• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could only have one system between PS1, N64 and Saturn...

Light gun and 3D fighters goes to Saturn as well.

Don't be silly.

House of the Dead, Virtua Cop 1 & 2 make it a no contest just on those.

Virtua Fighter 1 & 2, Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx, Sonic Fighters, Virtua Fighter Kids. Come on man.

Don't be silly.

It's all subjective obviously, but PS1 also has strong representation on those genres.

Time Crisis and Point Blank are classics.

For 3D fighters, there are Tekken, Bloody Roar, Rival School, Ehrgeiz, and Tobal.

hongcha

Saturn. It easily has the most games I enjoyed playing during its gen, but of course I am also counting the games only released in Japan. Second would be N64 - not a huge library, but it has a lot of killer games. I was actually not a big fan of the PS1's library back then, and even now I'm not terribly smitten with it.

My friends and I played the 64 together every time we hung out. So the edge would PROBABLY go to that, but some of my favorite games of all time are on the PS1.

Tough, but I gotta side with those late night games of No Mercy, Smash, and Goldeneye.

dcx4610

PS1 for variety.

People that love the N64 clearly grew up with it and was one of their first consoles so they have nostalgia for it. It just wasn't a good system and to me, was the downfall of Nintendo which they haven't recovered from.

Randomizer

Let's do this by genre...

Arcade racing: PS1 > Saturn > N64 (I'm sure plenty would choose Saturn!)
Sim racing: PS1 > N64 > Saturn
Sports: PS1 > N64 > Saturn (I'll entertain N64 for its superior multiplayer)
2D Fighting: Saturn > PS1 > N64
3D Fighitng: PS1 > Saturn > N64
Shmups: Saturn > PS1 > N64
Light Gun Games: PS1 > Saturn > N64
2D Platformers: Saturn > PS1 > N64
3D Platformers: N64 > PS1 > Saturn
Rhythm games: PS1 > Saturn > N64
RPG's: PS1 > Saturn > N64
FPS: N64 > PS1 > Saturn
Puzzle games: PS1 > Saturn > N64
Survival Horror: PS1 > N64 > Saturn
Stealth: PS1 > N64 > Saturn

What did I miss? Any objections?

3rd Person shooters (MGS, Syphon Filter, Jet Force Gemini, Operation Winback, Mission Impossible etc)
RTS (Starcraft 64, C&C etc.)
Action Adventure (Zelda, Soul Reaver, Alundra etc.)
Point and Click Adventure/Visual Novel (Broken Sword, Policenauts, Discworld etc.)
Beat em Ups (Fighting Force, Jackie Chan: Stuntmaster, Spiderman etc.)

Agree with Collingswood on the 3d fighters, but I can say I finally liked Tekken when Tekken 3 came out. Soul Blade was fun too.

North America never got Tobal 2. I had it, but that feels like a fail.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
you can split hairs about preferring soul edge to last Bronx.

UL78sj0.gif

Tough pick between the Saturn and PS1 for me.

Going with Saturn, because I can't get most of the games I love on it anywhere else. I could get my all time favorite game, Symphony of the Night on it in decent form if I absolutely had to, but then I would also be able to play my #2 favor Legend of Oasis, followed closely by Guardian Heroes and Dragon Force.

If you took alternative availability away, I would go with PS1.

HotHamBoy

It's all subjective obviously, but PS1 also has strong representation on those genres.

Time Crisis and Point Blank are classics.

For 3D fighters, there are Tekken, Bloody Roar, Rival School, Ehrgeiz, and Tobal.

Ooh, i forgot about Tobal and Bloody Roar.

Again, it's interesting that people would rather replay the same games they played as a kid instead of exploring a library that would be mostly new to them.

I have a hard time picking the PS1 over the N64 and missing out on Smash Bros, Pokemon Snap, Mario Kart, etc... but I'm still jealous of all the PS1 games I never got to play. I've been meaning to pick up a few on PSN.

Cipherr

Probably N64 if it was back then (and thats what I chose back then.)

Local multiplayer was just to big of a deal when I was younger. 4 players all on one console >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2 people sitting waiting for a turn. So N64 wins that.

If it was today I would go PSX because local multiplayer isn't that big of a deal since we have all grown up and we don't have any kids so I wouldnt really miss the multiplayer as much. Saturn was great but not even Guardian Heroes and NiGHTS can compare to the industry defining juggernaut titles N64 and PS1 had.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Do I get any game I'd wanna play along with it (like Saturn Bomberman and Shining Force 3)? Saturn.

Do I just get the games I already have (FF7 is my fave game so it'd not be a bad fate)? Playstation.

N64 never cause its game selection was crap.

HeelPower

Just imagine the full PS1 library being fully updated and remade for PS4,you'd have a library of unparalleled diversity,quantity and quality.

It waa insane for its time,would be insane now.

MacTag

Banned
Let's do this by genre...

Arcade racing: PS1 > Saturn > N64 (I'm sure plenty would choose Saturn!)
Sim racing: PS1 > N64 > Saturn
Sports: PS1 > N64 > Saturn (I'll entertain N64 for its superior multiplayer)
2D Fighting: Saturn > PS1 > N64
3D Fighitng: PS1 > Saturn > N64
Shmups: Saturn > PS1 > N64
Light Gun Games: PS1 > Saturn > N64
2D Platformers: Saturn > PS1 > N64
3D Platformers: N64 > PS1 > Saturn
Rhythm games: PS1 > Saturn > N64
RPG's: PS1 > Saturn > N64
FPS: N64 > PS1 > Saturn
Puzzle games: PS1 > Saturn > N64
Survival Horror: PS1 > N64 > Saturn
Stealth: PS1 > N64 > Saturn

What did I miss? Any objections?
I'd argue with a couple.

Arcade racers: N64 > Saturn > PS1
3D Fighters: Saturn > PS1 > N64
Lightgun games: Saturn > PS1 (N64 is n/a)

And add a couple.

Action Adventure: N64 > PS1 > Saturn
Adventure: PS1 > Saturn > N64
Strategy RPG: PS1 > Saturn > N64
Action RPG: PS1 > Saturn > N64
Simulation: PS1 > N64 > Saturn
3D Shmups: N64 > Saturn > PS1
Beat 'em ups: Saturn > PS1 > N64
Party/Minigame: N64 > PS1 > Saturn
Wrestling: N64 > Saturn > PS1
Retro Collections: PS1 > Saturn > N64

PS1. If the argument is "N64 game have aged well", you'd be kidding yourselves. There are so many 2D and iso games on PS1 that have aged far better than the early 3D games on both consoles. Plus, Spyro > Banjo Kazooie.

I like the N64 but the PS1 just has much more variety and a greater range of genres to pick from, beyond those who haven't aged well.

Best wishes.

Triteon

PS1. As someone who had all three.

I can hardly remember anything on the saturn. i have a feeling alot of games people loved maybe didnt come out in australia. It was essentially a dust gathering device for me until i gave it to a cousin. Now i know there were a bunch of excellent games, but back then if they wernt on shelves i didnt know about it.

The N64 had some top tier stuff but it was few and far between.

Which leaves the PS1. Id say it had both depth and quality and an absolute abundance of 7.5 to 9.0 games. Like SOTN, Lunar or Suikoden etc. Games that arent GOAT (well they might be for some people) but are super solid.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Even though i was a sega kid, even i didn't play my saturn all that much, that's how much of a failure it was compared to the other consoles, and how Sega had supported it. I can only recall playing Sonic R, Sonic3D Blast, Nights and Sonic Jam on that thing, which is sad but whatever

N64 i played occasionally, it had plenty of great games like perfect dark, Goldeneye, Mario 64, XG2, Ocarina of time, F Zero X, Smash bros ect

But as my 'mainstream' console, PS1 was generally my go to because of the overwhelming support it received. Everything from tekken to FF was supported, and i honestly would not have gamed half as much as i did without that system on hand.

So i obviously choose PS1.

It's PS1.

For as many good memories as I have with the N64 the PS1 is one of the best consoles ever.

And Saturn...well I never had one.

Slygmous

I already made this choice back in the 90s...

Saturn

Virtua Fighter 2, Fighters Megamix, Guardian Heroes, Sega Rally, Sonic Jam, Nights, Panzer Dragoon Zwei.

I'm sure PS1 has more variety and a lot of stuff I've missed out on over the years, but oh well.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
PS1 has the better versions of Tony Hawk

Like PS1 is in the GOAT contender category with NES, SNES and PS2. N64 and Saturn are pretty much flops with a few highlights.

MacTag

Banned
I'm struggling with one.
N64 had a shit ton. Hell four from EAD alone (Wave Race 64, Mario Kart 64, 1080, F-Zero X) that were each top shelf, plus so many others like Beetle Adventure Racing, MRC, Diddy Kong Racing, Extreme G 1-2, Wipeout 64, Snowboard Kids 1-2, SF Rush 1/2/2049, Hydro Thunder, Penny Racers, Excitebike 64, Star Wars E1R, Top Gear Rally/Overdrive, RR64...

Racing was one of the few genres where N64 was actually very competitive.

Synth

N64 had a shit ton. Hell four from EAD alone (Wave Race 64, Mario Kart 64, 1080, F-Zero X) that were each top shelf, plus so many others like Beetle Adventure Racing, MRC, Diddy Kong Racing, Extreme G 1-2, Wipeout 64, Snowboard Kids 1-2, SF Rush 1/2/2049, Hydro Thunder, Penny Racers, Excitebike 64, Star Wars E1R, Top Gear Rally/Overdrive, RR64...

Racing was one of the few genres where N64 was actually very competitive.

Sorry, had to edit my post. It was supposed to say "I'm struggling with this one" (as in I didn't understand the rankings) not "I'm struggling with one" (as in I can't even think of one arcade racer) lol.

There are quite a few on your list that I'd contest tbh (especially MK64 which I have pretty strong opinions on, lol), but yea there's a few games there that I forgot about that elevate it's library in this category I'll admit (Hydro Thunder, Rush 2049 and Star War Episode 1 Racer specifically).

Ridge Racer 64 was atrocious though. :p

Top Bottom