• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Icons: Combat Arena (Smash Melee clone by makers of Project M) Gameplay Trailer

Codeblue

So how many people do you think are going to give this game a chance? I think it would be huge if they no longer have tou use fucked up gamecube controllers and SD TVs so those are Pros but then I dont know how much of the charm of Melee for the community is also on the fact that it uses Nintendo characters.

I really think people put too much emphasis on characters. That pulls in the ten million number that Smash does, but the 200K people that streamed Melee finals last year probably don't care. Grow your community from there. The big problem for this game is going to be getting exposure without a publisher willing to buy a spot for your game at Evo.

At the end of the day, they don't have access to Mario and Pikachu, so why not target the audience that cares less about the characters, and cares more about trying to swag out like Mang0? I think they're right to target that audience. That said, if they don't nail the animations, then no one is going to care.

jnWake

And at the end of the day, DotA 2 was all about copying DotA. There are seriously a lot of mods turned full-fledged games by virtue of them standing out above the rest. They take what was a good base, improve on it and then spin it off into a full experience.
DotA plays nothing like WC3 though. It's an entirely new set of rules that made sense to expand into a new game.

So far, this is just copying Melee, nothing original that we can see.

And at the end of the day, DotA 2 was all about copying DotA. There are seriously a lot of mods turned full-fledged games by virtue of them standing out above the rest. They take what was a good base, improve on it and then spin it off into a full experience.

Ok, but where were the improvements?

Unicorn

Too bad this is the first impression for everyone. Now it's just an uphill battle to establish why this should even exist versus an actual conversation of what the game is.

How would we know? It's a short trailer of a game just in development, look back at their pitch videos?

Cool, they could've used that short trailer to showcase new mechanics going off ina melee esque fighting game instead of showing off characters who were almost ripped verbatim from melee

Y
Project M is freaking great, and it's crazy how in depth the modding got on the Wii.... but it's still a mod of a game. There's some new ideas, but they still had a pretty fantastic base to work off of.
OK? Who on the PM team said it wasn't a good base?

Opa-Pa

Project M aimed to provide Melee players with an updated version of the game they loved except designed with competitive play in mind, which is exactly what Melee players want and the lack of an official version of it is the exact reason they stick to Melee in the first place.

This game seems to try the same thing except with a different coat of paint. There's a need for such a game and they're offering their solution.

It's not that deep.

FZeroRacer

Neo Member
Cool, they could've used that short trailer to showcase new mechanics going off ina melee esque fighting game instead of showing off characters who were almost ripped verbatim from melee
So you wanted them to show a trailer that wouldn't appease the audience they're trying to appeal to?

Rutger

Banned
No, between this game and Melee

Really feels like the trailer was trying to say "Hey Melee fans, the gameplay you love will be here".
Not much information beyond that as far as I can tell, maybe it's a bit early to say it has nothing to offer that's different from Melee.

I thought the game looked interesting. Frankly, what drew me in were the Marth, Fox, and the Ganon/Cpt. Falcon movesets. I can't wait to try it out.

Project M aimed to provide Melee players with an updated version of the game they loved except designed with competitive play in mind, which is exactly what Melee players want and the lack of an official version of it is the exact reason they stick to Melee in the first place.

This game seems to try the same thing except with a different coat of paint. There's a need for such a game and they're offering their solution.

It's not that deep.

No you don't get it. This game is "Creatively Bankrupt." It should not be allowed to exist.
/s

VariantX

Creatively bankrupt.

Like it's cool if you want to make a new fighting game that's "like Melee"

But at least attempt to do something new and interesting rather than just reskinning melee/project m and calling it a day

I'm not sure what they're going for here. If they took the underlying framework of what makes Melee good in the eyes of those who enjoy it, I think that would be perfectly fine because thats what games do. Thats what people do in any creative medium they build on each other's work and creativity. Go even further in the direction Nintendo veered away from even when they made Brawl. I'm hoping thats what they're going for here.

It's not that deep.

Thats fine and all but this game being F2P is not gonna be able to survive with just the number of people from the Melee community that switch over to it. They are goinng to need a bigger audience. So what do they have to attract said audience? So far the game is not visually attractive and the character designs are unispired.

I think is fine if they want to copy Melee but I think that they are going to need more that.

Daouzin

I thought the game looked interesting. Frankly, what drew me in were the Marth, Fox, and the Ganon/Cpt. Falcon movesets. I can't wait to try it out.

Yup

I mean no disrespect, but I really don't think you understand why people still play Melee, or what that scene wants out of a game. A lot of people here don't, and that's cool, you can't understand every community.

Yup

Project M is a mod of Brawl. At the end of the day, they didn't add any new ideas. It might have been a lot of work, but there was still no innovation. So no, it isn't copying off their own work. And making a game inspired by something else is fine. I have no problem with that. But there's a difference between taking inspiration from another game and straight up ripping off another game. I'd have no problem with this if they did something, anything, FRESH with the idea. Add a cool new mechanic. Make unique and interesting characters that work within the concept of this new game. Straight up copying an entire character's moveset is creatively bankrupt

Oh you're an insane person.

Project M did a lot of unique stuff. Jesus, I don't know why you dislike it's existence so much. I've met so many people that got into competitive Smash just because of PM. Now they play Smash 4 or Melee. PM inspired a lot of people and they recreated entire movesets.

Arguing that they somehow didn't add any new ideas is just objectively wrong and proves you didn't actually play it.

Yup

Umm..

ATTN Melee fans/Wavedash Games:

Let. It. Go. It's okay to love the awesomeness that is Melee and be inspired to create your own game based on the blueprint set there, but this is a bit much.

Another insane person. Why do we need to let it go, why does it effect you so much that you have to tell us to let it go. Why can't we just play what we love?

It's not that deep.

Pretty much, it's not that difficult to understand. As someone that is waiting desperately for Melee HD because any kind of spiritual sequel is out of the window at this point, I'm really looking forward to how this game develops. Even if it's straight up reskinned Melee, I'll be IN LOVE! Would I like it more if they added stuff, sure, but since Nintendo won't give me an HD remake then I'll take this.

If Nintendo was competent they would make Melee HD, add net code and then add a micro transaction store so I can buy characters with player Skins, C9 Fox and Falco pack, EVO stage pack, etc.

I honestly think 200k players would spend at least $40 for the game and another $20-50 just on DLC. If Nintendo wants to leave that money on the table I'll give it to Wavedash.

Of course their game still needs a lot of work, but the potential is 100% there from what I've seen.

Merc_

Really this and other Smash clones do a good job of driving home just how important Nintendo's franchises and history are to the Smash formula.

The gameplay alone isn't what attracts people and sells those games.

If Nintendo was competent they would make Melee HD, add net code and then add a micro transaction store so I can buy characters with player Skins, C9 Fox and Falco pack, EVO stage pack, etc.

I honestly think 200k players would spend at least $40 for the game and another $20-50 just on DLC. If Nintendo wants to leave that money on the table I'll give it to Wavedash
And that's why they ain't gonna do that

RM8

Really this and other Smash clones do a good job of driving home just how important Nintendo's franchises and history are to the Smash formula.

The gameplay alone isn't what attracts people and sells those games.
I disagree. It's actually that all the clones are really lacking in gameplay, so there's no reason to pick them over the real thing.

Smasher89

Should have been on console and not pc, other then that slightly interested, but I feel the beta phase will be the best part of the game, concidering how the pm "rebalancing" were handled.

Daouzin

So basically PM but it's a new game and not a mod.

I can dig it. Still needs work though.

For what it's worth, 200k is one hell of a lowball estimate and really damn good for such a cheap, low effort project.

Right?

Oh wait, Aaronrules380 says that's impossible because they are creatively bankrupt.
/s

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Should have been on console and not pc, other then that slightly interested, but I feel the beta phase will be the best part of the game, concidering how the pm "rebalancing" were handled.

The final version of PM was easily the most competitively balanced, even if it wasn't perfect. Balancing to make all the characters good and fun to play works a lot better than making everyone broken-good, but not too broken-good.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I like my fair share of Melee but a low effort HD remaster with a micro transaction store, fuck that man.

Low effort doesn't mean bad. It means they neither have to do much or spend much to make the product. All these people talking shit about how Nintendo is going to rebalance this and redo the physics, that kind of stuff would make a Melee HD vastly more challenging and more expensive than just porting what's there, running it in higher resolution, and calling it a day. And not only would it be easier, but it would also have vastly more appeal among the people who would actually have any interest in Melee HD. Trolls and haters talking about stripping out wavedashing and intended mechanics removed with Brawl and beyond aren't going to care about it anyway.

And 100% optional, cosmetic microtransactions are totally fine too, but I doubt Nintendo would bother with that.

Daouzin

I like my fair share of Melee but a low effort HD remaster with a micro transaction store, fuck that man.

Why? LOL. I'd immediately buy C9 skins, EchoFox Skins and even Evil Geniuses skins. haha.

Like I said, I'm definitely following this game, because if Nintendo won't do that stuff I believe someone eventually will.

So basically PM but it's a new game and not a mod.

I can dig it. Still needs work though.

For what it's worth, 200k is one hell of a lowball estimate and really damn good for such a cheap, low effort project.
I really doubt this game will get 200k players

If you honestly think EVO viewing numbers are a good way of judging how big the actual active player pool is for melee, than you're insanely naive. Even moreso if you assume every melee player will instantly gravitate towards this

Daouzin

I really doubt this game will get 200k players

If you honestly think EVO viewing numbers are a good way of judging how big the actual active player pool is for melee, than you're insanely naive. Even moreso if you assume every melee player will instantly gravitate towards this

200k was referring to a low effort Melee Port. You're uninspired post, was rather fitting considering your track record in this thread.

However, I think you would be surprised by the number of PM players that used to play PM heavily and are likely to play this.

http://steamspy.com/app/383980

and that's with a price tag of $15

Don't try to use facts. LOL. They'll be dismissed by their personal opinions and view of a scene they obviously know very little about.

Oh yikes that like/dislike ratio. Honestly when I read Icons I thought they meant like movie and gaming icons. But this is interesting.
200k was referring to a low effort Melee Port. You're uninspired post, was rather fitting considering your track record in this thread.
Come on Daouzin calm down. If you're right you're right. Let's not make a big deal out of this argument.

Daouzin

Oh yikes that like/dislike ratio. Honestly when I read Icons I thought they meant like movie and gaming icons. But this is interesting.

Come on Daouzin calm down. If you're right you're right. Let's not make a big deal out of this argument.

Fair enough, I just think it's fair to call people out when they claim to know more then they actually do. Their views/opinions are baseless. I think that needs to be made clear.

Smasher89

The final version of PM was easily the most competitively balanced, even if it wasn't perfect. Balancing to make all the characters good and fun to play works a lot better than making everyone broken-good, but not too broken-good.
Yea, for me the fun parts since ICs were not competively viable at all since they were basicly redesigned to not work in pm, metaknight and spamming qac with pikachu, both got heavily nerfed where characters like snake exists and characters shieldpressure overall were seemingly unpunishable.

I'm into the concept I just wished they had better designs or went to notable indie creators for appearance deals. For a game called Icons, these characters ain't so iconic lookin'.

Daouzin

I'm into the concept I just wished they had better designs or went to notable indie creators for appearance deals. For a game called Icons, these characters ain't so iconic lookin'.

Agreed, but I feel like making an iconic character would be really effing difficult (let alone more than one), who knows what their budget is, but I definitely think their passable. Just not great.

Vena

Right?

Oh wait, Aaronrules380 says that's impossible because they are creatively bankrupt.
/s

Lifting moves/characters in their entirety from one game to the other is, by definition, creatively bankrupt, lol. It is a lack of a creative ability to make something parallel but unique, hence the literal definition of the word. This is potentially the only time the term would actually be applicable in a straightforward fashion.

RoA, on the other hand, is a creatively rich project because it was, you know, creative and imaginative.

Top Bottom