• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Icons: Combat Arena (Smash Melee clone by makers of Project M) Gameplay Trailer

Daouzin

Is everyone just maligning out of spite. Or, maybe, it was just a piss poor showing.

I won't argue that it wasn't a poor showing, but rather that the Melee-like character focused approach is fine. It was just too early to show.

The Melee scene here in AZ thought it was fine (the ones I speak to, since I can't talk for the whole scene, LOL). I mean we would just be comparing anecdotal evidence against each other so that's a silly approach. Overall my close circle over here is concerned, but optimistic. However my circle has no love for Smash 4, if that makes a difference. They also prefer Melee over PM, however they have a lot of love for RoA.

It's also hard not to be optimistic because if it's bad we can just keep playing Melee, not a big deal.

kotaku.com/icons-combat-arena-expands-the-world-of-platform-fight-1796966145

They hope can be recognized as a “platform fighter” instead of a “Smash clone.”

Team that named themselves after a competitive Smash term and making almost direct moveset/animation copies of Smash characters doesn't want to be called a Smash clone

Huh

I mean, you can think people are shitting on it to spite melee if you want, but as one of the comments on the trailer put it:

Honest to god, this looks like one of those videos you'd see entitled "SHITTY CHINESE RIPOFF OF OVERWATCH" instead this time its for Smash Bros.

And they're absolutely right.

Paladins seems to be doing well for itself.

PSqueak

Banned
Team that named themselves after a competitive Smash term and making almost direct moveset/animation copies of Smash characters doesn't want to be called a Smash clone

Huh

To be fair, Wave dashing is not a melee/smash exclusive term or tech, it's a general fighting game tech.

Codeblue

Then don't try to replicate a game they made nearly 1:1. De Mambo compares badly to Smash but nobody is faulting the game for it, because it was built from the ground up.

No one is faulting De Mambo because no one is going to play that in tournament. That's not the point of the game. There's no community waiting for De Mambo.

If that team billed De Mambo as the next Melee, people would have lit it up.

Dremorak

Banned
Its like you take melee and run it through a crap filter. The animation is terrible, and yet is still attempting to directly copy melee. Thats a feat unto itself. I would be surprised if this makes it to retail tbh, that monkey character even has fox's idle animation ffs.

Wallach

Putting everything aside, the hits sound literally like punching a pile of folded towels.

the first thing I said when they showed this trailer was that they have to throw all of those SFX in the trash

far worse problem than the animation

Isnt Smash only popular because its Nintendo? I mean this game could be a million times better than Smash but it will fail cause no Mario.

LordKasual

Banned
I have literally never heard of that term outside of Smash.

Yeah most smash players wouldn't have

Yeah, that's what makes me even more confused about the hate. It's like, it's FREE. It's existence is fine. It's allowed to exist.

Yeah, it would be confusing to me too, but the Smash community is really, really bitter about Melee, PM, or anything surrounding it. On a personal level.

They hate the concept of Melee being "more competitive" by design. I can only imagine because it in some way it undermines the version of Smash they're currently playing??? I have no idea.

Any success for Melee/PM is an affront on their souls or something, so they shit on literally everything that has to do with it. The players, the game, the scene, the modders, everything. It's stupid.

And this is only a Smash community thing. I can't remember this much inner-community hate going on when SF, anime or 3D fighters come out with new iterations. They might bitch to the DEVELOPERS, but i've never seen another community fucking implode like Smash does. It's pathetic

Giga Man

Pit with a gun.
Not seeing any Pit moves. The slide kick looks like Cloud, and that upwards kick looks like Snake. The way he uses his gun isn't anything I've seen in Smash.

I think Rivals of Aether characters weren't bad. Doesn't hurt that the game has a consistent art style.

lp4YAJV.png
nXz42Io.png

Lp09Goo.png
xckuSpq.png
I love seeing this game in action. I really need to buy it one day.

Yeah, that's what makes me even more confused about the hate. It's like, it's FREE. Its existence is fine. It's allowed to exist.
Free stuff can be judged. It's still something that costs time and effort. I mean, its existence is fine, but what kind of reactions were you expecting?

Paladins seems to be doing well for itself.

This should be common knowledge by now.
"While Overwatch is a fine game, it was not the inspiration for Paladins. Game development is an interactive process with ideas coming from many past projects. For the hero shooter genre, the game that deserves the most credit is Team Fortress 2. We released a TF2 inspired class-based shooter called Global Agenda way back in 2010. Paladins was conceived as a fantasy version of Global Agenda and of the approximately 85 combat abilities currently in Paladins, the vast majority are from the game Global Agenda we made 10 years ago.

Chao

They know that Nintendo can't sue them as long as they don't steal private assets or trademarked concepts.

Can they still sue if it's proven that reskined Marth is using the exact same animations from Smash?

Probably not, but it looks really fishy

Buckle

I'm totally down with a Smash Bros clone if they had interesting looking new characters and movesets but this...doesn't seem to be that.

Honestly people saying it's too close to Melee...that wouldn't be a factor if it had a AAA look. Since this looks like a F2P art style that stands out more.

LordKano

Can they still sue if it's proven that reskined Marth is using the exact same animations from Smash?

Probably not, but it looks really fishy

Nope, they can't, unless they have really good attorneys. It's very hard to sue for plagiarism in the video game industry. I remember once that Simpsons game that was a complete Crazy Taxi rip-off and SEGA managed to sue them only because the guide arrow used in the Simpsons rip-off was actually trademarked.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Not really seeing the complaints about the designs, they all have distinctive silhouettes, tell me what I need to know about the character at a glance, while also being quite diverse.
Like...there's not a single muscular woman in Smash bros by my knowledge especially not one of Zarya's size....
TqbmNQz.png

DmNAGMQ.png

Pa5u0XU.png

0NHWCE1.png

eCBzdy2.png

Do people just not like the artstyle? Because no one seems to be using any sort of specificity about why the designs are bad.

Gestault

Yeah, that's what makes me even more confused about the hate. It's like, it's FREE. It's existence is fine. It's allowed to exist.

Price has very little to do the substance of game criticism. People are reacting to what appears to be in the game, not the price tag on it.

I'm totally down with a Smash Bros clone if they had interesting looking new characters and movesets but this...doesn't seem to be that.

This is pretty much how I feel looking at it. If they're building on a popular framework (and really playing off their own knowledge/experience), that's cool. If they're just copying movesets/animations almost verbatim (which is what I'm seeing), I think it's tacky and boring.

Daouzin

Not really seeing the complaints about the designs, they all have distinctive silhouettes and tell me what I need to know about the character while also being quite diverse. Like...there's not a single muscular woman in Smash bros by my knowledge especially not one of Zarya's size....
TqbmNQz.png

DmNAGMQ.png

Pa5u0XU.png

0NHWCE1.png

eCBzdy2.png

Do people just not like the artstyle?

Same, I think if the animations and sounds had been better than this would be less of an issue.

Not great designs but definitely passable.

Price has very little to do with substantive game criticism. People are reacting to what appears to be in the game, not the price tag on it.

Criticism is fine, but the language being used to describe the dislike is rather strong for a game that's free to play and no one is forcing you to play. I feel like if this was the art for a beloved franchise with a huge track record it would make sense, but since it's not and the character designs are passable, not understanding the hate.

As others have also said. There is some strange resentment mixed in. The game already looks 100x better than how PlayStation All Stars turned out and that was a normal release at $60.

The art style makes me think of Guardians of the Galaxy with a Borderlands/Telltale style of "slap a black outline around it and call it comic shaded" type of deal.

Karkador

Banned
I think about the insane amount of work that gets poured into making a Smash game, and how they raise the bar for themselves by including even more characters with new movesets, or tweaking old movesets, refining a game that has somehow maintained both casual appeal and tournament viability.

And then these scrubs just go and copy it.

PSqueak

Banned
Do people just not like the artstyle?

Well, that's one for starters.

Then there is seeing these bland characters doing their smash counterparts' moves with nearly perfect 1:1 animations creates a really off putting feeling.

And believe me, no one wants a buff chick in smash (or any game in general!) more than me, but She-Ganondorf here is not winning me over with her total lack of originality.

collige

Banned
I think about the insane amount of work that gets poured into making a Smash game, and how they raise the bar for themselves by including even more characters with new movesets, or tweaking old movesets, refining a game that has somehow maintained both casual appeal and tournament viability.

That's exactly what these scrubs did with PM before making this game though.

Crossing Eden

So did Battleborn but only like 5 or 6 designs actually looked fine.
But none of the designs shown in this video have any of the flaws that ruin the vast majority of Battleborn designs. The designs in this video are more on the Gigantic scale of things. Where it looked like the designers knew where they were doing and exactly the type of character they want to convey.
g-griselma.jpg

While in Battleborn no one told the designers to put the goddamn pen down.

PSqueak

Banned
So did Battleborn but only like 5 or 6 designs actually looked fine.

I repeat, even battleborn has more distinctive characters, for better or worst Montana is a gaming icon, even if it was due to infamy, and designs like Marquis, Ghalt, Phoebe, Benedict, etc are distinctive and full of personality, you see a Battleborn character and you know they're from Battleborn.

These guys? When this game fails people will see them and think they were from Paladins or Gigantic and not from their own game.

You are doing a huge disservice to gigantic by comparing the icons designs to these.

BlizzKrut

Banned
But none of the designs shown in this video have any of the flaws that ruin the vast majority of Battleborn designs. The designs in this video are more on the Gigantic scale of things. Where it looked like the designers knew where they were doing and exactly the type of character they want to convey.
g-griselma.jpg

Needs to be updated with Zandora :p

0b3c4a05168ca77fc15c84b01548747c1487900070.png

Camjo-Z

I think Rivals of Ethers characters weren't bad. Doesn't hurt that the game has a consistent art style.

lp4YAJV.png
nXz42Io.png

Lp09Goo.png
xckuSpq.png

Rivals of Aether is one of the games I was thinking about honestly, the entire cast gives me furry OC vibes.

Still waiting for someone to actually rip off Smash Bros properly and make a full indie crossover fighter. I want Shantae vs. Shovel Knight vs. Isaac vs. Quote on a Rocket League stage.

Crossing Eden

Well, that's one for starters.

Then there is seeing these bland characters doing their smash counterparts' moves with nearly perfect 1:1 animations creates a really off putting feeling.

And believe me, no one wants a buff chick in smash (or any game in general!) more than me, but She-Ganondorf here is not winning me over with her total lack of originality.
That's more an animation and meta issue tho, separate from character design altogether. And remember we're talking about Smash where a lot of the designs have clear influences from other media.

Codeblue

The perfect 1:1 between Marth and Zhurong is the biggest asset this game has.

Like, imagine if someone said they were going to make a spiritual successor to SF2, but then they didn't include any Shotos. These are staple things that they need to nail for anyone to care. They need the Melee audience to get on board before everyone else, or you wind up with a tiny community like Rivals of Aether, except your game is F2P so you don't even make any money off it.

Top Bottom