• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Gamepass is bad for the industry then why has nobody noticed besides GAF?

Moogle11

Banned
You do realize the reverse of everything you said is also true? Graphics didn't matter to MicroGAF in 2013, only truly "great" games like Ryse and Dead Rising 3.

The difference is most people switched to PS4 this gen, because they truly liked the games PlayStation was offering. Really, it was just the blind Xbox fans that will never switch consoles no matter how big of a difference in quality there is.

Most of us, including me, would switch (back) primarily to Xbox if/when they have the better library. The ones who won't are the blind fanboys just like the ones currently defending Xbox's horrible generation this round.

Yep. I have no loyalty to platforms and have switched which one was my main several times now. Nintendo through later into the N64/PS1 gen, then PS2, then 360 and then PS4 this gen.

It's unlikely anything but PS5 will end up my main next gen, but that’s solely due to my gaming tastes. Cinematic, narrative-driven action adventure games are my main jam, and Sony is clearly the platform holder focused on those types of games as exclusives. I’ll still have whatever Nintendo hardware comes out and play Microsoft’s games either on my PC if I upgrade it or a series X once there’s enough exclusive that interest me. And Sony’s output could decline for my tastes and one of those may end up as my most played when the generation is done. Time will tell.

I’m just about the games and couldn’t give a shit less about any of the corporations that publish them or put out platforms to play them on, just like I don’t give a shit or have any loyalty to any movie studios or record labels and couldn’t even tell you who puts out what off the top of my head since I mostly just stream things and rarely buy anything. In a perfect world gaming will eventually be platform agnostic and games available to play on a variety of platforms/devices and services Like music and movies.

Sota4077

Nothing wrong with rentals be it Redbox, Blockbuster, PS Now, Game Pass, etc.... but pretty much its going to be small revenue stream for devs/pubs.
Yeah I am calling bullshit on this one. Microsoft are not strong arming anyone into being on the service. Developers are signing up willingly. So whatever Microsoft is paying them to be on the service financially makes sense for them. Whether they're being paid a lump sum or a cost per download it still works out in both parties mutual benefit.

If developer A is averaging 10,000 purchases per month @ $20 per download all Microsoft need to do is make them a $200,000 offer for the month and it is a net positive for them. The reality is that Microsoft get something like 30% of sales on their console too so its actually only about $120,000 they would make. So by cutting them a $200k check the developer is actually better off.

If you think the service is predatory and screwing over developers by giving them scraps and Microsoft then you are delusional because developers are signing up on their own accord.

DanielsM

Banned
Yeah I am calling bullshit on this one. Microsoft are not strong arming anyone into being on the service.

Your calling bullshit to something I never said?

Lol

As far as your made up numbers and implying adding sales....ms revenue on software and services have been going down.

You're trying to hard.

Small revenue stream for older catalogs....same as it always has been with game rentals.

Last edited:

Lol

As far as your made up numbers and implying adding sales....ms revenue on software and services have been going down.

You're trying to hard.

You still haven't explained why devs are putting their games on the service if it's bad for them.

Once again, only the armchair devs have figured out it's bad for business.

Hopefully the rest of the industry is reading your posts so they can quickly stop supporting Gamepass 😂

Sota4077

Lol

You're trying to hard.

Made up numbers? I used a basic math example of how the system almost certainly works. Microsoft are either paying them per download or they are giving them a lump sum up front. There is no other logical way they would be paying them.

I'm not trying hard at all. I'm simply using basic ass examples of how the system works.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yep. I have no loyalty to platforms and have switched which one was my main several times now. Nintendo through later into the N64/PS1 gen, then PS2, then 360 and then PS4 this gen.

It's unlikely anything but PS5 will end up my main next gen, but that’s solely due to my gaming tastes. Cinematic, narrative-driven action adventure games are my main jam, and Sony is clearly the platform holder focused on those types of games as exclusives. I’ll still have whatever Nintendo hardware comes out and play Microsoft’s games either on my PC if I upgrade it or a series X once there’s enough exclusive that interest me. And Sony’s output could decline for my tastes and one of those may end up as my most played when the generation is done. Time will tell.

I’m just about the games and couldn’t give a shit less about any of the corporations that publish them or put out platforms to play them on, just like I don’t give a shit or have any loyalty to any movie studios or record labels and couldn’t even tell you who puts out what off the top of my head since I mostly just stream things and rarely buy anything. In a perfect world gaming will eventually be platform agnostic and games available to play on a variety of platforms/devices and services Like music and movies.
It really is about the games. I got the Xbox One 1st at the start of this generation for Ryse, DR3 and KI. I ended up really enjoying Sunset Overdrive, FH3, Ori and Quantum Break too it was all about the exclusives

But when I started seeing the other side with Uncharted 4, Spider-man, Days Gone, Final Fantasy 7 and God of War I was crushed that I wouldn't be able to play those games.

I started looking at Xbox's 2017 which had Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Forza 7 and another game that I can't remember right now, but I was like it's time to get a PS4. I still own both but I only turned my Xbox on to finish Gears 5 and try FH4

DanielsM

Banned
You still haven't explained why devs are putting their games on the service if it's bad for them.

Once again, only the armchair devs have figured out it's bad for business.

Hopefully the rest of the industry is reading your posts so they can quickly stop supporting Gamepass 😂
I didnt say any such thing. Lol

DanielsM

Banned
Made up numbers? I used a basic math example of how the system almost certainly works. Microsoft are either paying them per download or they are giving them a lump sum up front. There is no other logical way they would be paying them.

I'm not trying hard at all. I'm simply using basic ass examples of how the system works.
Ms is paying them from their bank, the numbers are basically meaningless.

We all know how it works, MS collects a dollar....devs/pubs might a few pennies on their old games.

Small revenue stream.... not even a fraction of a fraction to dev games with.....nothing wrong with it....just a small revenue stream.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
We all know how it works, MS collects a dollar....devs/pubs might a few pennies on their old games.

Small revenue stream.... not even a fraction of a fraction to dev games with.....nothing wrong with it....just a small revenue stream.
This people are only paying a dollar nonsense is just that...nonsense.

Sota4077

This people are only paying a dollar nonsense is just that...nonsense.

yeah this is one of those things that always makes me roll my eyes. Back in June they had a major push to get as many Xbox Live subscribers switched over to Game Pass for $1. Everyone is treating it as though every person on Game Pass has only paid $1 at this point which could not be further from the truth. Not trying to be a MS Fanboy of anything, but goddamn some people really are choosing to see every aspect of Game Pass through the worst possible light.

Last edited:

FireFly

I must say I really admire the dedication of those who appear on every page of every Game Pass thread to point out that the service doesn't matter. Without them I would never have realised that Game Pass was really a rental service, and that there is no reason to be excited about being able to play any game in Microsoft's catalogue at any time – something that obviously has nothing to do with gaming. You would think the people that post vaguely postive things about Microsoft would have better things to do with their lives, like spending all their time telling other people how they should feel.

Sota4077

I must say I really admire the dedication of those who appear on every page of every Game Pass thread to point out that the service doesn't matter. Without them I would never have realised that Game Pass was really a rental service, and that there is no reason to be excited about being able to play any game in Microsoft's catalogue at any time – something that obviously has nothing to do with gaming. You would think the people that post vaguely postive things about Microsoft would have better things to do with their lives, like spending all their time telling other people how they should feel.

Yeah it gets exhausting wading through the pages and pages of garbage just to run across someone who has an opinion that doesn't boil down to "ROFL XBOX SUX GO PS5!!!" or "GAMEPASS WILL BE THE WAY GAMING IS IN THE FUTURE FO SHO SUX MAH COX SONY!!!" The shit is just so annoying at this point.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I agree with you 100% but there are people here that turned it into sales figures and what flopped and not flopped if you missed the comments. My reply to you wasn’t actually saying that you are saying all that, just about whats going on in here

Also who asked you to give a damn if I got a game from a subscription? I’m sure I didn’t ask you to care. Was just saying how gamepass isn’t bad and also if Sony put some effort in PSNow it’ll be great too

We’re getting robbed in todays industry so whats exactly bad about gamepass or whatever subscription based in the long term?

I mostly own my games and gamepass to me is a great service that offers a great library for a great price too. If I’m hesitant about a game that I don’t wanna drop full amount on? Gamepass is great for all that

Sorry if my first reply to you sounded like I was meaning you in what I said. My apologies brother

Fanatics aside, I think there are valid concerns when Microsoft was shouting they want to be the Netflix of gaming. We all see the content that Netflix produces in order to keep itself afloat, and it’s literally a few sparse diamonds in a rough mountain of shit otherwise.

Hell, they even monetized the shit out of Stranger Things where the following two seasons regressed even worse in which they felt more like a nostalgic product placement of ads with a boring poorly acted story in the background to move all of that along to the next ad scene. The first was excellent, but baited you in to their marketers with the next two.

So the concern for traditional gaming is more than likely the fear that the products will start to suffer for the lowest common dollar competing for time on very low cost services. There is only so much $10-$14 can go around to. And look how many shows that you just get into, get cancelled without resolve super quickly as a side effect.

joe_zazen

Fanatics aside, I think there are valid concerns when Microsoft was shouting they want to be the Netflix of gaming. We all see the content that Netflix produces in order to keep itself afloat, and it’s literally a few sparse diamonds in a rough mountain of shit otherwise.

Hell, they even monetized the shit out of Stranger Things where the following two seasons regressed even worse in which they felt more like a nostalgic product placement of ads with a boring poorly acted story in the background to move all of that along to the next ad scene. The first was excellent, but baited you in to their marketers with the next two.

So the concern for traditional gaming is more than likely the fear that the products will start to suffer for the lowest common dollar competing for time on very low cost services. There is only so much $10-$14 can go around to. And look how many shows that you just get into, get cancelled without resolve super quickly as a side effect.

i wish someone wanted to be the HBO of gaming.

oagboghi2

I am confuse...

How outside of not owning your games is Gamepass bad In any possible way, I mean maybe it might hurt some games sales (Crackdown 3 IE) but I cant really think of any other negatives to this streaming service?
It incentivizes bad practices. If you are making a game for 10 bucks, why not fill with micro transactions and overcharge dlc

Last edited:
What it is more likely do is to save money on the other end - bring production costs down, resulting in very few mega-million dollar budget games. Everything could slowly slide to more of a AA level.
If that means a return to the golden era of the 90's when $60 got you a full game and not 1/2 the game with the rest portioned off to be sold to you later for retarded prices...good.

junguler

Banned
gamers get to play many games they otherwise wouldn't have bought, and microsoft gets to have a higher customer base for their existing and upcoming consoles.
nobody is forcing publishers/developers to put their games on game pass anyways, if it didn't make financial sense, they wouldn't have gone thru with it.

Vawn

Banned
If that means a return to the golden era of the 90's when $60 got you a full game and not 1/2 the game with the rest portioned off to be sold to you later for retarded prices...good.

Those $60 games (which is probably over $80 in today's money) also were made on a budget of a tiny fraction of what AAA games cost today.

Edit: Checked the conversion.

"What cost $60.00 in 1990 would cost $118.83 in 2019."

I don't like shady hidden cost microtransactions either, but gaming has never been cheaper than it is today.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It incentivizes bad practices. If you are making a game for 10 bucks, why not fill with micro transactions and overcharge dlc

This was happening long before gamepass. And claiming gamepass will somehow make it worse is FUD.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
gamers get to play many games they otherwise wouldn't have bought, and microsoft gets to have a higher customer base for their existing and upcoming consoles.
nobody is forcing publishers/developers to put their games on game pass anyways, if it didn't make financial sense, they wouldn't have gone thru with it.
Another one of those basic common sense posts. You guys need to stop this now, C'mon! Dont use facts to refute and debate when it comes to Gamepass or Xbox. The more fantasy and arm chair analysis, the better! We got narratives to think about, god damnit!

oagboghi2

This was happening long before gamepass. And claiming gamepass will somehow make it worse is FUD.
And gamepass further encourages it. The best argument against MTX has always been that a $60 premium purchase should warrant solid game design that isn’t predatory and values people’s time. If you start pricing your games to be no better than games on the iPad or iPhone, you are going to bring those practices over here.

I don’t think it is a coincidence that Sony and Nintendo have never embraced MTX as much as MS has. They still see value in the premium purchase.

Last edited:

LMJ

I would argue that games as a service is a far greater door to increased microtransactions and shoddy development than the Gamepasd itself, but you did give me a new perspective on this, much appreciated O oagboghi2

DanielsM

Banned
Yeah ... Yet you just spammed the entire thread for fun 🙄. Whatever rocks your boat buddy.

No, I am discussing the topic you created, you just don't really want to discuss.... you are not liking what you are reading. The spam is you setting up strawman facts and arguments, and claiming things that were said.... which never were.

Not sure what your problem is. Game Pass is nothing more than the other rental services, I see nothing really wrong with them, generally speaking.

Blond

Banned
Because if you haven't noticed

Gaf > Internet > Gaf

And usually by the time it gets to the internet portion Gaf already predicted or examined everything else.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Those $60 games (which is probably over $80 in today's money) also were made on a budget of a tiny fraction of what AAA games cost today.

I don't like shady hidden cost microtransactions either, but gaming has never been cheaper than it is today.
Don't forget near 100 us dollar new releases like phantasy star 4 on the genesis.

DanielsM

Banned

I have stacks of original Xbox, Xbox 360 games, and PS4 games I will never probably get to... and I spend very little money getting them. Heck, I probably have 30 XBLG games that I fucking forgot about, let alone all the PS+ games. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Unless someone is buying every freaking new game at release.... gaming is super cheap.

Most people truly only consume a few games a year, which is why the subscriptions have to be cheap.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
And gamepass further encourages it. The best argument against MTX has always been that a $60 premium purchase should warrant solid game design that isn’t predatory and values people’s time. If you start pricing your games to be no better than games on the iPad or iPhone, you are going to bring those practices over here.

I don’t think it is a coincidence that Sony and Nintendo have never embraced MTX as much as MS has. They still see value in the premium purchase.

If you truly believe that's what Nintendo and Sony believe then you are deluded. Sonys first party games tend to be single player driven which makes it harder to make microtransactions make sense. But their games with multiplayer have them.

Uncharted 4
MLB the Show
Killzone shadowfall (they tried to save face with this by adding "in game currency)
The Last of Us

Driveclub originally had them but they were removed I believe. I didn't play it at launch so I can't comment on it but they always had microtransactions part of the plan.

All games listed above have microtransactions. If they could put them in stuff like Spiderman and God of war without the media and forums going into maximum overdrive you better believe they would.

Nintendo has mobile games with microtransactions everywhere...

So tell me again how Sony and Nintendo haven't embraced them as much as Microsoft has?

Edit: GTS also has them everywhere and PD swore they wouldn't add them then did a year after launch.

Last edited:

Flintty

You do realize the reverse of everything you said is also true? Graphics didn't matter to MicroGAF in 2013, only truly "great" games like Ryse and Dead Rising 3.

The difference is most people switched to PS4 this gen, because they truly liked the games PlayStation was offering. Really, it was just the blind Xbox fans that will never switch consoles no matter how big of a difference in quality there is.

Most of us, including me, would switch (back) primarily to Xbox if/when they have the better library. The ones who won't are the blind fanboys just like the ones currently defending Xbox's horrible generation this round.

I get what you’re saying but I’ll be honest with my own experiences.
Ive never owned my own Playstation of any generation and never fancied the controller. I stuck with Xbox because I like their controller, I like their exclusives that I’ve been used to since OG Xbox and more importantly, all of my online friends felt the same, so we stuck together. This has nothing to do with me being a ‘blind fanboy’, it’s just what worked for me.

Would I ever get a Playstation? Maybe, if they improve the controller or if they make a game that I feel I can’t miss. So far that hasn’t happened. This isn’t a dig at their exclusives, I’ve heard they’re great. But they haven’t sold me on it. Spiderman came close 😖Nintendo sold me on the Switch, I got one. There are PC games I like, I got my first gaming PC last year after gaming on a toaster since forever. I’m not averse to other platforms.

The gen got off to a horrific start, there’s no defending that. Whilst I enjoyed Halo 5, it could have been better and MS has spaffed a lot of good opportunities. Not having Fable and shutting Lionhead (lowest point for me) is incredibly stupid and still leaves me feeling pissed of at them. Not enough to sell up though. I have lots of great games to play and there have been some positives this generation, with Game Pass being one of them.

Fitzchiv

This user has been removed from thread. Dial back this attitude or your time here will he short.
Who've thought DanielsM would be all over this thread. Never saw that coming. At all.

And no Mod Of War, I won't attack the opinion rather than the person.

Last edited:

Griffon

My prediction?

Gamepass goes the way of Humble Bundle and ends only having very ancient games or low quality ones.
At first I was worried about Gamepass, but looking at bundles... nobody gives a shit about bundles anymore.

Personally, I'd rather pay full price for a game I love, than next to no money for games I don't give a rat's ass about.

Moogle11

Banned
My prediction?

Gamepass goes the way of Humble Bundle and ends only having very ancient games or low quality ones.
At first I was worried about Gamepass, but looking at bundles... nobody gives a shit about bundles anymore.

Personally, I'd rather pay full price for a game I love, than next to no money for games I don't give a rat's ass about.

Yeah, that's why I don't think there's any worry here. If it's not lucrative to put new games on the service long term, they they'll stop doing it and it will go the way you say (i.e. things stay the same as they are now/before Gamepass). If it is making them good money, they'll keep doing it as they are now--just not with all these $1 deals etc. that they're using to get people hooked.

I also don't think it's something that will increase MTs. That just is what it is as gamers are cheaper and as AAA game budgets have soared game prices have stayed stagnant at $60. Unlike movies where as budgets soared theater ticket prices and concessions prices soared, Blurays cost more than DVDs in terms of MSRP etc. Personally, I think a lot of scorn about MTs is overblown these days. There's little pay to win stuff in $60 games, a lot of DLC is worth it (nice expansions for things like Borderlands, fighter pass expansions for fighters instead of separate semi-sequels that split the playerbase like with the multiple versions of SF4 last gen etc.), and most of it is just cosmetics. And if they can keep prices down for me by making bank from people who care what their character looks like, wears etc., that's fine by me. They know what they say about a fool and their money....

DanielsM

Banned
My prediction?

The rental services are really only tied in on the closed eco-systems. Unless one is selling devices than there really is no incentive to use a third party like this as a middleman, especially from the large publishers POV... they already have their own distribution through PCs i.e. uPlay+, EA Access, etc. Microsoft failed at digital distribution so they are looking for another way around the Steam issue.... of course, the large publishers really have no reason to use them in this setup even less.

Who've thought DanielsM would be all over this thread. Never saw that coming. At all.

And no God Of War, I won't attack the opinion rather than the person.

Not my fault you are make unwise life choices, the good news is its not life or death... its just video games.

Either way, since you're not really here to discuss.... seems more like your venting from your own poor choices... I'll put you on ignore and we won't meet again.

Architect: Denial is the most predictable of all human responses, but rest assured...this will be the 6th time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.
Neo: If I were you, I would hope that we don't meet again.
Architect: We won't.

d45c99e549236ec525fc58d63d266954.320x240x1.gif

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Here is Microsoft... I mean the Joker giving away free games... sorry, I mean money!
Then he poisons everybody!

I knew gamespass seemed familiar!

TRUST!

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

The rental services are really only tied in on the closed eco-systems. Unless one is selling devices than there really is no incentive to use a third party like this as a middleman, especially from the large publishers POV... they already have their own distribution through PCs i.e. uPlay+, EA Access, etc. Microsoft failed at digital distribution so they are looking for another way around the Steam issue.... of course, the large publishers really have no reason to use them in this setup even less.

Not my fault you are make unwise life choices, the good news is its not life or death... its just video games.

Either way, since you're not really here to discuss.... seems more like your venting from your own poor choices... I'll put you on ignore and we won't meet again.

d45c99e549236ec525fc58d63d266954.320x240x1.gif

Could you put the entire forum on ignore and save everyone the pseudo-marketing nonsense?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
gamepass makes bad games like crackdown and sea of thieves look good because you got to play it for $1 or $10 max. and it makes good games like state of decay and gears of war 5 feel amazing because wow i only paid $1 for this perfectly average game that all of a sudden becomes amazing because you didnt have to plunk down $60 for it and really analyse it critically.

its a model thats made netflix a juggernaut. you fill up your subscription with enough shit and people will watch it. you dont even need anything truly amazing because you know as long as your audience has something new to play or watch everyday, they wont really care that they dont have something goty worthy.

ms has now gone almost 10 years since their last goty contender in halo reach. and yet if you spend any time on message boards, people constantly post about how amazing MS has been simply because of gamepass.

Renozokii

Developers are worried about services like GP devaluing big budget games. From a screenshot on Twitter

mZ85zOH.jpg
Maybe they will continue doing what they already are, making obscene amounts of money off of microtransactions? I also gotta question how much I should care. Music and Movies have already adopted this model long ago. You can adapt or you can go bye bye.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS

Would abslutely like to see your sources on this one. Probably the 20th time this week alone you're spouting out BS as truth with zero sources or data to back it up. A complete failure.

Yeah ... Yet you just spammed the entire thread for fun 🙄. Whatever rocks your boat buddy.
He just likes typing. It's the same in every thread. Paragraphs of nonsense spoken as fact when he doesn't have a damn clue. Case in point, above. Must get boring when all you do is watch Netflix alone.

Last edited:

Renozokii

You didn't think you were being heard enough in the other thread on this subject, so you created a second to say the same thing?

As was ALREADY discussed in the other thread, some publishers are questioning how well this subscription model will work.

"Some"

You have a source for one. One of the greediest ones if I may add.

ruvikx

Banned
It's not trolling, it's actual concern for the gaming industry

If you believe you understand the economics of game manufacturing better than the actual game publishers themselves, then yes, you really are acting "concerned". I'll say this: if anyone who criticizes MS gamepass because they believe it's "bad" for the industry has ever borrowed a game from a friend, bought a used game or even (lol) pirated a game, then they can kindly go jump in a swamp.

Hell, under such phony "concern", even people who wait for discounts could be accused of damaging the industry. Yes, let's all rush out there & pay $69.99 day one in the name of our love for the gaming industry. Or, we could recognize the fact people who play games have financial limitations, cannot buy every game released at full price & as such, gamepass & such services can help everyone.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Maybe they will continue doing what they already are, making obscene amounts of money off of microtransactions? I also gotta question how much I should care. Music and Movies have already adopted this model long ago. You can adapt or you can go bye bye.
That's exactly what I'll do if gaming as a whole goes the service route

I'll be playing retro games only. Fuck renting lower quality games on services just for the benefit of convenience

DanielsM

Banned
Would abslutely like to see your sources on this one. Probably the 20th time this week alone you're spouting out BS as truth with zero sources or data to back it up. A complete failure.He just likes typing. It's the same in every thread. Paragraphs of nonsense spoken as fact when he doesn't have a damn clue. Case in point, above. Must get boring when all you do is watch Netflix alone.

Yes, everyone is going to get rich off of renting old games, that I can pick up on sale or used for a few bucks. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Its so lucrative that Microsoft sells it for a $1. I'm sure all those devs are lining up their yacht purchases down in the Bahamas.

Who the fuck would have known that Crackdown 3 could make everyone so much money through a rental service.

Look, I know you are butthurt about your life choices and you are digging deeper in the trench than the last remaining Windows Phone users.... but that's not my fault. I hear vasoline helps on the rawness around the rim.... my parting gift to you as you enter the ignore zone.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
I’m not sure how I feel about Gamepass as a whole. I guess I do feel like it’s devalued games.

You could go further & say the writing was on the wall when achievements landed last gen, i.e. replayability was nullified to a large extent when user accounts became associated with trophy hunts whereby a game would have limited replay value once the achievement/trophy list was attained. Add the fact many games are long (2 hours gaming a day for a 120 hour RPG = 2 months of someone's time) & it's obvious people will play something, get the achievements & never touch it again. That's where subscription models come into play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom