• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you don't wish to accept the new Steam Subscriber Agreement...

Jader7777

Banned
I've always been disgusted with Steam and Steam's support

I've been locked out of my account for the past 4 years because I forgot the password. I cannot get it back, even though I have access to the email attached to the account. I guess Steam is really just a fad. It's just Big Fish Games clone. Good one Valve.

All my PC games are stand alone .exe files and I'm not changing that. *Crosses arms*

The problem is that many digital distribution lovers use the "you don't own the game just a license to use the product" defense for Valve especially.

Which is very ironic when they always say that to physical media owners, considering that DD fanboys are just downloading the games in the first place going by a digital copy.

Game Guru

Banned / locked accounts have an easier time of accessing their games that people in good standing who don't agree to the new ToS. It's absurd.

Yeah... I understand the problem and want Steam to allow people who had declined to have access to their already bought games. I'm just disappointed that you cheated to get access to TF2, which is more a service than a product at this point.

Valnen

There are plenty that don't require Steam to keep me happy.

Origin only has 251 games (I just checked) and GoG is all old stuff. If you are a PC gamer that regularly buys new games there is no viable alternative.

I should also note that Origin has taken away people's games before too.

Veezy

que?
There are plenty that don't require Steam to keep me happy.

If the reason you don't want to play steam is you're dissatisfied with being unable to enter into a class action lawsuit, than you really don't have too many options. Does gog even allow those still? I know EA doesn't.

I've been locked out of my account for the past 4 years because I forgot the password. I cannot get it back, even though I have access to the email attached to the account. I guess Steam is really just a fad. It's just Big Fish Games clone. Good one Valve.

Huh? Isn't there a "forgot your password?" option? And you have access to the email you registered with? Am I missing something?

Valnen

If the reason you don't want to play steam is you're dissatisfied with being unable to enter into a class action lawsuit, than you really don't have too many options. Does gog even allow those still? I know EA doesn't.

Not to mention EA takes away people's games on a whim.

Buy the physical copy or Amazon. You might get drm, but most physical games don't require steam.

Physical copy is the same. You only have a license to use it.

All my PC games are stand alone .exe files and I'm not changing that. *Crosses arms*

....So click on the "Forgot Password?" button...

Game Guru

Origin only has 251 games (I just checked) and GoG is all old stuff. If you are a PC gamer that regularly buys new games there is no viable alternative.

Also, doesn't Origin and Amazon have agreements which also ban class action lawsuits now? You really can't use those services without being a hypocrite, though Origin does allow you to play the games you've already bought. I also expect most new games now will have an agreement like this. Hell, I expect Windows 8 to have an agreement like this.

Not to mention EA takes away people's games on a whim.

No they don't. I didn't accept the new terms, and I was not denied any of my games. Steam is currently worse out of the two.

The point is being denied access to games for doing nothing wrong. The point is the Steam criminals as you would see it have more rights. Steam is the only case where people are losing access to there library. Steam is currently the only one that is using it as leverage to force supporters into blindly agreeing to there terms.

Also, doesn't Origin and Amazon have agreements which also ban class action lawsuits now?

Does that matter when people are saying there is no alternatives? That was a response to that and that alone.

Jader7777

Banned
Huh? Isn't there a "forgot your password?" option? And you have access to the email you registered with? Am I missing something?

Put on your reading glasses!

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4988-DHXV-7272

I never remember making a secret question for the account. If I did the secret question's answer would of been "1" with the question being "Type in 1"

Are they DRM free though? If not, you might discover some really unpleasant situations when trying to reinstall them in the future.

They sure are! No DRM what so ever. If a game has any sort of DRM, aside from like... a installation CD key I just don't play it.

Don't worry though, there's lots of PC games with no DRM. Actually they're the best games.

Also, doesn't Origin and Amazon have agreements which also ban class action lawsuits now? You really can't use those services without being a hypocrite, though Origin does allow you to play the games you've already bought. I also expect most new games now will have an agreement like this. Hell, I expect Windows 8 to have an agreement like this.

If I had a nickel everytime someone falsely brought out the h-word on the Internet when what they really mean is "You aren't living up 100% infallibly and uncompromisingly to your stated principles so everything you say is invalid" even though that's an impossible standard to hold.

Anyway, not like it hasn't been stated several dozen times already, but the crucial difference is Amazon and GOG can't revoke your access to already downloaded games if you disagree with their terms or they change the terms. If I downloaded the game already, they can change the terms to whatever they want, I'll still have my fucking games. See how Steam's action is a wee bit more intrusive?

inm8num2

I haven't been asked to agree to the new subscriber agreement. I haven't played a Steam game in a couple weeks so maybe that's the reason.

That's what publishers say. That doesn't make it true. Do you always accept what publishers say as absolute truth? Have you even ever read an EULA for anything? They're so restrictive that you violate them anyway without even knowing it if you so much as mod a game or use a third-party config.

Jader7777

Banned
So the secret questions appears to you and you don't know the answer?

Sorry, never happened to me.

No, there's no secret question option because I never made them.

I made a Steam account to play the Orange Box. Back then it was a quick sign up process

Then I had to download the Steam Client

Put the disk in

Install the game

Put in the CD key thing (There were like, 3 of them because the Orange Box was 3 games)

Then I had to find the games in my steam library (Remember it being really difficult at the time)

Launch the game

Game crashes and demands update

Update the game 6kbps/648MB EST TIME: 2 days 8 hours

Go away, do something else for half a week.

Come back, open the game.

START PLAYING THROUGH THE WHOLE ORANGEBOX.

???

Try to log back in a few months later. Forget the password?

Try to find support

Navigate horrid website

Find email of support, send email.

Wait a day.

Get the reply to make a Steam Support Account (separate from the Steam Account)

Make a support issue in Steam

Wait a day or three

Get the reply of "Your account requires credentials to gain access". They want to know what game you bought, when you bought it, proof of purchase, serial codes on the games case (now in land fill), bank account details w/ specific card used to make the purchase.

frustration.jpg

Game Guru

Does that matter when people are saying there is no alternatives? That was a response to that and that alone.

Yes, it does. If someone doesn't like Valve because they are using a new agreement with a clause they don't like and are boycotting Valve because of it, then they also shouldn't be using services with that also have an agreement with that clause in it. Otherwise, it's just hating on Valve for keeping up with the Jones's.

Now if it's "I don't mind the agreement, but locking people out of their games for not agreeing is a crappy move, Gaben, so I'm supporting your competition now," that would be consistent.

Don't worry though, there's lots of PC games with no DRM. Actually they're the best games.

Holf your horses there :). Some of the best games are available DRM free,but there are a lot of Steamwork titles that you would not like to be without, and who wants to miss out on upcoming titles like XCOM?

Then I had to find the games in my steam library (Remember it being really difficult at the time)

No, just no. Don´t try that one. :) I started using Steam at the release of the Orange Box also, and if you thought it was actually hard to find the game in the library list, then I´m suprised that you were even able to turn on your computer. That part must be a joke. :)

Yes, it does. If someone doesn't like Valve because they are using a new agreement with a clause they don't like and are boycotting Valve because of it, then they also shouldn't be using services with that also have an agreement with that clause in it. Otherwise, it's just hating on Valve for keeping up with the Jones's.

Now if it's "I don't mind the agreement, but locking people out of their games for not agreeing is a crappy move, Gaben, so I'm supporting your competition now," that would be consistent.

But if there boycotting because Steam is the only one actually revoking games by not agreeing retroactively. I fail to see the problem.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If I had a nickel everytime someone falsely brought out the h-word on the Internet when what they really mean is "You aren't living up 100% infallibly and uncompromisingly to your stated principles so everything you say is invalid" even though that's an impossible standard to hold.

Anyway, not like it hasn't been stated several dozen times already, but the crucial difference is Amazon and GOG can't revoke your access to already downloaded games if you disagree with their terms or they change the terms. If I downloaded the game already, they can change the terms to whatever they want, I'll still have my fucking games. See how Steam's action is a wee bit more intrusive?
But if there boycotting because Steam is the only one actually revoking games by not agreeing retroactively. I fail to see the problem.

last time I checked in this thread you can still play your games when you are banned.

Jader7777

Banned
Holf your horses there :). Some of the best games are available DRM free,but there are a lot of Steamwork titles that you would not like to be without, and who wants to miss out on upcoming titles like XCOM?

I really liked X-COM: Apocalypse. But that was using MS-DOS.

Do you really think the newest game will be better than the previous? In any case because it's on steam I'm not going to get it, after all I can still play the classics without restraint.

I am, the crux of the argument people here has is that "at least even if I get banned from their EULA I can still play their games".

So I have to lower my personal values, be dishonest and accept the terms, and then get banned for no reason so I can still play games.

WTF kind of argument is that?

BillyBats

Banned

2/10

When you say "Steam is really just a fad." Do you really mean that? Is your anger really because you couldn't get ONE game to work? Nah, you're too stubborn to have the patience to actually speak to a human being for two minutes to get your game to work. Now, go get your fucking shinebox.

2/10

When you say "Steam is really just a fad." Do you really mean that? Is your anger really because you couldn't get ONE game to work? Nah, you're too stubborn to have the patience to actually speak to a human being for two minutes to get your game to work. Now, go get your fucking shinebox.

Calm down. No need to swear/attack at someone for stating their personal experiences. I know it's not the experience you want to hear.

2/10

So much hate here. Don't get angry at someone who had a bad experience with Steam. This post reeks of unneeded defense.

Game Guru

You need to pay attention. I actually mentioned that in the post you quoted that it was reasonable provided that they don't mind the additional clause otherwise in buying games in general. If they did mind the clause and disagreed with it, then they shouldn't be supporting Origin or Amazon for the same reason since I would assume they disagreed when those service's agreements were changed as well.

I really liked X-COM: Apocalypse. But that was using MS-DOS.

Do you really think the newest game will be better than the previous? In any case because it's on steam I'm not going to get it, after all I can still play the classics without restraint.

It might be, and 19 years after the release of the orginal. I sure want to try a new title in the series.

It´s an example of a highly anticipated title that will require Steamworks, and it´s just an example of games that you will miss out on. And while I can understand a lot of the frustration with Steam, if they didn´t have Steam they would have something else to replace it.

This example is a 2k title. You what they used before Steam? A combination of Games for Windows Live and Securom, both with limited activations. A set of activations that not even the publisher themselves understood (trust me, I had a long conversation with their community manager about the issue). None of us wants that again.

You need to pay attention. I actually mentioned that in the post you quoted that it was reasonable provided that they don't mind the additional clause otherwise in buying games in general. If they did mind the clause and disagreed with it, then they shouldn't be supporting Origin or Amazon for the same reason since I would assume they disagreed when those service's agreements were changed as well.

Steam is acting on something nobody else has. Some of us don't want that to be the trend and we boycott. They are the only ones doing this and that is what's boycotted. You would hear me boycotting others if they were actually removing access to content retroactively. This anti-consumer bribe is atrocious. A lot of innocent people were marketed by steam that they purchased the game, not rented it.

If you don't like the boycott, then sit there and pout.

BTW: XCOM isn't going to be the end all be all game. I am sure a lot of people don't even know it exists.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I have to lower my personal values, be dishonest and accept the terms, and then get banned for no reason so I can still play games.

WTF kind of argument is that?

The problem is that people make it so that Steam is "unique" even though other services do the same thing.

And you won't get banned for not agreeing the terms. You can request to have your account to be deactivated (while keeping games) though.

The problem is that people make it so that Steam is "unique" in that when other services do the same thing.

They are unique, they are the only one locking their consumers out of previous purchased content.

Can the other ones do it, sure...are they...NO. There is a difference between someone with a gun who doesn't use it and someone who uses it freely.

Top Bottom