit: I have had issues with GPU's from Zotac dying a quick death, anywhere from 4 months to about a year. I'm not touchin their products ever again most likely. I just mentioned them, because they usually do have a small form factor or horizontally compact GPU for most of the sku's in several generations of Nvidia gpu's.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If not, I'd seriously just buy a new case, because I really want the 3090. Also, I'm planning on building a new PC next year when DDR5 is released; hence, the new case (and the 3090) could be re-purposed for that build.
Just get a new case. Problem solved!

iJudged

Banned
I remember 6 or 7 years ago, I can't recall what GPU but I know it was top of the line, I purchased it and ran home only to find out I can't fit the damn GPU in the case, so I cut the case in the back and it fit, then I patched it up to prevent the dust from coming in.

Not my proudest moment but it worked, looked like shit but it worked!

It was one of those things where you wait so long to get your hands on it, and finally you get it but only to have that little piece of shit case stand in the way? Lol

Moral of the story OP is, do it, do it, do it

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Does anyone know the dimensions of EVGA's FTW3 and XC3 versions of the 3090? Those are the two that I'm considering.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Length of the card isn't really the problem but the width certainly is, when you factor in the attached power connector, many cases will struggle to fit their side panels back on.

nkarafo

This card is an overkill. It's huge, power hungry and expensive. It assumes people who can afford it won't have an issue buying a new case and PSU for it.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Based on information that I've gotten from Reddit, EVGA's versions of the 3090 may be small enough to fit inside my current case. So, I'll just wait until I get official information before I decide to get a new case; either way, intend to get that card.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Why are you so eager to throw an extra $600-$700 down the drain? (if you only use it for gaming and not professional workload, that is)
The 24GB of VRAM and its higher bandwidth will assure that it will last for perhaps the entirety of the 9th generation of consoles. So, any cross-platform game will be a cake walk for the card at settings equal to those of the consoles and will run far better at those settings (and perhaps even at higher settings). Also, I used to make YouTube videos about movies on a channel that I lost and want to resume doing so on a new channel with higher quality video editing.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
The 24GB of VRAM and its higher bandwidth will assure that it will last for perhaps the entirety of the 9th generation of consoles. So, any cross-platform game will be a cake walk for the card at settings equal to those of the consoles and will run far better at those settings (and perhaps even at higher settings). Also, I used to make YouTube videos about movies on a channel that I lost and want to resume doing so on a new channel with higher quality video editing.

If you can wait, You'll probably be able to save $400 (or more) for yourself when Nvidia release the higher VRAM (20GB?) 3080Ti/Super, most likely sometime in 2021.

If anyone is willing to buy a 3090 (a card with diminishing returns when you take into consideration the price and how powerful the 3080 is) then I would assume dropping a hundred bucks on a new case wouldn’t mean much.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
If anyone is willing to buy a 3090 (a card with diminishing returns when you take into consideration the price and how powerful the 3080 is) then I would assume dropping a hundred bucks on a new case wouldn’t mean much.

Its the hassle involved of ripping everything out and reinstalling it to said new case, it's doing something like that when things tend to go horribly wrong and break and suddenly your left without a working PC because you've damaged a connector somwhere on the motherboard...I speak from experience.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned

It's not the money that's the issue, but - as Dr.D00p Dr.D00p says - the hassle of having to uninstall and then reinstall everything. Having said this, I'm not rich, but my job avails me overtime every week.

sendit

Stick with the mini itx form factor. Plenty of mini itx cases that will accommodate this card. I’ll be getting the following for the 3090.

lachesis

Looks like it won't fit my FT02 case either... that the manual says the limit is 12.2".
Well, my schedule for upgrade was to be around 2021-2, hopefully by then there would be some smaller variant of it or something new that fit my needs, as I am quite content with my case.

edit:
Oh... it's 3090. LOL.. nope, not spending that much on new rig. If I could 3070 or 3080 would be my choice, probably former would be good enough.

Last edited:

smbu2000

Wait around for third party cards as they’re can be quite a bit of variance in size.

if they are still too big then look into a new case.

Lanrutcon

Giant cases give you better air flow, it's easier to maintain and you can hide your snacks without hassle.

If your case doesn't count as 50% cover during a gun fight, then you need a new one.

notseqi

Giant cases give you better air flow, it's easier to maintain and you can hide your snacks without hassle.

If your case doesn't count as 50% cover during a gun fight, then you need a new one.
I miss Big Towers. Imagine getting one now but fitting the smallest version of everything in it. Nostalgia.

Top Bottom