• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want an RTX 3090, but I don't think that it'll be able to fit into my computer tower.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
According to official specifications for the RTX 3090, it's 12.32" long. However, as you can see in the picture below, my tower doesn't quite have that amount of clearance. I'm thinking that perhaps I can insert it into one of the lower PCIe slots so that it can (hopefully) protrude into one of the hard-drive bays and therefore fit into the case, but that's assuming that I can even somehow maneuver it into the case's opening. Do you think it's possible? If not, I'd seriously just buy a new case, because I really want the 3090. Also, I'm planning on building a new PC next year when DDR5 is released; hence, the new case (and the 3090) could be re-purposed for that build.

Picture: Link

Not a big deal, change the case, they're pretty cheap.

If you can afford a 3090 then you can afford a new case.

It's a hassle, I know but it's just they way it goes.

Get a Lian Li dynamic o11 or an Antec p120 Crystal or a Thermaltake view 51 or something similar if you never want to have to care about GPU length ever again.

The o11 dynamic has terrible side panel clearance. I've been wondering if these cards will slot in due to the size.

I know only a select few cpu air coolers fit.

GymWolf

I have to do basically a new pc for the series 3000, 50 euros more for a case is no biggie.

I fear more the price of a good 750w psu, never even looked at more than 550w bronze for my system before so the jump in price is gonna be ridicolous :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

GHG

The o11 dynamic has terrible side panel clearance. I've been wondering if these cards will slot in due to the size.

I know only a select few cpu air coolers fit.

Are these cards also... Wider? I thought the width tended to be standard on GPUs because of the standardised IO bracket spec?

Ascend

I have to do basically a new pc for the series 3000, 50 euros more for a case is no biggie.

I fear more the price of a good 750w psu, never even looked at more than 550w bronze for my system before so the jump in price is gonna be ridicolous :ROFLMAO:
$90-$100 ish.

Are these cards also... Wider? I thought the width tended to be standard on GPUs because of the standardised IO bracket spec?

kNmhDjg.0.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3090-1-1.jpg

Absolute unit, m8.

It's the clearance on the side mounted power connector I'm pondering.

AIB boards should be fine though.

Ascend

Really? It's not that much.

Some good brands\specific model that i can find on amazon?
I only know seasonic, xfx, corsair etc. But i don't know if all of their models are good.

Thanks.
After looking, they are more expensive now lol. I bought a Corsair RMx 850W for $120 a year ago. Now, the 750W is $130. Everything seems a lot more expensive. So, I apologize for lying to you lol.

GymWolf

After looking, they are more expensive now lol. I bought a Corsair RMx 850W for $120 a year ago. Now, the 750W is $130. Everything seems a lot more expensive. So, I apologize for lying to you lol.
Well on amazon italy i have some 750w around 100 euros but i don't know what are the good ones...

Ascend

Well on amazon italy i have some 750w around 100 euros but i don't know what are the good ones...
This should help you;

iHaunter

I'm just gonna say if you can afford a 3090 , then you can certainly afford a new, nice case.

I agree, it's a super luxury item. Being able to purchase is not the same as being able to afford. If you can dish out 1.5k on a video card, you can buy a high end $150-$200 case.

GymWolf

This should help you;
Lol that list is a bit more technical than i was expecting :ROFLMAO:

BluRayHiDef

Banned

I've got an 850 watt PSU. Link.

GHG

kNmhDjg.0.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3090-1-1.jpg

Absolute unit, m8.

It's the clearance on the side mounted power connector I'm pondering.

AIB boards should be fine though.

First time I've noticed that it's also larger in width, that's ridiculous.

However that width is probably the same amount that we use in all of our cases due to the power connectors sticking out unless you get that custom connection thingy that the likes of EVGA sell (can't remember what it's called).

The saving grace is that I think the power connector on the reference cards is actually recessed slightly, so the power cables will be sticking out the side too much.

Ascend

Lol that list is a bit more technical than i was expecting :ROFLMAO:
Pick anything under tier A and you should be fine. Make sure not to confuse units. Same models from different years can have a different quality. One small letter difference can also mean it's a completely different PSU.
Stick with Gold. Anything more (like Platinum/Titanium) are overkill.

GymWolf

Pick anything under tier A and you should be fine. Make sure not to confuse units. Same models from different years can have a different quality. One small letter difference can also mean it's a completely different PSU.
Stick with Gold. Anything more (like Platinum/Titanium) are overkill.
Do you think this is any good?

Ascend

Do you think this is any good?

Yeah that one is great. I do think it's overpriced, but, you know, not much to be done about that... In case you're interested... Here is its price history at Amazon (make sure to tick on Amazon. 3rd part is almost always more expensive);

Ill be honest as good as the 3090 RTX is I do not think it will be worth it. Not only you need to shell out $1499 but you will also need a 8K monitor if you actually wanna take advantage of it and do 8K60 fps on it.

If you have the money, more power to you. I am sticking with a 3080 for a while.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah that one is great. I do think it's overpriced, but, you know, not much to be done about that... In case you're interested... Here is its price history at Amazon (make sure to tick on Amazon. 3rd part is almost always more expensive);
It's 136 dollars (115 euros) in italy right now and i probably can find a better price outside of amazon (pricey cunts)...

BluRayHiDef

Banned
850w seems a bit of an overkill for me, i never buy the top tier gpu, usually i go with 70 or 80 model.
I bought that back in 2016, when I built my 2nd computer, which is my current one; I chose 850 watts for extra headroom since the build consisted of an i7-5820k and a 980Ti (which has been replaced with a 1080Ti).

I also have a 750 watt PSU (Link) in the first computer that I built (i7-920, HD 5870, etc), which has been sitting in my closet since I built my current computer.

hard_boiled

Neophyte
According to official specifications for the RTX 3090, it's 12.32" long. However, as you can see in the picture below, my tower doesn't quite have that amount of clearance. I'm thinking that perhaps I can insert it into one of the lower PCIe slots so that it can (hopefully) protrude into one of the hard-drive bays and therefore fit into the case, but that's assuming that I can even somehow maneuver it into the case's opening. Do you think it's possible? If not, I'd seriously just buy a new case, because I really want the 3090. Also, I'm planning on building a new PC next year when DDR5 is released; hence, the new case (and the 3090) could be re-purposed for that build.

If you look up your case on Newegg there is a specifications or additional information section that will specify what the maximum GPU length (& I think height) size is in millimeters. You can compare that to 3090 length millimeters. Some GPU makes also get a miniaturized version, the 3090 might be one of them.

Kenpachii

Should probably also worry if that card isn't more thicker, could very well connect with your CPU cooler if you got a aircooler. kinda interesting to see how they went with that.

Do not out the 3090 in any of the lower pcie slots if you don't know already. You'll lose a ton of performance.

I'm glad I got the small form factor bug out early in my PC building days dealing with temperature management and space issues was just a headache not worth it.

I remember ignorantly trying to stuff a 9800GTX into a tiny ass shuttle case and overclocking the i7-920 I put in it. I could play Crysis for about 1.5 hours before it'd shut itself off. Never again.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Ill be honest as good as the 3090 RTX is I do not think it will be worth it. Not only you need to shell out $1499 but you will also need a 8K monitor if you actually wanna take advantage of it and do 8K60 fps on it.

If you have the money, more power to you. I am sticking with a 3080 for a while.

It's about longevity. With a 3090, I'm pretty sure that upgrading will be unnecessary for the entirety of the 9th generation of consoles. The immense computational power of 36 teraflops, blazing fast bandwidth of 1 terabyte per second, and whopping storage capacity of 24GB of GDDR6X assure that it will last a long, long time. The bandwidth and memory capacity alone justify its higher price relative to the 3080.

Reactions: GHG
I’m Boned as well. I love my Sffpc (ncase m1) But it might be time to go a little bigger. I need more than 2 ssds now anyways with how huge game files are these days. Plus my pc is out of view anyways.

Ascend

If you want a 3090, make sure to pre-order, and if there are no pre-orders, buy it the second it becomes available. Numbers are extremely limited, and I wouldn't be surprised if the prices go up even more due to the limitations.

I will be waiting for AMD's next gen card announcements before I make a decision. I'm pretty sure (like 99% sure) that they will release their cards at the end of October.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
If you want a 3090, make sure to pre-order, and if there are no pre-orders, buy it the second it becomes available. Numbers are extremely limited, and I wouldn't be surprised if the prices go up even more due to the limitations.

I will be waiting for AMD's next gen card announcements before I make a decision. I'm pretty sure (like 99% sure) that they will release their cards at the end of October.

I plan on heading to Microcenter the morning that the card becomes available for sale.

It's about longevity. With a 3090, I'm pretty sure that upgrading will be unnecessary for the entirety of the 9th generation of consoles. The immense computational power of 36 teraflops, blazing fast bandwidth of 1 terabyte per second, and whopping storage capacity of 24GB of GDDR6X assure that it will last a long, long time. The bandwidth and memory capacity alone justify its higher price relative to the 3080.
Considering the generation is likely to last 7-8 years, you could probably save a ton of money just buying a 3070 and then upgrading twice to a 5070 and a 7070. Not only would you most likely spend less money overall (especially if you resell your old card, which you probably won't be able to do with a 3090 at the end of the gen) and never be out of warranty, but you'd also end up with a faster card at the end of it.

Last edited:

thief183

Even cheap cases have removable drive cages these days.

Considering the generation is likely to last 7-8 years, you could probably save a ton of money just buying a 3070 and then upgrading twice to a 5070 and a 7070. Not only would you most likely spend less money overall (especially if you resell your old card, which you probably won't be able to do with a 3090 at the end of the gen), but end up with a faster card at the end of it.

I want a 3090 too wonna try to change my mind too?

GHG

Considering the generation is likely to last 7-8 years, you could probably save a ton of money just buying a 3070 and then upgrading twice to a 5070 and a 7070. Not only would you most likely spend less money overall (especially if you resell your old card, which you probably won't be able to do with a 3090 at the end of the gen) and never be out of warranty, but you'd also end up with a faster card at the end of it.

The same logic can apply to getting the 3090 though as long as you are smart about the timing of when you sell the card towards the end of each GPU cycle.

If someone wants the best and they can afford it then why not?

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I don't like low/ mid-tier cards. I want high-tier; it's a superficial thing.

MrS

Banned
I actually took that photo with a Fuji X-T3 to which was attached the kit lens (18mm-55mm f2.8); however, I took it without care or effort because I wasn't concerned with aesthetics. My other photos, which you can see here and here, are better (though they're still amateur-tier).
Nice! some cool snaps on there for sure

TheContact

the 3090 will last a good 3-4 generations of hardware; the thing is just so powerful. but the better value would be buying a 3070 unless you don't care about dropping $1,500 on having the best you can get at the moment.

The same logic can apply to getting the 3090 though as long as you are smart about the timing of when you sell the card towards the end of each GPU cycle.
Yeah, sure. He specifically said he was gonna keep the card for the entire generation, though.

If someone wants the best and they can afford it then why not?
I don't like low/ mid-tier cards. I want high-tier; it's a superficial thing.
Of course. Far be it from me to tell people with more money than sense (and I mean this in the best possible way) how to spend it.

GHG

Yeah, sure. He specifically said he was gonna keep the card for the entire generation, though.

Right, and in that case buying a 3070 and then needing to upgrade another 2-3 times to eventually end up with 3090 performance doesn't fit the bill either.

BluRayHiDef

Banned

Of course. Far be it from me to tell people with more money than sense (and I mean this in the best possible way) how to spend it.

It makes more sense than two unnecessary upgrades.

DaGwaphics

Picture: Link

EzPz

Top Bottom