• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IA/VT -Colorful- |OT| Our Inner Arts Finally Release to Paint the World

SHarris78

Whats up with the notes appearing later than where you'd expect them to?

Decided to play a couple of songs by sight (purely looking at the on screen button prompts) and then by where the buttons 'should' be pressed in time with the music/vocals. Following the on screen prompts ended up with a good run of 'cools' but a lot of it felt as though I was pressing buttons randomly in stead of in time with any musical cues, playing by ear my run felt good but ended with mostly 'fines'.

Some songs seem worse than others, but generally it appears to affect all songs to some degree.

Is it just me?

Placed my order with Play-Asia two days after release, and did not get the first-print bonuses. Did anyone preorder from them and get different results?

Is there an option to speed up notes at all?

Edit: Man, the third song after the tutorial is five minutes...

I got a code with my copy of the game that i never plan on using, do you want it? Not totally sure what the code is for though.

OMG Aero

Does anyone know what this popup means?
ItjKmEO.jpg
It appears every time I do a daily song.

Whats up with the notes appearing later than where you'd expect them to?

Decided to play a couple of songs by sight (purely looking at the on screen button prompts) and then by where the buttons 'should' be pressed in time with the music/vocals. Following the on screen prompts ended up with a good run of 'cools' but a lot of it felt as though I was pressing buttons randomly in stead of in time with any musical cues, playing by ear my run felt good but ended with mostly 'fines'.

Some songs seem worse than others, but generally it appears to affect all songs to some degree.

Is it just me?

You definitely have a point in that note chart quality varies across the game. Over the game seems to have a slight bias towards early button presses. However this is mostly to such a small degree that it doesn't really affect gameplay. There are some extreme cases though like "Tokyo Real World" by out of service where the notes come in incredibly early. Then there are other songs where the charts seem to be all over the place.

I actually made an observation regarding the early bias in the game (though I didn't analyze any recordings so I might be wrong with this). It seems to me that the timing i actually correct for most songs (as in that a perfectly centered hit aligns with the rhythm), but that the cool window preceding a note is larger than the cool window following. If this is correct than it implies that the early bias was deliberate on the part of the developers. Why they would do this I have no idea though.

Valkyria

Banned
Well in the end I bit the bullet and ordered this one and Taiko no Tsukin. When it arrieves I will post impressions, I hope I enjoy it.

Luigi87

I like this game, but I don't feel I'm enjoying it quite as much as I could.

My main gripe is with the movement of the track. I find its actual movement/rotation, as well as the way notes can alternate between tracks to be wholly distracting. Compared to a title like Diva where it is always obvious which note is next, or Theathrythm that has a certain flow (during BMS), here sometimes I feel it is difficult to focus on the multiple tracks (such as when you have notes coming at you left and right in quick succession). I just feel that difficulty should be primarily within the context of the music and less so in the UI.

I got a code with my copy of the game that i never plan on using, do you want it? Not totally sure what the code is for though.

Everyone here should have gotten that code with their game (it's for a DLC costume). The first-print bonus is a reversible cover with a second code.

I actually made an observation regarding the early bias in the game (though I didn't analyze any recordings so I might be wrong with this). It seems to me that the timing i actually correct for most songs (as in that a perfectly centered hit aligns with the rhythm), but that the cool window preceding a note is larger than the cool window following. If this is correct than it implies that the early bias was deliberate on the part of the developers. Why they would do this I have no idea though.

Remember the deleted mechanics, like 3D charts and manually aiming the note-catching circle?

It's possible that the timing windows were adjusted to compensate for the extra difficulty from those mechanics, and then were never readjusted. Given the troubled development of this game I don't think the developers would have been able to handle a task like re-timing every single chart consistently.

My main gripe is with the movement of the track. I find its actual movement/rotation, as well as the way notes can alternate between tracks to be wholly distracting. Compared to a title like Diva where it is always obvious which note is next, or Theathrythm that has a certain flow (during BMS), here sometimes I feel it is difficult to focus on the multiple tracks (such as when you have notes coming at you left and right in quick succession). I just feel that difficulty should be primarily within the context of the music and less so in the UI.

My problem is that, by design, you always have to watch multiple note targets on the screen at the same time, which is distracting - this is particularly bad during colorful sections when you have to watch both sides of a huge circle. I would say that every other successful rhythm game either has one fixed target, or else is designed to lead your eyes towards where the notes are moving.

Luigi87

My problem is that, by design, you always have to watch multiple note targets on the screen at the same time, which is distracting - this is particularly bad during colorful sections when you have to watch both sides of a huge circle. I would say that every other successful rhythm game either has one fixed target, or else is designed to lead your eyes towards where the notes are moving.

Exactly this. I feel too often I'm playing against the game itself rather than the music sheets.

Still having fun with it, but ultimately I'm still looking more forward to Mirai DX, P4DAN, and Magical Girls Festival.

I just finished full-comboing all the songs. Not sure if I'm going for all SSS ranks (currently at 53 songs) since they require very high Cool percentages. Anyway, here are some more random thoughts on the game:

- Overall I agree with the recent sentiments that the difficulty in IA/VT mostly comes from obfuscating charts via confusing. Although Project Diva is more freestyle with its note placement it does a much better job of guiding the player along. In IA/VT I sometimes have the feeling that the note charts are working against me.

- The game is overall much slower than PD or Taiko, which the devs tried to offset with more complicated note charts. Can't say I'm a big fan of that, always preferred the faster songs in rhythm games.

- I really like the concept of building the score multiplier during verses and then going to town in the choruses. It's a great combination of gameplay and song structure. However I feel that the system is a bit too punishing in that a single colorful note that you only get a Fine on will ruin your score multiplier. This makes it pretty hard to get SSS ranks on the more frantic songs.
I would propose one of the following alterations to the system:
1. Make it so that Fine hits on colorful notes still max your bar.
2. Make it so that the score multiplier increases in 0.1 steps (so that a colorful bar of above 90% would give you a 1.9x multiplier).
I think that either of the above would be sufficient to make the scoring system less arbitrary (personally I would prefer number 2).

- How could the forget to add random song selection? Unbelievable.

- The licensed PVs are mostly great.
The 3D PVs are decent but pretty sterile. Dancing is mostly nonexistent as is singing. It's mostly just IA posing in front of random backgrounds and came rotating around. Though I don't want to criticize this too much since the budget was obviously limited.
The game original 2D PVs are a missed opportunity imo. They are mostly some abstract backgrounds with some official IA art on top. They could have easily made them much more memorable by contracting different artists to provide original IA artwork for the songs (or just license some stuff off of pixiv). I can't imagine this costing too much. As is they all feel a bit samey.

- Score uploads should be automatic whenever you enter the network tab. As is the leader boards are a bit barren.

Although that sounded mostly negative I want to stress that I enjoy the game quite a lot. I'm just a natural nitpicker ;)

Does anyone have a list of all the different types of challenges in Step Up mode? Because i have no clue what i have to do at step 6(normal) , it has a multicolour circle in the list, but i have no idea what it means.

muteki

Does anyone have a list of all the different types of challenges in Step Up mode? Because i have no clue what i have to do at step 6(normal) , it has a multicolour circle in the list, but i have no idea what it means.

I think for that one you have to hit all the color notes using X only.

TheChaos0

- How could the forget to add random song selection? Unbelievable.

Ouch, that's the only way I play PD, once I've unlocked all the songs. Unless, I really want to do something with a particular song. I hate choosing songs!

However I feel that the system is a bit too punishing in that a single colorful note that you only get a Fine on will ruin your score multiplier. This makes it pretty hard to get SSS ranks on the more frantic songs.

It's not that much different from technical zones, is it? Now that I think about it, it's really technical zones and chance times merged into one mechanic.

Maybe the problem is there being too many colorful sections in one song, which goes back to the song length problem.

The 3D PVs are decent but pretty sterile. Dancing is mostly nonexistent as is singing. It's mostly just IA posing in front of random backgrounds and came rotating around. Though I don't want to criticize this too much since the budget was obviously limited.

Editing the songs would have solved this problem as well! With the full-length PVs we've ended up with more blatant filler shots than actual content. Worst of all is Killer Smile, which is literally just 1/3 of a PV repeated three times.

It's not that much different from technical zones, is it? Now that I think about it, it's really technical zones and chance times merged into one mechanic.

Maybe the problem is there being too many colorful sections in one song, which goes back to the song length problem.

Technical zones do not require the player to hit all Cools. The colorful markers do (at least if you want a decent rank in the end).

Garraboa

Got the game around 2 weeks ago. I'm really happy with it. The amount of songs is staggering, even without the DLC. The note path might get a bit mangled during some songs, and the lack of SEE THE LIGHTS is a bit disappointing, but overall I'm satisfied with this game. I'll have to see if either this or Project Mirai DX becomes my rhythm GOTY.

One thing struck me as odd, though. The vocals on Inner Arts sound very different on the game and the official MV than the ones on the trailers. The former are waaaaaayyy better though. The ones on the trailer sound so souless and gave me a very bad first impression on IA the first time I heard them.

luminous

One thing struck me as odd, though. The vocals on Inner Arts sound very different on the game and the official MV than the ones on the trailers. The former are waaaaaayyy better though. The ones on the trailer sound so souless and gave me a very bad first impression on IA the first time I heard them.

The IA ROCKS version of Inner Arts is so good. The guy who tuned IA for that, Ciel, is one of the most talented Vocaloid users. I'm still puzzled as to why they kept using the basic sounding version after the first few trailers

Technical zones do not require the player to hit all Cools. The colorful markers do (at least if you want a decent rank in the end).

I don't mind that, per se... But that's yet another issue I think would be much improved with shorter songs, so that you don't have to redo so much when you get one colorful marker wrong!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So after a period of time which I have scientifically calculated as fucking forever, my copy arrived.

God I hate SAL.

First impressions is that it's really easy so far.

Got my copy yesterday, which was surprising as I'd ordered it from YesAsia less than two weeks ago and normally I expect their deliveries to take a month or so. The number of songs sounded large in the abstract, but looking at the song select screen in grid view really makes it obvious how much content there is. Also digging how long the songs are, I feel like most rhythm games intentionally cut down song lengths for some reason (didn't even realize the KARA songs in DJMAX weren't full-length for the longest time).

Having never heard any IA tracks besides the ones in the IA/VT trailers (RIP SEE THE LIGHTS), I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I like what I've heard so far. Miku songs are fine but I think I like the stuff in IA/VT more. I think my only real complaint at this stage was hearing that there are separate trophies for Easy and Normal, and the Normal trophies don't automatically get you Easy ones. Easy is a little snore-inducing right now.

Also digging how long the songs are, I feel like most rhythm games intentionally cut down song lengths for some reason (didn't even realize the KARA songs in DJMAX weren't full-length for the longest time).

As we've discussed recently, music games trend toward shorter song lengths because there's a limit to how long gameplay focus can be maintained. People going for scores don't want to have to start a six minute song over again because they made a mistake at the five minute mark. The long song lengths are probably the number one reason I haven't given this game much more time over other games.

I would really love to platinum this game (only 2 trophies missing now) but the step up mode on hard is too hardcore for me. I'm currently stuck at level 13. Two songs on hard, random notes, both finishing at S or above? I'm pretty far away from that... :(

Am I missing something or am I simply getting too old? Should I just keep trying and hope for very easy random notes? I've made it quite far, so I'm reluctant to give up just yet but this challenge seems impossible to me.

As we've discussed recently, music games trend toward shorter song lengths because there's a limit to how long gameplay focus can be maintained. People going for scores don't want to have to start a six minute song over again because they made a mistake at the five minute mark. The long song lengths are probably the number one reason I haven't given this game much more time over other games.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense actually. I always kind of assumed it was because they didn't want to give us the full songs, especially in the case of licensed songs, but the gameplay thing is a much better explanation.

I guess it'd be nice if they gave you the option to marathon it out or play an edited version, then!

macklelol

So uh, what's the differences between step up and free play?
Step Up mode is like a mission mode: have to clear songs with modifiers (faster note speed, sorta randomized notes, notes fading out) while meeting certain criteria (ranking, max chain, # of cools) to progress.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Y'know, I really like the style of this game, and in a lot of ways I like it more than the diva games, but man you can tell that the P. Div series has a lot more production compared to this, where sometimes it's just a static picture of IA appearing once in awhile, or a static jpeg slowly zooming out for the entire song.

Still struggling with step 13 on hard difficulty. The closest I came was S & A twice. How hard are steps 14-16 compared to step 13? Is it getting any easier or just even tougher?

Edit: Had around 5 times S&A now, I think I'm giving up for today. I perfected the first of the two songs multiple times but the second song is giving me a hard time, especially if I have to use 4+ buttons for the song. :(

Deft Beck

Y'know, I really like the style of this game, and in a lot of ways I like it more than the diva games, but man you can tell that the P. Div series has a lot more production compared to this, where sometimes it's just a static picture of IA appearing once in awhile, or a static jpeg slowly zooming out for the entire song.

It has a lower budget, but I think it has enough of its own identity that it works. Maybe they'd get a bigger budget in a sequel.

Still struggling with step 13 on hard difficulty. The closest I came was S & A twice. How hard are steps 14-16 compared to step 13? Is it getting any easier or just even tougher?

Edit: Had around 5 times S&A now, I think I'm giving up for today. I perfected the first of the two songs multiple times but the second song is giving me a hard time, especially if I have to use 4+ buttons for the song. :(

I actually found 14-16 much easier. 14 and 15 I finished in one play. I think 16 only 3 retries.

The only tip is to maintain the combo even if means getting a safe (since safe doesn't break the combo). Also since pressing the wrong button doesn't count as a hit, you may also have time to press the correct button if you are fast enough.

The chain bonus at the end will give you the points needed for an S as long as you don't overly mess up the rest of the song. I think I had around 250-300 max combo for the 2nd song (not sure) for the S. Try out the song in Free Play and find the minimum max combo you need.

Also you may get lucky. Since the Random modifier can create a 2 button chart. I had that a couple of times.

I actually found 14-16 much easier. 14 and 15 I finished in one play. I think 16 only 3 retries.

The only tip is to maintain the combo even if means getting a safe (since safe doesn't break the combo). Also since pressing the wrong button doesn't count as a hit, you may also have time to press the correct button if you are fast enough.

The chain bonus at the end will give you the points needed for an S as long as you don't overly mess up the rest of the song. I think I had around 250-300 max combo for the 2nd song (not sure) for the S. Try out the song in Free Play and find the minimum max combo you need.

Thanks for all the tips. I feel pretty comfortable with the first song, I usually restart it until I get either a 2 or 3 button chart. I probably need to practice the second song a bit, especially the beginning and the end can be quite tricky. On my best attempt I had merely 2 misses, but it only turned out to be A rank. :(

Also you may get lucky. Since the Random modifier can create a 2 button chart. I had that a couple of times.

I usually do this for the first song, so I can quite easily get an S rank. However I haven't had much luck on the second song. I often get 4 button charts, which makes the double notes quite difficult. I will keep trying this week. I came pretty close, don't want to give up yet. :)

Finished all songs on Easy and Normal (I'm not amazing at rhythm games so I don't know how far I'll make it through Hard). I think this is the first time I've managed to play all the songs in a rhythm game not named Rock Band. Personally, I like this more than Project Diva f, though I do need to go back to that game again on Vita. I tried playing a song just now and I'm totally messed up now, can't read the Diva note charts at all and have basically forgotten how to play. Oh well.

IA/VT feels like a much slicker package, and the music is more to my liking, which I wasn't expecting. I still don't consider myself a vocaloid fan at all, but it's nice when you do well on a song because you liked it enough that you know how the song goes without having to sit down and memorize the note chart. Glad I picked it up, and thank god Marvelous didn't mess this one up!

I too am in step 13 despair.

Really enjoying the game though.

Still haven't beaten it either, after at least 10-20 attempts (not including aborted ones). Didn't have much time to play the last few days but I still plan to keep going as I came really close before.

SephLuis

I just finished normal mode and I really hope hard is tough.

Still, great game. I hope we see another one with a little more diversity in music styles.
Also, Senran Kagura Bon Appetit did more interesting things with the button combinations that this game. And it's from the same producer.

Also, they could make a GUMI game now that they are available.

I just finished normal mode and I really hope hard is tough.

Still, great game. I hope we see another one with a little more diversity in music styles.
Also, Senran Kagura Bon Appetit did more interesting things with the button combinations that this game. And it's from the same producer.

Also, they could make a GUMI game now that they are available.
Did you catch my stream last night? I played specifically DLC for the most part, which seemed to up the difficulty significantly from what I had encountered in the main game up to that point. I'm only level 14 or so though, so I don't quite have everything unlocked.

SephLuis

Did you catch my stream last night? I played specifically DLC for the most part, which seemed to up the difficulty significantly from what I had encountered in the main game up to that point. I'm only level 14 or so though, so I don't quite have everything unlocked.

Not yet, will watch it later. I have to listen to the DLC songs, I am not much happy about changing the Vita region D=

Still stuck at level 13/hard after probably 50+ attempts. Pretty much every time I'm getting an S/A rank, which isn't enough. Haven't had much luck with getting an easy button chart on the second song, so I always miss a few notes towards the end. :(

I will keep trying this weekend, otherwise I think it's time to give up and move on to another game. '-(

Top Bottom