• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition announced

Darklord

Banned
screen04.png

Shoemaker, Caravella, and Ryckert? I wonder if we'll be getting a video from GB soon?

greenfish

Banned
What the fuck?

No seriously what the fuck?

Ipad version came out 9 months ago with game breaking bugs, STILL NO patch.

After android bg ee everyone thought ios was getting a patch on bg 2 ee but instead bg ee 1.3 came out.

Now they are announcing icewind dale instead of fixing ipad version?

So beamdog is now the new gearbox (randy liarfatford) ???

They had over 9 months to release a patch on ios, instead they are releasing icewind dale..... wow just wow

I never understood the appeal for Icewind Dale. It was just the IE engine combat. That's it. The story was incredibly shallow and the character development was non-existent. If you wanted story you had Planescape and BG2, both of which have the same type of combat system this does. It's only redeeming quality was the music, which was pretty good, but better than Jeremy Soule's score for BG2? I think not. In short there are much better games to play regardless of what you are looking for.

mclem

Oddly, I was just wondering if they'd do this a day or two ago (having recently played through the BG Enhanced Edition). On the one-hand, it seems a no-brainer, but on the other, IWD tends to be the 'forgotten' infinity engine series.

Rad-

I never understood the appeal for Icewind Dale. It was just the IE engine combat. That's it. The story was incredibly shallow and the character development was non-existent. If you wanted story you had Planescape and BG2, both of which have the same type of combat system this does. It's only redeeming quality was the music, which was pretty good, but better than Jeremy Soule's score for BG2? I think not. In short there are much better games to play regardless of what you are looking for.

I agree but it's still a decent game for its gameplay.

mclem

I'm extremely skeptical that Beamdog won't destroy the game's balance with their BG2 classes and spells. I expect tons of new players to experience completely broken encounters and to wonder what people saw in the game's combat.

Would it not be possible to mod out the BG2 content?

IvorB

I couldn't give two figs about the story to be honest. I just want some of that classic AD&D gameplay.

Grief.exe

What the fuck?

After android bg ee everyone thought ios was getting a patch on bg 2 ee but instead bg ee 1.3 came out.

They had over 9 months to release a patch on ios, instead they are releasing icewind dale..... wow just wow

I would look to the publisher for those issues. Assuredly, Beamdog's QA staff is aware of the issues, but Atari isn't providing adequate funding to go back and fix them.

Altazor

Icewind Dale still has some great art, it doesn't need to remade as a Unity game.

Indeed. Haven't played it yet, like I mentioned previously, but I found this Imgur album with all the prerendered backgrounds of the game. Simply beautiful.

Then again, I'm a sucker for isometric, pre-rendered backdrops. These are top notch.

I just hope IWD: EE isn't very buggy when launches. Sadly, considering the dev's history, I'm afraid it will be.

greenfish

Banned
I would look to the publisher for those issues. Assuredly, Beamdog's QA staff is aware of the issues, but Atari isn't providing adequate funding to go back and fix them.

Hmm wasn't aware of this. Do you have some sort of source I can enlighten my self? Kinda weird since they just released 1.3 on BG EE, everyone just assumed ios was next not icewind dale...

If we look at beamdogs track record it's always the same formula, release a product riddled with bugs, wait a long time and then start the actual patch process. I feel sorry for the new bg2 ios customers who are not aware of these bugs.

They are claiming to be working on the patch for ios

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34162/where-is-the-patch-for-bg2-ios#latest

KKRT00

Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent
Storage: 2 GB of hard drive space
Video Card: Direct X 9.0c capable video card

lol, they must be joking.

greenfish

Banned
Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent
Storage: 2 GB of hard drive space
Video Card: Direct X 9.0c capable video card

lol, they must be joking.

i'm pretty sure noone want's to list specs that are 15 years old. What would be the point of showing "voodo1 minimum and 75hz" processor when 99% of our computers are decades faster?

Hell the phone you're using right now is faster then the pc in 2000

terrisus

Woo!

As much as I love the Baldur's Gate games, Icewind Dale is my favorite Infinity Engine game.
I own the original discs, and have them through GoG as well, but I'm sure I'll end up buying this too.

i'm pretty sure noone want's to list specs that are 15 years old. What would be the point of showing "voodo1 minimum and 75hz" processor when 99% of our computers are decades faster?

And they don't want to have to offer support for ancient PCs.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Supposedly BG2EE Android was to be next after the BGEE 1.13 patch that recently hit all platforms (including Android).

We shall see, I guess.

Sothpaw

Icewind Dale I is pretty top tier at least as far as combat goes. I wasn't a huge fan of Trials of the Luremaster but the bast game and Heart of Winter were great. Probably will get this.

Seanspeed

Banned
Not everybody wants story and character-driven experiences all the time.

KKRT00

They should just write 'Any PC' or 'Toaster' :)

Ps. My Icewind Dale case says Pentium II 233 Mhz, 32MB RAM, 600mb on HDD and Win95/98/XP :)

terrisus

They should just write 'Any PC' or 'Toaster' :)

Ps. My Icewind Dale case says Pentium II 233 Mhz, 32MB RAM, 600mb on HDD and Win95/98/XP :)

If they get it running on a TI-89 (or 86 or NSpire-CX CAS), I'm there Day 1!

Despite pst and bg2 being arguably better games, iwd is the one I replay the most.

This.

Maybe it is because it cuts staright into the best part of Infinity Engine - the combat system.

IWD is a worse game than BG2 but it is so much easier and more fun to replay.

That is precisely the appeal. The IE engine combat. All fat trimmed off.

IvorB

What the fuck?

Oh yeah I remember BG:EE is buggy as hell. I'll stay away from this then.

terrisus

For anyone who just wants to experience these amazing games, there are the versions available on GoG, which all work great.

Varna

Mixed feelings... on the one hand, FUCK YES.

I would just hate to have to wait months to actually be playing it because of tons of issues introduced. Loved running a four man group through this game. Hopefully this means IWD2 some time down the line. It was one of only two of these oldschool RPGs to have the third edition rules.

terrisus

How will this be any better than the widescreen mod/unofficial patches?

They won't, just as the previous Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Editions haven't been.

Unless one is getting it for Android or iOS, there's no advantage to paying extra for these.

Sykotik

They won't, just as the previous Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Editions haven't been.

Unless one is getting it for Android or iOS, there's no advantage to paying extra for these.

BGEE and BG2EE run significantly better than the originals do, for me. The ease of just firing up the game without going through all the hoops with the numerous separate mod installers is also a large plus. The inclusion of some of the fan-patches was also welcome. Actual widescreen resolution support with a very sharp UI, as well as the inclusion of a zoom-in and zoom-out feature were also great.

I disagree there is no advantage to owning these over the originals.

BGEE and BG2EE run significantly better than the originals do, for me. The ease of just firing up the game without going through all the hoops with the numerous separate mod installers is also a large plus. The inclusion of some of the fan-patches was also welcome. Actual widescreen resolution support with a very sharp UI, as well as the inclusion of a zoom-in and zoom-out feature were also great.

I disagree there is no advantage to owning these over the originals.

BG2EE still needs one more patch, but we're past the point where the originals are a better alternative to the EEs, especially for BG1. The UI improvements are enough that I would never go back to the original games.

Durante

I assume it will be easier to get a multiplayer game going.

I played IWD1 in coop this year, and we had to tunnel IPX over IP in a VPN to make it work. I think many people simply couldn't play that game online anymore.

Might be a bit off topic, but is there any reason why the mac version of BG2EE isnt on steam?

afaik on GoG it has the mac version and IDEE released with mac version on steam as well.. just seems odd :/

kd-z

Having played through BG:EE this summer I'm super tempted to buy this and skip Dragon Age III this month. I have yet to beat Wasteland 2 and Shadow of Mordor, though :<

Top Bottom