• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition announced

http://icewinddale.com/

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w17vHsQz5oM

Evil is growing beneath the Spine of the World.

In the northernmost reaches of the Forgotten Realms lies the region of icy tundra known as Icewind Dale. Journey deep into the Spine of the World mountains, a harsh and unforgiving territory settled by only the hardiest folk. Beneath the carven glaciers and mountainsides, you must confront an evil that schemes to wreak destruction upon the face of Faerûn. This is the world of Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition.

Originally released in 2000, Icewind Dale is a Dungeons & Dragons game set in Wizards of The Coast's legendary Forgotten Realms. This Enhanced Edition allows players to experience the epic adventure on PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Android tablets and phones, and includes a host of new features:

-Swords and Sorcery: Discover dozens of new spells and items, including new magic armor and weapons.
-Blackguards and Wizard Slayers: Select from over 30 new kits and classes to create the perfect adventuring party.
-Bring A Friend: Join your fellow adventurers in cooperative, cross-platform multiplayer games.
-See The Unseen: Explore quest content cut from the original game, now finished and restored.
-More to Experience: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition includes both the Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster expansion packs.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When will Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition release?
A: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition has entered beta and will release "when it's ready" to ensure the best experience for players, likely within a month.

Q: What specific enhancements does Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition offer over the original game?
A: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition features the following enhancements:

Six expanded quests, featuring content cut from the original game
60 new items
Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster expansions
31 new class and kit combinations from Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, well as the half-orc playable race
122 new spells carried over from Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
Cross-platform multiplayer
A new "Story Mode" difficulty setting to allow players to experience all of the story with none of the Game Over screens
Available for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android

Q: What are the system requirements?
A: The system requirements are as follows:

Windows:

Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent
Storage: 2 GB of hard drive space
Video Card: Direct X 9.0c capable video card

Mac:

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent
Storage: 2 GB of hard drive space

iOS:

Operating System: iOS 5.1 or newer
Storage: 2 GB of free space

Android:

Operating System: Android 4.0 or later
Storage: 2 GB of free space

Q: If I purchase on one platform, do I need to purchase the game on another?
A: With Steamplay, when you buy the game on Steam you can install it on Mac or Windows.

Buying from the iTunes App Store allows you to install and play the game on any of your iOS devices that meet the requirements, including iPad and iPhone devices.

Buying from Google Play allows you to install and play the game on any of your Android devices that meet the requirements.

Buying from Beamdog directly allows you to install and play the game on any Windows or Mac machine you own, provided that it meets the system requirements.

Q: Does the game come with DRM?
A: No, the game does not use any internal form of DRM. Beamdog requires a one-time activation during installation, but after that you can play the game offline or even transfer it to another computer you own for easy back-up. Steam, iTunes, and Google Play may have other requirements from the retailer.

Q: Can I import a Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition or Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition character?
A: No, you'll need to create a new character for your game in Icewind Dale. We have provided a collection of six custom-built pre-generated characters for your party to start, which you can either use or replace with your own creations.

Q: Is there any DLC for Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition?
A: There are no additional in-app purchases required to access all of the content in Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition. Play the entire game with all its features, no matter what platform you're playing it on.

Q: What languages is Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition available in?
A: At launch, Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition will have support for English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish.

Q: What do I get for pre-ordering?
A: In addition to an exclusive forum badge, you will be eligible for a chance to be selected to participate in the Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition beta. Once you have pre-ordered the game from Beamdog, fill out this form to enter the selection pool.

screen06.png

screen03.png

screen02.png

screen04.png

The best story of all the rpgs of that era... Because it basically had none so you made up your own.

You role played, and it was glorious.

I don't think I could do that anymore :(

Zia

If I remember correctly, didn't their Baldur's Gate(s) launch with major issues? Did they ever polish them up?

DJ_Lae

Count me in. I played a ton of the two Baldur's Gate games at the time, and Planescape Torment, but never touched either Icewind Dale for whatever reason.

What better time to rectify that?

I think I still prefer BG to IWD for the better characters and writing but this game has some of the absolute best atmosphere of any RPG. Music and environments are consistently amazing the whole way through. Just remembering the feel of Kuldahar or the
undead elf tower place whatever it was called

I never played the Luremaster expansion even though it was free IIRC. Definitely picking this up. Any ideas on what the expanded quests are? Sidequests or whole new areas?

Storywise, they aren't related at all. You make your own party characters here.

In fact, Icewind Dale is more focused on gameplay than story.

Not at all

Yes, but only because they're really good. :p

haha thanks guys. I actually bought BG1 this summer sale but trying to get into it was a challenge for a D&D newbie. I have a multi-page pdf file I need to go over to learn the rules/etc but just haven't gotten around to it.

Do I need to have played BG1 or 2? Don't shoot me
I've never played either.

Well yes, you need to play them.

But only in general. IWD takes place using similar mechanics, but there is no link in story or anything like that. For people who are not really aware:

IWD: Combat heavy, story light.
BG: Somewhere in between.
PT: Story heavy, combat light.

What I loved about IWD is how understated everything is. You are not really out to end a great evil or save the world. You are just a bunch of adventurers out having an adventure.

Luckily the combat focus was incredibly well done. You might walk through a map with not much to do until you come across an enemy stronghold. The battles then reflect how that stronghold would be logically set up (outer defences then some traps etc). This lets you really use your characters to approach each situation carefully. For example sending a thief in first to scout out targets, preparing your spells and so on.

It was so refreshing compared to other action focused games like Dungeon Siege which were just one monster filled room after another, with no thought as to why there would be such a place and why the monsters didn't organise themselves properly. In IWD the encounters at least make sense.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Bad timing...I'm near the end of Icewind Dale after starting it a few months ago. Excellent game.

I'm extremely skeptical that Beamdog won't destroy the game's balance with their BG2 classes and spells. I expect tons of new players to experience completely broken encounters and to wonder what people saw in the game's combat.

haha thanks guys. I actually bought BG1 this summer sale but trying to get into it was a challenge for a D&D newbie. I have a multi-page pdf file I need to go over to learn the rules/etc but just haven't gotten around to it.

Icewind Dale will definitely teach you the combat rules anyway. I kind of like the way the Infinity Engine RPGs each have a different focus on combat/story. Icewind Dale is all about the combat, Torment is all about the story and BG is somewhere in between.

edit: beat me to it.

Bad timing...I'm near the end of Icewind Dale after starting it a few months ago. Excellent game.

I'm extremely skeptical that Beamdog won't destroy the game's balance with their BG2 classes and spells. I expect tons of new players to experience completely broken encounters and to wonder what people saw in the game's combat.

I hadn't thought of this but this might actually be a big problem for IWD in particular.

Giolon

Super awesome. I never played these back in the day b/c a lot of people shit on them compared to the BG series, yet now everybody seems to retroactively love them. I'm down for buying a Windows and iOS copy. Hopefully they'll get to IWD2 after this.

hidys

I'll probably buy this when it comes out.

I have to admit I'm disappointed by this announcement. I was hoping for Planescape Torrment.

Capra

Not double dipping since the original + widescreen & content mods works flawlessly, but more people experiencing this fantastic game is always a good thing.

Gonna commit some blasphemy with these words, but two Summers ago when I played all the ADnD 2.0 Infinity Engine games for the first time Icewind Dale was my favorite by far. Yup, even compared to BG2 and Planescape Torment. The music and visuals, the minimalist story, the classic roleplaying experience of creating every character yourself, and above all else, THE COMBAT, elevate IWD above all else. It just feels like the most pure, well-rounded, "perfect" game of the bunch. Oh, and it has a little thing called brevity and doesn't pad itself out with crappy early-game fedex quests or grinding. IWD is about tackling tricky, cleverly-constructed combat scenarios one after the other and it doesn't care to waste the player's time bullshitting around.

Pillars of Eternity is my most anticipated game this year, but honestly while I love Obsidian's characters and writing what I'm looking forward to the most is being able to hire my own personally-constructed mercenaries. After playing Icewind Dale I just can't go back to relying on prebuilt characters.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the voice acting. Nice thing about having so little dialogue, you can afford to give what characters do speak some fantastic voice actors.

This was such a good game. I think it was also really one of the first PC games I played where I felt I must have the soundtrack. Some times I wish my backlog wasn't so ridiculous, I'd love to play a game like this again. It would really help if I wasn't hopelessly addicted to RPG's, because even a few games in the backlog is hundreds of hours :D

Altazor

Good timing. I'm playing through BG2 now (GOG version modded) for the first time, when I finish that one I'll play Planescape: Torment and after that... I guess I'll chill out (?) a bit with Icewind Dale. Hopefully IW2 EE is out by then :p

Though the prospect of creating my entire party from scratch kinda frightens me. I don't think I'm that good at picking skills for characters from a system I barely understand (D&D). I'm getting the hang of it, I guess. BG2 is a stern and demanding teacher, but it's useful. You seem to learn.

kevin1025

Banned
Very much looking forward to this. I only made it two hours into the game back in the day (a wolf ambush proved too much for my young mind). Really happy all of these classic PC RPG's are coming back, as I missed out on so many of them when they first released.

Arulan

While it's nice they're attempting to add some modern touches and bring the game to more people I can't help but feel they should be doing something original. For the most part the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions were unneeded and introduced additional issues. I would still recommend the GOG versions (with a few mods) over them (Unless they've gotten a lot better in the last 6-12 months).

vocab

You are putting in way more work than needed to play BG1. You don't need to know any rules. The game does the d&D bullshit for you. Make a class and just go. The only difference IWD has is that you actually have to buy gear for your party straight from the start.

linko9

Why are all the people in the trailer named after Giant Bomb dudes? Some sort of weird cross promotion?

Alrus

I just recently went through IWD still need to work on Heart of Winter but I got a bit burned after so much combat.

The new kits and spells could be cool but I don't think I'd have the will to go through the whole game again.

I'll probably get IWD 2: EE if it's ever coming though, I never really got into it when it came out(new D&D rules confused the heck out of me and I felt like too much documentation was needed to build a decent party).

Minsc

Gold Member
Really great game, glad to see it getting more exposure.

But Haste! Nothing is more broken in the infinity engine D&D games than Haste (which is in Icewind Dale), especially when a single instance hits your whole party (I don't remember it working like that in the paper editions) :p

Durock

Sorry for my potential ignorance, but this has nothing to do with Drizzt Do' Urden does it? Huge, HUGE fan of R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt Saga so upon seeing Icewind Dale, I got fairly excited!

Altazor

Sorry for my potential ignorance, but this has nothing to do with Drizzt Do' Urden does it? Huge, HUGE fan of R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt Saga so upon seeing Icewind Dale, I got fairly excited!

AFAIK, just the setting.

But if I remember correctly Drizzt appears on Baldur's Gate 1 (and 2? if so I haven't found him yet)

Top Bottom