• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to build a reading list for my child

AJUMP23

What books in classic literature would you recommend or authors that would help grow and stretch the mind of a pre-teen to teen. I am going to motivate them by paying them for every book they read. Please feel free to add.

Personal choices
C.S. Lewis Narnia
Tolkien Hobbit
Twain Huck Finn
Locke Treatise on Government (probably a bit much)
Thomas Paine Common Sense and others

Last edited:
5107.jpg

Billbofet

The Long Walk by Stephen King
Sphere by Michael Crichton

I realize these are not "classics" but I adore them. My daughter (14) just read these both and we had great conversations afterward - she loved them as well.

DrDamn

What books in classic literature would you recommend or authors that would help grow and stretch the mind of a pre-teen to teen. I am going to motivate them by paying them for every book they read. Please feel free to add.

Personal choices
C.S. Lewis Narnia
Tolkien Hobbit
Twain Huck Finn
Locke Treatise on Government (probably a bit much)
Thomas Paine Common Sense and others

I know you've got good intentions at heart, but reading should be about the enjoyment it brings you not the money you get. Make a list of recommended books and share with them why you think they should read them, but don't make it about payment and reward. Let them learn, discover and explore the books they want to read. You can nudge and encourage them, maybe suggest reading some books at the same time so you can talk about them, just don't make the act of reading about things it shouldn't be about. :)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Unsolicited parenting advice: isn't giving a kid a monetary incentive to read what you consider classics a bit "you should like what I liked"? Don't get me wrong, I like some of the books people are listing, but suggesting a kid in 2022 reads The Magician's Nephew over The Philosopher's Stone seems a bit silly. Are their friends really going to be reading books written in 1955? For me, as long as they're reading, that's great. Doesn't matter if it's a "classic". I read The Catcher in the Rye and while well-written it didn't resonate whatsoever, even something like Adrian Mole was better.

AJUMP23

I know you've got good intentions at heart, but reading should be about the enjoyment it brings you not the money you get. Make a list of recommended books and share with them why you think they should read them, but don't make it about payment and reward. Let them learn, discover and explore the books they want to read. You can nudge and encourage them, maybe suggest reading some books at the same time so you can talk about them, just don't make the act of reading about things it shouldn't be about. :)
I feel that way as well, but she wants to buy some things and earn some money and I thought this may work as a compromise. Most of her reading is assigned at school or a graphic novel. All of which I am fine with, but I don't think much of it expands her mind. I want to find a way that we can work together to expand our thoughts.

Reactions: AV

DrDamn

I feel that way as well, but she wants to buy some things and earn some money and I thought this may work as a compromise. Most of her reading is assigned at school or a graphic novel. All of which I am fine with, but I don't think much of it expands her mind. I want to find a way that we can work together to expand our thoughts.
I'd say get them to do specific chores to earn money - not stuff they have to do anyway but things like helping wash the car. Associate work with cash reward, not reading. Maybe suggest a parent daughter book club - you and she pick books on alternate weeks to read together and discuss. Learn what they enjoy from that and link that into good examples of the same genre.

Mistake

Preteen you should stick with fantasy, but teen should have a good dose of non-fiction. Helps offset the angst and make them more humble. Will also give your child a much broader world view than their peers. Just make sure to have a good chat afterwards. But as for recommendations, I don’t know your child’s taste, so I’m not sure what to say

Last edited:
Unsolicited parenting advice: isn't giving a kid a monetary incentive to read what you consider classics a bit "you should like what I liked"? Don't get me wrong, I like some of the books people are listing, but suggesting a kid in 2022 reads The Magician's Nephew over The Philosopher's Stone seems a bit silly. Are their friends really going to be reading books written in 1955? For me, as long as they're reading, that's great. Doesn't matter if it's a "classic". I read The Catcher in the Rye and while well-written it didn't resonate whatsoever, even something like Adrian Mole was better.
Catcher in the Rye shouldn’t resonate with you if you read it as an adult

The book heavily resonated with me, but I read it when I was 14 or 15

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Yeah, that's when I read it - in 2006 or so. If you're collecting VHS tapes you may have read it long before that and it probably hit closer to home.

Dev1lXYZ

Dune by Frank Herbert. I read it right after I finished The Hobbit in the Third Grade.

My mother was an English teacher and an avid reader, so she started early with me.

I have reread both many times over the years.

Yeah, that's when I read it - in 2006 or so. If you're collecting VHS tapes you may have read it long before that and it probably hit closer to home.
Did the book come off as exceptionally dated or something? People are still phonies after all.

I’m sure I’m forgetting a lot of it, but this was probably my fav book I read in my teens. I found Holden an extremely relatable character.

Lady Jane

Banned
Dune by Frank Herbert. I read it right after I finished The Hobbit in the Third Grade.

My mother was an English teacher and an avid reader, so she started early with me.

I have reread both many times over the years.

I think the politics of Dune are too advanced for that age. Many of the elements won't have weight due to lack of world knowledge. I feel like 15 or 16 is a good age for Dune.

Last edited:

AV

Did the book come off as exceptionally dated or something? People are still phonies after all.

I’m sure I’m forgetting a lot of it, but this was probably my fav book I read in my teens. I found Holden an extremely relatable character.

It's been another half a lifetime since I picked it up so I couldn't honestly say for sure, but I don't remember it being very relatable beyond "he's an angsty teen who believes himself smarter than he is like me". Again something like Adrian Mole can achieve that same effect while being more relatable as it was written 30 years or so closer to when I was born.

I'm not NOT recommending Catcher in the Rye but I don't think it's as timeless as people make out next to something like LOTR. That's probably the fantasy advantage at work though.

Kimahri

Banned
The Raven Rings trilogy is pretty good. Norse-ish mythology inspired. It's kinda YA, but gets a bit dark here and there, but not something a pre teen shouldn't be able to handle. Got sacred ravens and people with tails. Norwegian author.

Trogdor1123

The Crysalids is great, it’s short and fun.

Animal farm is usually received well at those ages too and will help reaffirm the evils of communism

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Absurd philosophies, dark surrealism, and the end of the human race . . . God hates you. All of you. He closed the gates of Heaven and wants you to rot on Earth forever. Not only that, he is repossesing your souls and feeding them to a large vagina-like machine called the Walm - an interdimensional doorway that brings His New Children into the world. He loves these new children, but He doesn't love you. They are more interesting than you. They are beautiful, psychotic, magical, sex-crazed, and deadly. They are turning your cities into apocalyptic chaos, and there's nothing you can do about it ... Featuring: a narrator who sees his body from a third-person perspective, a man whose flesh is dead but his body parts are alive and running amok, an overweight messiah, the personal life of the Grim Reaper, lots of classy sex and violence, and a motley group of squatter punks that team up with the devil to find their place in a world that doesn't want them anymore. This generation's Vonnegut

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I'd also 2nd or 3rd Catcher in the Rye, along with Great Gatsby, but I'd say age 13-14 for the latter.

ahtlas7

Never to early for Shakespeare. “Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.”

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Animal Farm
Alice's Adventures in Wonder Land
Robinson Crusoe

H4ze

Orwell - 1984

Depending on how old your kid is, maybe safe it for latter.

Last edited:

Doczu

Well i am not going to judge the cash part of the deal you try to strike with your kid, but here's a list of books that are not only a good read, but also help in building a critical mindset and world view.

Starship Troopers
Dune
Animal Farm
Fahrenheit 451
Hyperion
Lord of the Rings

Would be a base you can build on. Yes, they are either sci-fi, fantasy or dystopian (or a mix of those in the case of Dune), but life taught me that these genres allow the authors to be free in expressing their views, "controversial" statements and to force the reader to contemplate on what they read, not just consume the words.
Yes, LotR too.

Tams

Dune, Anna Karenina, Animal Farm (fuck 1984), A Clockwork Orange, Watership Down, Lord of the Flies, the entire works of Shakespeare, the entire works of Jane Austen, The Diary of a Young Girl, all of Haruki Murakami's books, all Wordsworth's poems.

Oh, you want suggestions that won't make them want to throw themselves out of a window? Fine, okay then.

The Hobbit and Narnia are great.

• Alice's Adventures in Wonder Land
  • Charlotte's Web
  • Robinson Crusoe
  • Treasure Island
  • Gulliver's Travels
  • Sherlock Holmes (there are even manga of the original stories if you must)
  • Jules Verne
    • Around the World in 80 Days
  • A Christmas Carol
  • Beatrix Potter (the most famous being Peter Rabbit)
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • The Secret Garden
  • Oliver Twist
  • Don Quixote
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
  • Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
  • The Call of the Wild
  • One Thousand and One Nights - often 'The Adventures of Sinbad' for children - finding an appropriate version may be hard
  • The Iliad and the Odyssey - again, try and find an age appropriate version - there are some good abridged ones

There's a good list on Abe Books, many of which I've listed here.

Honestly though, more modern ones are likely a better bet:
  • Anything by Roald Dahl.
    • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    • George's Marvellous Medicine
  • Alex Rider is great if they like adventure and spy stuff.
  • Harry Potter
  • His Dark Materials
  • Mortal Engines
  • Artemis Fowl
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events
  • Redwall
  • Adrian Mole
  • Roman Mysteries
  • Discworld (perhaps a bit much)
  • The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy (again, perhaps too much and they won't get some of the humour)
For non-fiction, but entertaining, I very highly recommend Horrible Histories, Horrible Science, Horrible Geography, Horribly Famous, and Murderous Maths.

The italics are continuous series (as in, you need to read them in order). Underlined are authors. I suggest you try the first books in them and only continue if they like them.

Catcher in the Rye, Of Mice and Men, Lord of the Flies, much of Shakespeare (I'd recommend Much Ado About Nothing, if you must), etc. are all great works of literature, but all I can say is I'd personally never read any of them again. Perhaps reading them for English class at school ruined them for me. I'd say everyone should read them once, but they are all pretty damn bleak.

I've been rereading Dune. It's a) too much and b) quite frankly shit writing. Frank Herbert created a fascinating world, but his writing is far too much and he couldn't write characters for shit.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I feel the premise of this all is flawed.

I picked up reading as soon as I was taught to read. My mother says I first asked to be driven to a bookshop when I turned 5 and received birthday money. Growing up and seeing most other people my age shunning reading, I got the impression that you either get into books in elementary school at the latest, or chances are slim that you’ll ever become an avid reader. I don’t think you can force or coax people into becoming interested in the written word. And really, paying your kid to read? They’ll read a number of books, then use the money to buy the equipment to become a video game streamer, ‘cuz the lesson here is you get paid for consuming entertainment, lol. Oh, and of course, your kid will never read another book again unless they get money for it.

If -contrary to my expectation- your kid does get into reading after all, then all I can say is, almost every book is perfectly fine for a preteen to teen. Remember, many great writers started reading at a very young age, and there wasn’t a lot of children literature in the past. Many great writers read books before the age of 10 that kids today aren’t supposed to be exposed to. Even if a kid doesn‘t fully understand a book, that’s not really important. I’ve read books in my teens that I later rediscovered as an adult, and that’s an eye-opening experience. It’s the same with movies, and we all watched movies as kids we really shouldn’t have. Most books are safer than movies, so there’s really no reason your kid shouldn’t read War and Peace but the simple reason that that book‘s size is daunting even for most grownups.

For kids who don’t read a lot, I feel some light-hearted fantasy or some short historical novel is ideal. Short stories of almost any genre are also recommended. Non-fiction is a bit harder - the subject must be interesting to the reader, and the style must be captivating enough.

Tams

I feel the premise of this all is flawed.

I picked up reading as soon as I was taught to read. My mother says I first asked to be driven to a bookshop when I turned 5 and received birthday money. Growing up and seeing most other people my age shunning reading, I got the impression that you either get into books in elementary school at the latest, or chances are slim that you’ll ever become an avid reader. I don’t think you can force or coax people into becoming interested in the written word. And really, paying your kid to read? They’ll read a number of books, then use the money to buy the equipment to become a video game streamer, ‘cuz the lesson here is you get paid for consuming entertainment, lol. Oh, and of course, your kid will never read another book again unless they get money for it.

If -contrary to my expectation- your kid does get into reading after all, then all I can say is, almost every book is perfectly fine for a preteen to teen. Remember, many great writers started reading at a very young age, and there wasn’t a lot of children literature in the past. Many great writers read books before the age of 10 that kids today aren’t supposed to be exposed to. Even if a kid doesn‘t fully understand a book, that’s not really important. I’ve read books in my teens that I later rediscovered as an adult, and that’s an eye-opening experience. It’s the same with movies, and we all watched movies as kids we really shouldn’t have. Most books are safer than movies, so there’s really no reason your kid shouldn’t read War and Peace but the simple reason that that book‘s size is daunting even for most grownups.

For kids who don’t read a lot, I feel some light-hearted fantasy or some short historical novel is ideal. Short stories of almost any genre are also recommended. Non-fiction is a bit harder - the subject must be interesting to the reader, and the style must be captivating enough.

I concur. As long as they are reading something, that's great. These 'classics' can be slipped in there every now and then (and I think my suggestions are ones that aren't heavy). A few classics are great, but children need to be allowed their own agency.

Ionian

It's still taught here for young adult's 16-18 as part of final exams as part of literature.

I didn't care for it, yet it was part of final exams. Give me Hamlet or McBeth any day.

Star-Lord

His Dark Materials
Harry Potter
Hunger Games
Maze Runner
Divergent
Alex Rider
Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events
The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings
Mortal Engines
Twilight
True Blood

Tams

His Dark Materials
Harry Potter
Hunger Games
Maze Runner
Divergent
Alex Rider
Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events
The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings
Mortal Engines
Twilight
True Blood
You made the same mistake as I did initially.

OP is after 'classic' books. Great list though.

Top Bottom