• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want an RTX 3090, but I don't think that it'll be able to fit into my computer tower.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Looks like it won't fit my FT02 case either... that the manual says the limit is 12.2".
Well, my schedule for upgrade was to be around 2021-2, hopefully by then there would be some smaller variant of it or something new that fit my needs, as I am quite content with my case.

edit:
Oh... it's 3090. LOL.. nope, not spending that much on new rig. If I could 3070 or 3080 would be my choice, probably former would be good enough.

What are your thoughts on the GPU cooler design as it relates to the airflow of the FT02?

MarkyG

Said to my friend earlier "I think i'll get a 3080, a 3090 is just overkill. Even if I had the spare cash, i'd still not get it....it's just too much" - somebody needs to slap me, hard.

Anyway, i'm eyeing up my NZXT H710i case and a 3090 would look beautiful in it. Still, I don't have the cash for a 3090, so a 3080 it is. :)

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Said to my friend earlier "I think i'll get a 3080, a 3090 is just overkill. Even if I had the spare cash, i'd still not get it....it's just too much" - somebody needs to slap me, hard.

Anyway, i'm eyeing up my NZXT H710i case and a 3090 would look beautiful in it. Still, I don't have the cash for a 3090, so a 3080 it is. :)

You can't work overtime at work? You don't have a credit card?

lachesis

What are your thoughts on the GPU cooler design as it relates to the airflow of the FT02?

TBH, I just looked at the cooler design and looks like it will heat up my noctua NH-D14's fins rather warm. Maybe it will affect some CPU Temps - but I think it may be negligible in real life... or maybe I will see if I can find an ATX board that has PCI Express lane down further from the CPU and RAM... or maybe look into some 3rd party solution to this.

The fact FT02 is the king (not sure if it's still the king) of air-cooling case is not because of the heat-rises theory that they taught, but because of those triple 180mm fans. I saw a review that even if the case is stood up sideway like normal, it still cools just as well, and I'm pretty sure those fans would do be plenty of cool air enough for both 30xx lineups too.... but I don't think the new cooling vent towards CPU is going to be "helpful" for cooling CPU.

teezzy

Banned
If my opinion is worth anything, I always go with Cooler Master cases. They're built to last forever and the airflow is consistently top tier

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
TBH, I just looked at the cooler design and looks like it will heat up my noctua NH-D14's fins rather warm. Maybe it will affect some CPU Temps - but I think it may be negligible in real life... or maybe I will see if I can find an ATX board that has PCI Express lane down further from the CPU and RAM... or maybe look into some 3rd party solution to this.
There are some third party designs that look like it most of the fan action takes place on the left side (the side opposite the CPU, towards the hard drive cages) which would minimize hot airflow going into the CPU. If you have control over it, you could also potentially tweak your fan curves so that the middle 180 fan blows stronger in order to evacuate the hot air more easily.

The fact FT02 is the king (not sure if it's still the king) of air-cooling case is not because of the heat-rises theory that they taught, but because of those triple 180mm fans. I saw a review that even if the case is stood up sideway like normal, it still cools just as well, and I'm pretty sure those fans would do be plenty of cool air enough for both 30xx lineups too.... but I don't think the new cooling vent towards CPU is going to be "helpful" for cooling CPU.
It's a great case, and still ranks high in GN reviews. Technically, they're using the Raven, not the FT02, but the Raven is basically the same thing except plastic and tacky.

ramesses_780_cpu_all.jpg

GN also mentioned the orientation thing and how fans are overwhelmingly the main factor when compared to convection currents. I guess that might apply more to passive or semi-passive builds though.

Also, buying the 3080 makes sense because now that Nvidia is partnering with samsung when the 4000 line cards come out in a couple years it will be impressive and I’m sure you’ll want the 4080. Lol So makes sense.

raduque

If you want a 3090, make sure to pre-order, and if there are no pre-orders, buy it the second it becomes available. Numbers are extremely limited, and I wouldn't be surprised if the prices go up even more due to the limitations.

I will be waiting for AMD's next gen card announcements before I make a decision. I'm pretty sure (like 99% sure) that they will release their cards at the end of October.
Honestly, if I could afford it, I would buy a couple and flip them at twice the price to dumbasses like OP.

Ascend

I'm amazed at how rude some of the users here are. I'm respectful to everyone here; please be the same way to me.
Don't take it personally. There's the sentiment that the ones buying the best at extremely high prices increase prices for everyone down the stack, and obviously no one likes to pay more for what they could have potentially gotten for less.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Apparently I can individually remove the hard drive cages in my computer case to allow more room for GPUs; removing a hard drive cage creates a maximum of 428mm of space for a GPU, which is more than enough for the RTX 3090, which is 315mm long. So, I'll just remove the hard drive cage that's level with the top PCIE-slot on my mother board, and move the hard drive that's in it to the bottom hard drive cage, since the two above it are occupied.

According to official specifications for the RTX 3090, it's 12.32" long. However, as you can see in the picture below, my tower doesn't quite have that amount of clearance. I'm thinking that perhaps I can insert it into one of the lower PCIe slots so that it can (hopefully) protrude into one of the hard-drive bays and therefore fit into the case, but that's assuming that I can even somehow maneuver it into the case's opening. Do you think it's possible? If not, I'd seriously just buy a new case, because I really want the 3090. Also, I'm planning on building a new PC next year when DDR5 is released; hence, the new case (and the 3090) could be re-purposed for that build.

Picture: Link

UPDATE:

Apparently I can individually remove the hard drive cages in my computer case to allow more room for GPUs; removing a hard drive cage creates a maximum of 428mm of space for a GPU, which is more than enough for the RTX 3090, which is 315mm long. So, I'll just remove the hard drive cage that's level with the top PCIE-slot on my mother board, and move the hard drive that's in it to the bottom hard drive cage, since the two above it are occupied.
I feel like I need to ask. What is the resolution and refresh rate of your current monitor? I guess you could just buy a new one to go with that fucking beast of a GPU. Just saying if you don't already have, or don't plan on upgrading your monitor, than you'd be throwing money away on that card. Honestly, as impressive as that card is, I'd just wait for the 4000 series and hope Nvidia bring 3D stacking to the table.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I feel like I need to ask. What is the resolution and refresh rate of your current monitor? I guess you could just buy a new one to go with that fucking beast of a GPU. Just saying if you don't already have, or don't plan on upgrading your monitor, than you'd be throwing money away on that card. Honestly, as impressive as that card is, I'd just wait for the 4000 series and hope Nvidia bring 3D stacking to the table.

I'm using a 4K TV as my monitor: the TCL 55R635. It has a 120Hz panel but can display 120Hz at only 1440p and below due to supporting only HDMI 2.0b rather than HDMI 2.1; at 4K it's limited to 60Hz.

gJmEJ4h.jpg

I'm using a 4K TV as my monitor: the TCL 55R635. It has a 120Hz panel but can display 120Hz at only 1440p and below due to supporting only HDMI 2.0b rather than HDMI 2.1; at 4K it's limited to 60Hz.

gJmEJ4h.jpg
You're much, much better off saving money and buying a 3080. 3090 is complete overkill at 1440P. Hell, you're probably better off with a 3070 at 1440P and will still reach those frames. Availability will be insanely limited on the 3090. Again, save yourself money and get a 3080.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
You're much, much better off saving money and buying a 3080. 3090 is complete overkill at 1440P. Hell, you're probably better off with a 3070 at 1440P and will still reach those frames. Availability will be insanely limited on the 3090. Again, save yourself money and get a 3080.

I don't game at 1440p; I game at 4K. I don't care for 120Hz.

sendit

That's what I'm saying, though. If you're only gaming at 4K 60Hz, than a 3090 is absolutely overkill. Waste of money. Trust me. If you're only doing 4K 60Hz, than 3070 is a better choice.

I never understood why people think its overkill. What is this based off? Their are so many variables to an individuals preference. If the OP's goal is to game with a resolution of 4K@60FPS with the highest possible settings a game can adjust to, a 3090 is not overkill. Additionally, there are going to games that will absolutely punish the 3090 (FS2020 being one of them). Ray Tracing will also tank performance.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
That's what I'm saying, though. If you're only gaming at 4K 60Hz, than a 3090 is absolutely overkill. Waste of money. Trust me. If you're only doing 4K 60Hz, than 3070 is a better choice.

1. It's already been demonstrated that the 10GB of VRAM isn't going to be enough in the future, because the 2080Ti experiences a VRAM limitation when running Marvel's Avengers at 4K with Ultra settings; the issue isn't the computational power of the 2080Ti but is the VRAM. Hence, the 10GB of VRAM of the 3070 and 3080 won't age well; however, the 24GB of VRAM of the 3090 will be more than adequate for quite some time.

2. I may upgrade to a 4K-120Hz display next year by getting a TV from TCL's 8 Series of 2020, which will be comprised of 8K sets that will support 4K @ 120Hz. It would replace my 55R617, which is the display that's on the left in the picture that I posted.

3. I want a graphics card that will last as long as possible, so I want the most powerful card.

4. I want to get back into editing videos in 4K, so the 3090 will be very useful.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I've removed the hard drive trays that were in the way, so there's now enough space.

XGcVTP3.jpg

Yes, I know that the inside of my case is dusty; I'll get a compressed-air blower o clean it out soon (Link).

1. It's already been demonstrated that the 10GB of VRAM isn't going to be enough in the future, because the 2080Ti experiences a VRAM limitation when running Marvel's Avengers at 4K with Ultra settings; the issue isn't the computational power of the 2080Ti but is the VRAM. Hence, the 10GB of VRAM of the 3070 and 3080 won't age well; however, the 24GB of VRAM of the 3090 will be more than adequate for quite some time.

2. I may upgrade to a 4K-120Hz display next year by getting a TV from TCL's 8 Series of 2020, which will be comprised of 8K sets that will support 4K @ 120Hz. It would replace my 55R617, which is the display that's on the left in the picture that I posted.

3. I want a graphics card that will last as long as possible, so I want the most powerful card.

4. I want to get back into editing videos in 4K, so the 3090 will be very useful.
If you're gonna upgrade to an to a 4K 120Hz display and do editing, than go for the 3090. It's your money after all. Keep in mind availability will be a bitch, but hey, Nvidia will probably release Ti version of the 3000 series if you can't snag the 3090.

I had two H440s. I have one left and they have generally been my least favorite of all the cases I’ve built in. Even with it fitting I vote new case lol.

raz0r11

Neo Member
Hi blurayhidef, i'm in the same boat as you with the exact same case.

My main concern is the width of the graphic cards not the length as can easily remove the drive bays.

Have you looked at having to try and remove the hard drive bay panel?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You all made your life miserable garbage by not getting phanteks case. P600s is huge and has the best airflow on the market. Just throw away the front plate in the trash.
3090 is not worth it anyway. 3080 is where it's at. By the time it's too weak, 3090 will also be

ShadowNate

I have a relatively medium case and even though I think it would fit, I may have to move around or remove the disk tray too. But I do have a spare Thermaltake one, that I retired because it was too big and I'd have to swap the old system in it with my current one, and eh....

It sucks though that these cards get bulkier and bulkier with the years.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
You all made your life miserable garbage by not getting phanteks case. P600s is huge and has the best airflow on the market. Just throw away the front plate in the trash.
3090 is not worth it anyway. 3080 is where it's at. By the time it's too weak, 3090 will also be
I'm pretty sure that my Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG is just as good as a Phantek P600s if not better.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
O11 is great but best when watercooled
My CPU idles in the mid 30s with a standard fan curve set by Asus Fan Xpert and reaches only the mid 50s to 60s during real-world applications (i.e. video games). My GPUs temperatures are similar.

Top Bottom