• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IA/VT -Colorful- |OT| Our Inner Arts Finally Release to Paint the World

Yasumi

Banned
Would people be interested in doing score challenges like the Project Diva and P4D OTs?

I love how there are almost no load times for this game.
I guess that's a bonus of using prerendered MVs. It's pretty much just loading a straight video file. Kind of weirds me out when I actually *do* see a loading screen.

Luigi87

I guess that's a bonus of using prerendered MVs. It's pretty much just loading a straight video file. Kind of weirds me out when I actually *do* see a loading screen.

Definitely true there.
I like a lot of the PVs in this. I also like that you can turn down their brightness, as some of them really distract against the notes.

Pouh

Been playing this since Saturday : it's very fun to play and it has a lot of content... But so far, I really don't like the playlist : out of 35+ songs, there are only 2 songs I can stand. :(
I don't think I'm picky though, I love most of Project Mirai DX songs !

Been playing this since Saturday : it's very fun to play and it has a lot of content... But so far, I really don't like the playlist : out of 35+ songs, there are only 2 songs I can stand. :(
I don't think I'm picky though, I love most of Project Mirai DX songs !

Same, honestly. So far most of the tracks are just blending together for me and I'm finding things really dull. Really craving some faster, high energy stuff. Probably doesn't help that I started playing this right after sinking a billion hours into Taiko no Tatsujin V.

Oh well, still pretty early on in the game. Presentation is nice at least.

Valkyria

Banned
Hi, I was thinking about buying this game, but right now I don't want to expend a lot of money and I am doubting between this and Taiko. I'm a huge fan of djmax but not so much of the tracks of project diva. Which one should I buy first vita GAF?

hamchan

Hi, I was thinking about buying this game, but right now I don't want to expend a lot of money and I am doubting between this and Taiko. I'm a huge fan of djmax but not so much of the tracks of project diva. Which one should I buy first vita GAF?

This game is fairly similar to Project Diva, so I think Taiko is more appropriate for you.

Volcynika

Any thing I should know before starting this? Import arrived today, just not sure if I should expect/keep anything in mind.

Luigi87

Any thing I should know before starting this? Import arrived today, just not sure if I should expect/keep anything in mind.

Anything less than 100% COLORFUL (which requires getting a COOL on the colorful notes) can drastically affect your score, as 100% during the COLORFUL segments gives you 2x score modifier, where as lower amounts decrease the modifier (IE: 80~99% = 1.8x)

Anything less than 100% COLORFUL (which requires getting a COOL on the colorful notes) can drastically affect your score, as 100% during the COLORFUL segments gives you 2x score modifier, where as lower amounts decrease the modifier (IE: 80~99% = 1.8x)

I would actually say combo is more important. It was why I was stuck on the Step Up Hard level 13 for a while because I was too focused on getting 100% colorful. I would trade a miss for a COOL on a colorful thinking the 0.2x would make up the difference. But the Chain Bonus on the end was the one that gave me the points needed to go above the rank. Also sometimes colorful segments are short and do not provide enough notes.

Finished step up mode! It was really fun though I think some of the hard steps towards the end could have been a bit harder (for example by raising the required rank).

The random modifier was probably the most challenging one due to the mixed double notes. The hide modifier wasn't as tough as I initially thought, at least when you are familiar with the rhythm of a song (though there were some parts when the note receptor was close to the edge of the screen which made the notes disappear almost instantly).
It's a shame that the modifiers aren't available for free play or list play, especially the speed+ one. I think the timing windows in IA/VT are a bit too generous which makes me play sloppy. The speed+ modifier has the side effect of decreasing timing windows which would combat that. Maybe in a sequel...

Speaking of sequels, according to media create IA/VT sold around 44.000 copies in its first two weeks. Considering that the game is very import friendly I guess that there was also a substantial number of online sales (which I think aren't tracked by media create?). Those numbers seem pretty good overall so a sequel doesn't seem out of the question. Though I doubt there are enough decent songs left. Maybe they could expand to other vocaloids?

Finished step up mode! It was really fun though I think some of the hard steps towards the end could have been a bit harder (for example by raising the required rank).

The random modifier was probably the most challenging one due to the mixed double notes. The hide modifier wasn't as tough as I initially thought, at least when you are familiar with the rhythm of a song (though there were some parts when the note receptor was close to the edge of the screen which made the notes disappear almost instantly).
It's a shame that the modifiers aren't available for free play or list play, especially the speed+ one. I think the timing windows in IA/VT are a bit too generous which makes me play sloppy. The speed+ modifier has the side effect of decreasing timing windows which would combat that. Maybe in a sequel...

Speaking of sequels, according to media create IA/VT sold around 44.000 copies in its first two weeks. Considering that the game is very import friendly I guess that there was also a substantial number of online sales (which I think aren't tracked by media create?). Those numbers seem pretty good overall so a sequel doesn't seem out of the question. Though I doubt there are enough decent songs left. Maybe they could expand to other vocaloids?

Congrats.

I agree. The Random modifier for me is the worst. I can handle Speed and Hide just fine. I think it because for one, I know the chart of the song so I expect a certain note (especially when it is like switching lines). And as you mentioned, the double notes. I can handle like different alternating single notes fine. But different double notes means I now have to look at the other line when I'm focused on the main line instead of instinctively pressing the corresponding button. It was worse when I have a different double and a normal double. I kept getting charts where it is like X and left in one and X and down in another. But one good thing was, the Random can help you sometimes. I did get charts where it was just two buttons. Just got to be lucky.

Well Gumi didn't do well if I remember correctly.

Put about 3 hours into the game so far and I'm loving it! I've liked every song so far... hope that trend continues. The Project Diva games always had a few duds in my opinion. I kind of miss the item/costume purchasing system in the PD games as well. Just unlocking stuff without buying them feels too easy!

Volcynika

Made it through Normal Step Up mode or whatever, was a bit worrisome near some of the end levels. Still gotta run through easy, then do hard. Probably will go to Free Play and do some of that first though.

It's a shame that Gumi's game was so lackluster. Voice wise my favorite vocaloid with a lot of really cool songs, for example by Deco*27. Would be great if she could get a second chance.

GUMI's voice is amazing, and there are a lot of good songs that use her. Another GUMI vocaloid game would be a dream come true. She definitely deserves a second chance.

IA and GUMI are the best vocaloids. They need more exposure.

Yasumi

Banned
Four more songs to unlock, guessing I get those at level 30. So many good ones. Kimi no Koto, Chiri Chiri Juso, Kisaragi Attention, Tokyo Real World, and Tsubasa New Days were definitely up there.

SephLuis

GUMI's voice is amazing, and there are a lot of good songs that use her. Another GUMI vocaloid game would be a dream come true. She definitely deserves a second chance.

IA and GUMI are the best vocaloids. They need more exposure.

There was a GUMI game ? Details please.

I have been listening to a few songs that GUMI is the vocal, really good.
Having a new game would be amazing (more rhythm games, yay).

Deft Beck

There was a GUMI game ? Details please.

I have been listening to a few songs that GUMI is the vocal, really good.
Having a new game would be amazing (more rhythm games, yay).

Megpoid The Music# for the PSP. Just a very, very poor showing. Songs were two minutes long, menus were unpolished, audio quality was mediocre. Mechanics were uninspired and too easy.

Meanwhile, IA/VT Colorful is gorgeous, vibrant and moving. My rhythm game of the year, by far.

Got my game earlier this week and I'm liking it a lot. I had literally zero exposure to IA previously so going through all the songs fresh is really great. With every rhythm game I go through the cycle "the first few songs are really cool -> eh I don't know everything sounds the same and is too easy -> some of the songs on hard are amazing" and it has been the same here. I generally like the notecharts but the timing is off for me in parts of some songs and it's hard to adjust sometimes.

The menus and the presentation are super stylish and clean but I think IA's 3D model looks really creepy lol. Her big eyes and her weird movements...

I usually don't use song modifiers like random or blind because I'm not into chasing highscores, but I like that IA/VT is forcing me to use them in step up. I'm stuck on hard 21 with a B ranking but I know I'm close to beating it. Overall really solid game with a ton of songs and good difficulty balance for a good price (not used to JP game prices but I paid ¥2000 more for P4DAN)

Volcynika

What is the second objective on Step 6 Hard? I swear I keep hitting all the color notes with the X button, but it keeps saying I don't clear it. D:

What is the second objective on Step 6 Hard? I swear I keep hitting all the color notes with the X button, but it keeps saying I don't clear it. D:

It worked for me after I also only used X on the multi-hit colorful notes. Not sure if it only requires X to be the last one, but only the first isn't enough. (I think that's the right stage)

Does daily play unlock anything besides trophy? I stopped playing that mode after 2-3 songs since they were all easy mode.
I don't think so unless you're wanting to chase after infinite xp. There are a few hard ones every few days that are fun so I'd say check back if you're playing that day anyway.

I wish the game told you which costumes I've used. D:

Like that there's a countdown after resuming from pausing. :D

Which UI and rhythm skin are you guys using? I'm using the clear blue UI and the 4th rhythm skin.

Has anybody here managed to platinum it yet? I was trying to go for it but step-up mode on hard seems to be pretty insane. The difficulty ramps up quite a bit. I played through almost all steps on normal mode on my first attempt but not sure if I can reach level 16 on hard to unlock the last missing costumes. :-/

hamchan

Has anybody here managed to platinum it yet? I was trying to go for it but step-up mode on hard seems to be pretty insane. The difficulty ramps up quite a bit. I played through almost all steps on normal mode on my first attempt but not sure if I can reach level 16 on hard to unlock the last missing costumes. :-/

Which step are you having trouble with? I can see the one with the vanishing notes to be difficult, but even then you can scrape by with a C rank for that one.

Which step are you having trouble with? I can see the one with the vanishing notes to be difficult, but even then you can scrape by with a C rank for that one.

I just started hard mode yesterday, I think I managed to pass the first two or three steps but realized that the difficulty went up quite a bit. I'll keep practicing and trying this week but I was looking ahead that some of the higher steps require 3 songs in a row to be cleared with at least an A rating, so I was wondering if anyone here has platinumed the game yet.

I'm still missing 2-3 other trophies, which seem to be very doable though. Will probably focus on them first.

My copy just showed up this morning, I've only messed around with a couple of songs but the presentation so far is really showing Project Diva up - I especially like the countdown when you unpause. One thing that is bugging me though, I can't seem to find any calibration for button press timing in the menus (since I'm playing on Vita TV), does this game not have that option?

My copy just showed up this morning, I've only messed around with a couple of songs but the presentation so far is really showing Project Diva up - I especially like the countdown when you unpause. One thing that is bugging me though, I can't seem to find any calibration for button press timing in the menus (since I'm playing on Vita TV), does this game not have that option?

I don't think so. P4DAN doesn't have it either.

bobawesome

That feeling when you clam up and miss the final note, ruining a potential perfect.

NYtd2Kl.gif

!

Is there no way to use modifiers like hide on songs you want outside of step up? That seems like a weird choice.

Also beating all songs on normal doesn't unlock the trophy for easy.. that's going to be a chore D:

Played though a bunch more yesterday and I'm really enjoying the game, the presentation is just incredible, note patterns are fun to play and look nice without ever being hard to follow and I really appreciate how they've not cut down the songs (Falling Apart being seven and a half mins long astounded me). It's the little touches that really separate this from Project Diva, instead of being a me-too clone it feels they spent a long while analysing everything that could be done to improve upon other rhythm games on the market.

Messiah

Just got the game and it came with a DLC code which I cant't use because I don't want to switch accounts. If someone has a use for it shoot me a PM.

Looking forward to playing later today.

Edit: It's just the costume DLC and everyone gets that with their copy I think. Sorry about that.

Placed my order with Play-Asia two days after release, and did not get the first-print bonuses. Did anyone preorder from them and get different results?

Is there an option to speed up notes at all?

Edit: Man, the third song after the tutorial is five minutes...

Top Bottom