• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could only have one system between PS1, N64 and Saturn...

N64 was great fun; some of my favorite games of all time, and I'd be perfectly content with only N64 games forever. Saturn was great as well. But... definitely PS1. No contest. I'd be happy with just Twisted Metal 2 forever, if we're honest, but throw in Tekken 3, Metal Gear Solid, the Gran Turismo games, the Need for Speed games, the Final Fantasy games, the Driver games... the other systems can't keep up. And those are just the exclusives; you still get all the cross-platform Tomb Raider and Resident Evil and Tony Hawk stuff.

I would seriously miss Banjo Kazooie, Mario 64 and Goldeneye, but they just can't match the sheer volume of the PS1 library.

Seriously though, if you had even a passing interest in jrpgs, ps1 was home to the greatest number of classics. Every other genre was well represented but the RPGs are what defined the ps1 for me.
Damn fine system even without them, with classics like Mgs, klonoa, crash bandicoot, spyro, wipeout, gran tourism...too many to list.

PS1. Next.

This is the most unfair competition I've seen in GAF "poll" type threads.

PS1 by an extra long and wide country mile. That being said, I still love my Saturn, which I still own and play regularly.

For my own personal experience and current tastes (and it'll probably remain like this forever):

PS1 > Saturn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> N64

Daingurse

Can I pick Dreamcast instead?

EucIfYY.gif

PS1 no question. There is a reason Sony have the position they do in the console business. The library and controller were ace back in the day.

Since we are in the Halloween season I'll just say PS1 has the best lineup of horror games for any console IMO.

Silent Hill, Resident Evil 1+2+3, Parasite Eve 1+2, Nightmare Creatures 1+2, Clock Tower, Dino Crisis 1+2 (ok ok, 2 isn't a horror game but damn if it isn't good)...

Can we count Medievil?

This is really tough. All 3 are great, must have consoles.

1- N64. Goldeneye, the wrestling games, Mario 64, Zelda, Mario Kart. That's tough to beat.

2- PlayStation

3- Sega Saturn

It's tough for me to put the Saturn 3rd, but the PlayStation had great variety. In the end I couldn't put my strange love for Sonic R and Nights ahead of PlayStation's monster library.

MacTag

Banned
Sorry, had to edit my post. It was supposed to say "I'm struggling with this one" (as in I didn't understand the rankings) not "I'm struggling with one" (as in I can't even think of one arcade racer) lol.

There are quite a few on your list that I'd contest tbh (especially MK64 which I have pretty strong opinions on, lol), but yea there's a few games there that I forgot about that elevate it's library in this category I'll admit (Hydro Thunder, Rush 2049 and Star War Episode 1 Racer specifically).

Ridge Racer 64 was atrocious though. :p
I definitely think MK64 is the weakest of EAD's N64 racers, and one of the weaker MK series entries too, but I actually think it's the tightest cart racer that gen. CTR is really it's only competition imo, DKR is dull (but pretty) in comparison and most of the rest (Sonic R, MMBR, Bomberman Kart, etc) are sloppy at best.

I'll agree RR64 was rough but it's still Ridge Racer underneath it all. The design still shows through even if PS1's Hi-Spec version demolishes it.

I'd argue with a couple.

Arcade racers: N64 > Saturn > PS1
3D Fighters: Saturn > PS1 > N64
Lightgun games: Saturn > PS1 (N64 is n/a)

And add a couple.

Action Adventure: N64 > PS1 > Saturn
Adventure: PS1 > Saturn > N64
Strategy RPG: PS1 > Saturn > N64
Action RPG: PS1 > Saturn > N64
Simulation: PS1 > N64 > Saturn
3D Shmups: N64 > Saturn > PS1
Beat 'em ups: Saturn > PS1 > N64
Party/Minigame: N64 > PS1 > Saturn
Wrestling: N64 > Saturn > PS1
Retro Collections: PS1 > Saturn > N64

Good call on most of these. I actually prefer PS1 party/mini games to N64, but that's because I love Bishi Bashi and have always kind of hated Mario Party.

Also no way in hell would I put N64 arcade racers about Saturn and PS1, but that list you posted is surprisingly impressive.

Music & rhythm games - DDR, PaRappa the Rapper, Bust a Groove, etc. Did these even exist on N64 or Saturn?

There's a few obscure one's on Saturn, but PS1 totally owned in this genre. I still play Lammy and Vib Ribbon.

Azriell

I loved the N64's library, but I think the PS1 wins if only because of the size. Also, if this is a "choose one and play only it forever", or if this in any way involves modern day, I have to give it to PS1 because those games have aged better imo, and the controller feels much better in the hand.

But giving up Mario 64, Blast Corps, Zelda, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and DK64, just to name a few, is super fucking difficult.

MacTag

Banned
Since we are in the Halloween season I'll just say PS1 has the best lineup of horror games for any console IMO.

Silent Hill, Resident Evil 1+2+3, Parasite Eve 1+2, Nightmare Creatures 1+2, Clock Tower, Dino Crisis 1+2 (ok ok, 2 isn't a horror game but damn if it isn't good)...

Can we count Medievil?
I'd agree but Enemy Zero still holds a special place in my heart.

N64 was my first choice back in the day. The PS1 ended up becoming my favorite console of all time though. So my choice is ps1 obviously lol.

pastrami

I have no experience with the Sega Saturn so I really have no idea what it has to offer. It's basically between the PS1 and N64 for me. And PS1 wins handily. I can think of a half-dozen N64 games that I'm fond of, but dozens of PS1 games.

And to top off the classic PS1 games people usually remember, there were a bunch of PC games ported to it. Stuff like X-Com, Worms Armageddon, Panzer General, Descent, Wing Commander, Crusader, Civilization 2, Diablo etc.

So yeah, if I could only play one console between the Saturn, N64 and PS1, it's the one that lets me play just about everything from that era.

yyr

I loved the kooky Saturn more than the PS1, and Super Mario 64 remains one of my favorite games of all time, but I can't argue with the facts: PS1 had a much bigger library of excellent games than either of its competitors.

And, well, Final Fantasy Tactics.

So, I must choose the grey box.

2D Platformers: Saturn > PS1 > N64

That's the only one I'll argue.

Skullmonkeys and Mishief Makers > Astal = Rayman
Klonoa & Tomba > Wild 9 > Kirby 64 > Clockwork Knight

...but also puzzle platformers Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus, Heart of Darkness on PS1.

Imports, we'll get Silhouette Mirage for Saturn, but PS1 got a good enough port. With that game's run n gun elements allowed, it makes room for Strider 2 on PS1... which would have made a great Saturn game.

Best Mega Man 8, I guess... there was some X's on Saturn right? Weren't the majority of those on PS1 that gen? Probably plenty of imports I don't know for Saturn, but I bet that also goes for PS1.

Yoshi's Story was so disappointing :(

Beat 'em ups though: Saturn > PS1 > ...? N64

That Japanese Saturn line up is very strong...

Like I said, for me personally PS1 easily takes it. But this is an excellent point that shouldn't be overlooked.

Some of my best gaming experiences come from the mighty fine 2D fighting game ports on the Saturn, many of which were Japan-exclusive.

The Marvel series: X-Men COTA, Marvel Super Heroes, X-Men vs Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter. The last two of those made excellent use of the 4 Meg cart that, and those two were also Japan-only.

Street Fighter: Capcom Collection 5 (the CPS1 games), Street Fighter Collection (Super and Super X), Zero, Zero 2, and Zero 3. Zero 3 (Japan exclusive) in particular remains the best home console port of that game, one of the absolute best uses of the 4M cart, and a fitting swan song to the Saturn. Capcom Collection 5 and Zero 3 are both rare games these days and command VERY high prices online.

Vampire series: Vampire Hunter and Vampire Savior. Savior in particular is amazing. For a long time, if people just needed ONE vampire game, this was it. Again, Capcom putting that amazing 4Meg cart technology to use.

And that's just on the Capcom side. SNK brought all sorts of amazing goodness with King of Fighters, Fatal Fury and Samurai Spirits ports, and also quirky Sunsoft stuff like Waku Waku 7.

And these games were usually much, much, much better than their PS1 versions.

Hot damn, 5th gen was really a 2D fighting game fan's heaven. I'm not big into lists but I got carried away with excitement in this post...

I wonder how many people in here have actually gone back to revisit their favourite games from that generation?

It... doesn't always end well.
Dont know about n64 and saturn, but most of my favorite ps1 games are rpg and those games stood up just fine even today, unless you really cant stand retro 3d graphic, I often replay classic ps1 rpg from time to time and they're still as good now as when they launched back then.

Actually, many of them are still better than modern gen rpg unfortunately.

MacTag

Banned
That's the only one I'll argue.

Skullmonkeys and Mishief Makers > Astal = Rayman
Klonoa & Tomba > Kirby 64 > Clockwork Knight

...but also puzzle platformers Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus, Heart of Darkness on PS1.

Imports, we'll get Silhouette Mirage for Saturn, but PS1 got a good enough port. With that games run n gun elements allowed, it makes room for Strider 2 on PS1... which would have made a great Saturn game.

Best Mega Man 2, I guess... there was some X's on Saturn right? Were most of those were on PS1 that gen?

Yoshi's Story was so disappointing :(

Beat 'em ups though: Saturn > PS1 > ...? N64
Saturn had some neat imports too like Tryrush Deppy, Assault Suit Leynos 2, Psychic Assasin Taromaru, Keio Flying Squadron 2, Bubble Symphony or Super Tempo. Not to mention amazing ports of Sonic 1-3K on Sonic Jam. And it had the superior versions of Megaman 8 & X4.

Saturn had some neat imports too like Tryrush Deppy, Assault Suit Leynos 2, Psychic Assasin Taromaru, Keio Flying Squadron 2, Bubble Symphony or Super Tempo. Not to mention amazing ports of Sonic 1-3K on Sonic Jam. And it had the superior versions of Megaman 8 & X4.

Ah yeah I forgot about Sonic Jam.

I actually meant Mega Man 8 not 2, and was editing in that there's probably a lot of import Saturn platformers, but probably also PS1 imports I don't know either.

I doubt I'd take any of them over Skullmonkeys or Mishief Makers, if you gave me full access.

Pyccko

I mean, by my estimation only one of those had a (severely hobbled by load times) version of Chrono Trigger so

As much as I LOVE the N64's lineup, I could probably plow through it in a few years. The PS1 is unparalleled when it comes to its sheer levels of depth and diversity. It'd probably last me like, two lifetimes.

No Mario 64, Kirby, Smash Bros, or Zelda would really hurt though... and I'd be stuck with the worst versions of various Capcom fighters. Tekken makes up for it though.

Saturn is awesome for arcadey-type games but it doesn't have the same level of diversity, so as much as I'd love it I'll have to turn it down if you put a gun in my head.

It would suck to miss out on Zelda, but PS1 has waaaaaaay too many awesome fucking games to not pick. From Silent Hill to the Final Fantasys to the Chrono games to Xenogears to Metal Gear Solid to some of the other countless awesome JRPGs to the Mega Man Legend games etc. etc. etc. Bloody fucking great system. My pick just has to be PS1.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It would suck to miss out on Zelda, but PS1 has waaaaaaay too many awesome fucking games to not pick. From Silent Hill to the Final Fantasys to the Chrono games to Xenogears to Metal Gear Solid to some of the other countless awesome JRPGs to the Mega Man Legend games etc. etc. etc. Bloody fucking great system. My pick just has to be PS1.

Basically, my childhood was fully backed up by games like soul blade, tekken, megaman 8/X4, Street fighter Alpha, Silent Hill, Final Fantasy, MGS, Crash and such.

It was THE third party console, and while it was the shovelware system of that generation, it also had more diamonds in general i think.

People tend to look back on N64 fondly because it was truly the first "Nintendo console". Even though there were much less games than PS1 for example, most of the games on the console were quality and there was barely any shovelware to be found, because Nintendo was the one primarily supporting it with classics and show stoppers.

Dont know about n64 and saturn, but most of my favorite ps1 games are rpg and those games stood up just fine even today, unless you really cant stand retro 3d graphic, I often replay classic ps1 rpg from time to time and they're still as good now as when they launched back then.

Actually, many of them are still better than modern gen rpg unfortunately.

Yeah, I think plenty of RPG's from this era hold up just fine. Likewise a good 2D fighter will always remain very playable. FPS games from that gen? Not so much.

Kill3r7

PS1 for the jrpgs, MGS, GT2, SotN and Crash. However, N64 with Mario64, Zelda OoT and MM, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo, Conley, Star Fox, Rogue Squadron, MarioKart and Smash would be a very close second.

Chaser324

Banned
At this point, I think the consensus is clear, but I'll join in with the chorus saying it's easily the PS1.

The N64 and Saturn both have some great games, some of them debatably better than the best of the PS1, but their libraries don't have nearly the size or breadth. The PS1 has classics in every single genre, and I'm still to this day discovering great stuff buried in the depths of its library.

Breakaway

PS1. Best controller out of the three and its combination of exclusives and third party titles make it an easy choice. Rayman, Ape Escape, Driver, Spyro, Spider-Man, Tekken, MGS, Crusader No Remorse... just too many to list.

Also, it still has the greatest boot up screen ever made.

Top Bottom