• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ideas For Games That Are So Obvious But Don't Exist

Paperboy

a game where they give you a sledge hammer and a fancy mansion and you just go around destroying the place. and thats the whole game. different tools of destruction, different places to destroy, first person and a big focus on really amazing destruction mechanics/graphics.

It's not exactly what you described, but Teardown is kind of similar:

If you have a VR headset there is Hotel R'n'R:

Smasher89

2D platform racer, imagine a bunch of games that people likes to speedrun, fused, and set up for racing the stages, like race castlevania 1 with Belmont, Mario and zelda 2 Link, in a setting from either just 1 game or multiple. Another way to make the Nes games feel fresh all over again.

GymWolf

Trimming open world games into a more focused and engaging experience. Get to the point and cut the filler.
So you just want linear games...

because if in an open world you do ONLY campaign missions without touching side-contents and going straight to the main plot, you can finish all of these games in 10 to 20 hours, pretty much the lenght of unchy4\tlou2...

People buy open worlds because they also like side activities and exploration.

Last edited:
A Halo WRPG.

Like who wouldn't be freaking awed by essentially Mass Effect but in the Halo universe. It would probably be the best Halo game and one of the best WRPGs of all time....

As long as 343i isn't involved in the writing.

A full AAA open-world TNMT game that lets you switch between all four turtles.

If the Sleeping Dogs devs were still together, I'd love for United Front games to have worked on this.

I really thought at one point this is what Rocksteady was working on. Only to find that nooooo, instead, WB would rather waste their talents on a shitty suicide squad game that nobody freaking asked for.

FeldMonster

- A samurai (maybe ninjas too?) based BR that focuses extremely hard on combat and quick kills. Something like Bushido Blade, but much on a much grander scale with much better combat. Parrying, counters, etc. Dismemberment and limb damage. Something gory, and visceral. (Screw you Naraka, lmao)
Feels like Ubisoft should pursue this as a For Honor based BR.

FeldMonster

A Halo WRPG.

Like who wouldn't be freaking awed by essentially Mass Effect but in the Halo universe. It would probably be the best Halo game and one of the best WRPGs of all time....

As long as 343i isn't involved in the writing.
As long as the traditional Halo style FPS combat is left alone, sure.

Ps5ProFoSho

Was already mentioned elsewhere, but a "The Mandalorian" game writes itself.

You're a mercenary that travels the galaxy doing odd jobs on different planets, you upgrade your ship and armor as you go. You gain access to different weapons and equipment, like blasters, jetpack, grapple hook, etc.

There can be a greater threat looming (Empire or other), etc.

There's a whole lot of Mandalorian lore out there to pull from.

It's Star Wars based, so the game is easily marketable. Possibility of Lego and other toys tie-in.

Makes sense for Disney because they can push Disney+ subscription.

It's so obvious that I wouldn't be surprised if the game is being developed as we speak.
Really hoping this is what the new star wars game is like

Ezquimacore

Banned
A game where you play as Sheik for those seven years.
coayzbi1hde61.jpg

thisneedstohappen.imagineitazeldagamewhere_8b6815_4529879__large.jpg

dU7uV6i.jpeg

20cent

Banned
I didn't know people were still wanting Telltale games after their last 5 games were bad and then the whole team collapsed and disappeared.

Also the best Silent Hills only have about ten conversations throughout the whole thing.

Also telltale games can't really be scary. There's no exploration, no combat.

That's a really shit idea bro omg
Sorry if I hurt your feelings for liking a game genre or developer.
As I don't base my opinions on others', I've enjoyed the ones I've played, TWD 1&2, Wolf Among Us and the first Batman.

I can't play scary games if they have combat / survival mechanics, but SH series always attracted me.
Actually what I meant was something like a point n click in SH universe, but "Telltale" sounds less retro styled and more plausible.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
When the Dual Analog controller for the PlayStation released I thought it'd be cool to get a skiing game where each stick would sort of control one leg. I don't play sports games but I don't think anyone has done it? It could work for snowboarding etc. also even if the leg arrangement isn't side to side there, you still have left/right.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
An RPG Survival Horror
Closes we got is Bloodborne but to me survival horror games is about surviving with what you got or find but in RPG its much more about character improving and getting stronger through out the game which to me kind of goes against survival horror games.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
A modern RPG with combat mechanics similar to the original Parasite Eve.

Spaceman292

Banned
Sorry if I hurt your feelings for liking a game genre or developer.
As I don't base my opinions on others', I've enjoyed the ones I've played, TWD 1&2, Wolf Among Us and the first Batman.

I can't play scary games if they have combat / survival mechanics, but SH series always attracted me.
Actually what I meant was something like a point n click in SH universe, but "Telltale" sounds less retro styled and more plausible.
Saying Telltale is still a bit behind the times. Batman was pretty good but that was like 6 years ago. And since then they've gone broke and everyone in their development team have gone to other places. But if for some reason you can't play horror games that have combat (?) then I guess that works.

Have you tried the Dark Pictures games?

20cent

Banned
Saying Telltale is still a bit behind the times. Batman was pretty good but that was like 6 years ago. And since then they've gone broke and everyone in their development team have gone to other places. But if for some reason you can't play horror games that have combat (?) then I guess that works.

Have you tried the Dark Pictures games?
Well, for some weird reasons while my favorite movie genre is horror, if an horror game (only the horror ones) has stressful moments such as combats or too much hide and seek mechanics, I just can't enjoy it.

Yeah I know about Telltale going bankrupt... although I tend to play games few years after their release lately.

Until Dawn or Man of Medan were fun to play but they were less.. engaging with the characters.

Or maybe should have said "Quantic Dream + Silent Hill" then. But QD probably gets more hate than TT.

The time for it has come and gone probably, but I always felt like the Matrix was an IP that was never correctly utilized for gaming. Unfortunately all we ever got was the interesting, but incredibly flawed, Matrix Online. A single player game that switched between fighting machines in the machine world and fighting in the Matrix world, etc.

I remember having a similar chat with a friend after our dissatisfaction with the matrix games, the idea I wanted implemented in a potential game was if your character died in the game that particular save would get permanently deleted from your console(you died in the matrix you die in the real world), this would be in line with the lore since everyone is scared of being killed in the Matrix. My friend took a step further with what if you cant just quit the game without finding a telephone line to dial out. We both shrugged and said modern gamers would complain

Last edited:

engstra

A "smash bros" of hero shooters featuring characters from a bunch of characters from other FPS/TPS games. Escpecally since Microsoft owns like half of them nowadays anyway.

Example roster:
-Master Chief
-Doom Slayer
-Duke Nukem
-Gordon Freeman
-Captain Price
-Joanna Dark
-Banjo/Kazooie in Breegull Blaster mode
-Conker from the WW2 level
-BJ Blazkowicz
-Shadow the Hedgehog
I was about to write something very similar. I was more thinking of a hero shooter with the Nintendo characters

Raven117

I always thought an open world set during the Boer war South Africa would be awesome. (Think the ghost and the darkness).

Maybe a game set in Arabia based on old folktales…. Same could be said for India/Nepal/Pakistan.

My point being is that there are stories of cultures that can inspire some great video games. Developers haven’t really tackled these. (And perhaps for good reason).

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I just had a dream for an online shooter that I'm surprised hasn't been made yet.

It's an online shooter set in the 40k universe, but on a epic scale with 31 players per team.

Matches will consist of missions such as one team has to attack and another has to defend or secure a location for a certain time limit etc.

Each team of 30 players have an AI squad of 30 units that follow them into battle that the player can also give basic commands to.

1 player from each team is the commander. They'll be responsible for deploying AI controlled vehicles, heavy units and tactical bombardments. They'll have a tactical view of the map, but can also zoom in to areas of the battlefield.

If a player dies, then they can take control of a member of their squad that's still alive, but if all of a players squad dies then they're out the game and spectating.

Please, somebody make this game.

CeeJay

I'd like to see a game where your character has permadeath but can progress up through a career tree and when you do the game genre changes significantly.

So for example a war style game could work like;

1. Start off as a basic soldier in a Battlefield style FPS game where you are a member of a squad with a squad leader who gives orders on where to push.

2. Do well and you get promoted to squad leader where you play more of a leadership role than a gunner and receive objectives from command that you can see on a minimap and give the orders to your squad, your squad cannot directly see the objectives that you can and you have to guide them with more basic orders. This could still be first person but be more a game style where you guide your team rather than directly fighting. You have communications with your commander but not with other squads.

3. If you do well in this role then you get promoted upto a high ranking officer role where you now play a higher level role and more of a RTS type game where you can see an overview of the entire battlefield and command a series of squads by passing orders to the squad leaders, you get to see where a number enemy forward operating bases are and your job is to try and take these out to gain ground in the war. There would be multiple commanders and you have contact with them also. Meanwhile the enemy are doing the same to you and if they storm your base they can kill you.

This kind of multi-genre game could still be fast paced and over the course of a session you could expect to die and go back to being a grunt many times. You could apply this model to lots of other styles of games and have other factors other than killing as the driver for getting promoted or demoted such as money or voting.

b0uncyfr0

This is my ultimate game I guess:

1 - The Dialogue and Realness of RDR2
2 - Dynamic and adaptive enemies like in the Mordor series
3 - The world like Arkham City
4 - The fun and silly factor of Psychonauts 2
5 - Modern Gfx seen in like Star Citizen (yes yes, i know) - it still looks pretty.

The fact that noone has copied the adaptive enemies from Mordor was a big 'wtf, what's wrong with you idiots' moment. It's very cool and distinct. Too bad Monolith cant make interesting games.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Listen to this: how about Dragon's Dogma, but it has a 2 at the end of the title? That would be cool.

kyussman

Kratos to come out as Trans......he's the right age just like all these wrinkly middled aged dudes that do it,he has the beard......he's all set......come on Sony,you could win over literally 10's of fans if you do the right thing.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Kratos to come out as Trans......he's the right age just like all these wrinkly middled aged dudes that do it,he has the beard......he's all set......come on Sony,you could win over literally 10's of fans if you do the right thing.
Why would they need to? His son becomes a female horse, gets fucked and gives birth to a foal. I wonder will it be included? It should if you want an authentic experience of a mythology 😂

dotnotbot

MMO game combining The Sims with SimCity where every property (or even individual items) are NFTs

Do it EA, people will lose all of their life savings on virtual houses and bussineses

Last edited:
Sad to me that a Mario/Sonic platformer crossover game doesn't exist. Seems like an obvious idea since many former Sega people got hired by Nintendo anyway so why not leverage that into a game?

Sad to me that a Mario/Sonic platformer crossover game doesn't exist. Seems like an obvious idea since many former Sega people got hired by Nintendo anyway so why not leverage that into a game?
I think the big problem with that idea is the approach of how to make the game...
1) You don't want to split the gameplay into Mario-Sonic levels which segregate the player characters, because then you don't really feel the crossover.
2) Mario levels don't play to Sonic's strengths, and vice versa. In regards to the classic games at least, most "good" Sonic levels are ones that give you freedom and a sense of speed, compared to 2D Mario's best levels being tight platforming challenges. (Ironically, this seems to inverse as 3D Sonic becomes about arcade-esque twitch reactions vs. 3D Mario's open exploration) Again, the levels need to play to both character's strengths, and that's really difficult when they're fundamentally different styles of platformers. (In theory, you could make some excuse plot for Mario going Sonic speeds, as character-wise Mario is versatile in that regard, but that would probably be at the expense of giving Mario fans what they want out of a Mario platformer, and would feel cheesy.)
3) The question of how powerups would affect gameplay, if at all. Too many powerups and the game simply becomes too Mario-like at Sonic's expense. And yeah, that means no Wisps.
4) Speaking of Wisps, how many side-characters would be in this? They're probably not going to be playable when you already have the trouble of balancing Mario and Sonic. And the more of them are in, the more questions there are to ask about the game's story and character interactions.
5) I don't think the game's story would be satisfactory to any fan, quite frankly. Nintendo would probably want a barebones excuse plot, while Sega would probably want some subversive "Dark" Mario story that Nintendo seems to be incredibly avoidant of. Both of those would probably be weird to players.

There's probably a lot more things to iron out, too.

Mario & Sonic at the Daytona 500 totally should have been a thing, though.

I think the big problem with that idea is the approach of how to make the game...
1) You don't want to split the gameplay into Mario-Sonic levels which segregate the player characters, because then you don't really feel the crossover.
2) Mario levels don't play to Sonic's strengths, and vice versa. In regards to the classic games at least, most "good" Sonic levels are ones that give you freedom and a sense of speed, compared to 2D Mario's best levels being tight platforming challenges. (Ironically, this seems to inverse as 3D Sonic becomes about arcade-esque twitch reactions vs. 3D Mario's open exploration) Again, the levels need to play to both character's strengths, and that's really difficult when they're fundamentally different styles of platformers. (In theory, you could make some excuse plot for Mario going Sonic speeds, as character-wise Mario is versatile in that regard, but that would probably be at the expense of giving Mario fans what they want out of a Mario platformer, and would feel cheesy.)
3) The question of how powerups would affect gameplay, if at all. Too many powerups and the game simply becomes too Mario-like at Sonic's expense. And yeah, that means no Wisps.
4) Speaking of Wisps, how many side-characters would be in this? They're probably not going to be playable when you already have the trouble of balancing Mario and Sonic. And the more of them are in, the more questions there are to ask about the game's story and character interactions.
5) I don't think the game's story would be satisfactory to any fan, quite frankly. Nintendo would probably want a barebones excuse plot, while Sega would probably want some subversive "Dark" Mario story that Nintendo seems to be incredibly avoidant of. Both of those would probably be weird to players.

There's probably a lot more things to iron out, too.

Mario & Sonic at the Daytona 500 totally should have been a thing, though.
Tbf a Mario themed Sonic zone sounds pretty cool and also, I think the story could be a balance of both, SEGA stopped doing the dark stuff since Colors, and are only startting to tip-toe back into it with Movie 2 and Frontiers.

Tbf a Mario themed Sonic zone sounds pretty cool and also, I think the story could be a balance of both, SEGA stopped doing the dark stuff since Colors, and are only startting to tip-toe back into it with Movie 2 and Frontiers.
I'd probably be okay with a story written like Sonic Adventure 2.... but after Forces, I'm not so sure Sonic Team can write a "dark" story with that quality anymore.(in regards to outside Sonic games, the IDW did some interesting things with that Metal Virus Arc... but then the ending ruined it by being a complete cop-out AND retroactively making everyone look stupid in retrospect, so I'm not so sure that taking a writer from there's the best idea either)

Nintendo would not be one I'd associate with well-written narrative, but I'd probably take a story written by them over current Sonic Team's.
Of course, Nintendo would probably tightly control the writing anyway; God forbid Mario interacts with a non-standardized Koopa or Bob-omb design after Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door!

Genx3

A current gen Boxing game using real boxers.

When was the last time we got a decent sports boxing game?

Top Bottom