• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you had to choose, what's the best WRPG ever made?

MujkicHaris

Currently playing a no fast travel playthrough and the world feels like my second home. It's my Dragon Quest VIII of WRPGs.
I don't usually paint fan art but I love this game so much that I had to express it somehow.

e65a0b45544a76692c230a2d78f09fa8286a2493.jpg

Tams

RuneScape. The quest writing is fantastic for the silly, whimsical, fantasy tone.

Though I haven't played any of the voice acted stuff. Game had gone to shit by then.

Wildebeest

Pre 2000 retro categories

Narrative/Adventure - Planescape: Torment
Computer RPG - Fallout
Immersive Sim - System Shock 2
Dungeon Crawl - Dungeon Master
Tactics - Jagged Alliance 2

The best recent CRPG is Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Blueghost

Neo Member
Baldur’s gate 2, still the king of isometric crpgs in my opinion, great characters, story, music, simply amazing game.

Handel

Currently my favorite WRPG is Dragon Age Origins, though I haven't played Planescape Torment and the one time I tried playing Baldur's Gate 2 the gameplay wasn't clicking for me so need to give that another shot. DAO is just really satisfying as an epic adventure in the style of LOTR going to multiple lands to gather allies, with a cast of party members tied with FFVI for my favorite in gaming, great world building(DA dwarves are the best I've encountered), excellent branching narratives within the areas that has tangible gameplay impact during the ending, and really good mage gameplay(gameplay as other classes still decent to good largely, two-hander though rather rough).

StereoVsn

Modern classic: Disco Elysium
Modern 3rd person: Witcher 3
Old school classic: Baldurs Gate 2
First person: Skyrim or New Vegas
This is so spot on it could have been my pick, lol.

I could change out Disco Elysium for Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous or BG2 for Fallout 2 depending on day of the week.

Both Bethesda games can only achieve greatness with mods though, so PC (Skyrim on Xbox One X or Series X works too).

Hell, could replace W3 with ME1 as well if fancy strikes Sci-Fi more then Fantasy.

Separately (in response to numerous posts) IMO, ME2 is not really and truly an RPG. Too much has been streamlined and it's more of an action - adventure game with RPG elements. Kind of like Cyberpunk 2077.

I do really like ME2 and it flushes out a lot of ME character stories. I also like Cyberpunk for what it is as well, especially with some of newer mods.

Chukhopops

For me it’s Divinity: Original Sin 2.

It’s simply perfect in every aspect, story, combat, soundtrack, replayability, characters. I just can’t find any flaw with it.

Then I’d put Morrowind second although it’s not as mind blowing today as it was 23 years ago.

nkarafo

A question about those who mention Oblivion as the best one.

Was it your first WRPG?

I'm not trying to sound condescending but i'm trying to understand how someone who likes RPGs can also like Oblivion's completely bonkers level scaling system?

One of the best and most rewarding things about RPGs, leveling your character and making him stronger, is pretty much missing in this game. What's the point of leveling up when the whole world scales with you anyway? It's even possible to beat this game by not leveling at all since the rest of the world stays low level like you. How is this rewarding or makes sense in such a game?

The idea was to avoid making your character too OP and allow the enemies in the game to be somewhat challenging all the time. Well, if you want that then remove the leveling system entirely and make a Zelda clone or something.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Witcher was made in Poland right? That’s not western. That’s a European RPG. 🤔

I liked Oblivion. I played a lot of it on 360 and PS3. The guild quests and oblivion gates were fun. It felt like a buffet. All these little places to go to and explore. It felt like more vibrant and colorful Morrowind. My biggest gripe was the weapons looked the same after a while. Skyrim improved upon a lot of Oblivion’s graphics. I really liked Mass Effect 2. I own/played quite a few Ultima games and I’ve never finished them. I feel like I never truly sunk my teeth into them for more than a week or two. I enjoy hearing about older WRPGs that I never got to play. I own Neverwinter series, Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2, and quite a few on GOG. Those are fun, but I’m not an expert at the meaty stuff some of these games have to offer outside the main quest line. KotOR is good and that remake sounds too good to be true. ME2 had me asking what mistakes I made to have such terrible events happen to my crew, so that’s a big plus. I enjoy Fallout 3/4 for the exploration. Lots of them are good. I was always a console person before I started buying Steam/GOG. My first experience with Half-Life 2 and Deus Ex were their Xbox and PS2 versions.

Last edited:

ungalo

New Vegas because it's a mix of all the things i love.

Oblivion was also a pretty good mix between RPG and adventure. But it feels slightly more generic.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't enjoy them much.. but I will say Oblivion was very impressive at the time. I liked it more for that reason I think..

cireza

I really loved both D&D games on MD/MCD :

ddwamg0f.jpg

eye-of-the-beholder-e173154.jpg

(MCD version was ported by a Japanese team)

Last edited:
Top Bottom