• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IA/VT -Colorful- |OT| Our Inner Arts Finally Release to Paint the World

My favorite song is Liar. Though there are a lot of songs I really like.

I still have five more SSS ranks to go, but I have stopped playing due to MGSV. Not sure if I'll tackle it later. 'High level' in IA/VT isn't all that satisfying to me due to the sloppy timing.

I can't believe it myself but I've finally beaten step 13 on hard. Had a few misses at the very end but apparently it was still enough for an S ranking. :)

14 and 15 were relatively easy, gotta practice a little bit for step 16 now. The songs don't seem that hard and A rankings should be doable but there's still a lot that can go wrong with 3 songs in a row.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Huh? I'm pretty sure it saves automatically. What happened?

Unlocked all the songs without quitting because I normally just put the vita to sleep.

Closed the app because I wanted to play a bit of Danganronpa AE.

Reopened IAVT and I seemed to have lost my save.

Got confused so I keep quitting and reloading, resulting in me having to play the goddamned tutorial too many times.

So I realised something and went to see if there's a save option. There is. I saved, and then when I went to load game I didn't have to go through the tutorial again.

Unlocked all the songs without quitting because I normally just put the vita to sleep.

Closed the app because I wanted to play a bit of Danganronpa AE.

Reopened IAVT and I seemed to have lost my save.

Got confused so I keep quitting and reloading, resulting in me having to play the goddamned tutorial too many times.

So I realised something and went to see if there's a save option. There is. I saved, and then when I went to load game I didn't have to go through the tutorial again.

The game does have an auto save feature which can be disabled (but is enabled by default). You must've accidentally disabled it in the options.

Edit: On second thought, I recall the game asking upon first start-up if you want to use auto save. Maybe you said no.

Edit: On second thought, I recall the game asking upon first start-up if you want to use auto save. Maybe you said no.

Hm yeah maybe, possibly the message was all in Japanese? I think I chose a save slot the first time I started playing, since then it always auto saved.

Quite a hassle if you have to replay all songs. Which difficulty mode did you play on? I played through all songs 3 times as trophies don't stack. Especially going back to easy mode felt like quite a chore.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The game does have an auto save feature which can be disabled (but is enabled by default). You must've accidentally disabled it in the options.

I have no idea how to activate it at all then.

SephLuis

Got the game a few days ago and really liking it, but not as much as I had hoped.

Anyway, I was making step up mode and verything was fine until step 17 in hard. First one that I actually had to retry.

I am posting this because I passes this step just now and I am pretty sure I am surferring of Stockholm Syndrome. I had so many retries that I started to really like the song lol

Anyway, I was making step up mode and verything was fine until step 17 in hard. First one that I actually had to retry.

That makes me feel really bad now, haha. I probably did 50+ retries on step 13. Currently stuck at step 16 but I haven't really had the time to play more than 30 minutes in one session, which makes it harder to focus and remember the combos.

SephLuis

That makes me feel really bad now, haha. I probably did 50+ retries on step 13. Currently stuck at step 16 but I haven't really had the time to play more than 30 minutes in one session, which makes it harder to focus and remember the combos.

Step 13, I figured they change the notes, but the patterns are the same.
I played a bunch of Senran Kagura Bon Appetit, so it taught me how to handle the 8 inputs quite fast.

Step 16 is the number of cools. I also get this quite fast, but perhaps it's because I played other rhythm games

Keep trying, eventually you will get it.

ZoronMaro

This seems like the best place to ask.
I've never played any of these types of games, (due to being really, REALLY bad at them) but I've been thinking about getting in on them. I'm thinking I'll either get this or P4D. Can anybody who's played both tell me which of the two is easier? It sounds like this is easier on normal difficulty, but at harder levels it's stupid hard cause songs are long? I'd probably be happy with either but I'm curious which is more newb friendly.

SephLuis

This seems like the best place to ask.
I've never played any of these types of games, (due to being really, REALLY bad at them) but I've been thinking about getting in on them. I'm thinking I'll either get this or P4D. Can anybody who's played both tell me which of the two is easier? It sounds like this is easier on normal difficulty, but at harder levels it's stupid hard cause songs are long? I'd probably be happy with either but I'm curious which is more newb friendly.

I haven't played P4D yet, butIA/VT isn't bad as a beginner rhythm game. It has 8 inputs (4 directionals and ps buttons) and the systems could be a little confusing at first, but the easy/normal difficulties are pretty forgiving. If you want a cheaper alternative, there is Senran Kagura Bon Appetit (warning: there is fan service).

If you have a 3DS, Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX is also beginner friendly. The Project Diva on the Vita, not so much. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call is also other great choice for beginners.

Now, if you want a rhythm crash course, get Rhythm Fever for the Wii. It will teach you the very basics of rhythm and you should have no futher problems with the genre.

Sitrus

After playing through most of the songs, I have finally found my favorite song of the game:
Shinigami no Guitar - PTL0
So fun to play, especially the buildup to the verse.

Too bad it's a first print DLC which requires JP PSN. All those first print DLCs are already on the cart so why not just enable them?

ZoronMaro

I haven't played P4D yet, butIA/VT isn't bad as a beginner rhythm game. It has 8 inputs (4 directionals and ps buttons) and the systems could be a little confusing at first, but the easy/normal difficulties are pretty forgiving. If you want a cheaper alternative, there is Senran Kagura Bon Appetit (warning: there is fan service).

If you have a 3DS, Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX is also beginner friendly. The Project Diva on the Vita, not so much. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call is also other great choice for beginners.

Now, if you want a rhythm crash course, get Rhythm Fever for the Wii. It will teach you the very basics of rhythm and you should have no futher problems with the genre.

Thanks, that's helpful, although I never bought a 3DS or WiiU (my old Wii crapped out a while ago). I'll look at Bon Appetit, although I have no love nor hate for that series a cheap, easy rhythm game might be a better introduction.

Also I swear my problem with these games stems from the "I actually play guitar" guitar hero syndrome. At least that was the problem with rock band and those games, these I don't know what my problem is, maybe cause it's similar to drums? I could never handle the drums.

SephLuis

Thanks, that's helpful, although I never bought a 3DS or WiiU (my old Wii crapped out a while ago). I'll look at Bon Appetit, although I have no love nor hate for that series a cheap, easy rhythm game might be a better introduction.

Also I swear my problem with these games stems from the "I actually play guitar" guitar hero syndrome. At least that was the problem with rock band and those games, these I don't know what my problem is, maybe cause it's similar to drums? I could never handle the drums.

Bon Appetit has a weird set of songs that grew on me. I liked more the second set instead of the first, but if you want only an introduction to the genre, the first is good enough (it's $15 price also helps).

I never played instruments and had no rhythm. I did played a lot of Ouendan, but I can only say that I understood the genre after Rhythm Heaven. What Rhythm Heaven taught me was: do not trust your eyes, listen to the music. Since RH only has two buttons, it's easy to control, but hard to master.

Guitar Hero is one that I wouldn't say it's for beginners. Specially for you that can actually play a guitar, your muscle memory is already familiar to a real guitar. The other games, probably a question of time and practice and you should be doing fine.

Step 16 is the number of cools. I also get this quite fast, but perhaps it's because I played other rhythm games

The number of cools is no problem, I usually have around 1100 and only 800 are needed. I'm struggling to get an A ranking on the second song. I think I came pretty close yesterday, pulled off a 200+ chain and only missed 4 notes but eventually it was still only good enough for a B rank. I think I'm having too many safes.

I find that song particularly difficult because the notes seem too random and not go with the beat at all.

Keep trying, eventually you will get it.

I will, I came so far and want that platinum. :-D

The patterns usually don't map to any one instrument. In the vocaloid games especially they tend to map to the vocals, but this can change often during the course of a song and it's not necessarily telegraphed to you. Maybe that's part of the problem?

SephLuis

Quick question, is there a way we can play with the speed-up chart or with the random one ? Or is this only in the step up mode and we cannot choose this ?

The number of cools is no problem, I usually have around 1100 and only 800 are needed. I'm struggling to get an A ranking on the second song. I think I came pretty close yesterday, pulled off a 200+ chain and only missed 4 notes but eventually it was still only good enough for a B rank. I think I'm having too many safes.

I find that song particularly difficult because the notes seem too random and not go with the beat at all.

I haven't had much issue with the ranks except with the step where the notes dissapear.
Even when missing, I was getting S rank at least. But I did not had much safe or misses.

And some of the notes do not blend well with the music at all. It's weird. That's why I like the harder charts, because they have less of those holes and you can guide yourself along with the music.

And some of the notes do not blend well with the music at all. It's weird. That's why I like the harder charts, because they have less of those holes and you can guide yourself along with the music.

Yeah it's probably the main criticism I have with the game. Nevertheless it has somehow grown on me and I really enjoyed it. I haven't played a lot of rhythm games on the Vita, which one would you recommend the most?

SephLuis

Yeah it's probably the main criticism I have with the game. Nevertheless it has somehow grown on me and I really enjoyed it. I haven't played a lot of rhythm games on the Vita, which one would you recommend the most?

What I have:

IA/VT
Taiko no Tatsujin V
Both Hatsune Miku Project Diva
Senran Kagura Bon Appetit
DJ Max Portable 3

The ones I played the most was Hatsune. I ended up liking vocaloid a lot because of those games.

Senran Kagura is fun and the songs, while weird, grew on me. I am also a fan of the series, but not because of this game. I was quite surprised to see that Shinovi Versus had actually good writting. something rare in video games.

Taiko is also fun, but the music selection isn't really suited to my tastes. A lot of songs that I really like, but many others that I would pass.

DJ Max is the same, but oh boy, the gameplay is awesome once you get it. I think it's also the hardest of the bunch. I also have the dj max vita, but haven't played as much as I would like. Too many games >.>

EDIT: Gameplay wise, is better to check a video. But I would say in terms of challenge:

Bon Appetit < Project Diva = Taiko < DJ Max

Taiko is also fun, but the music selection isn't really suited to my tastes. A lot of songs that I really like, but many others that I would pass.

I played Taiko as well and quite like it but I couldn't handle the Oni difficulty. I picked up one of the Project Diva games on sale, will give it a go after I've completed IA/VT. How do they range in terms of difficulty?

SephLuis

I played Taiko as well and quite like it but I couldn't handle the Oni difficulty. I picked up one of the Project Diva games on sale, will give it a go after I've completed IA/VT. How do they range in terms of difficulty?

The inputs are easier, but the charts are more complex. The hard of both games are equivalent, but Project Diva has an extreme difficulty option. You should adapt to it just fine, after getting used to see the notes appear in the screen

P17CM22.jpg

Finally :)

batrush

Is this worth the import?

I had fun with it, but after a week I was back to Taiko V and F 2nd. It's way too forgiving and I'm not a fan of some aspects of the rhythm game's design. Would have liked more customization/control options. The tracks are great but they're on the longer side. Could only play a few before getting exhausted.

So I bought the first three DLC packs and I have to say that in terms of gameplay the DLC is a cut above the base game. The note charts are overall faster and offer more creative note charts than the majority of the original songs. Timing is also good across the board.
I want to give a particular shoutout to Yohanashi Diseibu which has probably the best chart in the game.

Difficulty is pretty high across the board compared to the base game but still below Project Diva's more difficult extreme charts. The PV's are all licensed and they are mostly good.

Overall a good indicator that the team behind he game is improving.

Finally nailed down challenge 16 on hard mode. That was actually fairly tough, mainly down to me losing my concentration and doing stupid things. I actually quite like the difficulty on this game, hard mode is just right for me, tough yet not unbeatable. I've really enjoyed playing through this game, time to finish off the last of the free play songs to get the platinum.

Redhood

So this game came today. So far been enjoying it although I am still going back to double wielding like PDF and messing up the arrow notes.

The songs are long. So far the 3d PV have been disappointing. IA is just standing there doing nothing. The 2d ones are really good.

I am impressed with the UI and menus. They look so sleek and polished.

My vocaloid experience has basically been limited to the Diva F games until recently, but a few weeks ago I left my cave and learned there were decent ones outside of Crypton. After a couple of YT searches I stumbled across this work of art, and 20 minutes later I'm on Nippon-Yasan importing this game.

Just finished SSS/Perfect-ing everything on hard, and I gotta say, this is probably the most fun I've had with a rhythm game (maaaybe excluding going apeshit on Donkey Konga 1/2, but my memory has trouble going back that far). The track list is absolutely exceptional in both size and quality, and I found the mechanics more suited to my tastes than Project Diva, especially with the d-pad and face buttons being separate. I'm not enough of a purist to be bothered by the lenient timings, and the absence of button mashing segments was a complete godsend, since it's easily my least favourite element in games like this.

Being unable to play the DLC is breaking my heart, not least because Shooting Star is now my favourite vocaloid song. Shout-outs to Cloud Rider, Remote Paranoia, Re;Birth, Kagerou&#8786;Variation, Light of Tomorrow, Falling Apart, God Only Knows, Killer smile and Tokyo Real World for being my favourite (non-DLC) tracks from the game.

The game's really developed my interest in vocaloid music, and I've been checking out a load of GUMI/Yukari/Lily etc. songs recently.
IA still best though.

Top Bottom