• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IF Googles console succeeds, either Sony or Nintendo will likely be pushed out. Are you prepared?

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Google doesn't have a community. The Big 3 consoles will have repeat customers next gen and they have all been doing a great job keeping their customers relatively happy, despite some missteps. There is simply not enough for Google to fix, to make people want to move exclusively to their platform. What they are hoping for is what all the game companies hope for. To win the casual market. They got it in spades in terms of mobile games, but I wouldn't really call that a community.

Google's console will not make a dent immediately. We'll see what happens over time. The controller patent design itself makes it a no-go for me.
I don't know. If they can offer a streaming service with minimal latency and a bunch of 3rd party games (to start) itll take some time to grow their fanbase but its certainly not in the realm of impossibility. We'll see.

All that being said, I think their streaming cloud service will be on point. We will have a look later today. GDC is in a few hours.

tenor.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Google doesn't have a community. The Big 3 consoles will have repeat customers next gen and they have all been doing a great job keeping their customers relatively happy, despite some missteps. There is simply not enough for Google to fix, to make people want to move exclusively to their platform. What they are hoping for is what all the game companies hope for. To win the casual market. They got it in spades in terms of mobile games, but I wouldn't really call that a community.

Google's console will not make a dent immediately. We'll see what happens over time. The controller patent design itself makes it a no-go for me.

I suppose people had similar doubts about Microsoft entering the console space with the original Xbox. What were they going to do that would make it a worthy upgrade to the trifecta of Sony, Nintendo, and Sega?

Whatever Google reveals, it'll probably shake things up over the traditional "online game store model". It'll probably be something that seems weird and maybe counter-intuitive to us, but will make sense to the wider audience. "Casual market" might be the wrong term though.

I suppose people had similar doubts about Microsoft entering the console space with the original Xbox. What were they going to do that would make it a worthy upgrade to the trifecta of Sony, Nintendo, and Sega?

Whatever Google reveals, it'll probably shake things up over the traditional "online game store model". It'll probably be something that seems weird and maybe counter-intuitive to us, but will make sense to the wider audience. "Casual market" might be the wrong term though.

Agree. It's going to be a streaming service. This will complement the gaming habits of existing console gamers while opening up gaming and making it more accessible to the larger casual community. At the end of the day, it'll be a much needed addition to the gaming segment as major publishers are making fewer games, development costs are increasing, and games as a service is becoming the only viable type of game to make in order to survive. Having a "netflix of gaming" service will bring an influx of cash into the market to help breathe life into the dying single player only, AAA story games. One more hour, and we'll all know much more!

Jigsaah

Gold Member

True, but Microsoft already had Windows. People had been gaming on their operating system and one could argue, Windows XP alone gave Microsoft a community. You could say well what about Android. I can't place a finger on it, but somehow I don't feel like Android translates as well.

That wider audience is not what we would call core or hardcore. "Casual" can be a demeaning term in the video game world, but I'm not meaning it with negative inflection. These are gamers who don't generally prefer to play on console or who may not really game at all? This was a phenomenon realized by the Wii.

My dad is 69 years old currently, He bought a Wii for himself, and the last console he bought before that was a Sega Genesis....for me. His situation is not all encompassing when discussing the casual market. I don't think Google's going after my dad necessarily. Rather, I believe there are a metric fuck-ton of people who play games on mobile, who don't own a console. Whoever threads that needle first will win. I feel Nintendo has proven they can. Microsoft has discussed that it will. Google can say they currently are. Sony has not said much recently, which may be just part of their "crouching down" thing but I think they are really stuck in their ways sometimes and going with the "if it ain't broke, on't fix it" mantra.

Actually Sega was already in declining relevance by that point, it was mostly the idea of it competing against PlayStation that raised question marks. When Xbox started demolishing the GameCube the forums back then were on fire, and when papers put out Xbox won the month and what not it was death on every corner. You couldn't walk in the street at night at all.

Ok maybe it wasn't that bad. But it was some fun times.

tr1p1ex

Sony already doing cloud gaming. They already know it doesn't work.

So both Sony and Nintendo stay intact. Google's efforts will go nowhere. MS always has a chance to dethrone Sony every new generation but will be hard to do unless Sony shoots themselves in the foot and MS publishes another Halo-sized hit.

Nintendo is Nintendo. No one doing what they do. Love 'em or hate 'em. They have an audience and a great brand. Sometimes they swing and miss. But they aren't afraid to swing for the fences.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Nintendo has the family market in a solid way that this is unlikely to disrupt. Our 7-year old takes the Switch on long car rides and I sure as hell won't ever have fast internet in the vehicle for something like Stadia.

Were they wrong? The only semi successful console by Microsoft was mostly due to Sony releasing $600 machine without games.

Were they wrong? The only semi successful console by Microsoft was mostly due to Sony releasing $600 machine without games.

Xbox was successful, it was the new guy against Sony who just blew a generation out the water, and Nintendo, who had a rabid fanbase and 3 gens of consoles before. Xbox beat the GameCube, even after it was cut early, and beat the PS2 a few times in some countries.

Technically, the Xbox One is a success as well, sure it's not first place, but it beat the Wii U which people were not expecting originally, and has managed to sell quite a big number, though could be higher if their earlier mistakes were addressed.

Virex

Banned
Ha!

Your threads amount to:

Hello fellow gamers:

Sony is da best! ...some might say, except their games really aren’t that good and Microsoft is so much better.

Microsoft is poised to destroy everyone next generation! They really are. I should know because I read stuff, here is everything I read.

AOC is the worst right!!? Just a few more non-Microsoft posts and surely I will appear impartial... Yes, just a few more posts.
He likes to create retarded clickbait threads. Or just retarded threads. So don’t mind Voost Kain. His threads speak for themselves

Top Bottom