• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could only have one system between PS1, N64 and Saturn...

jbueno

As much as a N64 fanboy I was back then, if given a choice nowadays I´d choose a Japanese Saturn. Love all 3 platforms though, planing on getting an NTSC-J Saturn in a couple of months and descend into the madness that is collecting Saturn games.

Synth

I fully understand if you have games you like more on whichever system. But, I just don't know how you can look at the insane library PSX had, and not choose it. The sheer numbers game of it is insanely stacked in its favor.

Yea, if I were to try and offer up some sort of objective valuation of the consoles.. then it'd be more like PS1 > Saturn = N64, or something like that (N64 and Saturn kinda cancel out due to Saturn having far better representation of many genres vs N64 having a handful of the best games ever).

That's not what this thread is asking though. It's asking if I could only play one of the consoles ever again, which would it be. Back then my Saturn got probably 5x the play that my PS1 got, which in turn got like 10x the play my N64 did. I feel that I explored the libraries enough during that gen (and since) that the value of the known games I like outweighs the potential for finding new awesome shit in the PS1's deeper library. I'm confident I'd regret choosing it pretty quickly.

cj_iwakura

If you don't care for rpgs, the PS1 takes a huge step down. If you love Sega arcade games, the Saturn takes a huge step up.

And if you like schmups, the Saturn is far far better.

Saturn wins.

Saturn had some amazing exclusive RPGs, second only to the PS1.

Dragon Force, Shining Force III, Shining The Holy Ark, Magic Knight Rayearth, etc.

Only choice is PS1.

JRPGs in spades.
Only choice for survival horror.
More sport games than the other two consoles combined.
Decent in 2d/3d fighters.
Biggest library of light gun games, puzzle games, adventure games, FMV games, and many other genres.
Highest number of niche Japanese games

If you care about new gaming experiences rather than just reliving games you're nostalgic for, there's no other way to go other than PS1.

TLZ

Banned
Will miss n64 but will have to go PS1 for the tons of variety and fun, plus using it as a music CD player.

I've honestly never played a Saturn-original game but I might actually consider picking Saturn just for some of its arcade ports. I definitely feel like this was one of the weaker console generations - grew up with a N64 but I can't say many games on it (or the PS1) appeal to me that much.

Varg

Banned
Still to this day, nothing has blown me away from the video game industry such as the first time I played with a n64 . I will take the n64 with its classic games and multiplayer mayhem any day of the week .

I wonder how many people in here have actually gone back to revisit their favourite games from that generation?

It... doesn't always end well.

I felt this way going back to things like goldeneye or mario kart 64, mainly because of the controls. I have no problem going back to my psx favorites, though. I'm even still discovering new gems like Suikoden and Mega Man Legends, which I played for the first time recently and loved both. Though the controls in Legends are also pretty rough.

My heart says N64, but my brain says PS1. I think you'd get more time out of PS1 games with the plethora of JRPGs, if you're a fan. However, the platformers on N64 are gold.

THPS, MGS, Gran Turismo, FF7, Oddworld, CV SOTN, Crash, Spyro, Tomb Raider, RE 1-3, Silent Hill, Mega Man X, SFAlpha, Tekken, Diablo, Warcraft, Ape Escape, Xenogears, Breath of Fire 3/4, Persona, Soul Reaver, wipeout, DoA, Dino Crisis, suikoden, Final Doom, Rayman, Medievil, Soul Caliber, Tenchu, Valkyrie profile, Parasite Eve, Parappa, Driver, Alundra, GTA, Medal of Honor, Tactics Ogre, Twisted Metal, R4, and more.

Yeah I'll take the system with this library and not even have to think about it.

Lothar

Banned
PS1. This is really easy and there's no question what would win. You could probably cut PS1's timespan in half and it would still win.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
As a kid N64 was the best choice, but if I had to choose today, Saturn without a doubt. Those mid 90s Sega games, the jrpgs imports, those capcom and SNK fighters near arcade perfect.

Basically went through all mentionworty N64 and Saturn games bar some obscure Japan only games.

While I still discover new hidden gems for the Playstation.

PS1, but I'm going to pour one for my love of the Saturn. And fuck you for making me choose.

The N64 can die in a fire for all I care. Terrible console.

Montresor

N64 without any hesitation. Like it wouldn't even be close. Almost nothing on the original Playstation interested me. Playstation 2 is when Sony really started to make awesome games (in my eyes), like God of War / Shadow of the Colossus.

N64 has Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, etc... My god. I mean N64 has a handful of games, but these are the games I like. I liked pretty much nothing on the original Playstation 1.

The PS2 is the only system i'd take over the PSone, and even that's a tough choice. Aside from the crazy amount of good games, I think it saw the most experimental games of any console. That was the first time most developers were going 3D, so it was really like the industry hit the reset button. Developers were trying lots of weird shit, and it was a great time when a bomb didn't mean that a developer was going out of business because games didn't cost an obscene amount of money to make. There's really no other console quite like it.

notaskwid

Was there even a game as mind blowing as Mario 64 on PS1?

What does "mind blowing" means? Something that came out and there was nothing like it at the time? If that's it, stuff like FFVII, Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid are just as "mind blowing" as Mario 64.

Lothar

Banned
Was there even a game as mind blowing as Mario 64 on PS1?

There was no game more revolutionary but Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy 7 were far more mind blowing for me. I just kept being pissed at Mario 64's camera angles and thinking I'd rather be playing Super Mario World instead.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'd probably go N64.

Had both back in the day, and back then played the PS1 a bit more.

But I I had to go back and pick one to play now, I think the N64 has more games that held up a tad better, and offer more replayability for me than PS1 games.

That's just me though. I'm not big on replaying games, but Nintendo is the exception and has several games/series I replay semi-regularly.

But truthfully, aside from remakes and some 2D games, I have no interest in playing games from that era. 3D graphics were just far too rough and most everything from that era got superior sequels (or superior games in the same genre) in later generations.

Saturn obviously. It has Shining Force 3, Shining the Holy Ark, the best 2D games, SHMUPs, a great Japanese exclusive library, NiGHTS, and Panzer Dragoon.

Daingurse

Didn't grow up with any of these consoles . . . but I guess the PS1? I always wanted a Saturn when I was a kid because I was a Sega fanboy, but the PS1 library seems a lot stronger. I wanted an N64 back then for Pokemon Stadium alone, but that doesn't have much pull today lol.

N64 easily. I've never really been a huge fanof the softwareline-up on playstation consoles. The occasional games but not a huge amount. That plus i don't really like the controller. I was a pretty big fan of segas output but for whateverreason i wasn't a huge fan of the saturn or dreamcast which is probably blasphemy.

Top Bottom